Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 12:14   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Since fruits like apple, melon, banana also have natural sugars, how does this impact the body? Are natural sugars in form of fruits fine or should they also be avoided?
My personal experience - They are fine, if not, actually desirable.
Since the last 2.5+ years, since I began my transformation journey, I average a daily intake of 5-6 whole fruits. Neither my fitness, nor vitals, not weight, now energy levels etc. have given me any reason not to eat fruits.
I also about other sugary foods, but am a sucker for ice-cream and dark chocolates.
Work out regularly, eat right, and eat variety.. All will be ok.
Old 17th August 2018, 12:33   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
sugar in my electrolytes that I use during exercise.
This is something that has been bothering me for a while. I workout 3 days a week- an hour each. Under supervision from a personal trainer- so the usual drill of weights, push-ups, crunches and time permitting atleast 10 mins on the treadmill. Trying to lose excessive weight was the main reason for doing this, however have not lost much in the last 1.5 years due to: 1) not controlling my diet 2) Not doing even minimum amount of cardio for the remaining 4 days.

Now, the trainer has recommended that I eat a small banana atleast 30 mins prior to the workout, which is not possible, as its always a rush time for me early morning. So, to prevent blackouts etc. I have started taking electrolytes- about 3 scoops (I use a big bottle and it has a plastic scoop) of Enerzal (maybe 30 gms?) in 750 ml- 1 liter of water. And I take small sips through out the session.

My question is, am I negating the efforts of the workout as the electrolyte as some sugar in it, or is it ok, given that I am not taking anything else like banana etc.?
Old 17th August 2018, 13:01   #1983

Want to add my bit about choosing the right fats when you are on LCHF. One thing that many don't know is that refined oils are to be avoided. 1 litre of oil needs 2-3 Kgs of nuts/seeds and it is a scam they are able to sell these refined oils at low prices they are now. 70% of it is cheap chemicals which are not we should be consuming. This is the reason you should be very careful of your source of fat, especially oils.
Unfortunately, most people prefer refined oils compared to cold pressed ones because of the cholesterol myth that the pharma companies propagated around.
Old 17th August 2018, 13:18   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
1) not controlling my diet 2) Not doing even minimum amount of cardio for the remaining 4 days.
I am no expert. But to me it seems that the old addage of 'you can't outrun a bad diet' is true to some extent.

If we don't control our diet, it is very easy to undo all the good work done in the gym.
Old 17th August 2018, 13:44   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
If we don't control our diet, it is very easy to undo all the good work done in the gym.
I know, and this is my target now- moving to a saner diet. Keto may not work for me right away, as I have decent stock of oats, muesli etc. but looking at other options. And hence my dilemma regarding electrolytes.
Old 17th August 2018, 21:29   #1986
Senior - BHPian

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/17/h...ntl/index.html

Low carb and High carb diets risks early mortality. Having wholesome meals but having the right physical activity seems the best bet amidst all the complications of diets.

Last edited by srishiva : 17th August 2018 at 21:30.
Old 30th August 2018, 20:38   #1987
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Due to personal reasons I'd let myself loose(really really loose!) from mid April until now and gained 6 kg's resting at 108 kg's, would be soon going back on the OMAD diet to get under the 100 kg mark.
The Gluttony did not stop for me and being Onam didn't help one bit, so I started my fast on Monday weighing a little over 108kg's and by now after 72 hours have clocked a weight of under 104kg's.

Not attempting a dry fast, rather I consume water mostly in the form of club soda's roughly 4L's a day mixed with juice from 2 lemon's, 20ml of ACV and some Induppu/Pink Salt.

Rather than weight loss I'm gunning at this for mental clarity, aiming to hit the week marker i.e 168 hours, lets see how this goes.
Old 30th August 2018, 23:19   #1988
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Not attempting a dry fast, rather I consume water mostly in the form of club soda's roughly 4L's a day mixed with juice from 2 lemon's, 20ml of ACV and some Induppu/Pink Salt.
That is similar to the Master Cleanse Diet. I did it back in 2003. I just drank fresh lemon juice and green tea for 10 days. The loss of weight is very real and there is no loss of strength either. I lost about 10kgs in 10 days. I was working out everyday during this diet. However, the weight comes back once you start eating again. All that toxin removal claims are bogus.

I knew some people who took it to 15-20 days. But I couldn't wait to get back to eating again once 10 days were completed.

Last edited by Samurai : 30th August 2018 at 23:21.
Old 31st August 2018, 01:50   #1989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I lost about 10kgs in 10 days. I was working out everyday during this diet. However, the weight comes back once you start eating again. All that toxin removal claims are bogus.
+1 to this. Back in 2016, I was on a liquid diet due to a jaw surgery for nearly 4+ weeks. Lost nearly ~10-12 kilos even though I was drinking milkshakes and what not. But the moment I switched back to solid food, the weight jumped back to familiar levels, albeit gradually over the next 3+ months.
Old 31st August 2018, 07:56   #1990
Team-BHP Support

Like we have discussed in the past many pages, the operative word is a life style which can be adopted to; and regimen which can be followed day in day out.

Else things will fall apart and head back to the the starting point.
Old 31st August 2018, 09:19   #1991
BHPian

One school of thought promoted by Late Dr Shrikant Jichkar and which is now being propounded by Dr Jagannath Dixit, which is also gaining lot of traction these days, suggests to have only two meals a day - the two times when hunger is felt the most. And of course, the meals must be low on carbohydrates and enriched with proteins.

In layman's terms, the research of Dr Dixit states that -
  1. The more times one consumes food (of any type), the more glucose is infused in the body, causing more insulin secretion.
  2. Foods rich in carbohydrates are responsible for more insulin secretion.
  3. Similarly, foods having low carbohydrates and high protein cause less insulin secretion.
  4. Eating (anything that you like in any quantity) only twice a day, strikes a balance between the infusion of glucose and secretion of insulin required to digest it.
  5. The two meal plan, if followed rigorously, can make you feel more energetic throughout the day, shall reduce your weight and shall prohibit that Diabetes from overtaking you.

*Marathi speaking BHPians can search "Dr Jagannath Dixit" on YouTube and watch the videos to know more. The others can buy the book titled "Effortless Weight Loss" by Dr Jagannath Dixit, from Amazon.
Old 31st August 2018, 09:45   #1992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
In layman's terms, the research of Dr Dixit states that -
That's nothing but Intermittent fasting + LCHF lifestyle which many of us on this thread follow.
Old 31st August 2018, 12:17   #1993
BANNED

Quote:
That is similar to the Master Cleanse Diet. I did it back in 2003. I just drank fresh lemon juice and green tea for 10 days. The loss of weight is very real and there is no loss of strength either. I lost about 10kgs in 10 days. I was working out everyday during this diet. However, the weight comes back once you start eating again. All that toxin removal claims are bogus.
I do not work out, at least not in the strict sense.

For detoxification takes longer from what my Google research tells me, roughly around 6 ~ 7 weeks or longer depending on the lifestyle.

As for weight gain, I was on a 23:1 OMAD schedule for over 2~3 moths and I lost 32 kg's after which I gained 6 kg's in 4 months, but that was purely due to me going back to gluttony as I was mostly on fast foods and chomping down at least a full grilled chicken a week with mayonnaise and the works! Coming to think of it I have a eating disorder or really compromised will power.

This time after completing 7 days I'm thinking of going for a complete blood test, to know my stats, once done and I find everything in check I might consider adding a few more days to the fast, I'm really curious to find out whether the detox thing is a hoax or not.

Quote:
I knew some people who took it to 15-20 days. But I couldn't wait to get back to eating again once 10 days were completed.
Speaking about thinking of eating I had fantasized about breaking fast by riding to Kochi which is over 200 km's from my current residence to have a BadaBaap v2.0 Burger from BurgerSpot which is like the sexiest burger on the planet;

The Weight Loss Thread-52e0c06cfab74a4fa5190a90ee207c47_1438409350.jpg

But surprisingly from today morning I have lost all interest in it, along any such cravings for such foods usually in my craving zone along with the feeling of hunger altogether which is strange for a person like me, there has also been a change in urine color from clear to yellow with water consumption remaining the same, have ordered urine ketone strips from Amazon, will post further updates when I get them.
Old 31st August 2018, 14:34   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's nothing but Intermittent fasting + LCHF lifestyle which many of us on this thread follow.
Would be grateful if you could share some practical suggestions on the food we could make, especially south indian. Started back on LCHF two days ago, but already finding it difficult to eat chicken and egg every other time. Would like to stick to 90% LCHF.
Old 31st August 2018, 16:02   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
+1 to this. Back in 2016, I was on a liquid diet due to a jaw surgery for nearly 4+ weeks. Lost nearly ~10-12 kilos even though I was drinking milkshakes and what not. But the moment I switched back to solid food, the weight jumped back to familiar levels, albeit gradually over the next 3+ months.
I can totally relate to this. I had a similar experience in 2012. I met with an accident and lost 3 teeth and some 9 stitches on my lower jaw. I had to be on a liquid diet for almost a month and lost around 10kg during the period. Weight gain after I resumed eating normal food was as quick as I lost weight.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks