Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2011, 23:26   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Weight Loss Thread.

What an inspiring thread. Read it end to end in one sitting.

I am currently about 98 kg, 40 inch waist and very worried. Most of my adult life I have been overweight, obese even, weighing in over 80 kg from the time I was in college. lowest I can remember is 69 kg when I was around 18, but that was because I used to have a LOT of physical activity (shuttling around on foot and public transport to attend college, classes, practicals and what not). About 10 years ago (I am 37 now) I finally got out off my backside and trudged over to the local Talwalkar's branch, where after a period of intense cardio/weight training sessions and a strictly controlled diet, I came down to 88 kg and was in the finest shape of my adult life (the missus still treasures a pic of mine taken at that time since she has never seen me that good looking ) Unfortunately I had to move to Bangalore to join a new job and the combination of bad eating, a rather wild friend circle and absolute abstinence from anything remotely resembling physical activity meant that in a space of about 3-4 years I had peaked to my highest weight ever: 103 kg. When my daughter was born I decided enough was enough and finally started adjusting my lifestyle towards my stated ambition of going under 80 kg.

I have still not succeeded- the closest I got was the same 88 kg after a regimen of 7 km a day walking and giving up alcohol and junk food- in general adopting good lifestyle and eating habits, which I still believe is the best way to do it!

Age is catching up and my iron restraint isn't what it used to either, so have been slipping again in the past couple of years. At the time of posting am still on teh fence in terms of what the best course to pursue is for me. Please PM me if you have any constructive and meaningful suggestions. Thanks!
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 13:52   #152
Senior - BHPian

@noopster,you and me are in Similar situation,its just that i am 10 years younger,keep doing it and you would achieve your target pretty soon.
I am currently 84 from 96 in 2 months,i have to reach 75 in next two,then find a suitable means to be stable at those stats
How tall are you btw?
Old 14th November 2011, 14:21   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

I am 177 cm, just under 5'10". My weight should be 78 kg max.
Old 14th November 2011, 18:03   #154
BHPian

i am 5'10" and weighed 85 KG until two months ago, wanted to reduce to under 80 and following are the changes i did to my lifestyle and it helped me get down to 80 in two months:

since i am a veggie, was not getting any omega-3 in my diet; included freshly grounded flax seeds (around 25-30 gms a day) into my diet to increase oxidation and lower cholesterol levels.
tried to get up early (by 06:30 AM) and sleep early (by 12:30 AM).
hit the gym for at least 30 mins everyday (just treadmill, around 5 kms a day).
started to use extra virgin olive oil for the food preperation.
avoided outside food, avoided rice, increased the intake of fruits; applicable Mon-Sat, can eat anything on Sundays .
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 18:17   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ "..sleep early by 12:30 am". You're kidding right?
Old 14th November 2011, 18:17   #156
BHPian

I am a little surprised no one is mentioning conventional sports as a good way to lose weight.
Firstly, i am definitly in the club that is trying desperately to lose quite a few pounds. I am currently at 5'7", 75Kgs! 3 months back i was 82, burly and depressed as hell at my form. Tried gym, lost interest after 3 weeks, gained double of what ever few pounds i lost. Tried walking/jogging for 3 km's per day, lost interest in a month. Finally, a basketball/badminton court was opened in the office.
Now, I used to play basketball during school & college and thought of giving it a shot. Played 5 days a week for 20-30 mins each day and lost 7Kgs in 2 months. Also, I didnt really restrict my diet for breakfast (poha, upma etc) and lunch (dal, rice, curry etc), but replaced dinner with fruits and almonds/walnuts. I never felt better.
After 2 months, i feel i am not losing any more weight like i used to in the early weeks. So got myself enrolled in swimming at a local club, starting tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 14th November 2011, 18:34   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

That's great ExtremeT. May I suggest you focus on the fitness element rather than purely the weight aspect. Beyond a point your body may refuse to lose any more weight but as long as you are fit and healthy, what does it matter? It's just a number and obsessing about it will cause more harm than good.
Old 14th November 2011, 18:43   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
May I suggest you focus on the fitness element rather than purely the weight aspect. Beyond a point your body may refuse to lose any more weight but as long as you are fit and healthy, what does it matter? It's just a number and obsessing about it will cause more harm than good.
Well said! Fitness is all about stamina, endurance and staying healthy, rather than reducing Y kg in N months. I know a lot of folks who boast of bench pressing X kg etc, but can't go a month without having a stomach upset or a cold.

Having said that, the thread posted below has a lot of good posts related to weight loss in it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...pplements.html

If weight lifting is not your thing, then here's something different:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2455264

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 14th November 2011, 22:51   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am 177 cm, just under 5'10". My weight should be 78 kg max.
Same for me,i am also 5-10.
Hope to be below 80,before the new year starts

Last edited by akshay4587 : 14th November 2011 at 22:57.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:18   #160
Team-BHP Support

4 Nov: 95.9 Kgs.
15 Nov: 97.1 kgs.

In between had a trip to Chennai. Mom cooked. I ate. Totally worth it.

But now back to the cycle and the gym.

Will take a week at the very least to cross this setback. But its a stark reminder that its not easy to keep the weight down. One needs to keep a watch at all times.

Noopster, get a cycle and use it for your office commute. Its a good way to get healthy.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 15:14   #161
BANNED

For weight loss diet plays an important role. But search the net all that you get is eat xx gm of protein, xx gm carbohydrate etc. etc. Search a little more for something more comprehensible all that you get are western diet plans.

Unfortunately Indian diet plan which talks of specific amount of rice or vegetables or dal or chicken or fish or eggs is totally missing. Do we have any dietician here who can provide us with 1500 k/2000k/3000k Indian diet plan both veg and non-veg.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:30   #162
Senior - BHPian

I would like to wake up early and go jogging for 45 minutes in the morning.

I set the alarm daily, the alarm goes off in the morning, I snooze it and go back to sleep.

Can someone give me any tips on how to wake up early in the morning for the first few days ?

Once I wake up early for 2-3 consequetive days, my body gets used to the new wake-up timing and I can continue from there. Its the first 2-3 days or getting up early that I find very difficult.

Rohan
Old 16th November 2011, 12:33   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Can someone give me any tips on how to wake up early in the morning for the first few days ?
Drink around 500 ml of water just before you go to sleep.
Keep your alarm for around 6 AM.

If you wake up before your alarm but after 5 AM.
Don't go back to sleep.

Brush your teeth and splash some water.
Go and run.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:40   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ask someone who really cares about you to keep calling you till you are up and out of bed.
Old 16th November 2011, 13:34   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Drink around 500 ml of water just before you go to sleep.
Totally agree with this. I do the same thing whenever I go for a road trip and have to wake up early. Unless one is wearing a diaper, there's no alternative but to get up

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th November 2011 at 13:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks