Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2020, 14:53   #2656
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Electrolyte imbalance.
For the longer term stability of the electrolytes (and hence working of muscles, neurons / nerve cells, etc. that have critical dependence on electrolyte balance), it might be good to occasionally mix up (keep changing) the electrolyte sources - rock salts; coconut water; sports drinks like gatorade; etc...

Last edited by Miyata : 18th April 2020 at 14:55.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2020, 16:38   #2657
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
... it might be good to occasionally mix up (keep changing) the electrolyte sources - rock salts; coconut water; sports drinks like gatorade; etc...
The only problem with these options is that they will break the fast which @vibbs wants to maintain during the workouts.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 20:36   #2658
Senior - BHPian

What are the options to build some muscle mass along with the IF+LCHF, particularly in this current situation of no access to gyms.

With the fasting and moderate cardios, the weight loss is happening consistently, but at the same time I feel like the muscles has shrunk a bit, especially on the biceps and shoulders. Anything to bulk up those muscles? Have a dumb bell, will that plus some added protein intake would work?
Old 21st April 2020, 06:09   #2659
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
What are the options to build some muscle mass along with the IF+LCHF, particularly in this current situation of no access to gyms.

With the fasting and moderate cardios, the weight loss is happening consistently, but at the same time I feel like the muscles has shrunk a bit, especially on the biceps and shoulders. Anything to bulk up those muscles? Have a dumb bell, will that plus some added protein intake would work?
There are lots of indoor workouts possible with just dumbbells and body weight exercises. Just do a search with the phrase "strength training at home" in YouTube and there are tons of videos.

PS: I have been a fan of workout series like P90X, P90X2, Lift4 and follow these workout programs at home. Right now, I am doing the P90X2 series.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 06:40   #2660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
There are lots of indoor workouts possible with just dumbbells and body weight exercises. Just do a search with the phrase "strength training at home" in YouTube and there are tons of videos.

PS: I have been a fan of workout series like P90X, P90X2, Lift4 and follow these workout programs at home. Right now, I am doing the P90X2 series.
Well I tried half an hour of PS9X today (Tony Horton) Must say its harder than running 5Kms in 30 mins!
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2020, 14:30   #2661

Since the gyms are going to be closed for a really long time now, I am planning to buy a robust treadmill once the lockdown is lifted/eased and have shortlisted Sole F80/85. Only concern is Sole treadmills are super heavy and my house is on 3rd floor with no lift. Not sure how feasible the delivery will be. Does anyone on forum owns Sole F80/F85? How is the performance?
Old 1st May 2020, 13:24   #2662
Team-BHP Support

I have been doing various forms of intermittent fasting like 16:8, 20:4 and OMAD for the past couple of years (could be a little more). I have never tried anything longer than OMAD.

Did my first 48 hour fast yesterday. Started the fast at 11:30 on 28th April and ended it at 11:30 on 30th April. Throughout the 48 hours, had only black coffee and green tea.

The most important thing during long fasts is maintaining electrolyte balance. This is done by adding some salt. Had a couple of glasses of lime juice with salt for this. Purists don't recommend lime and recommend keeping a teaspoon of sale below the tongue. But somehow, I could not do this and I made an exception for some lemon. Kept it to quarter lemon.

Was feeling quite strong at the end of 48 hours. Could have extended it to 72 hours. But as this is my first long fast, wanted to keep it as planned and ended at 48 hours. Will try a 72 hour fast after a couple of months.

The Weight Loss Thread-48-hour-fast.jpeg
graaja is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 13:46   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
Started the fast at 11:30 on 28th April and ended it at 11:30 on 30th April. Throughout the 48 hours, had only black coffee and green tea.
Did you face any issues with black coffee on an empty stomach?

Have read reports on it in the past that have mostly recommended against it. However, I do occasionally still take it on empty stomach!
Old 1st May 2020, 14:33   #2664
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Have read reports on it in the past that have mostly recommended against it. However, I do occasionally still take it on empty stomach!
Black coffee on an empty stomach is like pouring acid down your stomach linings.

It is the worst thing to do. I always have fruits before the occasional coffee (twice a month). I have almost eliminated it from my routine. Even green tea is better had after a fruit like a banana.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 14:36   #2665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I haven’t had any issues. Have been drinking black coffee for many years. But I think it also depends on individual gut makeup. I have seen some people not ok with it.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 14:41   #2666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Black coffee on an empty stomach is like pouring acid down your stomach linings.

It is the worst thing to do. I always have fruits before the occasional coffee (twice a month). I have almost eliminated it from my routine. Even green tea is better had after a fruit like a banana.
Black coffee is not acidic. I gave up milk tea and coffee eight months ago due to acidity. Since then I always start my day with a cup of black coffee and additional cups throughout the day when I feel like. Happy to report that I don't have any acidity complaints till date.

I follow 16:8 IF (or even 20:4 rarely) diet and even the strongest of black coffee hasn't had any side effects for me.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st May 2020 at 14:43.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:09   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
That was largely what I had gathered from my reading on the subject. There is one anecdotal reference that I am familiar with - a friend from Kerala. Her dad expired from colon cancer. He was vegetarian. Never smoked/drank/etc. His only issue, apparently, was he would drink tea/coffee everyday on empty stomach.

Quote:
I haven’t had any issues. Have been drinking black coffee for many years. But I think it also depends on individual gut makeup. I have seen some people not ok with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I follow 16:8 IF (or even 20:4 rarely) diet and even the strongest of black coffee hasn't had any side effects for me.
As you guys state from your experience, I presumed there must also be some truth to Warren Buffett who gulps in coke and burgers and speaks highly of "personal metabolism!"
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:11   #2668
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree, could be personal biology. I would rather not task my system more than what we are already putting it through, i guess.

Also been advised by the doctors on this.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:22   #2669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That was largely what I had gathered from my reading on the subject. There is one anecdotal reference that I am familiar with - a friend from Kerala. Her dad expired from colon cancer. He was vegetarian. Never smoked/drank/etc. His only issue, apparently, was he would drink tea/coffee everyday on empty stomach.
Quote:
I agree, could be personal biology. I would rather not task my system more than what we are already putting it through, i guess.

Also been advised by the doctors on this.
If I may ask, was it milk tea/coffee that is a concern or if the beverage, in any form, was suggested to be avoided on empty stomach?

My family doctors have always blamed the milk added to tea or coffee which makes it acidic. If we remove the milk then drink isn't harmful. So far from my experience, I have found them to be correct.

Last edited by ashis89 : 1st May 2020 at 15:29. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2020, 15:26   #2670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
If I may ask, was it milk tea/coffee that is a concern or if the beverage, in any form, was suggested to avoided on empty stomach?

My family doctors have always blamed the milk added to tea or coffee which makes it acidic. If we remove the milk then drink isn't harmful. So far from my experience, I have found them to be correct.
Could be in all honesty. I didn't check.

I also wanted to delimit my dependence on coffee as a morning starter. Now i have coffee strictly as a mood stimulant; in the event i feel a little low once i am up and haven't gotten through the morning yoga yet.

Milk has also been out of my system for a while now. Yoghurt or curd is something I cant do without for good measure.

You can add trump along with warren who keep beating all the diet myths.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks