Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 18:56   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Today's Bangalore Times of Times Of India had couple of pages on health and some articles on losing weight. All these articles were about the new techniques available to lose weight and not a single mention of exercise! Laser therapy, cold treatment and what not.
We have transformed ourselves into pill-popping-for-instant-action living beings.
Of course there will be repercussions, but to deal with them - there is another set of pills available!
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 19:26   #182
Senior - BHPian

open for speculation: I have discovered that I have a case of hypochlorhydria (low acidity in stomach) which prevented nutrients to be absorbed by my body and kept me lean all this while. I started taking betaine HCL tablets and have gained 10 kgs in last 6 months (good for me, I've gone from 50 to 60 kg). While I am indifferent to weight gain, I am happy about other changes I am seeing like energy level, digestion issues and some other problems, that I continue to take it. I skip the tablets on the days I take junk food.

Using same analogy, one could take a bunch of antacids after a junk meal and prevent nutrients from breaking down and being absorbed by stomach. Now it would be a disaster if it allowed the fats and prevented essential nutrients.
Old 29th November 2011, 23:14   #183
Senior - BHPian

Time for another update.

I stand at 81 kilos,ever since i started since 12th september.
I was able to fit into my five year old jeans
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 10:44   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Have enrolled for a one-year weight management programme at Talwalkar's- they have a branch near my home. Was shocked to see the scales tilt over to 98.65 kg on day one. Am working out in the mornings since that works for me- have to drop kid to school bus, go to work etc. after that. Evenings are just too unpredictable.

Cannot explain in words the sheer exhilaration the body experiences after a rigorous workout. I am doing 20 mins cardio (treadmill and elliptical trainer) which I will up to about 40 minutes after the body is a little more used to this. Plus a customised plan with special exercises for chest, legs, abs and the lot. I overdid it on Day 2 and almost passed out in the locker room, so now am taking Cliffhanger's advice and listening to my body rather than blindly follow the gurus!

Sneaked a weigh-in today (not receommended so early) and was delighted to find a loss of about half a kilogram- statistical error as far as I am concerned but feels good nonetheless.

If I keep at this a whole year, I am expecting to lose about 18 kg which will bring me in the zone as far as I am concerned. Rather than obsess over the numbers as I have done in the past, am going to focus on staying fit and healthy. Diet is going to the biggest factor, not to mention challenge in all this!

Wish me luck!
Old 30th November 2011, 10:48   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Time for another update.

I stand at 81 kilos,ever since i started since 12th september.
I was able to fit into my five year old jeans
Congrats man! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Have enrolled for a one-year weight management programme at Talwalkar's- they have a branch near my home. Was shocked to see the scales tilt over to 98.65 kg on day one. Am working out in the mornings since that works for me- have to drop kid to school bus, go to work etc. after that. Evenings are just too unpredictable.

Cannot explain in words the sheer exhilaration the body experiences after a rigorous workout. I am doing 20 mins cardio (treadmill and elliptical trainer) which I will up to about 40 minutes after the body is a little more used to this. Plus a customised plan with special exercises for chest, legs, abs and the lot. I overdid it on Day 2 and almost passed out in the locker room, so now am taking Cliffhanger's advice and listening to my body rather than blindly follow the gurus!

Sneaked a weigh-in today (not receommended so early) and was delighted to find a loss of about half a kilogram- statistical error as far as I am concerned but feels good nonetheless.

If I keep at this a whole year, I am expecting to lose about 18 kg which will bring me in the zone as far as I am concerned. Rather than obsess over the numbers as I have done in the past, am going to focus on staying fit and healthy. Diet is going to the biggest factor, not to mention challenge in all this!

Wish me luck!
All the best! I recently enrolled myself at Gold's Gym and have seen a drop of about 6.5kg in 2 months. I feel much much fitter. My resting heart rate is down to 58bpm now. This is motivation enough for me to keep pushing!
Old 3rd December 2011, 02:10   #186
Senior - BHPian

Experts, is it advisable to have no food, only water 4-5 hours before gym?

I usually have lunch at 12.30-1pm and i got to gym around 5 pm. Is it good to have a big gap between these. Once i am done with gym, i usually have dinner around 7.30-8.30 pm.

Is this good or should i change anything?

thank you
Old 3rd December 2011, 03:50   #187
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK, it is better to have a small snack 30 mins before you start your workout, that is what I was told and it felt good too.
Old 3rd December 2011, 09:24   #188
BHPian

joining this threat as things are getting desperate and all plans of weight loss are backfiring. For the first time declaring my objectives (hoping it works as s reminder!)
I stand at 97.5 after having added 3kgs over the last crazy month and half since diwali.
sweet tooth is my weakness, anything sweet stocked in the fridge keeps ringing in my head until I have had the last bite. So have given up buying sweets completely.

Now aiming to reduce to under 92 as the first target and and sub 85 as the long term target.
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:50   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
AFAIK, it is better to have a small snack 30 mins before you start your workout, that is what I was told and it felt good too.
Yup. And according to some research, what you eat before your workout decides what you burn during the workout. Proponents of whey claim that consuming whey protein helps burn fat during the workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
joining this threat as things are getting desperate and all plans of weight loss are backfiring. For the first time declaring my objectives (hoping it works as s reminder!)
I stand at 97.5 after having added 3kgs over the last crazy month and half since diwali.
sweet tooth is my weakness, anything sweet stocked in the fridge keeps ringing in my head until I have had the last bite. So have given up buying sweets completely.

Now aiming to reduce to under 92 as the first target and and sub 85 as the long term target.
All the best!
How tall are you?
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:50   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

@avingodb- Looks like you and me are in the same club. I suggest you join a good gym that offers a focused weight management program in your area. A personal trainer may help you achieve your fitness goals faster but those come at a steep price.

Just a caveat- this method almost certainly will make you lose weight to the targets you stated as long as you are motivated and show up every day. But maintaining that weight is the bigger problem! Trust me, I've been there.

After a series of roller-coaster rides with my weight, I have reached the conclusion that the ONLY thing that works is to take care of your birthday every single day of your life! Let's hope this time works for us!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 17:58   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
After a series of roller-coaster rides with my weight, I have reached the conclusion that the ONLY thing that works is to take care of your birthday every single day of your life! Let's hope this time works for us!
What does that mean - take care of your birthday every single of your life?
Old 4th December 2011, 11:18   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

I meant take care of your body! Birthday??? How'd that happen!
Old 4th December 2011, 11:48   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
@noopster,you and me are in Similar situation,its just that i am 10 years younger,keep doing it and you would achieve your target pretty soon.
I am currently 84 from 96 in 2 months,i have to reach 75 in next two,then find a suitable means to be stable at those stats
How tall are you btw?

how did you do it in two months
Old 4th December 2011, 12:32   #194
BHPian

I was 107 3years back.. dig into this thread and you can find my older posts.
then reduced my weight to 86kgs by jan 2010.
then marriage happened and changed everything.
Now Fast Forward Dec 2011, I weigh 106 kgs again due to various other reasons that everyone knows :(

Now started to workout again.... This time target to go below 85Kgs before my child steps into this world

workout means, no heavy duity stuff guys, its very simple.

I have reduced my calorie intake to 1500 calories per day.
10kms walking daily morning.
Drink plenty of water and Eat lots of apple.
Sunday is a holiday for my body, as i eat anything and everything i like.

will keep you guys updated. stay tuned.

Dec 1st weight = 106Kgs
Jan 1st weight = ?

Note: and oh yea... i never stay away from colas, a half liter coke pet bottle gives you around 220 calories, so i take it

Last edited by jp2u : 4th December 2011 at 12:58.
Old 4th December 2011, 18:20   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
how did you do it in two months
Will power is the word
i was very very lazy thinking i will start from next week,tommorow and what not.
Then one fine day,i made up my mind,its now or never,and there was no looking back.
Diet control,and jogging for 5kms non stop(now),and brisk walking for another 3kms has worked for me

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks