Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2016, 14:51   #1561
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by livetodrive View Post
Thanks bblost, I will try this. But any suggestions on Kellog's ? Should I continue with that?

Quitting cigarette is the toughest challenge I face...I am not a chain smoker, I lit just 5-6 sticks a day. Doctors sometimes get surprised that how I cannot quit where people smoking 30 sticks have come out of this addiction. I am trying my best. I hope I will succeed one day.

And, any suggestions on the climbing stairs part?

Thanks again.
I don't like cornflakes.
Also they have much processing going on in their production, which is why I don't eat them anymore.
Although my wife and kids like them, so we have it in the pantry.

I quit smoking cold turkey with no plans. It was in September 2008.
Since then I have been postponing the next cigarette and have successful stayed off them.

Stair climbing is something I have no idea about.
My exercise plan is just my cycle.

I ride to work on a regular basis. Its a 37 kms round trip.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:03   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

People who eat carbs and exercise don't lose fat, because the body uses the glucose from the carbs and leaves the accumulated fat alone. So if you eat and workout until hunger strikes you, and then eat carbs again, your fat will be left alone. There will be no weight loss.

In other words, if you eat proteins/fat instead of carbs, the glucose supply comes in a long trickle instead of a sudden flood. So if you workout or spend energy under these conditions, the body will desperately look for alternative source and finds the fat storage in fat cells and starts using that. That results in fat loss.
I have slightly different opinion regarding fat burn. Please correct me, If I am wrong in thinking so. I believe that the more we exercise (by exercise I mean lift heavy weights in the gym), we build muscle. The more muscle mass we build, the more energy is consumed by the body even during rest, this extra energy consumption will cause the accumulated fat to burn, eventually leading to fat loss. The big myth lot of people believe in, is fat gets converted into muscle, it couldn't be further from the truth.
If you lift big and eat big, first you will gain only muscle mass and the fat will remain as it is, result is you will look bigger and weigh more. By continuing to exercise and combining cardio with body building, you can kick start your metabolism to burn accumulated fat.
The other issue is once one starts to work out, the body demands more calories, by making us hungry after a big workout, and lot of people eat more as a result of feeling hungry. End result, calorie intake is increased even with exercise.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 24th August 2016 at 15:05.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:24   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
I have slightly different opinion regarding fat burn. Please correct me, If I am wrong in thinking so. I believe that the more we exercise (by exercise I mean lift heavy weights in the gym), we build muscle. The more muscle mass we build, the more energy is consumed by the body even during rest, this extra energy consumption will cause the accumulated fat to burn, eventually leading to fat loss..
True - but in order for the fat to get burned, the body will first exhaust the easily available glucose in the body and then after exhausting it may turn to the accumulated fat. But due to the process already explained in Samurai's post, the body will instead of using the accumulated fat, ask for more glucose. You will feel tired and hungry. You eat more carbs, the insulin process, will convert this to fat and make available only a little glucose as energy. And the cycle continues

Quote:
The big myth lot of people believe in, is fat gets converted into muscle, it couldn't be further from the truth.
No one disputes this - we are talking about accumulated fat in the body and not fat in the food

And regarding calorie intake, if you eat nutrition dense food, it is easier for you to take care of your body and break the vicious cycle of fat accumulation that your body is engaged in
Old 24th August 2016, 15:33   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Following is my understanding after reading the book, pardon any mistakes.

Brilliantly explained I believe. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I disagree guys. Primarily, A calorie deficit / excess is what causes weight loss/gain, not carb deficit/excess.

I think it all depends from person to person. I have tried both and had results with both. Calorie in - calorie out had me lose close to 3-4 kg in a month last year. However after reading posts on Keto here on the forum, I tried it from June end onwards. I have been keeping a daily weight log. (pls see the below image). In the last two months I have lost 10 Kgs weight and already a couple of inches on my waist.

The Weight Loss Thread-new-bitmap-image.jpg

Both counting calories and counting carbs worked for me, however, when I was restricting my intake (Cant afford to burn a lot of calories by excercising due to my schedule so only option was to cut down on the intake.) I realised that I was mostly always hungry.

In Keto, I never counted calories but counted only the carbs. Weight loss wass rapid initially. I realise this is due to all the water loss that happens initially. However even then there has been a constant weight loss with reduction of inches around the waist too. Biggest advantage that I feel is that since you are not really counting the calories, you dont end up being hungry whole day. Yes there was an initial period when it did hit hard, but once the body got used to it, I actually found that I am more energetic the whole day than when I was consuming Carbs.

Of late however I have added some carbs in the diet which may also be the reason for the reduction in the rate of weight loss. I slowly plan to get more active starting with walking daily and then taking it further from there.

In a nutshell, calorie- in/ calorie out may work well for some, Counting carbs may work for some.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:37   #1565
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Graaja, I instantly knew that friend who told you about the book is the same one who persuaded me to read it. Check with Adhi to confirm the same :-) Nice to see lot of informative posts on the subject. Only issue with the diet is it is even more difficult for a vegetarian to follow as the choices are very limited. Otherwise I am quite happy with the diet (though not following it to the T like you do) too.

Best thing the book did to me was to create an aversion towards sugar & so quitting sugar wasn't difficult at all. Though I wasn't a sugar tooth, I had big weakness for chocolate (cocoa) ice creams, at one point I felt like I was addicted to it. At its worst, I had 11 medium scoops of chocolate ice cream in a span of a week.

Post reading the book, I completely stopped having ice creams instead started having 90% dark chocolate (Lindt), best antidote and it has very less sugar content. Stopped taking sugar in coffee too & this minor change itself worked like magic and I lost 2 to 3 kgs in a very short span.
Wow. That was an accurate guess. The world is small indeed.

Just before Adhi posted in FB about the Why We Get Fat book, I was struggling with my weight loss. I could not make head or tail on the fact that my weight was not going down in spite of the 100's km cycling per month, or the 10K runs or the half marathons I was doing. Then Adhi's FB post came as God's message. I am just waiting to achieve some more fitness goals before writing a big thank you message to Adhi

Yes. It is very difficult to get right food in LCHF for vegetarians. The only options are paneer, almonds, butter, ghee, avocados, greens and vegetables. Though you can achieve the fat goals in vegetarian diet, achieving the protein goal is a little difficult.

And completely cutting sugar is the most important part. The day I changed over from milk coffee with sugar to black coffee without sugar, I felt a significant improvement in the rate of weight loss. These days I limit sugar intake to maybe a scoop of ice cream (I love ice creams too ), or a glass of lime soda once in 2 weeks.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:39   #1566
Distinguished - BHPian

Counting carbs and counting calories are the same.

1g carb = 4 calories
1g protein = 4 calories
1g fat = 9 calories

Intense strength training/ HIIT helps fat loss in a great way. You build muscle and muscle burns calories to just sustain. More muscle, more calories you burn.

Your resting BMR depends on lean mass. Some guys can eat 3500 calories a day and still won't gain a pound. That is because their BMR is high, and they are physically very active.

I for one, am against counting calories. As a beginner in strength training, one can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th August 2016 at 15:41.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:40   #1567
Team-BHP Support

For many of you it will require a major paradigm shift to accept the premise, let alone follow it. If I hadn't lost 5 Kgs since July, I wouldn't believe it either. I might sound like a guy who has recently found a new religion and evangelizes like a new convert. Actually I have become an apostate by giving up carbs. I consider myself a Pastafarian, therefore rejecting carbs like pasta and noodles is nothing less than apostasy.

If you need proof and lots of convincing, do what I did. Read the best books (at least one) on the subject. It will answer literally all your questions.

Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It
The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet

Last edited by Samurai : 24th August 2016 at 15:46.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:45   #1568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For many of you it will require a major paradigm shift to accept the premise, let alone follow it. If I hadn't lost 5 Kgs since July, I wouldn't believe it either. ]
More than believing, it is about physical performance.

Agreed, carb depletion/cutting can make you lose weight. But at the same time, if you are someone into sports, carb cutting will affect your performance. Say, if you are a powerlifter/swimmer, carb is your friend. Carb is the source of energy, and cutting out on it hampers the optimal performance.

If weightloss is the only goal, keto can help. Very low carb and high protein plus fat. Being a south Indian, low carb diets are our enemies.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:52   #1569
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
But at the same time, if you are someone into sports, carb cutting will affect your performance. Say, if you are a powerlifter/swimmer, carb is your friend. Carb is the source of energy, and cutting out on it hampers the optimal performance.

If weightloss is the only goal, keto can help. Very low carb and high protein plus fat. Being a south Indian, low carb diets are our enemies.
Well, I am on low carb since 50 days, and have lost 5 kgs since. But it hasn't affected whatever moderate workouts I do. But I am no powerlifter, so I don't know about that.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:58   #1570
Senior - BHPian

I do intense workouts for 2 hours in the morning (intense weights and run for 5 kms after) When I cut down on carbs, the next day I can feel that in my workout !

For people who just want to lose weight, cutting carbs and doing moderate exercise and even jogging (not intense workouts) might be easier.

Last edited by srishiva : 24th August 2016 at 15:59.
Old 24th August 2016, 16:07   #1571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But at the same time, if you are someone into sports, carb cutting will affect your performance. Say, if you are a powerlifter/swimmer, carb is your friend. Carb is the source of energy, and cutting out on it hampers the optimal performance.
Guess you can dial in the good quality carbs once your body has got rid of all the excess flab. But the problem is you can easily go overboard on the carbs. Fruits (better to limit to one large fruit), Tapioca (fistful at the max) etc will be good instead of rice and particularly wheat. Sports persons need carbs, but their body is better tuned to burning it off and they exercise much harder than an average office goer
Old 24th August 2016, 16:10   #1572
Team-BHP Support

I have a doubt on Keto.

How much meat should I be eating.
Can I eat say 300 grams of beef for lunch and another 300 gms of chicken (breast) for dinner.
Or
Should I eat some grilled egg plants for dinner.

Note: All weights are for the raw products and not once cooked.

Last edited by bblost : 24th August 2016 at 16:12.
Old 24th August 2016, 16:36   #1573
BHPian

Quote:

Agreed, carb depletion/cutting can make you lose weight. But at the same time, if you are someone into sports, carb cutting will affect your performance. Say, if you are a powerlifter/swimmer, carb is your friend. Carb is the source of energy, and cutting out on it hampers the optimal performance.

No, If I recall correctly, there was a rider in the pro peloton who was low carb high fat diet. I think body adapts to it too. I also remember reading articles which said carb are must for top end performance and some articles refuting it too. Shall post if I am able to retrieve them.
Old 24th August 2016, 16:49   #1574
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Coach Gopichand and Olympic silver medal winner PV Sindhu were on very strict low carb diet. Do you question their physical performance?

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/spo...or/283327.html
Old 24th August 2016, 17:02   #1575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Coach Gopichand and Olympic silver medal winner PV Sindhu were on very strict low carb diet. Do you question their physical performance?

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/spo...or/283327.html
Do you blindly believe everything media has to say? I don't want to quote an elite Olympian here. Their diet plans are highly advanced with a lot of supplementation around. A pre workout can boost energy even while on low carb.
I am very sure no coach would let an athlete go low carb before an event.

As far as I am concerned, I have been into intense strength training for over ten years, and I have experienced a big hit in performance when ever i am low on carbs.

It is natural to quote examples of elite sports people. The ugly truth being, any sport in it's elitr form requires athletes to use PEDs(Performance Enhancing Drugs). There are many ways they mask the presence of the PED in their bloodstream during the drug tests. That is entirely a different topic of discussion.

For a natural trainee, low carb will affect performance unless he is in ketosis, that is keto diet. Keto looks simple but getting as much protein and good fats from our Indian food is very very hard.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 24th August 2016 at 17:14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks