Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2015, 23:19   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Let's not forget- it's not just intake, man was probably also burning a lot more calories back in the day. No cars. A lot more walking. Physical labor / farming.

That could be a reason my grandparents (and their parents too, from family photos) were slim/fit whereas my current and previous generations are both fat as hell. Same genetics but lot less calorie burning and more intake.
Interestingly, I think Indians today are in an obesity epidemic we havent really acknowledged.

I spent 3.5 months in brisbane recently. People there are so incredibly fit - its all about the lifestyle. They run / cycle so much and are always outdoors.

Coming back to India (and looking in the mirror) I was ashamed of how fat we all are (esp the standard office goer!)!
Old 17th March 2015, 12:11   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

Though, I don't have any objection with early dinner philosophy, how does early dinner vs late dinner help in terms of weight loss?
Well this early dinner is an interesting thing to discuss, I travel a lot as part of my work and in all the 17-18 countries I have visited no where dinner time is as late as urban India. People on this thread my corroborate or refute my points as these are just my observations and I have no hard data at hand.

Europeans , Koreans , Japanese , Americans eat out more then us and obesity in middle , upper middle class is less then Indians. In most of the OCED countries obesity is associated with poverty.

In Europe most of the dinner invitations are around 6:30 and people wind up by 8:00 and there may be after party. Similarly Korean and Japanese have dinner around 6:00 in USA also 8:30 ( which is considered early dinner here is quite late at most of the places) .

Even in India traditional dinner used to be before dark , I think this late dinner phenomenon after 9:30 is due to ever long working hours / commute times and stressed lifestyle.

PS: I am not doing any better personally my dinner also gets pushed to 9:30 / 10:00 due to many factors but I remember in my childhood it used to be 7:30 -8:00 at the time of Chitrahar on Doordarshan and before 8:40 news bulletin.
Old 17th March 2015, 14:16   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
17-18 countries I have visited no where dinner time is as late as urban India
In China as well people have early dinners.

During my first visit, it was a big big surprise to go straight for dinner at 6.30 after the day's meetings were over. Expectedly, the Indian gang used to crave tea/coffee at that time! On the first day, I realised that I was hungry and thus sleepless by 11, but got used to it in a couple of days.
Old 17th March 2015, 14:33   #1204
BHPian

If we have dinner as early as 6:30pm, will we not feel hungry again around 9:30-10:00 in the night?

Is there a way to avoid the hunger/cravings?
Old 17th March 2015, 14:58   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
If we have dinner as early as 6:30pm, will we not feel hungry again around 9:30-10:00 in the night?

There is none for me at least. I had multiple such cases in Brisbane - we'd go for dinner at 6:30 or 7pm, and by midnight (we worked till 1-2 daily) I'd either need to be asleep or grab some snacks. It would often end up being some salad or such, but not eating wasn't really an option!
Old 17th March 2015, 15:05   #1206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Most people who have dinner at 6:30 usually have early breakfasts,
Usual time between breakfast and dinner is 10 - 12 hours so I think body adjusts after initial few days.
Old 17th March 2015, 16:48   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
as early as
6.30 is way too early in modern life given office and travel constraints. But for many 8.00 pm dinner is possible.
Old 17th March 2015, 17:40   #1208
BHPian

It is also because of our working hours. We typically start our work day between 9am and 10am and end after 6 PM and reach home between 7pm and 8pm or later. Typical European working hours are 7.30 - 4pm and it helps in having early dinner.

I tried to have similar working hours in my office but no one wanted to come in before 9am and preferred going late rather than coming in early.
Old 17th March 2015, 20:09   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
6.30 is way too early in modern life given office and travel constraints. But for many 8.00 pm dinner is possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
It is also because of our working hours. We typically start our work day between 9am and 10am and end after 6 PM and reach home between 7pm and 8pm or later. Typical European working hours are 7.30 - 4pm and it helps in having early dinner.

I tried to have similar working hours in my office but no one wanted to come in before 9am and preferred going late rather than coming in early.

My thoughts exactly. Plus sleeping earlier than 10:30pm is not possible either, considering the prep for the next day.

Trying to push dinner time to 7:30pm. Earlier than that, I am afraid of snacking before sleep..
Old 17th March 2015, 20:17   #1210
Team-BHP Support

Does a cup of boiled kala chana have carbs

In a zero to very low carb diet, which all boiled daals can be eaten if any ?
Old 18th March 2015, 11:06   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

NONE.
All vegetable matter will have lots of carbs.
Boiled Channa included.

If you are thinking of low carb paleo style diet - you must be a non vegetarian.

On the other hand, don't bother. Carbs are not as bad as they are painted out to be. Proteins are not as great as they are painted out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
The whole issue with urban Indian is that they have no real life of their own. They have no "to do" stuff once they return home, and anyway their whole concept of getting a life revolves around watching a movie and perhaps getting sloshed on a weekend.
And I don't know where the whole concept of spending time with the family flies away ...

You know what is the real motive of Daylight saving concept in the western world?
They want to catch sunlight once they return home so that they can indulge in sports/gaming activities.
There is a a huge sports and hunting lobby in the western world that will never allow the DST to get diluted/abolished.

Last edited by alpha1 : 18th March 2015 at 11:12.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:46   #1212
BHPian

Quote:

You know what is the real motive of Daylight saving concept in the western world?
They want to catch sunlight once they return home so that they can indulge in sports/gaming activities.
There is a a huge sports and hunting lobby in the western world that will never allow the DST to get diluted/abolished.
OT: but couldn't help adding that even though it's annoying for me here in IST to have my meeting times and on-call times shift around, I like how this not only helps the sports/hunting lobbies do their thing but also cut down on electricity use over there. Currently, my meetings and shifts start an hour early in this warm weather and I quite like it.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:53   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

A1 said it, but for reference, use myfitnesspal - decent info on tracking calories from indian foods in there.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:33   #1214
BHPian

Quote:
If you are thinking of low carb paleo style diet - you must be a non vegetarian.
Paleao diet is also not low carb. It just changes the source of that carb.

Yes, I agree that carb along with fat has got bad name. Till the time one is regular with exercise and eats of fast/convenience/recreational food and sweets occassionaly most of the foods are healthy provided it is balanced.

Eating early won't have any impact on weight loss. Yes, it aids digestion and prevents acidity since one is also using gravity to push things down. Plus one is not heavy when going to bed. To lose weight there is not alternative to spending more calories than what one is taking in.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 18th March 2015 at 12:35.
Old 18th March 2015, 12:36   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The whole issue with urban Indian is that they have no real life of their own. They have no "to do" stuff once they return home, and anyway their whole concept of getting a life revolves around watching a movie and perhaps getting sloshed on a weekend.
And I don't know where the whole concept of spending time with the family flies away ...

You have hit the nail on the head. Get your sleep right, and get your activities right first - your health will be better.

You can lose weight with any diet - low carb-high protein, high-carb-low protein, no carb-no protein (obviously) or even twinkie if you religiously follow them. But losing weight is not health

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks