Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 18:26   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

My view is against ZERO carb diet. Man has evolved from primates who are basically vegetarians and have been living over millions of years on diet rich in carbs. There are two types of carbs - Good and Bad. Good carbs like whole grains, vegetables and fruits are essential for the body. They are the source of instant energy that is needed by the body to do day to day activities. They have low glycemic Index and low gycemic load that will put lower stress on our digestive /endocrine system. Bad carbs need to be avoided at all costs. Maida, sugar, honey, High fructose corn syrup based food items are some of the bad carbs that need to be avoided as they result in Insulin insensitivity. Animal fat needs to be minimised as much as possible. fat from plant sources provide good fat that is healthy for humans.

ZERO Carb diets show some benefits initially on people who are currently nonrestrictive in their diet and eat whatever they feel like. These diets are not sustainable on a long term basis as human body is not designed for the same.

Vegetarian Indians were the best examples of the above diet till recently (40 years back) when they adopted white rice, refined floor (Maida) and other bad carbs which has resulted in obesity in India. By switching from white to Brown rice and maida to whole wheat floor, reducing all deep fried items and maintaining 50% calories by Carbs, 30 by Proteins and 20 by Fat (Good fat) gives a well balanced diet.

This view is contra to above Zero carb view and this is the view I have been following and it has given me great benefits in terms of health and fitness.
Old 18th November 2014, 19:30   #1142
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
ZERO Carb diets show some benefits initially on people who are currently nonrestrictive in their diet and eat whatever they feel like. These diets are not sustainable on a long term basis as human body is not designed for the same.
+1. The idea is not ZERO carb. I think its low carb. But I do understand what you want to put forth. In that carb (glycogen) should still be the chief source of energy as against fats which are stored energy.

I think in the end, it still boils down to what is sustainable over long term rather than going to the extremes (either way). One which can be adopted on a daily basis should be good. As long as body critical parameters are doing good one should be fine.
Old 9th December 2014, 08:09   #1143
Team-BHP Support

Damn, another myth busted.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...ence-ignorance
Old 9th December 2014, 11:02   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Agree with everything written there. What I have come to realize is:
If it is being marketed, it is probably useless for you.
Old 9th December 2014, 13:16   #1145
Team-BHP Support

Saw this thread floating around in FB. It says whole wheat is very bad...

http://www.truthaboutabs.com/fat-burning-kitchen.html
Old 9th December 2014, 13:41   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Indians have been eating rice and wheat for centuries (If not Millennia) . I do not see this being an issue for us (Indians) even if all that is being told in the article is true about wheat. I don't think the above article is close to true, hence no worries.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:07   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If we start paying attention to each and every such thread then probably only option is to terminate our lives by giving up food and water like Jain monks do at the end of life.

If this was true lots of traditional north Indians people would not live beyond 30 years of age , Perhaps centuries of wheat consumption has developed ecosystem in their bodies allowing to digest wheat properly.

Lots of things including genetic make-up and the gut bacteria decide how food is ultimately assimilated in body. Many westerners and news papers in India doing copy paste of western articles earnestly believe that vegetarians should have been long dead due to lack of Vitamin B12 and recommend that vegetarians should pop B12 supplements.

However we know by experience that most Indian vegetarians live a happy long normal life despite no known source of B12.

This miracle is possible because we consume live cultures such a curd and fermented food and do not live in ultra sanitary environment allowing microbes to live in symbiotic relationship in our guts and give us B12.
Old 9th December 2014, 14:22   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If we start paying attention to each and every such thread then probably only option is to terminate our lives by giving up food and water like Jain monks do at the end of life.
I didn't really believe it, considering the article was trying to sell a book at the end promising to reveal more secrets.
Old 12th December 2014, 12:31   #1149
Senior - BHPian

After adhering to quite a well monitored diet and being quite regular ( about 10 days on the treadmill and 2-3 days of long walks on the road ) with cardio, I have come down from 72 kg to 69.5 kg in the past 1.5 months.
Old 12th December 2014, 16:40   #1150
Distinguished - BHPian

Visiting this thread after a long time. Just curious to know if anyone heard about Truweight or have tried it?

http://truweight.in/

They insist that you should eat more to lose weight

I love this concept
Old 12th December 2014, 19:23   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Visiting this thread after a long time. Just curious to know if anyone heard about Truweight or have tried it?

I love this concept
But you won't be feasting on burgers! Unfortunately what makes food delicious are fat and carbs and no diet plan can permit it except occasionally.

Took a cursory look at the site. Nothing new. Trying to catch the ear the other way round. Take 'eat more' just as a smart headline. Even if you eat more you will be consuming lesser calories. But yes, it will help you avoid the pitfall most dieters fall into. i.e. eating too less.

Losing weight is not that difficult as it is made out to be. First and foremost, you need dedication, followed by right type of food, thereafter right amount of food and then cardio and then weight training.

Just one observation... we human beings are veered towards complicated programmes, but the answer often is very simple, and this is what makes it difficult.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 12th December 2014 at 19:28.
Old 15th December 2014, 15:21   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I love this concept
Quote:
We are a young team headed by a food scientist, managed by an IIM grad and staffed with dietitians and fitness experts who have helped 4727 people lose weight.
Oh my goodness. Imagine the profits being reaped to keep an IIM guy hooked to this 'venture'. I am sure the eat more to lose more hook was coined by him ;-)

I used to feel sad for suckers who time and again fall for such things.
But these days I feel happy that suckers are being milked, because that's another means of wealth being churned in an economy.

On the other hand, even I can eat more to reduce weight.
Imagine this: I eat about 500 g of raw rice per day (about 2 cups).
If I start eating only vegetables and fruits, I might be able to eat 2 kg of them per day and still fall short of my calorific requirement.
Ergo fat loss.
Old 13th January 2015, 13:16   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Just started attempting weight loss for the first time ever in my life, about a month back. Seriously. I have hardly been in a gym all my life and eating/drinking anything I want, whenever I want. Grew up with the myth that "fat people will be fat, thin people will be thin and its all genetics". Also, a huge fan of rice, potatoes and beer.

Of course, it all caught up and I'm a fatso with no muscle at 30 y/o.

Anyway, I guess better late than never. I'm just glad I'm starting this at 30 instead of 40.

Seeing some "newbie gains" since this is my first attempt.

Gains so far:

When I started (Dec 15 2014):
- Weight: 200lb (90.7 kg)
- Gut size: 45 inches
- Body fat percentage: 36%

Now (Jan 12 2015) - a little less than a month:
- Weight: 188lb (85.2 kg)
- Gut size: 42 inches
- Body fat percentage: 32%

I intend to keep going till I hit a decent gut size. I don't care about weight, but all I want is to look in the mirror and not feel guilty. I want to wear a T-shirt and not have any tires poking out of my sides.

Nice newbie gains huh.. hope it keeps going . But I can already feel it slowing down, as expected.

Last edited by rajushank84 : 13th January 2015 at 13:21.
Old 13th January 2015, 17:37   #1154
Senior - BHPian

@Raju - Congrads you have taken the first step and succeeded to last 4 weeks. the initial 4 weeks is the most painful and if you have come this far, I am sure you can sustain this regime. I noticed that you reduced 5 kgs in a month. That is commendable. keep it up man. Make sure you get your gut size down to 32 or 34 inches. Wish you all the very best.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:08   #1155
BHPian

Decided it was time to shed a few pounds, as all jeans started morphing from loose-fit to skin-tight. After reading about GM Diet, decided to give it a go.

After 5 days of following this, I am lighter by 3 kgs now and feel healthier. I intend to continue some of the practices of this diet like fruit day, soup night etc going forward as well.

Last edited by Caffeinated : 14th January 2015 at 11:09. Reason: Highlighting field

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks