Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 22:06   #1216
BHPian

If you need to lose weight, make an agreement with your mind and ensure you follow it to the core. If you look at balancing carbs, proteins, vitamins, you could go bonkers.

I had to lose weight some years back and this is what I did..

A glass of water or more on waking up.

Early morning brisk walk for an hour, followed by light exercise.

Breakfast consisted of cereals with milk, or idli at times (considered most nutritious)

Boiled vegetables, salad or anything seemed for lunch.

Mid morning and afternoon snack would consist of either fruits or khakras.

Dinner used to be soup with salad an maybe a bowl of rice.

I used to carry 3 litres of water everyday and ensure its consumed by evening. An empty stomach could lead to acidity, hence small sips of water helped.

The walk, exercise and controlled diet helped me reduce 10 kilos in two months.

What's important, is not to starve yourself and ensure your walk and exercise daily.

Warning: Would achieve the result, however difficult to maintain in our present lifestyle.

Disclaimer: This is the regimen I followed and helped me, and in no way constitutes as a guarantee towards weight loss.
Old 20th March 2015, 11:11   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
An empty stomach could lead to acidity, hence small sips of water helped.
I have never understood this point that everyone makes.
How can empty stomach cause acidity?
Stomach acids are secreted upon stimulation (= anticipation and/or filling of stomach).
Since the stomach is empty in our case, the filling stimulation doesn't take place. So anticipation of food remains. But if that was to cause acidity - we all would be walking around with acids in our mouth 24 hr a day because of all the sights and smells emanated by the junk food that we are always surrounded by.
Old 20th March 2015, 11:42   #1218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have never understood this point that everyone makes.
How can empty stomach cause acidity?
Stomach acids are secreted upon stimulation (= anticipation and/or filling of stomach).
Since the stomach is empty in our case, the filling stimulation doesn't take place. So anticipation of food remains. But if that was to cause acidity - we all would be walking around with acids in our mouth 24 hr a day because of all the sights and smells emanated by the junk food that we are always surrounded by.
Valid point. Thats what even I have been saying to many. Many a times people comment that they cant fast because they would get acidity problem. To which my answer is: Thats because for transient phase, body would expect food at that point in time, when it always gets its food. Hence acidity for the transient phase. But that should go away as slowly it will stop anticipating availability of food.
Old 20th March 2015, 11:47   #1219
BHPian

Hey buddy

Am no doc, though I have been advised to have short meals/snacks every four hours, what I related was my personal experience. To cut it short, weight loss through a controlled diet and exercise would sustain longer. Each one had to decide and make a decision. Once the mind gets tuned, nothing can stop you.
Old 20th March 2015, 11:54   #1220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
Hey buddy

Am no doc, though I have been advised to have short meals/snacks every four hours, what I related was my personal experience. To cut it short, weight loss through a controlled diet and exercise would sustain longer. Each one had to decide and make a decision. Once the mind gets tuned, nothing can stop you.
Very true. What works for you is the best. Fundamentally its never about weight loss. Its about sustaining what you hold and at the same time keeping fit.
Old 20th March 2015, 15:12   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Valid point. Thats what even I have been saying to many. Many a times people comment that they cant fast because they would get acidity problem. To which my answer is: Thats because for transient phase, body would expect food at that point in time, when it always gets its food. Hence acidity for the transient phase. But that should go away as slowly it will stop anticipating availability of food.
I am going further than that by saying that it shouldn't occur at all!!!

"if that was to cause acidity - we all would be walking around with acids in our mouth 24 hr a day because of all the sights and smells emanated by the junk food that we are always surrounded by"

A normal person eating full meals 3 times a day. What happens between these meal times? Your stomach is empty. But someone next to you is eating his french fries at say 6 pm - do you start getting acidity?

The person next to me, as I write this, has opened his box of khakra - do I start getting acidity now that the smell has stimulated me?

In addition, if the programmed stimulation to meal timings causes acidity - then nearly everyone should be walking around with temporary acidity - because hardly anyone eats at exact same time every meal every day.

Last edited by alpha1 : 20th March 2015 at 15:15.
Old 20th March 2015, 15:32   #1222
BHPian

Hey Alpha 1
Your point is well noted. Like I said it's a personal experience. Each individuals body constituency behaves in a different manner. You have an argument, but remember your stomach as you feel may be empty, but all food intake you had last may have not digested completely. Some remnants in the colon is what causes the gases. No doc; like I said, just what I was advised on having same doubts like yours.
Cheers buddy.
Old 20th March 2015, 15:45   #1223
Senior - BHPian

I din't think before a year that I would ever need to visit this thread, but well. Duh !

I am 5.7 inches tall and weigh 68 kgs, but I have started to get a paunch and have put on mass on my face. Both of them are looking ugly. I want to get rid of both. Suggestions please.
Old 20th March 2015, 16:25   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I din't think before a year that I would ever need to visit this thread, but well. Duh !

I am 5.7 inches tall and weigh 68 kgs, but I have started to get a paunch and have put on mass on my face. Both of them are looking ugly. I want to get rid of both. Suggestions please.
Same boat!

I put on 10kg after I quit gym in 2013 November. 5'11" and 82kg.

Now have new "tyres". But not the ones auto enthusiasts will appreciate!
Old 20th March 2015, 16:48   #1225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
[/i]A normal person eating full meals 3 times a day. What happens between these meal times? Your stomach is empty. But someone next to you is eating his french fries at say 6 pm - do you start getting acidity?
All I meant was if one regularly eats food at say 12PM then based on that body clock at 12 body may anticipate food and hence may produce the digestive juices. But once that clock resets as one stop eating at that time, 2-3 days / week etc.. that anticipation also goes away.

I never meant about seeing some eatable and body producing digestive juices.
Old 20th March 2015, 19:47   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
I am 5.7 inches tall
I hope and think you meant 5.7 feet!

For weightloss tips, read this thread, there is a lot of info here. Make sure you corroborate what you read and decide what suits you the best.
Old 20th March 2015, 20:04   #1227
BHPian

Any suggestions for : How to lose face fat. I do jogging 5 days a week. Veg by diet and not a food lover. Walk a lot, under 5 km, I prefer to walk.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th March 2015 at 20:19. Reason: Spell-check. good -> food. ;)
Old 20th March 2015, 20:33   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I hope and think you meant 5.7 feet!

Yeah, 5 feet 7 inches. I would have been asking for advice on growing tall otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Any suggestions for : How to lose face fat. I do jogging 5 days a week. Veg by diet and not a food lover. Walk a lot, under 5 km, I prefer to walk.
Yes, same here. Someone please advice.
Old 20th March 2015, 20:55   #1229
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you can target any particular part of your body for losing fat. Your body decides where it needs to lose weight from.
Old 20th March 2015, 21:10   #1230
BHPian

^^ Exactly. All you can do is to target for total fat reduction and that will definitely show on your face as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks