Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:38   #1546
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Vow, as usual Professor Samurai has put things clearly

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is one place where I am struggling. I do regular high intensity cardio workouts including running, cycling, swimming and HIIT workouts. When I totally restrict carbs, I find lacking in energy during the workouts. So, for now, I am including carbs just before and after the workouts and am limiting carbs in the other meals. Need to do some more reading on how to maintain performance levels while cutting carbs.
You can train your body to use the fat in your body when the glucose from carbs run out. Initially you can eat a banana or some such non sugary carbs before work out, and then slowly bring it down over a week or so, while maintaining or increasing the intensity of exercise. The body will start looking for energy and discover that you some fat left around your abdomen and begin using it
Old 24th August 2016, 10:42   #1547
BHPian

Hello Team,
Okay, so I am 24, 174 cms and hitting 110kgs, so I am definitely in a very bad shape. Having made up my mind to give the next 1-2 years completely to get myself into some shape.
My query to experts here is that will this whole HFLC diet help my cause or I need to look at something else.
I am somehow not too keen on joining a gym. But I've been cycling 5-6 kms a day already, which I intend to increase and add 5-6 kms of brisk walk/jog in the evenings.
Any and all help would be hugely appreciated.
Old 24th August 2016, 11:00   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Hello Team,
Okay, so I am 24, 174 cms and hitting 110kgs, so I am definitely in a very bad shape. Having made up my mind to give the next 1-2 years completely to get myself into some shape.
My query to experts here is that will this whole HFLC diet help my cause or I need to look at something else.
I am somehow not too keen on joining a gym. But I've been cycling 5-6 kms a day already, which I intend to increase and add 5-6 kms of brisk walk/jog in the evenings.
See this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3581623 (The Weight Loss Thread)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3582026 (The Weight Loss Thread)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post3582980 (The Weight Loss Thread)
Old 24th August 2016, 11:35   #1549
Distinguished - BHPian

Low carb, no carb, carb cycling, keto, paleo, Atkins, intermittent fasting etc etc are some of the diets that people follow to lose weight.

Weight loss is different from fat loss. IMO weight has nothing to do with health unless you are a couch potato living on junk food.

I weigh 100kg when I am the lightest, look skinny but feel great and strong. I am always on high protein, moderate fat, moderate carb diet. I lift weights and do walk atleast 3 km everyday.

It is possible to lose weight even while eating junk. It is simple math. Calorie in should be lesser than calorie out.

We should try to make this simple math work out in most healthy way- by not losing muscle, by not starving and by not being sedentary.

Being physically active, eating proper nutrients in right quantities and having adequate sleep is the best way to health. Short term diet plans may work that instance, but things go back to what they habe been. Health and fitness is a lifestyle, not a temporary habit.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th August 2016 at 11:39.
Old 24th August 2016, 12:03   #1550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hello Team,
Do you live alone or with Diet Enemy #1 also known as MOM.
The MOM will never understand and will do her best to sabotage any attempts at eating healthy.

So you will need to also convince her why you are doing a diet. But these MOM's are known to nod their heads in agreement and still not change anything.

Now about weight loss.
At your height and weight levels, its not something optional. You have no choice but to do everything you can do get rid of the fat.

Exercise:
This is supposed to help. But it will make you stronger and tougher. I will not really make you leaner. However the absence of exercise will end up sabotaging your diet plans. Working out makes you feel very good about yourself. The hormone kick in itself is totally worth it.
Get yourself the cheapest fitness band you can find. Something like a Mi Band. These cost about a thousand rupees.
You MUST walk atleast 1 hour every day for the first week.
Just amble like a turtle if you want. But you must be out.
At end of week #1, check what is the average distance you covered.
That is your speed.
No from second week onwards in the same one hour you must cover at least 10% more distance. Keep this cycle of increasing your pace.
This method will avoid injuring your knees and build stamina as well.
You can walk at any time of the day. Walk in the morning, after lunch, dinner time. Does not matter. But walk you must.

Diet:
All packaged processed foods are OUT. So no biscuits, chips, snacks or anything of that sort. That stuff gets a 100% ban. You cannot even sniff an empty packet. If it makes you sad, very good. Go out and do an extra 10 mins of walking.
Limit your intake of rice and roti. Limit intake of breads and buns. In fact don't eat any bread or buns.
You however can eat every vegetable and fruits. Any and all meats. No limits at all. Feel hungry want a snack. Eat a boiled egg.
Really want to eat some icecream. Eat cold curd without adding the biggest poison of them all. SUGAR.
I don't think I need to say this but no sugar in anything.

Create an account in a website like https://skinnyr.com/
Measure your weight at the same time everyday and enter it.

If all goes well and you start losing weight. Replace all the clothes in your wardrobe. You are not allowed to retain the old clothes.
Buy clothes that fit you perfectly.
So that if in future you become even slightly cavalier in your weight control. Your clothes will remind you that you are becoming fat.

All the best.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 12:47   #1551
BHPian

It sounds really good that LCHF diet works well but the biggest problem is what to eat for the person like me The Vegan one???
Old 24th August 2016, 13:23   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Low carb, no carb, carb cycling, keto, paleo, Atkins, intermittent fasting etc etc are some of the diets that people follow to lose weight.

Weight loss is different from fat loss. IMO weight has nothing to do with health unless you are a couch potato living on junk food.

I weigh 100kg when I am the lightest, look skinny but feel great and strong. I am always on high protein, moderate fat, moderate carb diet. I lift weights and do walk atleast 3 km everyday.

It is possible to lose weight even while eating junk. It is simple math. Calorie in should be lesser than calorie out.

We should try to make this simple math work out in most healthy way- by not losing muscle, by not starving and by not being sedentary.

Being physically active, eating proper nutrients in right quantities and having adequate sleep is the best way to health. Short term diet plans may work that instance, but things go back to what they habe been. Health and fitness is a lifestyle, not a temporary habit.
Thank You all for all your valuable inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do you live alone or with Diet Enemy #1 also known as MOM.
The MOM will never understand and will do her best to sabotage any attempts at eating healthy.

So you will need to also convince her why you are doing a diet. But these MOM's are known to nod their heads in agreement and still not change anything.

Now about weight loss.
At your height and weight levels, its not something optional. You have no choice but to do everything you can do get rid of the fat.

Exercise:
This is supposed to help. But it will make you stronger and tougher. I will not really make you leaner. However the absence of exercise will end up sabotaging your diet plans. Working out makes you feel very good about yourself. The hormone kick in itself is totally worth it.
Get yourself the cheapest fitness band you can find. Something like a Mi Band. These cost about a thousand rupees.
You MUST walk atleast 1 hour every day for the first week.
Just amble like a turtle if you want. But you must be out.
At end of week #1, check what is the average distance you covered.
That is your speed.
No from second week onwards in the same one hour you must cover at least 10% more distance. Keep this cycle of increasing your pace.
This method will avoid injuring your knees and build stamina as well.
You can walk at any time of the day. Walk in the morning, after lunch, dinner time. Does not matter. But walk you must.

Diet:
All packaged processed foods are OUT. So no biscuits, chips, snacks or anything of that sort. That stuff gets a 100% ban. You cannot even sniff an empty packet. If it makes you sad, very good. Go out and do an extra 10 mins of walking.
Limit your intake of rice and roti. Limit intake of breads and buns. In fact don't eat any bread or buns.
You however can eat every vegetable and fruits. Any and all meats. No limits at all. Feel hungry want a snack. Eat a boiled egg.
Really want to eat some icecream. Eat cold curd without adding the biggest poison of them all. SUGAR.

Create an account in a website like https://skinnyr.com/
Measure your weight at the same time everyday and enter it.

If all goes well and you start losing weight. Replace all the clothes in your wardrobe. You are not allowed to retain the old clothes.
Buy clothes that fit you perfectly.
So that if in future you become even slightly cavalier in your weight control. Your clothes will remind you that you are becoming fat.

All the best.
No I don't stay with my mom, I understand what you're saying but my parents (like most parents!) are bothered about my weight way more than I am, they've even agreed to buy me a new car if I lose 25 kgs.

All that you've suggested/prescribed makes a lot of sense and has to be done. Will be done.

I am not too fond of biscuits, cookies, and ready/shortcut snacks, but I love eating as it is and always keen on cooked food, I guess my eating out, timings and quantity has done the bad to me.

I have already cut my rice/roti intake by half and have a feeling I can completely skip them if I get sufficient quantities of fish or meat. Adviceable?

Also about dairy products, cheese, butter, dahi? allowed or no?

Also going through LCHF articles and websites online, I hear ghee or butter or coconut oil being the preferred grease for cooking, is it really that way? And they say even liberally quantities of butter is ok, which is a little confusing to me.
Old 24th August 2016, 14:19   #1553
BHPian

Just came across this innovative project on GitHub related to weight loss.

Machine Learning meets Ketosis: how to effectively lose weight.

This guy recorded his daily activity and weight. Then ran a machine learning algorithm on the data to derive a strategy for weight loss.

https://github.com/arielf/weight-loss

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th August 2016 at 15:59. Reason: Adding the right link
Old 24th August 2016, 14:26   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am not too fond of biscuits, cookies, and ready/shortcut snacks, but I love eating as it is and always keen on cooked food, I guess my eating out, timings and quantity has done the bad to me.

I have already cut my rice/roti intake by half and have a feeling I can completely skip them if I get sufficient quantities of fish or meat. Adviceable?

Also going through LCHF articles and websites online, I hear ghee or butter or coconut oil being the preferred grease for cooking, is it really that way? And they say even liberally quantities of butter is ok, which is a little confusing to me.
Good that you are not fond of the regular junk food - then it is easy for you. Eat sufficient quantities of meat/fish till you are full. But do not ignore the veggies. Butter and dahi are good - better avoid processed cheese. And we may not get good quality aged cheese here in India without paying through the nose. Liberal quantities of butter is ok - a good source of energy

It would be better if you get a medical check up testing your lipid profile before you go on a diet, so that you can have an idea of before and after scenario and make the necessary corrections some 3 months down the line
Old 24th August 2016, 14:26   #1555
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Good. Now fully eliminate this from your diet.

Quote:
Yes. This is what I am doing as well. Except that I have made roti as 0.

Quote:

Only the full cream varieties are good. Anything with the words "Reduced Fat" or "Fat Free" is banned.

Quote:

Yes. Its fine. Just don't go crazy on them.
Old 24th August 2016, 14:26   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Diet:
Thanks a lot to all moderators and members for the valuable insights. Most of the days I have no option but to have cornflakes in cold milk topped up with apple, pomegranates, almonds and a spoon of honey and oats. I enjoy it, but really not sure if it is adding more fat to my body through corn flakes and milk. Any suggestions?

Most of the days, I have this breakfast after my morning walk session for 50 mins. I walk around 4 KM (approx 4300 steps as captured by MI band). In this session, I climb up my 6 storey apartment 3 times. All together, I climb around 400 stairs after a walking session of 30-35 mins. If I have time, I climb the building once more making it 500 stairs.

Being overweight (I am ~90 KGs, height is 5'7", age 39 years) is this exercise regime good for me? Am I putting more pressure on my knees and my heart? I feel a slight pain on my knees, but that's OK. I love to do this cardio of climbing stairs. My parents are concerned, they say this might give me a heart attack (They know I smoke) !! A bit confused what to do...Please advice.

Thanks,
Old 24th August 2016, 14:31   #1557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Thanks a lot to all moderators and members for the valuable insights. Most of the days I have no option but to have cornflakes in cold milk topped up with apple, pomegranates, almonds and a spoon of honey and oats. I enjoy it, but really not sure if it is adding more fat to my body through corn flakes and milk. Any suggestions?
FIRST: QUIT SMOKING.

Have you tried overnight oats?

I make mine much simpler.
Quote:
Its just a bowl filled with oats immersed in a mix of yogurt and milk. Its left overnight in the fridge. So it does not pick up other smells and stays safe its covered with a cling film. If you have a bowl with a lid that will also work.
To break the monotony of the dish, add a fistful of chopped nuts and raisins. Any nuts like cashew, pistachio or almonds will do. For sweetness chopped raisins, dry figs and dry dates will do just fine.
Do not add walnuts. These are a little oily and I prefer to add them just before serving.
The Weight Loss Thread-13731597_1661215774169814_3163707981247076359_n.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-13715984_1661215777503147_2231902082385127461_n.jpg
Old 24th August 2016, 14:45   #1558
BHPian

Thanks bblost, I will try this. But any suggestions on Kellog's ? Should I continue with that?

Quitting cigarette is the toughest challenge I face...I am not a chain smoker, I lit just 5-6 sticks a day. Doctors sometimes get surprised that how I cannot quit where people smoking 30 sticks have come out of this addiction. I am trying my best. I hope I will succeed one day.

And, any suggestions on the climbing stairs part?

Thanks again.
Old 24th August 2016, 14:48   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Thanks bblost, I will try this. But any suggestions on Kellog's ? Should I continue with that?
Why are you adamant on distributing money to these companies? Eat 3 or 4 eggs in its place - more nutrition dense and more safe. If you feel really hungry after about 2 -3 hours, have a banana. Don't take shelter in the banana always. Over a period avoid that too
Old 24th August 2016, 14:50   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Naturally, I was very skeptical at first. Then I saw the book rating at Amazon.com, which 4.5 from 1911 people. That was a crazy rating enough to convince me to buy it on Kindle.

This book turned upside down every thing I thought I knew about fat, and I don't think I am alone...
Sharath, glad to know that you found the book useful. And since you seem to be convinced, am sure you will soon become a guru in the subject :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
And then a friend told about the book "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. This book was an eye opener. Here is the gist of what the book says.
Graaja, I instantly knew that friend who told you about the book is the same one who persuaded me to read it. Check with Adhi to confirm the same :-) Nice to see lot of informative posts on the subject. Only issue with the diet is it is even more difficult for a vegetarian to follow as the choices are very limited. Otherwise I am quite happy with the diet (though not following it to the T like you do) too.

Best thing the book did to me was to create an aversion towards sugar & so quitting sugar wasn't difficult at all. Though I wasn't a sugar tooth, I had big weakness for chocolate (cocoa) ice creams, at one point I felt like I was addicted to it. At its worst, I had 11 medium scoops of chocolate ice cream in a span of a week.
Post reading the book, I completely stopped having ice creams instead started having 90% dark chocolate (Lindt), best antidote and it has very less sugar content. Stopped taking sugar in coffee too & this minor change itself worked like magic and I lost 2 to 3 kgs in a very short span.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks