Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 12:48   #2056
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Poha is ok to take occasionally for breakfast or early dinner? Without those fried sews or bikaji and with lots of vegetables in it and salad? For taste I use coriander chutney with green chillies.
Old 20th November 2018, 13:18   #2057
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Quote:
Following is my understanding after reading the book
Can you please post the reference to the book again as I tried looking it around post 100 but could not find it?
I added the book link to that line.
Old 21st November 2018, 16:15   #2058
BHPian

I'm practicing IF for about 2 weeks now and got some questions.

1. Can I change the IF window frequently? I'm currently fasting from 4-5 PM till the next morning 8-9 AM. Is it mandatory that I should follow this window only or can I change the timing to a different 16 hrs window if needed? In other words can I follow 16 hrs fasting on a daily basis irrespective of the timing?
2. How often can I break the fasting days - like once in 2 weeks, etc. without doing much damage to the overall fasting?

Thanks.
Old 28th November 2018, 06:56   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I have never really followed a KETO diet, and certainly not Intermittent Fasting to trigger Ketosis. My philosophy has been different on my journey so far, and it has succeeded in meeting my expectations and goals.

Seeing so many advocates of KETO and IF though, my interest was piqued and I tried studying the subject in detail. However, while I am able to find loads of short-term studies and even a few medium term studies, I have NOT BEEN able to find any LONG TERM studies with a good variation in subjects and control groups.

Please can someone share or pm me links and references for such long term studies for the same, including negative ones?

Not any studies as such. But this article says he looked into results of a large trial. Not sure what that means and not sure where the results are as well.

https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/...g-cardiologist
Old 28th November 2018, 07:04   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Poha is ok to take occasionally for breakfast or early dinner? Without those fried sews or bikaji and with lots of vegetables in it and salad? For taste I use coriander chutney with green chillies.
Poha is made from rice and is mostly carbohydrate. If you are into strength training and muscle building then you should avoid it. Consider something proteinaceous.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:42   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Poha is made from rice and is mostly carbohydrate. If you are into strength training and muscle building then you should avoid it. Consider something proteinaceous.
Is it that simple ? You still need fuel for your body and if you dont use carbs or fat for energy (in addition to the nutrients you get from these and fibre), protein will be used as fuel. It might not be used for tissue development.
Ideally carbs should come from fruits and vegetables supplemented with protein. Source of protein is also important since you dont eat pure protein. So you should also count calories if building muscle
Old 28th November 2018, 08:54   #2062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Is it that simple ? You still need fuel for your body and if you dont use carbs or fat for energy (in addition to the nutrients you get from these and fibre), protein will be used as fuel. It might not be used for tissue development.
Ideally carbs should come from fruits and vegetables supplemented with protein. Source of protein is also important since you dont eat pure protein. So you should also count calories if building muscle
Carbohydrates = Instant Energy
Fats = Stored Reserve (metabolised slowly too)

For a healthy lifestyle, general rule is to lower carb intake, increase healthy fats, proteins and fibre intake. Poha is instant carb, but with veggies, it does prove to be a decent snack!

Another tip, for those who can't take enough fibre in their diet, should use 1 spoon of Psyllium husk (Isabgol) with a glass of water before at least one meal per day. It's a great source of fibre, reduces bloating, increases metabolism and enhances bowel movement.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 28th November 2018 at 09:07.
Old 28th November 2018, 20:09   #2063
BHPian

Quick question guys: Today for lunch I had about 100 gms of grilled chicken along with a salad containing cabbage, carrot, onion, tomato, chickpeas, beetroot, black channa along with sauce and mayonnaise. The sauce was added before I noticed else would've avoided.

Now would like to know if this salad is ok for LCHF diet. I generally don't eat salads (don't eat veg in general ) but this one was so tasty I'm thinking of having it daily while at office. Is this a good one minus the sauce?
Old 30th November 2018, 14:37   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
I'm practicing IF for about 2 weeks now and got some questions.
Thanks.
Answering from my limited experience and not much research:

1. Can I change the IF window frequently? I'm currently fasting from 4-5 PM till the next morning 8-9 AM. Is it mandatory that I should follow this window only or can I change the timing to a different 16 hrs window if needed? In other words can I follow 16 hrs fasting on a daily basis irrespective of the timing?

Yes you can follow any window, however it would be better to avoid fasting beyond 18-20 hours. Additionally as members here have mentioned, listen to your body. Follow a window which doesn't make you lethargic or irritable.
I do remember a research which mentioned that early dinner based IF works best for weight loss.

2. How often can I break the fasting days - like once in 2 weeks, etc. without doing much damage to the overall fasting?

Quality of what you eat should be a bigger concern. And by damage to fasting if you mean from a weight loss perspective, you can monitor and make adjustments. In my case for instance, I am either losing or retaining my lost weight even after breaking fast once or twice a week.
Old 30th November 2018, 17:47   #2065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
However, while I am able to find loads of short-term studies and even a few medium term studies, I have NOT BEEN able to find any LONG TERM studies with a good variation in subjects and control groups.

Long term studies/trials are usually funded by the pharma corporations with deep pockets to promote new drugs/procedures. Controlled long term studies on Ketosis is difficult and of course expensive affair too. Pharma companies have no less interest in this subject as there are no drugs involved to make money. No drug=No perception= No Money.

Stephen D. Phinney & Jeff Volek are couple of leading scientist researching this topic for past 30 years. A good read “The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living” by Dr. Phinney. Phinney et al. has written a number of papers on Ketosis and its associate effects on various body parameter https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stephen_Phinney2.

There are a ton of videos on Youtube a sample link
Old 30th November 2018, 21:19   #2066

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Quick question guys: Today for lunch I had about 100 gms of grilled chicken along with a salad containing cabbage, carrot, onion, tomato, chickpeas, beetroot, black channa along with sauce and mayonnaise. The sauce was added before I noticed else would've avoided.

Now would like to know if this salad is ok for LCHF diet. I generally don't eat salads (don't eat veg in general ) but this one was so tasty I'm thinking of having it daily while at office. Is this a good one minus the sauce?

Salads are definitely good in LCHF. They can provide micro-nutrients and a good dosage of healthy fiber.

Depending on the version that you follow, pulses and legumes may be in the Avoid list. I have been practicing LCHF for 15 months now and regularly have a salad of beetroot, carrot, cucumber, tomato topped with lemon squeeze.
Old 5th December 2018, 17:44   #2067
BHPian

Few weeks back we had some random people walking the corridors our apartment complex knocking on doors at random to sell "Body Composition Analysis." Bunch of parameters including something that relates with amount of fat vs muscle in the body.

After a bit of haggling they came down from 500/- to 300/- for a measurement. Seemed like a slightly elaborate weighing scale giving out variety of readouts. I am not sure how authentic it could be, but it was certainly educational for more.

Any doctors on the forum could throw some light on it.
Old 5th December 2018, 19:01   #2068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post

Any doctors on the forum could throw some light on it.
I am not a doctor, but an engineer

These body composition scales work by sending a small current through the body and measure the body's conductivity by measuring the return current (this is a very simple explanation). And from this conductivity, determine the body composition. This can never be accurate as the measurement depends on various factors like the moisture levels of your skin in the feet, conductivity vs. fat content being different for each individual etc. So, the absolute value that you get from these machines is almost meaningless. To get an accurate fat content measurement, the best method is the skin fold method where you measure the thickness of the skin fold at various places in the body and then determine the fat content based on this.

However, these body composition machines can be used to compare your own data over a period of time and determine how your fat % is varying over time.
Old 5th December 2018, 19:21   #2069
BHPian

I cannot beat graaja's explanation....its spot on, as is the fallacy of the testing and the need for monitoring rather than a one time reading making much sense.

The domestic medical gadget industry is a really booming industry and companies push devices with aggressive and emotion-based marketing.

A good weighing scale , used regularly , is perhaps of greater value....
Old 5th December 2018, 19:34   #2070
Senior - BHPian

"Body Composition Analysis" is done free at most gyms, usually to entice folks to join.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks