Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 00:23   #1666
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am now seriously beginning to consider fish for a while until I drop my weight a bit. Paneer every day is just killing me.
Try making paneer yourself using skim or double toned milk. I've done that of late and it's really helped in cutting the unnecessary fat and adding protein, esp since I don't eat meat. I also make curd with skim milk. Tastes almost the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
But I'm stuck at 100 KGS since last six month despite gyming with a personal trainer. The muscles are taking shape the tummy has lost 2 inches but weight is not budging.
You've answered your own question - weight isn't a good barometer standalone. Try measuring your fat and muscle percentage and target to reduce fat while increasing muscle.

Of late I've been doing hard core training - my weight is approx the same but fat has reduced by 3kg and muscle mass increased by 2kg.

Quote:
Breakfast - Bowl of kellogs corn flakes. Some times some drr home made snacks
Have eggs here. At least 5 per day?

Quote:
Gym is between 5 to 6PM 3 days weight training 2 days cardio and body weight exercises. Sat and Sunday off.
Your workout regimen is fine. Just stick to it. I would perhaps add a HIIT session for cardio. That's really effective.

Case in point - I dropped from 90 to 75 in around a year with a workout routine similar to yours - 3x weights, 2x HIIT, 1x LIIT.

Quote:
Dinner is where I loose the plot. If I restrict the diet here I get hungry by midnight. I'm a late sleeper. Also have 3 egg whites, 1 scoop whey and green tea after my workout. Dinner is a bunch of things like indian, gujju food, southindian, etc depends on the family's fancy. Houshold is vegetarian. When I eat out I'm a hard core non veg guy. Eggs allowed at home though. Am a social drinker and also a smoker.
Have the eggs in breakfast. Keep dinner light and shift the goodies to lunch is what I've done. Tough to do in a family scene, but is not impossible. Also tough personally, but again not impossible.
Old 20th October 2016, 10:59   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Here is a Facebook group where you find all information on LCHF

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Paleo.LCHF.Diet.India/
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Am speaking purely from MY understanding of the LCHF diet.
This is what I would do if I was following your old diet.
Thanks for your inputs. Being vegetarian in the house seriously constrains my options. Plus everything around my house hold revolves around Rotis like a typical indian household plus preparing eggs for breakfast everyday is a chore as mornings are jam packed with kids going to school etc. Can you people guide me to a place where there is a comprehensive list of food items for us Indians as there isn't much mentioned on the western websites regarding the same. Plus what is the take of keto on multigrains for Rotis?
Old 20th October 2016, 11:25   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your inputs. Being vegetarian in the house seriously constrains my options. Plus everything around my house hold revolves around Rotis like a typical indian household plus preparing eggs for breakfast everyday is a chore as mornings are jam packed with kids going to school etc. Can you people guide me to a place where there is a comprehensive list of food items for us Indians as there isn't much mentioned on the western websites regarding the same. Plus what is the take of keto on multigrains for Rotis?
All grains contain Carbs. So if one really wants to try keto, he has to completely get off the grains. No wheat, no multi grains, no rice, no Potatoes etc.

Most of the sugary fruits are also off because of this so are some vegetables. That apart, important thing is to increase the Fat content.

Some vegetables that I can think off (from Low carb perspective) are, cabbage, cauliflower (you may want to experiment with Cauliflower rice too), lettuce, spinach, Bhindi, Cucumber, tomatoes (extreme moderation), Tendli (I suppose, please reconfirm). Fruits well most of them have sucrose which is basically sugar which is what you want to avoid here in the first case. Avocado perhaps? Has good fat content. SOme berries too however in moderation.

Paneer and curd made from Full cream milk is another thing that you can look at.

Frankly, I beleive it is difficult to follow a True Keto diet being a vegetarian as it will be a tough ask to get the carbs so low as to count as a Keto diet.

You can try a medium carb diet instead with carbs content between 75-100 gms. That way you can include most fruits and vegetables in the diet.
Old 20th October 2016, 12:23   #1669
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Plus everything around my house hold revolves around Rotis like a typical indian household plus preparing eggs for breakfast everyday is a chore as mornings are jam packed with kids going to school etc.
You can boil eggs and store in the fridge. With cheese they are a great and quick breakfast option.
Other option is Overnight oats. That is like a tablespoon or two of uncooked oats soaked in curd overnight in the fridge.

I follow a simple diet of no wheat. Everything else I check online for carb content then eat whatever it is.

Last night I tried a really simple recipe, which was good.
http://summertomato.com/oddly-delici...bbage-and-eggs

You need to think out of the box for meals without roti's.
Old 20th October 2016, 12:32   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Last night I tried a really simple recipe, which was good.
http://summertomato.com/oddly-delici...bbage-and-eggs

You need to think out of the box for meals without roti's.
I look forward to your posts for the recipes/food.
Old 20th October 2016, 12:45   #1671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
I look forward to your posts for the recipes/food.

The Weight Loss Thread-wp1476851048611.jpg
Quote:
A relatively simple salad with a very high happy quotient to it.

Cut the guava into quarters and remove the part with seeds. Eat these while continuing to chop them into small pieces. Don’t waste this part but adding them to salad will hurt your teeth.

Melt butter, saute garlic. Add broccoli. Stir fry for 2 mins and cover the dish and switch off the heat. Let the broccoli cook in the residual heat till the vessel cools.

Combine the guava, broccoli and some chopped yellow capsicum. Drizzle olive oil and some paprika. Serve immediately or chilled.
The Weight Loss Thread-img_20161016_140744.jpg
Quote:
First you prepare the filling and chill it for a couple of minutes.
It has a grated raw mango, onion, green chilly, garlic, salt and coriander
While its chilling, cut a cucumber and remove the seeds.
Just before serving fill the cavity.
Old 20th October 2016, 17:19   #1672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Are you guys seriously consuming 125+ gram fat everyday? And 150+150 gm of protein and carb?
Not sure if guys are even getting that much!
I really want people to check their overall calorific intake on the so called LCHF diet. What is working to reduce the lard is the general reduction in calories, not magical replacement of carbs with fats. And observing if that still reduces the body fat.

The only way to determine whether LCHF diet is magically improving the body composition is to eat EXCESS calories with maximum percent (>50%) coming from fats.

LCHF helps, in cutting calories, in a way because carbs are addictive. The more simple they are the less full you feel. The more processed a food is, the less water it contains, and the less satiated one feels.
Try eating 2400 kcal worth of raw vegetable everyday, heck even boiled potato for that matter!
Oh but this ALSO means you can be high carbs(low fat) and still have low calories (Veggies and potato example )

LCHF helps when you are <10% body fat and you want to reduce the water retained subcutaneously.

People are fat because they eat too much and too frequently. Whenever I see around, someone or other is eating or gulping. We are obsessed with food, and we make comparisons, we try to rationalize with too less data. (Oh so and so eats this much but doesn't put on weight, I eat half but I still put on fat must be the carbs, must be the sugar, must be due to spanking the monkey ... Dayum, why don't you compare this way for you height, looks, skin color, hair color, baldness etc also?)

Last edited by alpha1 : 20th October 2016 at 17:29.
Old 20th October 2016, 17:37   #1673
Team-BHP Support

I posted my veggie soup link on the recipes thread here

Not necessarily targeted at weight loss but a viable option for vegetarians, can be tailored to individual needs with relevant adjustments for specific nutrient groups.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2016 at 17:39.
Old 20th October 2016, 19:06   #1674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
People are fat because they eat too much and too frequently. Whenever I see around, someone or other is eating or gulping. We are obsessed with food, and we make comparisons, we try to rationalize with too less data. (Oh so and so eats this much but doesn't put on weight, I eat half but I still put on fat must be the carbs, must be the sugar, must be due to spanking the monkey ... Dayum, why don't you compare this way for you height, looks, skin color, hair color, baldness etc also?)
Why bother with all this guessing? I defer to science instead.

What I have highlighted in your post has been addressed in this post.

The screenshot is from the book "Why we get Fat". It is not a diet book, but a book that discusses Fat research done in the last 150 years. LCHF is based on extensive research over a century and not some guesswork by BHPians.

Also, there was a major study published in 2007, which compared many diets and reluctantly agreed the low carb diet is better than the rest for weight loss.
Old 20th October 2016, 21:14   #1675
Team-BHP Support

I think its a lot easier to overeat on a high carb diet compared to a low carb diet.

One of the reasons, I FEEL is because when you remove wheat and rice, you need to chew a lot more.

This was part of my dinner and it took a good amount of eating instead of just gulping down:
The Weight Loss Thread-wp1476974606015.jpeg

Radish, Figs, Walnuts, Chillies, Olive Oil, Celery and Balsamic.
Old 21st October 2016, 10:44   #1676
BHPian

I'm not sure if intermittent fasting has been discussed here already. It sounds like a fad diet initially but it's not a diet. It's a style of meal timing undergoing a lot of research for its many other health benefits adding to longevity. The basic idea is to limit the window in which we consume food either for 7-8 hours per day or do a complete fast 1-2 times a week. Combined with a moderate amount of exercise, It had helped me a lot in the past with lowering my fat but also made me realise the difference between cravings and true hunger. Sorry if I sounded like a commercial for it but once you educate yourself about it and get on the lifestyle, the benefits are immense. I loved it as long as I did it and want to make it long term.
Old 21st October 2016, 11:15   #1677
BHPian

My typical breakfast. Along with weight training and running it has helped me come down from 74 to 68, and maintained my weight at that mark since last few months I haven't been regular with exercise.
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-img_20161021_105623.jpg  

Last edited by Piyadassi : 21st October 2016 at 11:38.
Old 21st October 2016, 12:07   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why bother with all this guessing? I defer to science instead.

Samurai, I am not saying that LCHF is bad or ineffective.
Neither am I making judgement about what is good in the long run health wise.

All I am saying is that most of the places (this thread, others on internet) - I have seen people reduce fat when they consume LCHF but it cannot be isolated to the low carb, high fat phenomenon because their overall calories have also reduced while following LCHF.

The only way to prove my hypothesis wrong would be to actually consume 3000 kcal daily doing the LCHF.
If calories in vs calories out is wrong way to looks at things, then over-consumption of calories (while following LCHF philosophy) should not lead to putting of body-fat.

There is nothing scientific or unscientific in what I say. It is plain mathematical logic.

Fair point?

I have nothing against LCHF, Atkins, Ketogenic. They are effective strategies that work. But the cause needs to be established by each individual.
Old 21st October 2016, 12:22   #1679
BHPian

I just wanted to know whether people here are treating LCHF diet and Keto diet as same? If not what are the differences? And any timeline or indications to know where your body in a state of Ketosis? Sorry for the noob questions but am just a beginner here!
Old 21st October 2016, 12:32   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The only way to prove my hypothesis wrong would be to actually consume 3000 kcal daily doing the LCHF.
Quote:
While eating LCHF will allow you more leeway than eating a typical low calorie low fat diet, obviously the laws of physics do apply and if you over-eat you will gain weight. If you determine that you should be eating around 1900 calories per day to maintain your weight and you eat around 2600, you will gain weight.
From an LCHF site.

http://www.lchfnation.com/how-to-lose-weight-step-1/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks