Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 16:43   #1081
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
The most amazing part is you do not need the reference figures. You can feel it. fat actually disappears from these areas. If you do need reference figures one figure quoted above is a reference figure in most cases - waist to height ratio is 45%.
Agree - one can just take photos of yourself and SEE the difference. Or measure total inches week after week.

MM - there are thousands of blogs on the subject replete with photos. Search tim ferriss for one, he has detailed set of photos of X% body fat (X=6-30 range!)
Old 15th October 2014, 16:48   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. The reason am asking is this

I'd lost quite a lot of weight over the last year and a half. From being slightly overweight (76kg/174cm) I came down to being underweight (about 60kg). At around 64 kg currently, I need to know that whatever I am gaining is the right kind of weight
Old 15th October 2014, 17:07   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

I'd lost quite a lot of weight over the last year and a half. From being slightly overweight (76kg/174cm) I came down to being underweight (about 60kg). At around 64 kg currently, I need to know that whatever I am gaining is the right kind of weight
You lucky man. That is REALLY lean.

http://www.4hourlife.com/2011/04/09/...ou-measure-up/
Old 15th October 2014, 17:13   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You will need to lift weights to know that.
1. If the weights that you lift are going up it means you are putting on the muscles.

2. If the waist figure is going up - it means you are putting on the fat.

3. Unless you take steroids both will go up. By what proportion (muscle:fat) is determined by your body's natural testosterone levels. (which you can play around with if you take steroids)

4. Lifting weights will only slightly tend to tilt the balance more towards gaining muscles compared to gaining fat.

5. In general even if you don't lift, you will tend to gain muscles along with fat.

*Waist = not the trouser/jeans waist measure - but the smallest circumference of your torso - which is usually between where ribs end and the navel is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
Mine waist to height ratio is exact 45.4545%. Online calculator puts fat percentage at 12.83. Waist (the widest part of the stomach slightly below the navel is 30). Want to take 1-2 inches further off. Just to see how a sub 10% BF looks like. Let's hope I sustain the effort.
In your case, I am not sure whether you have been into heavy lifting, but in case you are not into it, the waist to height ratio should be lower than 45%.

This is because the abdominal muscles come heavily into play (and thus get developed) whenever you have to lift weight off the floor or balance it overhead / on back.

Last edited by alpha1 : 15th October 2014 at 17:18.
Old 15th October 2014, 19:07   #1085
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Pretty awesome Mowgli!

Just a caveat from someone who's been there done that and thrown it all away...be as strict (ot stricter) in maintenance mode than you have been in losing mode. The usual cycle is to let your guard down a bit and then slip into a spiralling vortex out of control . i have down this 4 times now, each time losing good weight but somehow managing to put it back on again. As you grow older the ease at which you do this is also compromised.

Anyway let me not rain on your parade...congratulations! And do indulge in a cheat meal to celebrate!
Old 15th October 2014, 19:34   #1086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
In your case, I am not sure whether you have been into heavy lifting, but in case you are not into it, the waist to height ratio should be lower than 45%.

This is because the abdominal muscles come heavily into play (and thus get developed) whenever you have to lift weight off the floor or balance it overhead / on back.
You got it! It's a delight reading you.

Yes, I have been lifting weights for some time. But it is since Dec last year when I started lifting heavy that I made some gains. Weight went up from 65 to 70 and waist from 30 to 33/34.

Around 4/5 months ago I started cutting (and left heavy lifting for 10x3). Could succeed in bringing my waist down to 30.

Now I am trying to take it further and see if it is possible to scrape 1 or 2 more inches. I have also changed my tack and trying to lift as heavy as I can while consuming ~2200 cal diet, 20 min cardio for 3 days a week and 10 min plyometrics for 2 days.
Old 16th October 2014, 14:43   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Pretty awesome Mowgli!

be as strict (ot stricter) in maintenance mode than you have been in losing mode. The usual cycle is to let your guard down a bit and then slip into a spiralling vortex out of control
Actually the whole issue is that people don't realize: only the diet that made someone come from 80 kg to 70 kg is the same diet that will let you remain at 70 kg.

By going back to the previous food & drink intake, one would again start creeping towards 80 kg.

Quote:
Yes, I have been lifting weights for some time. But it is since Dec last year when I started lifting heavy that I made some gains. Weight went up from 65 to 70 and waist from 30 to 33/34.

Around 4/5 months ago I started cutting (and left heavy lifting for 10x3). Could succeed in bringing my waist down to 30.

Now I am trying to take it further and see if it is possible to scrape 1 or 2 more inches. I have also changed my tack and trying to lift as heavy as I can while consuming ~2200 cal diet, 20 min cardio for 3 days a week and 10 min plyometrics for 2 days.
Did you by any chance started "splurging" on gallon of milk fad?
Old 16th October 2014, 15:13   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Did you by any chance started "splurging" on gallon of milk fad?
Definitely not. But what makes you say?

Fad is something I usually stay away from. I understand that any plan should be sustainable in the long run, be it exercise or diet. Or else... as you had mentioned in the reply to noopster, you lose all your gains.
Old 16th October 2014, 15:13   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You lucky man. That is REALLY lean.

http://www.4hourlife.com/2011/04/09/...ou-measure-up/
Thanks. Well, actually was a bit too lean. Was walking around in oversized shirts and pants for some time. Thanks for the link - seems too cumbersome to use or rather requires too much investment of my time and energy

Quote:
You will need to lift weights to know that.
Since am not lifting weights (except body weight) I may never know that - and also since you are saying it does not matter much in muscle gain, am not going to lift weights also (As I commented in the other thread, your posts are motivating and demotivating at the same time!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Pretty awesome Mowgli!
Thanks. Since am actually loving the diet am into, I may not fall out of it!! And yes cheats are always there - once a week or so. In my case, what helps is I do not have any particular fascination for junks and fries (And since am anyway old(er) I think I may not fall so easily into the cycle that you experienced)

Last edited by mallumowgli : 16th October 2014 at 15:21.
Old 16th October 2014, 22:01   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Since am actually loving the diet am into, I may not fall out of it!!
Wow, 60 from 76 I am dreaming about but almost 4 times I have let the hard work go down the drains. Could you please share your formula with us too? And exercise pattern too. Pardon me if it has already been posted.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:01   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
I need to know that whatever I am gaining is the right kind of weight
Don't take this to be the last word.

I've read somewhere that post 40 (if you look around, I think the process starts after 35 only) the rate of muscle loss exceeds the rate at which it is being built. It is the opposite wrt to fat. (We wish it were otherwise). The only process to reverse this trend to some extent is weight-lifting.

Second, whether you are gaining the right kind of weight. At the most basic level take the pinch test. Pinch at waist (navel level) as fat accumulates earliest here, chest and biceps you'll get the answer. Use Vernier Caliper if you want to eliminate subjectivity.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:13   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not. But what makes you say?

Fad is something I usually stay away from. I understand that any plan should be sustainable in the long run, be it exercise or diet. Or else... as you had mentioned in the reply to noopster, you lose all your gains.
Quote:
But it is since Dec last year when I started lifting heavy that I made some gains. Weight went up from 65 to 70 and waist from 30 to 33/34.

Therefore I presumed that the 5 kg gains along with 3-4 inches on waist happened between Dec 2013 and May 2014.

Usually this fast gain can happen only when someone is entirely new to weights. If not then it is mainly fat gain with some muscles fueled via caloie intake.

Such fast gain (1 kg per month) is what happens when someone is following advice of GOMAD believers or Mark Rippetoe (of course it leads to strength gain and muscles, but clad well with fat)

Quote:
Since am not lifting weights (except body weight) I may never know that - and also since you are saying it does not matter much in muscle gain, am not going to lift weights also (As I commented in the other thread, your posts are motivating and demotivating at the same time!!)
Not so fast dear comrade.
You as a neophyte will have 2-3 years of real muscle gaining phase. EVEN on caloric balance, or perhaps very slight excess.
This is when you will increase your strength (on any rep range and any program - contrary to what online gurus speak, and hence peddle their training programs) and muscle look.

What I posted on the bodybuilding thread was about people who are past this stage. And for them bulking, cutting, changing programs etc will not really achieve anything. What the body now requires is steroids to fuel further growth in strength and muscles. Rest all becomes ineffective and only serves to satisfy one's ego.
OR one needs to become super fatty in order to keep gaining strength and muscles (if one doesn't want to experiment with steroids).

Quote:
I've read somewhere that post 40 (if you look around, I think the process starts after 35 only) the rate of muscle loss exceeds the rate at which it is being built. It is the opposite wrt to fat. (We wish it were otherwise). The only process to reverse this trend to some extent is weight-lifting.
Oh yes this is very important. Training with weights will let one maintain his muscle and strength levels.

Last edited by alpha1 : 17th October 2014 at 12:20.
Old 17th October 2014, 12:33   #1093
BHPian

[quote=alpha1;3558614]Usually this fast gain can happen only when someone is entirely new to weights. If not then it is mainly fat gain with some muscles fueled via caloie intake.

Such fast gain (1 kg per month) is what happens when someone is following advice of GOMAD believers or Mark Rippetoe (of course it leads to strength gain and muscles, but clad well with fat)

In a way you are right. Though I was exercising for quite some time but was stuck up with mental block on the Pyramid routine in Arnold's book we used to follow when we were in our 20s (I was grossly underweight then).

Diet part too was not something commendable. So when I changed to heavy lifting routine from Dec onwards the weights went up phenomenally (Deadlift from 120 around to 205 pounds (5 reps for 4 sets each). The waist too increased as I was choking myself with 2800-3000 cal. And absolutely no cardio. But I have learnt the lessons and moving ahead accordingly. Let's see what lies ahead.

Last edited by Piyadassi : 17th October 2014 at 12:56.
Old 17th October 2014, 14:12   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Folks at 180cm in height, I am now becoming over-weight. What would be a good way to reduce the weight? My current exercise is only a brisk walk (I sweat) for around 40mins. Guess that is not enough.

1. Will swimming be a good exercise? I prefer this as slightly better than cycling or walking the tread mill etc.
2. What would be ideal work out time required per day? Need to plan my day.

Thanks in advance..
Old 17th October 2014, 14:27   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Folks at 180cm in height, I am now becoming over-weight. What would be a good way to reduce the weight? My current exercise is only a brisk walk (I sweat) for around 40mins. Guess that is not enough.

1. Will swimming be a good exercise? I prefer this as slightly better than cycling or walking the tread mill etc.
2. What would be ideal work out time required per day? Need to plan my day.

Thanks in advance..
Swimming is excellent exercise and 40 mins - 1 hour is sufficient. But depends on how productive that 1 hour is. The fittest person I know swims 40 mins in summers and runs 5 kms in 40 mins in the cold. That's the only exercise he does now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks