Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2016, 19:20   #1651
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpavan View Post
Thanks ampere. Agree with you, cannot find heart desiring alternate foods that will fit the LCHF plan.
Well, I do enjoy the veggie parts of my food. The stir fry that contains broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, capiscum is quite delicious. May be I am comfortable with continental food, and this may be less palatable to people who prefer Indian taste. That bendi (okra) pepper fry is quite a hit in my house.
Old 12th October 2016, 19:25   #1652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, I do enjoy the veggie parts of my food. The stir fry that contains broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, capiscum is quite delicious. May be I am comfortable with continental food, and this may be less palatable to people who prefer Indian taste. That bendi (okra) pepper fry is quite a hit in my house.
Thats what I make all the time (thats what I meant by buttered veggies). And they are also very easy to make. To the above list we can add sprouts. Works very well.

I think the issue is repetitive nature of the menu. So once in while I make the dinner into carb based as well.
Old 12th October 2016, 19:28   #1653
Team-BHP Support

One of my favorite meals:
The Weight Loss Thread-wpimage1398928631jpeg-1.jpeg

Quote:
Red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander+ cumin powder, ginger garlic paste, pepper, lemon juice and oil are mixed into a paste. Use this to marinate sea bass for a couple of hours in the fridge.

Grill or bake.

Serve hot.
I just eat the fish without any rice or roti. With enough fish, I skip the vegetables.
Old 12th October 2016, 21:33   #1654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Thats what I make all the time (thats what I meant by buttered veggies). And they are also very easy to make. To the above list we can add sprouts. Works very well.

I think the issue is repetitive nature of the menu. So once in while I make the dinner into carb based as well.
This becomes the problem really. And if you're cooking yourself as a single man, it becomes even more annoying to find the time to think up of recipes every day to cook - THRICE a day! All the easy carb loaded cheat meals are no longer at hand.

I am now seriously beginning to consider fish for a while until I drop my weight a bit. Paneer every day is just killing me.
Old 12th October 2016, 21:40   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am now seriously beginning to consider fish for a while until I drop my weight a bit. Paneer every day is just killing me.
How about soya chunks? You can also consider sprouts of green gram occasionally(for me three times a week) and you can alternate this with other pulses also.
Old 12th October 2016, 21:47   #1656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
How about soya chunks? You can also consider sprouts of green gram occasionally(for me three times a week) and you can alternate this with other pulses also.
Yes, it looks like I need to start becoming a little innovative. Soya chunks in soup with veggies and some such. I'll plan a bunch of food options the next couple of days.

But the stuff that bblost and samurai are posting are not helping - AT ALL!

Last edited by Red Liner : 12th October 2016 at 21:53.
Old 12th October 2016, 22:08   #1657
BHPian

Quote:
I'll plan a bunch of food options the next couple of days.
Dal Fry with Tur/Arhar is one of the option. You can try variants of the fry with kidney beans, kala chana(chick pea), like what we use to get in temples(boiled kala chana fried in coconut oil with green chilies/onions and sprinkle lemon juice and salt) are some of better options.

Quote:
But the stuff that bblost and samurai are posting are not helping - AT ALL!
LCHF has better options for meat eaters, easily.
Old 12th October 2016, 22:17   #1658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This becomes the problem really. And if you're cooking yourself as a single man, it becomes even more annoying to find the time to think up of recipes every day to cook - THRICE a day! All the easy carb loaded cheat meals are no longer at hand.
I see it the other way round. Having no breakfast is a highly counter intuitive thought. Especially in this age where we just end-up into sedentary lifestyle at office after a breakfast. From that point of view a heavy breakfast ideally should not be a good option.

But I leave that topic for each one to think for himself. So having taken off one meal from the chart and a near zero meal to cook for lunch at office, most requirements translate to an evening dinner. I think that is manageable and also a stress buster to some extent!

Last edited by ampere : 12th October 2016 at 22:18.
Old 18th October 2016, 08:08   #1659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
There is nothing you can replace roti with. However remember that wheat has more than double the carbs of rice. So it's actually a bad trade when you exchange wheat for rice.
Thanks for that valubale info, dear bblost! Even my wife was shocked as we always used to substitute rice with wheat as a healthy option! I have not eaten a single roti since I read this post of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I am so glad I put a new hole in my belt. I cannot use it anymore but it serves as a stark reminder and helped me identify the downhill turn as soon as it started.
True. I have been wearing a cloth belt (without holes) since the past 2 years as I wear jeans / casuals to office everyday. Will get a new belt! But yes, the pants have started to get loose for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Your condition is not that bad. I think instead of replacing all carbs with fat, you can also try a slight calorie deficit as well.
Dear ampere, I agree. Traversing this path right now.

Quote:
Just watch the carbs, sugar and starch, and try to eliminate as much as possible. You do need some carbs, but that is naturally available in many things we do eat in the LCHF diet.
Thanks again, Samurai. Your post about human evolution and the change in our eating habits made sense.

I have eliminated wheat (chapathis) from my diet. Also, removed the carrots and onions from my salad. The fruits for breakfast have been replaced with avocados / raw cucumber and tomatoes.

Quote:
The coffee you tried must be robusta, the bitter kind. Search for arabica beans coffee online, that should be fine. You don't have to eliminate caffeine, black coffee is known to assist weight loss. Just avoid sugar though.
This is the one thing in which I have tried and failed till now (tried black coffee, green tea etc), but still having 3 milk coffees with sugar daily. I have not been able to search for the arabica beans. Will do. (Searching for anything here is difficult as I can only speak Japanese, but not read or write kanji!).

Quote:
Eat everything in moderation, don't overeat.
Yes, have been doing this since the past one week and I actually feel much better at the end of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I am a keraliite and can identify with your urge to eat rice.
Dear vibbs, it is a big surprise for me that I have not felt a strong urge to eat rice since I started my diet 43 days ago! To think of it, I have never had anything other than yummy idiyappams, puttu, dosa, appam etc for breakfast in the past 35 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Regarding your concern for Cholestrol, the best way to quay fears is to get the blood work done.
This I definitely intend to, in 2 months from now. I had my last complete health check in July and I will get another one done in December when I go home for year-end holidays.

Thanks a lot, all you guys. The motivation I receive from this thread is invaluable.

I have been monitoring my diet and weight daily, and this is how my diet looks like now:

Breakfast at 08:00:
- 1 egg omelet (with 1 slice of cheese, mushrooms, capsicum, tomato).
- Half an avocado OR a small portion of cucumber / carrot salad.

Lunch at 12:00:
- 4 or 5 pieces of meat (chicken / beef / pork) with capsicum,
- a small portion of cucumber / carrot salad,
- a medium portion of vegetable (cabbage / egg plant / okra cooked in coconut oil)

Hunger-buster at 17:00:
- A small portion of cucumber / tomato salad

Dinner at 20:00:
- 4 pieces of fish, grilled / shallow-fried in coconut oil
- a medium portion of pulse (green gram / yellow dal / chick peas)
- a small cube of butter

Of course, there are the 3 milk coffees with sugar!

My weight which was at 78.2 kg one week ago has stabilized around 76.4 kg in the past couple of days. Looks like I have reached half way through my weight loss goal (83.5 kg --> 69 kg). Enjoying this trip so far. Now to start a proper work-out routine!

Last edited by Viju : 18th October 2016 at 08:09.
Old 18th October 2016, 10:06   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
Saw this thread floating around in FB. It says whole wheat is very bad...

goo.gl/9hJaJy
I found this debunking the whole wheat is bad theory. We need more search and discussion.

Often times big Food makes sure the research is tilted well away from any uncomfortable truths just like how we are discovering now about how the sugar industry paid for research not to point the finger at them for all the health problems.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:40   #1661
BHPian

Are you guys seriously consuming 125+ gram fat everyday? And 150+150 gm of protein and carb?

My assumption is based on a diet on a normal diet of 2000-2200 calories we need everyday plus 50+25+25 ratio that a moderately low carb LCHF recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
I found this debunking the whole wheat is bad theory. We need more search and discussion.
The culprit, I think, I am not talking of elite athletes, is not wheat (or sugar) rather an abundant, overeating (and drinking, both colas and liquor) society leading sedentary lifestyle plus low metabolism, in case one is about 40 years of age. Wheat has been with us for ages but the problem has become endemic in the last few decades.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 19th October 2016 at 13:04.
Old 19th October 2016, 15:34   #1662
BHPian

So I all ready to give LCHF a try as since last 6 months I'm gyming and I have had weight issues since I was 20 yrs old. I'm broad shouldered and not visibly fat as my broad structure and height i.e. 6 feet covers things upto a limit. But I'm stuck at 100 KGS since last six month despite gyming with a personal trainer. The muscles are taking shape the tummy has lost 2 inches but weight is not budging. My queries is as follows:

1.) Where do I start with the LCHF diet. I'll outline my day as follows:

Breakfast - Bowl of kellogs corn flakes. Some times some drr home made snacks
2 cups of tea at office one at 11 AM and another at 2:30 PM.
Lunch is 1 to 2 rotis with sabhzi curd and salad.
Gym is between 5 to 6PM 3 days weight training 2 days cardio and body weight exercises. Sat and Sunday off.
Dinner is where I loose the plot. If I restrict the diet here I get hungry by midnight. I'm a late sleeper. Also have 3 egg whites, 1 scoop whey and green tea after my workout. Dinner is a bunch of things like indian, gujju food, southindian, etc depends on the family's fancy. Houshold is vegetarian. When I eat out I'm a hard core non veg guy. Eggs allowed at home though. Am a social drinker and also a smoker.

Where should I start and what should i eat specifics in my schedule for LCHF to take effect. Thanks in advance.
Old 19th October 2016, 19:59   #1663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
So I all ready to give LCHF a try as since last 6 months I'm gyming and I have had weight issues since I was 20 yrs old. I'm broad shouldered and not visibly fat as my broad structure and height i.e. 6 feet covers things upto a limit. But I'm stuck at 100 KGS since last six month despite gyming with a personal trainer. The muscles are taking shape the tummy has lost 2 inches but weight is not budging. My queries is as follows:

Gym is between 5 to 6PM 3 days weight training 2 days cardio and body weight exercises. Sat and Sunday off.
Dinner is where I loose the plot. If I restrict the diet here I get hungry by midnight. I'm a late sleeper. Also have 3 egg whites, 1 scoop whey and green tea after my workout. Dinner is a bunch of things like indian, gujju food, southindian, etc depends on the family's fancy. Houshold is vegetarian. When I eat out I'm a hard core non veg guy. Eggs allowed at home though. Am a social drinker and also a smoker.

Where should I start and what should i eat specifics in my schedule for LCHF to take effect. Thanks in advance.
Here is a Facebook group where you find all information on LCHF

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Paleo.LCHF.Diet.India/

If you need a diet plan, they (Doctors/Senior Admins) will ask you to take certain blood tests and ask you to share with them. Based on the test results, they will recommend you a diet plan.

I have been following this diet for past 6 months with intermittent break due to few family functions. It really works for me. I have gone down > 10 kgs so far.
Old 19th October 2016, 20:04   #1664
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post

Am speaking purely from MY understanding of the LCHF diet.
This is what I would do if I was following your old diet.

Kellogs corn flakes: This is NOT food. Remove anything boxed and ready to eat from your diet.

Tea / Coffee: Drink as much as you want as long as its without milk and sugar. Low fat milk is crap. If you must use milk use the full cream variety.

Lunch seems fine, but increase the sabzi and remove the roti. Also check the carb content of every vegetable.

Eat whole eggs. Do not discard the yolks. They are as important as the white.
Dinner, you will need to figure out the items which are high carb and remove them. Check everything. I was surprised at the carb level of Ragi being greater than Wheat. You will also find many such surprises.

Anything protein and cooking in fat(ghee) will help you not feel hungry for a long time.
Old 19th October 2016, 23:57   #1665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Are you guys seriously consuming 125+ gram fat everyday? And 150+150 gm of protein and carb?
No, at least I am not. I don't count calorie, never have. Similarly I am not weighing my food to track the grams, or even count carbs. I have just drastically reduced eating food rich in carbs.

My breakfast is two full eggs + a cheese slice, pan fried in a teaspoon of ghee.
Lunch and dinner is a mix of stir-fried veggies and some meat/chicken/fish, with buttermilk.

I also have green tea or black coffee 3-4 times a day. My total sugar intake is now 10% of my original consumption.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th October 2016 at 23:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks