Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2018, 12:03   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I can understand you giving dosa a miss. But that medu vada is a better alternative to idli is a little difficult to digest (pun unintended). Could you please elaborate.

On the physical and aesthetic transformation that you have undergone, I am mightily impressed. Goes on to reaffirm the old dictum: Where there is a will, there is (indeed) a way. The last photo is actually hard to believe, specially with that new hairstyle. Will certainly inspire many to get back what they have lost or lose what they have gained .
Well he is talking about Low carb high fat diet.

Medy vada is mostly pulses. Idli has rice as well strict No-no for LCHF diet.
Old 17th June 2018, 16:03   #1952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Well he is talking about Low carb high fat diet... vada is mostly pulses. Idli has rice as well strict No-no for LCHF diet.
I think I missed the high fat part of the diet plan. Most summer holidays, when I have to depend solely on hotels for food due to the absence of my home minister, I end up gaining a few kgs; I always ascribed it to my indulgence on the puffed up Vada and not its innocent looking partner Idli .

Time to rethink?

On a slightly different note, while GTO and (The Weight Loss Thread) karthi.stark (for instance) have shared their success stories in photos, here's a meme that reflects a lot of less successful people's tryst with trimming their waistline.

The Weight Loss Thread-img20180617wa0024.jpg

Source: WhatsApp
Old 21st June 2018, 09:17   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, congrats to all who have lost weight. Thanks to advice from Samurai & Ampere, I myself dropped from 92 - 94 kilos to 72 kilos. I was always fit in life, but 5 - 8 years of over indulgences took their toll. Now, my waist is the same as it was in my college days .
Dear GTO

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! I understand how much discipline, commitment and self-restraint goes into a 20 kg weight loss.

I wish you the same level of fitness for several years to come!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As inspiring as all the weight loss stories in this thread are, I have a weight gain / failure story to post this time.

Some of you may remember my weight loss story posted previously in this post (The Weight Loss Thread). That was over a year and a half ago.

The Weight Loss Thread-viju_weight_loss.jpg

Although I sustained my ideal body weight for a few more months, slowly, but surely I lost my motivation, stopped running, gave up on LCHF diet - went back to carbs, sugar, snacking and what not. There have been several false starts in the past one year - so many that my wife now laughs them off - and I never got back on track.

Right now, this is how I look after gaining back 13 out of the 17 kilos that I had lost. Hope this post serves as a reminder to myself and to others that weight loss / fitness is not a one-time thing, but a life-long journey.

The Weight Loss Thread-img_e5230.jpg
The Weight Loss Thread-img_e5231.jpg

It is embarrassing to post this among the weight loss stories, but hey, if not the people on this thread, I don't know who else can understand my situation.

I will turn 37 in exactly 3 months from now. I will try my hardest and hope to come back with better news by then.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:01   #1954
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Although I sustained my ideal body weight for a few more months, slowly, but surely I lost my motivation, stopped running, gave up on LCHF diet - went back to carbs, sugar, snacking and what not. There have been several false starts in the past one year - so many that my wife now laughs them off - and I never got back on track.

Right now, this is how I look after gaining back 13 out of the 17 kilos that I had lost. Hope this post serves as a reminder to myself and to others that weight loss / fitness is not a one-time thing, but a life-long journey.

It is embarrassing to post this among the weight loss stories, but hey, if not the people on this thread, I don't know who else can understand my situation.
I think yours' is one of the most pertinent posts on this thread. Really appreciate your courage, and hopefully this helps people realize that losing weight, and more generally, maintaining a state of fitness, is not a one time activity but something that you need to keep doing day after day, year after year, decade after decade.

Speaking about myself, I started my journey when I was 38, about 2.5 years ago, and am still going fairly strong.
Phase 1 -
Initially, to drop weight rapidly, I started cycling (longer and longer distances), coupled it with a high protein, low carb diet and worked out in the gym. I reached pretty much the target I had in mind.
Phase 2 -
But by then, I had gotten to the realization that I cannot keep up this kind of schedule and diet for the rest of my life - basically it imbalances things in my life to a point that I can't handle. So, what should I do?
I studied more about this topic and gradually what I realized is that I need to change my body composition significantly - not just drop fat and water weight! I needed to build my muscle volume.
I have gained about 2-3 kilos since then, and I have reduced cycling because endurance activities also cut muscle volume, I still eat in small quantities and mostly good stuff, apart from truckloads of chocolates and ice-creams , but very regularly hit the gym to workout.
My muscle volume seems to be steadily improving, along with a bit of body fat increase, but I don't care much about that, because I can do stuff now that wasn't even thinkable for me 3 years ago. In fact, all my lifts have gone up by approx. 2.5 times in just 3 months.
Phase 3 -
But, now I also know that this human body is a crazy bitch! It slips into whatever routine you throw at it, and then starts doing what it wanted to in the first place (for us - storing fat). So, every now and then you need to confuse the body/jolt the body. You need to mix up your routines, mix up your diet, mix up cardio, strength, HIIT, Yoga or whatever works. This is where I am, right now, doing more compound workouts than ever before and some intense short distance cycling (30 km types) off and on.

But, I know, for some of us, whose bodies are pre-disposed to storing cart-loads of fat, there can be no respite. You need to keep at it, every single day, and this is THE TOUGHEST PART about losing and maintaining weight.

P.S. Quitting alcohol, fried food and Bengali sweets altogether did help a lot.

Last edited by roy_libran : 21st June 2018 at 11:03.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:48   #1955
BHPian

@Viju it takes greater courage to introspect and accept faults than it takes to share success. It is definitely not embarrassing. You are on the right track because you have identified what to do, and that's often the hardest step. All the best of luck to you.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:50   #1956
Senior - BHPian

Having read some terrific weight loss stories and seen some amazing bodily transformations, I am tempted to share my experience too.

It was sometime in Feb of this year, that I decided to do something (again) about my expanding waist size. I was active on this thread about 2 years back and after reducing weight, I re-gained what I lost and then added some more. So this time I wanted my weight reduction to stem from a more enduring approach.

Having been me for 36 years, I knew best what I could do and what I couldn't. So going to dietitians, fitness instructors was out of the question. After some thinking on the subject I came to the conclusion I was generally eating the right things (I mean how unhealthy can fresh home cooked food be?) but my lifestyle had become sedentary. I also realized my inability to follow a fitness routine for long (no daily gyms for me, plus I hate the music or din that gyms generate!) or stick to a diet plan (I can't live without my daily dose of Paranthas, fried eggs with a generous topping of ghee!). So what to do?

My solution was nothing extraordinary. It was focused on making me more active in my daily life. But I made one change (a big one) in my eating schedule - shunned any intake of namkeens and biscuits (these were the only packaged food i was consuming in large quantities). To increase activity I took on a few non-critical but essential daily house hold chores - ones that even if I miss once in a while, won't bring the house down, in addition something that I really cared about. So, said bye bye to the gardener and the car cleaners. This way I am forced everyday to clean our two cars and attend to our garden, because I can't stand dirty cars and unkempt garden! Believe you me - these two activities together add about 2500 -3000 daily steps to my smartwatch. Plus, lifting those heavy pots is no child's play!

In addition, I also got doing the following:
1) Got a standing table to place my laptop on while working. For this I got one of those lecture stands they have in college classrooms. Instead, of sitting I stand and work in my office. This has caused a massive massive improvement in my gastrointestinal area. I have no results to prove it, I just know it.

2) I was cycling to work for the past 2 years, now, when possible, I also try to do all chores on cycle.

3) I go to gym - probably once a week or whenever I feel like; my focus is on dead lifts. Though I continue to despise gyms. I also started playing tennis every Sunday - which is a sport I absolute love and am always wanting to read and know more about it.

4) I also randomly fast for one day in a week. (dinner to dinner)

As a result of the above mentioned steps, I am happy to report a reduction of 6kgs over a period of 4 months, even as I stick to paranthas, butter, desi ghee, lassi, mangoes, rajma chawal and anything thats cooked in the kitchen. I am at 87 kgs now, per BMI, I should be 85kgs max.

Last edited by rrsteer : 21st June 2018 at 11:54.
Old 21st June 2018, 12:09   #1957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
As inspiring as all the weight loss stories in this thread are, I have a weight gain / failure story to post this time.
Don't be embarrased - recognising a problem is the first step to resolution. And you aren't alone; let me join you on that 'pedestal'

2013 - reached a peak of 96 kilos
2016 - reached a best of 72 kilos and (loss of) 8 inches of waistline
2018 - rebounded back to 87 kilos and regained 4 inches

Trying hard (but unfortunately not too hard it seems) to get back to the 70s; but failing since a year (have been stagnant at 85+ since last 8 months). But I am not giving up; you shouldn't either!

@GTO & others; please do put your story with photos Pics tell a lot that long posts don't.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 21st June 2018 at 12:37.
Old 22nd June 2018, 21:21   #1958
BANNED

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled on to this thread.

Just a report, by the time I quit my job in December I was around 134 kg's on the scale and by April I was 102 kg's on the same scale, having been around the block a lot as far weight loss went I decided to try something new this time i.e OMAD(One Meal A Day) diet also known as Intermittent Fasting, my regime was 30 mins window for food and the remaining 23:30 hours fasting with the only consumption being water, loads of it.

Due to personal reasons I'd let myself loose(really really loose!) from mid April until now and gained 6 kg's resting at 108 kg's, would be soon going back on the OMAD diet to get under the 100 kg mark.
Old 23rd June 2018, 20:59   #1959
Team-BHP Support

LCHF also helps avoid alzheimer's disease.

Read on... https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl...sier-you-think
Old 13th July 2018, 21:06   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Lost around 8-9 kg in four months. Now at 80~81, wanted to shed two more kilos
Now at 78~79. BMI 24.9, not under normal range for Asians, its 23, I believe. Not planning to go that low.
Old 31st July 2018, 09:05   #1961
Senior - BHPian

Not sure whether it was shared here, there is a Keto restaurant in Kalyanagar, Bangalore. Location: https://goo.gl/maps/H4nUgM8isy12

Menu from Zomato for Keto Kitchen

The Weight Loss Thread-1.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-2.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-3.jpg

For more info: https://www.zomato.com/bangalore/ket...bangalore/info

Last edited by msdivy : 31st July 2018 at 09:07.
Old 31st July 2018, 12:25   #1962
Distinguished - BHPian

Cutting down on rice and fried stuff has shown visible results in my case. Have never been overweight, in fact have always been skinny, but from the age of 35 or so, did notice an accumulation of belly fat. Didn't do anything about it till this year. Cut down on rice drastically and also started avoiding the usual dosa-vada for breakfast. Stopped buying chips and other fried snacks too. That coupled with regular exercise- running and swimming, has produced visible results. My belly fat has gone down quite a bit. Haven't changed anything else, still eat chocolate and ice cream, still love cheese and end up eating meat almost everyday.
Old 4th August 2018, 15:47   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Me: Male 36-years 6 feet

03-Nov-2016: 97.5 Kg
10-Feb-2017: 88.5 Kg
Total Loss : 9 Kg
In Feb'17, I let down my guard and went back to my earlier lifestyle. Result: I progressively put on weight:
31-Mar-2018: 96 Kg
31-Jul-2018: 100 Kg

I am now 37.5 years old.

Over past few months, my wife started reminding me.. My parents also told.. but I was lazy.. and overate all the time.. especially the dinners(e.g. 7- Dosa or 6 Methi Parathas followed by desserts: kheer/payasam/curd/sweets)

30-Jul-2018: I met an old friend after 4 years- and first thing he told is: "You have become so fat!". I thought he will be happy to see me but he was genuinely shocked.
That was the jolt or push I needed.

I am a man on mission now since that day and have stopped all poor eating habits and my body is responding well:
31-Jul-2017: 100 Kg
4-Aug-2017: 96.1 Kg

My current eating pattern:

1L water after getting up
Breakfast: (225 Cal)
Tea(With Milk, sugarfree): 1
Boiled Eggs: 2-4 (depending on my mood)

Lunch: (23 Cal)
Cucumber: 1 full (150 gm)
1L water

Snacks @ 4PM: (23 Cal)
Cucumber: 1 full (150 gm)
1L water

Snacks @ 7PM: (115 Cal)
Tea(With Milk, sugarfree): 1
1L water

Dinner @8:30PM: (380Cal)
Chicken breast cooked in pan using ghee with little onion
Lettuce or Cucumber
1L water

I am using MyFitnessPal to track calories: while it is recommending 1500 Cals/day, I am doing 900-1000 Cal/day at max.

Exercise:
Nil. I don't have time for exercise or I don't have willpower/drive yet to do it.

I know what I am doing is not sustainable. However, I intend to bring my weight to low 80s before I start normalizing my diet. This time I am serious.

Last edited by daretodream : 4th August 2018 at 15:59. Reason: Grammar
Old 4th August 2018, 16:22   #1964
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
I know what I am doing is not sustainable. However, I intend to bring my weight to low 80s before I start normalizing my diet. This time I am serious.
Diet normalizing doesn't happen, you tend to lax and then start eating. Try something which you can sustain. You are having cucumber for lunch/snacks, why not have chicken just once in the day and keep the cucumber for dinner?

I too got lax as mentioned, but now I eat whenever I feel hungry and as much as the hunger dies away, no need to stuff myself. For the past 24+ hours, I have had 2 meals. One at ~ 16:00 hrs in the evening [yesterday] and one at 11:00 hrs in the day. Will eat something light at around 19:00 hrs [if I feel hungry] and that is it.

Eat healthy, eat in decent proportions but don't stuff or starve yourself, either ways, that can never be sustained.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th August 2018 at 16:23.
Old 4th August 2018, 22:37   #1965
Senior - BHPian

I am just sharing my experience which is working for me for over last 2 years. I have followed couple of simple strategies to put my weight and lipid levels under control. I have combined intermittent fasting and part of LCHF as my way of life.

I have learned to avoid all kind of snacking between meals the only exceptions are black coffee or green tea without sugar of course. Constant snacking culture between meals kick up the insulin levels which impedes fat burning, BTW this is the major cause of diabetes in our country which no one points out.

Secondly, I have limited my food intake to couple of large meals (not calorie restricted), this include eggs, meat(s), dairy, vegetables, legumes, pulses along with decent amount of is fats. Just to be clear I am not doing full-blown Keto as my diet has decent amount of complex carbs. I try to stay away from sugars, sweets and refined carbs and refined oils. Recent studies have shown that refined oils are extremely injurious to health in the long runhttps://www.healthline.com/nutrition...toxic#section2

Since I eat twice a day I ensure that the meals have generous amount of high quality fats sources (ghee, butter, coconut oil and virgin Olive oils, nuts etc). High fats is the key which keeps me going all day long without any problem..!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks