Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 12:33   #1681
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The only way to prove my hypothesis wrong would be to actually consume 3000 kcal daily doing the LCHF.
If calories in vs calories out is wrong way to looks at things, then over-consumption of calories (while following LCHF philosophy) should not lead to putting of body-fat.

There is nothing scientific or unscientific in what I say. It is plain mathematical logic.
You are trying to use mathematics, but there is another angle you have failed to notice.

It is quite true that in LCHF lifestyle, the calorie consumption goes down. That is because people are no more addicted to food, in both quantity and frequency. Prior to LCHF, I used to get hungry every 3 hours. Eating 4 times a day was the norm. Now I can stay without food for long hours, with no hunger pangs.

Two days ago, I had 3 panfried eggs at 6:30am, and started driving to Manipal. At 10:30am I had two vadas (urad dal) + black coffee since I knew I will be skipping lunch. I kept driving till late afternoon and reached office. I didn't need lunch, nor evening snacks. I finally had dinner at 10pm. Didn't feel hunger whole day.
Old 21st October 2016, 14:10   #1682
BHPian

Just a question for people following Low Carb, High Protein diet.
Do you guys regularly check your uric acid levels?
Old 21st October 2016, 14:32   #1683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are trying to use mathematics, but there is another angle you have failed to notice.

It is quite true that in LCHF lifestyle, the calorie consumption goes down. That is because people are no more addicted to food, in both quantity and frequency. Prior to LCHF, I used to get hungry every 3 hours. Eating 4 times a day was the norm. Now I can stay without food for long hours, with no hunger pangs.

Two days ago, I had 3 panfried eggs at 6:30am, and started driving to Manipal. At 10:30am I had two vadas (urad dal) + black coffee since I knew I will be skipping lunch. I kept driving till late afternoon and reached office. I didn't need lunch, nor evening snacks. I finally had dinner at 10pm. Didn't feel hunger whole day.
Samurai, in fact I have not!
I have acknowledged what you are saying. Especially about feeling full, reducing the cravings etc.

But you know, even I don't get hunger pangs. I eat only once a day (yeah sometimes I do have a fruit or so along with people during lunch time). I don't feel cranky, weak, nauseous. My diet is primary carbs.

What you are talking about (hunger pangs, craving) is addiction to food.
Brain's addiction to ever increasing blood sugar levels (quite dangerous in the long run - the one that leads to overeat and gain fat)
One doesn't need to shift to LCHF to get de-addicted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
It is not high proteins, it is low carb high fat. There is a big difference between the two.

You are supposed to eat proteins like a normal person only - Like say 1-2 serving of meat (actually I would count that below my personal normal )

What you do is to reduce carbs, and replace them by fats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
I'm not sure if intermittent fasting has been discussed here already. It sounds like a fad diet initially but it's not a diet. It's a style of meal timing undergoing a lot of research for its many other health benefits adding to longevity. The basic idea is to limit the window in which we consume food either for 7-8 hours per day or do a complete fast 1-2 times a week. Combined with a moderate amount of exercise, It had helped me a lot in the past with lowering my fat but also made me realise the difference between cravings and true hunger. Sorry if I sounded like a commercial for it but once you educate yourself about it and get on the lifestyle, the benefits are immense. I loved it as long as I did it and want to make it long term.
Oh yeah, I remember elaborating on it a few years back and facing quite a flak. Ah starting from here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3477509
Old 21st October 2016, 14:41   #1684
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have thought about it, especially since the sudden weight loss and the increase in consumption of red meat and fish. But I have no family history of gout. So I am hoping I am at low risk.
Old 21st October 2016, 19:02   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to ask the question as well. I had a health checkup done late September and Uric acid levels were much higher than my last annual checkup. I had been increasing my consumption of chicken over the past couple of months but now on seeing the uric acid levels I have backed down.

Now trying to follow a low Fat and Low Purine Diet Also need to keep Cholestrol levels in the normal range too.

I had found this list off the internet a couple of weeks ago - hope it is useful for others. (Source: https://www.drugs.com/cg/low-purine-diet.html)

Low in purines:
  • Eggs, nuts, and peanut butter
  • Low-fat and fat free cheese and ice cream
  • Skim or 1% milk
  • Soup made without meat extract or broth
  • Vegetables that are not on the medium-purine list below
  • All fruit and fruit juices
  • Bread, pasta, rice, cake, cornbread, and popcorn
  • Water, soda, tea, coffee, and cocoa
  • Sugar, sweets, and gelatin
  • Fat and oil

Foods to limit:
Medium-purine foods:
Meats: Limit the following to 4 to 6 ounces each day.
  • Meat and poultry
  • Crab, lobster, oysters, and shrimp
Vegetables: Limit the following vegetables to ½ cup each day.
  • Asparagus
  • Cauliflower
  • Spinach
  • Mushrooms
  • Green peas
  • Beans, peas, and lentils (limit to 1 cup each day)
  • Oats and oatmeal (limit to ⅔ cup uncooked each day)
  • Wheat germ and bran (limit to ¼ cup each day)

High-purine foods: Limit or avoid foods high in purine.
  • Anchovies, sardines, scallops, and mussels
  • Tuna, codfish, herring, and haddock
  • Wild game meats, like goose and duck
  • Organ meats, such as brains, heart, kidney, liver, and sweetbreads
  • Gravies and sauces made with meat
  • Yeast extracts taken in the form of a supplement

Other guidelines to follow:
  • Increase liquid intake.
  • Drink 8 to 16 (eight-ounce) cups of liquid each day.
  • At least half of the liquid you drink should be water.
  • Liquid can help your body get rid of extra uric acid.
  • Limit or avoid alcohol. Alcohol (especially beer) increases your risk of a gout attack. Beer contains a high amount of purine.
  • Maintain a healthy weight. If you are overweight, you should lose weight slowly. Weight loss can help decrease the amount of stress on your joints.
  • Regular exercise can help you lose weight if you are overweight, or maintain your weight if you are at a normal weight.
Old 21st October 2016, 20:52   #1686
BHPian

I once had high uric acid levels though I'm a vegetarian and occasional eggetarian. I simply increased my water consumption and exercised a little and it's back to normal.
Old 21st October 2016, 21:54   #1687
Team-BHP Support

From what I have read, if you don't have a family history of gout, LCHF diet is not going to give you gout. But if you have gout or the family history of it, skip the LCHF diet.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/gout/c...-you-gout.aspx

But Sugar might: http://paleoleap.com/gout-forget-purines-skip-sugar/

Last edited by Samurai : 21st October 2016 at 21:55.
Old 22nd October 2016, 11:31   #1688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by komalthecoolk View Post
I'm not sure if intermittent fasting has been discussed here already. It sounds like a fad diet initially but it's not a diet. It's a style of meal timing undergoing a lot of research for its many other health benefits adding to longevity. The basic idea is to limit the window in which we consume food either for 7-8 hours per day or do a complete fast 1-2 times a week. Combined with a moderate amount of exercise, It had helped me a lot in the past with lowering my fat but also made me realise the difference between cravings and true hunger. Sorry if I sounded like a commercial for it but once you educate yourself about it and get on the lifestyle, the benefits are immense. I loved it as long as I did it and want to make it long term.

I've started this since past couple of weeks and I've noticed that I feel lighter. My two weekend 20-min run timings have become better (going by my Strava history) - they match up with the timings I had back in Sep '15.

I think I had a similar diet before getting married. Where skipping breakfast and directly having a brunch was what I did on most days after a morning gym workout. I even dabbled with LCHF diet around the same time but as @alpha1 has repeatedly pointed out, I'm not sure whether my 'F' part was sufficiently high or not. If I recall correctly, it was around the same time my thyroid levels were beginning to become abnormal and today I suffer from Hashimoto's. But I do carry some learnings since then such as avoiding vegetable oils and being generous with animal fats (ghee/butter) and not worrying about cholesterol.

I was given a copy of http://www.amazon.in/8-Hour-Diet-Dis.../dp/125006659X by my brother-in-law who's been following the diet for some time now. He was earlier on the 5-meals a day diet. He's been a self-experimentalist for years now and being a doctor, I take his opinions with some added weight.
Old 22nd October 2016, 12:00   #1689
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One doesn't need to shift to LCHF to get de-addicted.
Not applicable to everyone. If you are de-addicted easily, it doesn't mean others can. We need to realise it is a physical thing, not mental thing. When I summarized the Gary Taubes book couple months ago on this thread, I only touched upon on the basic points that people require to understand LCHF diet. You are trying dig deeper, which is fine. You should read the book for such details.

Gary Taubes does address this idea in chapter 12.

The Weight Loss Thread-chrome-legacy-window-10222016-114512-am.bmp.jpg
The Weight Loss Thread-chrome-legacy-window-10222016-114521-am.bmp.jpg

Quote:
It is not high proteins, it is low carb high fat. There is a big difference between the two.
Agreed. I was a high protein and high fat eater even earlier. What I really dropped is carb and sugar. My protein/fat intake might have gone up a bit, say by 20%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Regular exercise can help you lose weight if you are overweight, or maintain your weight if you are at a normal weight.
I used to believe it until May this year. Now I know it doesn't work universally, because of the reasons mentioned in the screenshot above.
Old 22nd October 2016, 14:50   #1690
BHPian

Genes, Cholesterol, BP and Diabetes—I find it confusing

About 8-9 years ago when I became conscious of fats plumping my body I was 68. Made an eating plan—with hindsight would call it an Idiot’s Diet—which was primarily high carb but very low in calories (maybe 1400 or even less). With the aid of weight training I came down to 58-59, sported a teenager’s body and could wriggle myself out of trousers without the fuss of unbuttoning it.

Having reached that point I decided to jack up my weight, both on my skeleton and on the barbell. Reached 67. Then again went back to 65. Then to 68-69. Again back to 65. Thereafter, I decided to take it to the max. Reached 72. Went back again to 65-66 when, inspired by Dangal, I decided to take it to 75.

Meanwhile I also continued running, especially during weight loss phase. But it was highly erratic.

However, at 74 (February this year) I realized that I could take it no more. Refusing to be buttoned my 30 inch jeans were revolting. And when I could manage to get in my 32 inch trousers, they felt that they would burst at seams. Bending to tie my laces I was getting breathless.

I gave up.

Started cutting calories and turned regular with running. Came down to 68 in 2-3 months.

Now the point.

History to Diabetes, Cholesterol and BP runs in my family. As far as my memory goes, I remember I have been borderline sugar case. Being conscious of the fact I have been regular with blood tests. Must have got myself pricked 3-4 times in the last 5-6 years and every time the results have been similar, that is, borderline.

Blaming it on my genes, I resigned to the fact that it would get any better.

Events took a certain turn. First it was insurance and later, on account of surgery for my broken forearm, blood tests were done two times within a time period of two months.

When I saw the reports I could not believe my eyes. They were as normal as they should ideally be (however, my BP still remains at 140/80).

In case of the test conducted before surgery (first week of September), where I had reported to hospital after an overnight fast, the sugar level (random) was even below the normal range.

PS: My diet is normal (fluctuating from 2400+ to 1600-1700 calories—110-140 g protein and rest divided between card and fat). I eat everything. Gorging once a while on lots of sweets. For example, this mango season I had started with feasting on 3 to 4 fruits and thereafter came down to minimum two.

All my understandings have gone for a toss. Except, as I have read at many places, that is, in sports, bodybuilding, endurance etc. there is not one jacket that fits all. Or, if there is a better explanation, kindly let me know.

I am 45. 5.6. 68 kg.
Old 22nd October 2016, 16:26   #1691
Team-BHP Support

I remember times when I used to have a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice for breakfast, and think I was eating healthy.

Only in my 40s I realised that breakfast is nothing but sugar bomb.
Old 23rd October 2016, 22:10   #1692
Team-BHP Support

Cream Cheese is a nice Keto compliant dish.

Its expensive in the store but its so easy to make at home.

Just take warm milk and add lemon juice. Mix and let it stay for 10 minutes. After ten minutes if you are not satisfied with the amount of curdling add a little more lemon juice.

Strain thru a cheese cloth and using only your hands squeeze out as much water as possible. Using a hand whisk keep stirring till it becomes a soft texture. Add a little salt and any seasoning of your choice. I added chat masala.

Cut Zucchini and Broccoli and rub butter. Grill on a hot pan. First the broccoli and then when its tender add the zucchini.

You can dilute the cream cheese with a milk or cream. Or like me use it like a thick spread.

The Weight Loss Thread-wp1477214725388.jpeg
Old 24th October 2016, 11:09   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are trying dig deeper, which is fine. You should read the book for such details.

Gary Taubes does address this idea in chapter 12.
Hey thanks.
Is Gary Taubes obsessed with Insulin?

He is right about the body's genetic markers that lead to some people staying energetic and lean, and others lazy and fat and insulin sensitivity.

But insulin and enzymes are just a part of the story. People with higher Thyroxine (T4 and its more potent derivative T3) are in general leaner and more energetic (to the extent of being frantic and fidgety), similarly those with lower are like sloth and put on fat quickly. So let me add thyroid gland also to the arena. Throxine is the hormone that controls the cell metabolism.

I am not sure if Taub covers this, but our body cells can only use two fuels to survive: glucose and fatty acids.

My concern with LCHF is this: If I eat excess of LCHF food (excess of what the body's fuel requirement), what happens to the fat in the diet? What happens to it during digestion and assimilation.

Similarly what happens to the proteins in the diet?

And in a similar vein, if I consume high carb diet, but below the body's fuel requirement, what happens?
Please note I am not talking about someone who is already diabetic.

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th October 2016 at 11:18.
Old 24th October 2016, 11:46   #1694
Team-BHP Support

Dude, I don't remember everything from the book. Please don't make me go back read it again and again. I don't have an exam to write.

Just read the book. I remember him talking about pretty much everything you mention, but I don't recall every details.
Old 25th October 2016, 13:22   #1695
Senior - BHPian

Update

So my journey has seen its share of ups and downs. I have posted about my weight loss in this thread 3 years ago and a lot has changed since then.
As mentioned previously i lost a lot of weight at that time (20+kgs) and was in good shape till last year when i suffered a fracture in my left ankle.
Being confined to my bed for 2 months and no exercise for another 2 resulted in me putting on some weight. My routine also changed along with my diet. Started a new business which consumed all my time so the gym visits also declined.
I decided enough is enough and started my journey again. It was all going good till a couple of months ago when i contracted Chickengunya. It took me 2 weeks to become normal. After that the severe joint pain made it difficult to weight train again so i started running. After months i am beginning to get back to my old routine. Mission is to lose another 5 kgs in the next 2 months.
The mantra is never give up no matter what !

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 25th October 2016 at 13:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks