Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 17:37   #1831
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

I started the LCHF diet a couple of weeks ago. Will share my experiences in a few weeks for sure. I am seeing a change on the weighing scale and it is very motivating. While, I am able to make it through the day my energy levels at the gym are pathetic. I try to go to the gym 4 times a week. I have had to give up cardio completely, and light/moderate weight training now leaves me feeling terribly exhausted. I am wondering how to tackle this?
I started reading online that a fat burner pill early in the morning is hepful. Most of the fat burner reviews on health kart, spoke about supplementing a LCHF diet with a fat burner pill (for the kick) coupled with an intensive workout including cardio. Guys, any thoughts?
For now, planning to have a banana before hitting the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 30th April 2017, 18:06   #1832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I started the LCHF diet a couple of weeks ago. Will share my experiences in a few weeks for sure. I am seeing a change on the weighing scale and it is very motivating. While, I am able to make it through the day my energy levels at the gym are pathetic.
You HAVE to increase your natural protein levels to extremely high levels to ensure you cover the carb deficit in the gym.

A protein shake will also help tremendously (along with an apple in it for fibre and to keep you going with a fuller stomach).

When I undertook the LC (no carbs or fat), I was on 20 egg whites a day, atleast 300 gms of chicken if I remember right (10 years back), and half a litre of curd/yoghurt. Also had 2 servings of protein shakes with an apple in it.

However I was pushing it in the Gym for a ripped physique.

I would however recommend you consult a nutritionist so you don't go by hearsay on things like this.
Old 1st May 2017, 18:53   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
I have had to give up cardio completely, and light/moderate weight training now leaves me feeling terribly exhausted. I am wondering how to tackle this?
I started reading online that a fat burner pill early in the morning is hepful. Guys, any thoughts?
For now, planning to have a banana before hitting the gym tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Try increasing your fat intake to at least 100g a day. You have not mentioned the time you have been on lchf and the food in take so not sure if the minimum requirement is being met. And what is it that you are aiming to in terms of food intake. From what I've read, our body takes 2-3 weeks to become fat adapted. So if you're in that period then maybe wait a few more days before taking any pills.

I've been on lchf for two months and been working out using bodyweight exercises, oriented towards strength training. My experience has been that post workout recovery has been better than before as in I don't feel overly tired or exhausted. I'm able to make it through the day and then do some more after a long day at work. It may very well be that the exercise intensity could be higher in your case. Although some days I don't feel like working out in the morning but then I persist and it's fine after that.

If having a banana helps then do so but then it is a high carb fruit and can quickly fill up your daily carb quota.

Last edited by lordvader : 1st May 2017 at 19:08.
Old 4th May 2017, 14:44   #1834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You HAVE to increase your natural protein levels to extremely high levels to ensure you cover the carb deficit in the gym.
There is a difference between what you suggest and what LCHF is.
Low CARB, high FAT.
Proteins have to be normal like 20-30% of your diet.
High protein ultimately ends up getting converted to sugar, raising insulin and thus making this special diet a waste.

Your approach is more of a bodybuilder's approach to cutting, where you strip off progressively: sugar, refined flours, fats, carbs, salt etc. While upping the proteins.

The LCHF premise is that fat doesn't raise insulin. So consume as much fat as you can. Limit carbs because they raise insulin. Maintain low-normal proteins because they also raise insulin.

This will reduce the baseline insulin over time. Which in turn will make the body cells more sensitive to insulin.
Which in turn will allow the muscles to absorb more nutrients (like sugar, amino acids etc) when available.

Most "fat" people do not really require food to survive (they have plenty fat stored - a mechanism which has evolved to take care of famine situations) - but they still feel hungry all the time. This is because their body is used to so much insulin sloshing around that the cells are get resistant to insulin and cannot maintain intake of nutrients even though one has a steady diet.

Last edited by alpha1 : 4th May 2017 at 14:55.
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:08   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Low-carb, high-fat diet led to soccer team's title -Football is no longer won and lost on the pitch. If you ask a performance nutritionist, it's won or lost in the fridge, cupboards and anywhere food is served to players. That's because nutrition and supplementation today is barely recognisable from the days when oranges were served at half-time and a bottle of whiskey was kept in the changing room to warm players up before a match.

But can an army of nutritionists and culinary experts really make a difference? Will the latest pills and potions improve a team's performance? .. Read this interesting article on LCHF on http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial
Old 13th October 2017, 00:23   #1836
Team-BHP Support

Came across this article, pretty nicely written.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-i...weight-bozinny
Old 30th November 2017, 17:21   #1837
BHPian

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I suggest you start from this post and then read until the end of the thread. You will find many success stories.
Thanks ! That thread is very useful too ! But from Type 2 diabetes POV I am not able to find any useful & reliable research material so far !
There are few videos on youtube which tells that --
1. There is not special precaution other than continuosly keeping a watch on your blood glucose levels with higher freq. especially before & after the exercise.
2. Its harder for a diabetic to maintain muscle mass than a normal person.

I am going slow now & keeping a close monitoring on effects of different combinations of diet + exercise + supplement + time on my body. Will share the learnings soon.

Time being, if any information came across you all friends, pls post it here or PM me .

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th November 2017, 17:41   #1838
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bodybuilding - Exercises and Supplements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
But from Type 2 diabetes POV I am not able to find any useful & reliable research material so far !
There are many such articles.

Also check this video:

Last edited by Samurai : 30th November 2017 at 17:43.
Old 16th January 2018, 14:19   #1839
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi All,

I’m a new entrant to this thread and really glad to board with solid results. Looking for suggestions on how to maintain same results.

I was 101/2 kgs on December 4th. Made a decision to lose weight before my birthday on the 21st. Started LCHF diet moderate walking (30mins) 3 times a week. Lost 5 kilos in the first 2 weeks.

Now, as on Jan 16th, I’m 89/90 kgs.

My diet daily is:

Lunch : One or two cucumbers and one or two tomatoes.
Two eggs fried in butter.
4-5 ladies fingers and 4-5 beans fried in butter and one carrot. Or sometimes ivy guard or some other similar ones in same quantity. Fried in butter.

If I’m too hungry, I have a piece or two of chicken or beef.

Dinner: One or two cucumbers and one or two tomatoes.
4-5 ladies fingers and 4-5 beans fried in butter and one carrot. Or sometimes ivy guard or some other similar ones in same quantity. Fried in butter.

Chicken or beef or Mushroom or Paneer fried in butter/coconut oil/olive oil.

Stopped daily drinks to weekly once. No sugar at all. Any snacks on rare days are a handful of Badam/cashew/ground nut.

When I travel, which I hate when on this diet. I buy a green salad and a half tandoori/al faham/grilled chicken and mayonnaise or beef fry and mayonnaise.

My lunch time is 1:PM if dinner was at 7:00PM, or 2:00PM if dinner was at 8. Basically I make sure to fast at least 16 hours a day. Possibly more.

Note: My cholesterol and triglycerides levels which were sky high (500) has now come to Normal levels.

Would appreciate suggestions on making it better. Also been reading a lot of articles on ketoacidosos and some articles on how you “need” carbs. And a low carb diet is fad and is very unhealthy. Requesting some light on it.
Old 16th January 2018, 15:05   #1840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
My diet daily is:

Lunch : One or two cucumbers and one or two tomatoes.
Two eggs fried in butter.

If I’m too hungry, I have a piece or two of chicken or beef.

Dinner: One or two cucumbers and one or two tomatoes.

Chicken or beef or Mushroom or Paneer fried in butter/coconut oil/olive oil.
I don't see any mention of Breakfast. Are you skipping Breakfast?
Old 16th January 2018, 15:07   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I don't see any mention of Breakfast. Are you skipping Breakfast?
Yes.

Like I said.
Quote:
My lunch time is 1:PM if dinner was at 7:00PM, or 2:00PM if dinner was at 8. Basically I make sure to fast at least 16 hours a day. Possibly more.
Old 16th January 2018, 16:30   #1842
Team-BHP Support

Nicely done!

Quote:
Stopped daily drinks to weekly once. No sugar at all. Any snacks on rare days are a handful of Badam/cashew/ground nut.
Cut down the cashew. Go with Walnuts and almonds.

Quote:
Yes.
Like I said.
In take of fat based diet helps increase the time between two meals naturally. So do note along with carb-reduction the other big thing aiding you is IF (intermittent fasting). Such a method is usually called IFIK (intermittent fasting intermittent ketosis).

Most important thing is how you maintain this schedule as a way of life. If you notice you are still going down hill and not have not hit a plateau, then continue. Once you realize you have hit a plateau it would be the rock bottom for your given metabolism.

Today you may be doing zero carbs. I would suggest introduce a non-zero amount and see where your weight stabilizes. That in my opinion should be your weight to control and target.

Quote:
Note: My cholesterol and triglycerides levels which were sky high (500) has now come to Normal levels.
This is the other BIG-BIG benefit!

All the best for further reduction!

Last edited by ampere : 16th January 2018 at 16:37.
Old 21st January 2018, 19:28   #1843
Team-BHP Support

A very sound weight advice from a very unexpected source.

Old 27th January 2018, 16:27   #1844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
A very sound weight advice from a very unexpected source.
Nice video. Saw its longer version.

- Some of the obvious points of easily availability of high carb foods and its relationship to economics. That is a bigger problem making obesity as a society wide problem.
- A nice debate on addiction towards the end of the video. While Hitchen says there is no such thing called addiction, others tend to disagree citing food, sugar and alcohol as counter points.
Old 2nd February 2018, 16:12   #1845
BHPian

Hey guys,

I just got to know that there is such a thread on Team-BHP. Decided that I should have a say in it.

Coming to myself, I'm a 11th grader who was an overweight person once upon a time. I still can remember my family members and friends trolling me everyday for being fat. Tired of hearing their nuisance, I decided to embark on a journey of reducing tummy fat. I tried all kinds of stuff: joining sports classes, eating fruits whenever possible but like most people, I couldn't maintain a regularity.

Enter the summer of 2015. I was at my grandparents' place for the vacation. This was the place where it all started. It was here in one such summer that I grew fat. I told to myself: Whatever started here has to end here. At that time, my parents were abroad for work reasons. No school, no studies, Boy, this is the right time - I thought. Asked my grandmother for tips and she told me to do yoga. I was reluctant at first but decided to try it out eventually. My grandmom took me to a yoga centre exclusively meant for all types of problems like Asthama, back pain, etc. One such problem was tummy fat. This was the place where all my fortunes changed. At first, I was a bit apprehensive as I was the only young guy who used to go there, and all other people were the middle aged professionals. I eventually got used to it as I made some good 'old friends'

My instructor advised me to follow a certain diet during my summer. At first, I was like 'What?! A diet during summer?? So that means no ice-cream?!!' and was against it. But I thought of all the past memories of people mocking at me for being overweight and all, and I decided that I must actually do something. So, I decided to follow it. However, for a person like me to follow a diet, someone needs to be there to cook, right? That's when I approached my grandmom. Initially, she was reluctant as well as she thought it would have some side effects on me as a growing kid. But my instructor guaranteed her that there wouldn't be any such thing. So, with the help of my grandmom, I started the journey which changed my life completely.

Here's how my schedule was:

5:45 AM: Get up and refresh yourself. Go to Yoga classes, which was like a 2 minute walk away. Morning drink included arugampul juice which is basically Bermuda grass juice. It helps improve blood circulation.

6 AM to 8 AM: Attend Yoga classes.

8 AM: Come home, take bath and have breakfast. Breakfast everyday was salad. Unlike a conventional salad, this included all kinds of fruits and a spoon of honey. Instructor advised me to eat till I was full.

12 PM: Have Lunch. Lunch included a small portion of rice and three times the vegetables. In other words, Rice was the side dish and vegetables were the main dish.

4 PM: Evening drink was sukku coffee a.k.a Ginger Coriander coffee. After that, leave for cricket classes. Cricket classes also played a pivotal role in my journey though some hard core athlete might consider it to be a lazy sport.

7 PM: Return home. Dinner included any food material that contained wheat, ragi or any other nutrient-rich food material.

8 PM: Go to sleep. Yep, I would be that tired at the end of the day.

By practicing this everyday, I was able to reduce 8 kilograms in a matter of three months. Yes! I had done it! I was able to silence my critics! Now, everywhere I'm known as the guy who underwent the Transformation of the century.

This is how I looked back in the day:
The Weight Loss Thread-img20161110wa0001-2.jpg

And this is how I look today:
The Weight Loss Thread-img_0267-3.jpg

Just my few scents to all those people here:
  • In the name of reducing weight, Do not skip any meal or stay hungry for a long time. It may appear to have effect, but that's only short term.
  • In my diet, I included all natural weight loss material and no synthetic ones. You might see many ads which many claim to reduce weight naturally, but those are just sham according to me.
  • Also, believe you can do it. If I could do it, anyone could. This is one important lesson I learned from this journey. It doesn't matter what others have to say.
  • Lastly, the most effective way of losing weight is Yoga. Nothing can beat it.

Thanks for reading! Also, I do apologise if I've stated something which have hurt your feelings. These are just my views.

Cheers,
Karthi.stark

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks