Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2014, 10:50   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Answers below from my side

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thanks for the tip on how to use the treadmill. But my query is still unanswered.
1. Manual or automatic treadmill?
motorized , manual is of no practical use.

Quote:
2. Points to consider when buying a treadmill
Service costs and availability , In my personal view at the cost of decent teadmill you can get 2 year gym membership in top quality gym which is much better option
Quote:
3. Which brand. Aeroflot, Maxfit ?
Haven't heard about these brands precor and technogym are two good treadmills brands I have seen.
Old 30th October 2014, 10:57   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accent Martin View Post
coming to the difference between running on treadmill v/s ground, my reasoning is that - On a treadmill, one is just jumping at the same place (because the belt is running) and NOT pushing the ground to move forward.
If you run on the ground, your legs are actually pushing the ground to keep the next step and then the other and the running continues.
Not possible.
Try consciously jumping at one place while the belt (motorized of course) moves back. [Do not actually try this because you will move backwards along with the belt and perhaps fall down]

The laws of physics will not change for foot-ground interaction and foot-treadmill interaction. The foot needs to push the ground/treadmill behind in order to move forward. In case of treadmill the whole intertial frame of reference (that is the belt) moves back by an equal velocity, therefore to an observer outside this frame (= treadmill), the person's velocity appears zero.

Last edited by alpha1 : 30th October 2014 at 11:08.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:07   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Service costs and availability , In my personal view at the cost of decent teadmill you can get 2 year gym membership in top quality gym which is much better option
Unable to find a good gym and unpractical working hours. So if we have this at home, we can use it whenever time permits.
Quote:
precor and technogym are two good treadmills brands I have seen.
I have never heard or seen these brands elsewhere. But will hunt for those.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:29   #1114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
How is it different from walking or running on ground?
Wind resistance?
Well Alpha there is a difference in practical sense when you run on ground the surface is uneven and smaller muscles get activated.

From point of view of physics the fictional coefficient is same on the belt and also the minor undulations are not there however on ground there are huge differences between tar , gravel , grass, sand ,pavement etc.

There are always subtle differences in effort required when one runs on road , sand , hard ground , gravel etc and effort on treadmill is definitely different.

Last edited by amitk26 : 30th October 2014 at 11:31.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:42   #1115
BHPian

Instead of a treadmill, I would prefer mid-range magnetic cycle. Safe for knees (on treadmill your knees take good pounding), cheap, can be easily shifted and does not take much space. Excellent for long term usage.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:47   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well Alpha there is a difference in practical sense when you run on ground the surface is uneven and smaller muscles get activated.

From point of view of physics the fictional coefficient is same on the belt and also the minor undulations are not there however on ground there are huge differences between tar , gravel , grass, sand ,pavement etc.

There are always subtle differences in effort required when one runs on road , sand , hard ground , gravel etc and effort on treadmill is definitely different.
Yes you are right, but then as you have said it yourself (but in different fashion, and therefore you may not agree with what follows) the difference is also between running on sand, concrete, soil, gravel, etc ... and now add treadmill to this list.

Actually I was reading about running biomechanics, it seems that our feets & legs perform the best while running barefoot.

The whole shoe thing actually screws up the minor balance and reaction aspect and causes injury to ankle knee and hip joints over a period of time.
Old 16th November 2014, 09:41   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Instead of a treadmill, I would prefer mid-range magnetic cycle. Safe for knees (on treadmill your knees take good pounding), cheap, can be easily shifted and does not take much space. Excellent for long term usage.
I am looking for weighloss and to reduce belly fat.

Do we have any checklist for buying a treadmill. We have decided to get one at the earliest. As of now details I have gathered are as below,

1. Motorised
2. Horsepower should be between 1.5 to 2.5
3. 5 yrs warranty on motor, 2 years on parts and atlas 1 year on service
4. Belt should be atleast 4 ft in length and 1.5ft in width
5. Speed max to 16KPH

Am i missing something or bang on target.
Old 16th November 2014, 12:50   #1118
Senior - BHPian

I have started fighting with my weight recently. I am 186 cms tall and 106 kgs, which in other words means - very obese.

I have split my weight loss program into two parts. In the first part, I need to lose about 11 kgs and get to 95 kgs. In the second part, I need to lose about 6-8 kgs more and be within the 85-90 kgs zone. I am not directly aiming at 85 kgs because I think it may seem impossible and demotivate me. That said, losing 11 kgs now is also no easy task.

I have joined the gym and my aim is to lose weight as well as tony my body, especially reduce the belly fat. I do the following:

* 30 minutes of cardio - 20 minutes of treadmill (brisk-walking at 6.5) and 10 mins of cycling.
* 30 minutes of weights - light to medium heavy, concentrating more on repetitions.

Any expert opinion is appreciated.
Old 16th November 2014, 12:58   #1119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am i missing something or bang on target.
Recently got the Sole F63 treadmill. Its an amazing piece of machine. Here are few things that you may need to consider:

1. Continuous HP rating of 2.5 plus if you are over 100 Kgs
2. There should be a cushion system to ease the strain on your legs
3. 2 feet in width and 5 feet in length is recommended if you are planning to jog.
4. Auto incline is definitely a nice to have feature which brakes the monotony of the exercise regime.
5. Please avoid Chinese/ Taiwanese products. Invest on a good machine that is likely to last for a lifetime.

Old 16th November 2014, 13:21   #1120
BHPian

The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Recently got the Sole F63 treadmill.
Just paid a visit to a fitness store and looked at the treadmill range. Brand was bodygym. The store keeper is indeed a fitness freak for last 12 yrs.

He patiently enquired what is the need and my profession. Then suggested to go for the magnetic elliptical cross trainer. Explained the difference between fibre, stainless steel and magnetic cycles. His theory was, treadmill gives back and knee pain on prolonged use. Cross trainers are manual and effective. Did try all 3 uses diabetic, cardio and weightloss technique. Pretty satisfied and might go for it.
Old 16th November 2014, 21:11   #1121
BHPian

I switched to a Keto diet. Lost close to 25 kilos in 90days, waist down by 5-6 inches. Cholesterol well under control ldl dropped significantly and hdl up to healthy levels. Starting weight training from tomorrow and hope to lose some remaining fat now.

Time for a wardrobe makeover now.
Old 16th November 2014, 22:24   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I switched to a Keto diet. Lost close to 25 kilos in 90days, waist down by 5-6 inches. Cholesterol well under control ldl dropped significantly and hdl up to healthy levels. Starting weight training from tomorrow and hope to lose some remaining fat now.

Time for a wardrobe makeover now.
Can you please explain your diet routine and physical workout that you did in keto diet in detail.

Thanks in advance
Old 16th November 2014, 23:54   #1123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unable to find a good gym and unpractical working hours. So if we have this at home, we can use it whenever time permits
Please note: Weight reduction/control is mainly by diet and not by workout. (Thats my view. Not sure if others would agree). A work out is mainly to build up your metabolic rate and also to redistribute your body composition and to tone it up. Weight control is strictly by maintaining your diet. Even if you walk a regular 7-8km a day for about 60-80 minutes, that should give enough to keep your metabolic rate high. But make sure you have a solid control on your dieting regimen and you can start seeing results as early as week.

But more importantly its ALL about maintaining that reduced weight. Hence to need to have a regularity of diet is extremely crucial. And also please choose a work out regimen (gym, walk etc) which you are happy doing it every day rather than thinking.. .Oh Man I need to slog it out!

Last edited by ampere : 17th November 2014 at 00:00.
Old 17th November 2014, 10:34   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Can you please explain your diet routine and physical workout that you did in keto diet in detail.

Thanks in advance
There is no particular routine. You need to get your body into a state called Ketosis where you are letting your body use the stored fat for its energy needs rather than the sugars you normally get from food namely carbs. To get into Ketosis, you simply cut down carbs completely and stick to proteins and fat (yes fat!). There are numerous resources available on this topic on the net.

http://www.ruled.me/
http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutr...etosis-dummies
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/keto.htm

In a nutshell you are feeding your body with 5% carbs, 20-25% protein and 70-75% fat based on your dietary requirement. It is not an easy diet given that you cannot consume rice, roti, bread, pasta, noodles, potato, sugar, fruits and a host of veggies.

Firstly, figure out how much of each Macronutrient you can consume. You can calculate this here http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
Then select the foods that you would like to consume and plan your diet accordingly. Refer to the food list here http://nobunplease.com/ketogenic-diet-food-list/

You can do this for a stretch of 12 weeks continuously before taking a break for a week and restarting again till you reach your targets.

If you have any special medical conditions, it is better to consult your doctor before starting this diet or any diet for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Please note: Weight reduction/control is mainly by diet and not by workout. (Thats my view. Not sure if others would agree).
Completely agree! I am a living example. I have lost close to 25 kilos without any exercise, not even walking. Now my exercise routine starts to get me into shape.
Old 17th November 2014, 10:42   #1125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Completely agree! I am a living example. I have lost close to 25 kilos without any exercise, not even walking. Now my exercise routine starts to get me into shape.
I try to maintain a similar dieting regimen. But yes, I am not that stringent, as my needs to reduce are not that dire. Once in a while I do indulge with carbs. Else its the same as you mention!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks