Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2018, 08:55   #1966
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I am just sharing my experience which is working for me for over last 2 years. I have followed couple of simple strategies to put my weight and lipid levels under control. I have combined intermittent fasting and part of LCHF as my way of life.
Would definitely agree and say thats way to go. We cannot go full keto thanks to our own constraints and commitments.

Quote:
I have learned to avoid all kind of snacking between meals the only exceptions are black coffee or green tea without sugar of course. Constant snacking culture between meals kick up the insulin levels which impedes fat burning, BTW this is the major cause of diabetes in our country which no one points out.
Again no doubt on that! We snack for our tongue and not for the stomach! And in that process never provide any rest/holiday to our digestive system. Poor thing takes a whole lot of stress constantly!

Quote:
Since I eat twice a day I ensure that the meals have generous amount of high quality fats sources (ghee, butter, coconut oil and virgin Olive oils, nuts etc). High fats is the key which keeps me going all day long without any problem..!
As long as carbs are under control and you have a good fasting window designed for your schedule, it works fine. Every one needs to customize his/her plan according to his timings.

Also if you throw in a small work out (like a walk or a mild jog) bang in the middle of your fasting schedule, even better!
Old 7th August 2018, 19:50   #1967
BHPian

The Weight Loss Thread

just a question - is the South Indian 'Vada' ok in LCHF diet? if so, what are the similar foods one can have ? parippu vada /chana dal vada too?
Old 7th August 2018, 20:04   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevinfrancis View Post
just a question - is the South Indian 'Vada' ok in LCHF diet? if so, what are the similar foods one can have ? parippu vada /chana dal vada too?
It's not exactly 100% keto. Urad daal which is used for vada has a net carbs content of 32grams every 100 grams.
Old 9th August 2018, 22:05   #1969

Quote:
To give a more generic, and heatbreaking response, very few South Indian dishes would be ok in LCHF. However, you can make panneer versions of many of them. I could not search if the reference to this facebook group was given earlier. If not here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/871566446317552/ Here is our typical dinner menu, all made from panneer - Dosa, Idly, Uthappam, Paniyaram, Adai, Cutlet - of course on different days!
Old 10th August 2018, 11:41   #1970
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys so I am a bit stuck with my weight loss plan. I have been hovering around 80-81 kgs for past one month.

I am not following complete Keto. More like a reduced Carb diet. Only carbs is through one or two chapathis I eat in a day. And one cup of tea in a day with sugar.

In addition I have stated excercising as well one hour a day which includes running on treadmill, light warm-ups and then weight training as well.

I have been getting conflicting reports about weight loss through excercising. Some say, cardio is best, some say weight training helps as building muscle will result in a higher base metabolic rate helping you to burn more calories through out the day.

A bit confused. What should I follow?
Old 10th August 2018, 12:29   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

In addition I have stated excercising as well one hour a day which includes running on treadmill, light warm-ups and then weight training as well.

I have been getting conflicting reports about weight loss through excercising. Some say, cardio is best, some say weight training helps as building muscle will result in a higher base metabolic rate helping you to burn more calories through out the day.

A bit confused. What should I follow?
You should do both. Cardio and strength. Cardio in aerobic zone will consume the fat and the strength training thru plyometric or body weight or less weight/ more reps will ensure you don't bulk up. These will keep lean muscles with high strength. Also ensure you have 1g/Kg weight of protein within 30-45 mins of workout for muscle repair.
Old 10th August 2018, 13:28   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quick Update on my journey over past 5-6 months -

- Reduced cycling - not more than 1-2 rides a week and that too 30-35 kms. max.
- Increased strength training, particularly compound workouts
- Started sprinting (simple 6*100 m sprints) since last 1 month
- Diet as usual and no alcohol

MI body scale reports same weight 79 kilos, but an upswing in muscle mass.
Old 10th August 2018, 13:57   #1973
Senior - BHPian

I stopped alcohol about 4.5 months. Only started training from last month. Prior to that was my running off season. When I quit alcohol I had put on weight and was hovering around 69 Kgs. The indulgence on vada pao and samosas haven't stopped but try to limit it to 3-4 /Week.

Today am around 65.5Kgs.

Next in line is quitting white sugar totally for ever. Have done that in phases earlier but this time it needs to be for a longish tenure.

Target for this year is 62Kgs. Lets see where I reach.

P.S: Am 165 Cms.

P.P.S: Am tired of loose trousers and changing wardrobes every now and then.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 10th August 2018 at 13:58.
Old 12th August 2018, 10:34   #1974
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Totally okay. At times, you have to pick the lesser of the evils. I used to have Medu Vada at South Indian restaurants during my drop from 94 -> 72 kilos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Next in line is quitting white sugar totally for ever.
This is one of the best things you could have done for yourself man! I am also totally off sugar. Sugar is just very, very bad for you. After cigarettes, I'd say it's the worst thing one can put into their body.

Look online for your sweet tooth. There are many places like this one giving you sugar-free chocolate goodies.
Old 15th August 2018, 13:25   #1975
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Healthy eating & weight loss don't mean you have to compromise on taste. Especially now that there are so many restaurants serving Keto / LCHF food. You just have to look a little harder. Search for Keto on Zomato + Google and you'll see a large number of options in the big cities.

Had gone to 'The Pantry' last night. Super delicious pizza made out of a cauliflower base! No bread. Yummy:
The Weight Loss Thread-20180814-21.40.33.jpg

Deserts without sugar. They are coming out with a 'keto-friendly cake' in 2 weeks:
The Weight Loss Thread-20180814-22.12.24.jpg

The Weight Loss Thread-20180814-22.12.38.jpg
Old 17th August 2018, 04:54   #1976
BANNED

Quote:
Next in line is quitting white sugar totally for ever.
Wish you good luck with this .

I did it a few years ago. Gradually reduced the sugar intake over a few months.
Old 17th August 2018, 10:59   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This is one of the best things you could have done for yourself man! I am also totally off sugar. Sugar is just very, very bad for you. After cigarettes, I'd say it's the worst thing one can put into their body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Wish you good luck with this .

I did it a few years ago. Gradually reduced the sugar intake over a few months.
Thanks guys!

Till about 2016, I was almost off white sugar. Then somehow I picked up eating sweets again ( can't stop myself from Bengali Sondesh ). But now I have decided to take the plunge again. However I don't think I can stop the maltodextrose in my supplements and sugar in my electrolytes that I use during exercise.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:42   #1978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
during my drop from 94 -> 72 kilos.

You are 5'10 if I remember and that is a huge weight loss man. I too am of almost the same height and was at 96 and now I am at a steady 82, wish to go to 78 or lower, but just not happening. Have managed to tear a ligament while playing badminton so I am trying to avoid everything which has carbs, but its very hard. Weight is stubborn as is the tummy fat.

Bad part I might have to undergo a reconstruction surgery for my knee if it doesn't recuperate itself.

Waiting for your simplified wight loss thread, hope you have time for it soon.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:49   #1979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You should do both. Cardio and strength. Cardio in aerobic zone will consume the fat and the strength training thru plyometric or body weight or less weight/ more reps will ensure you don't bulk up. These will keep lean muscles with high strength. Also ensure you have 1g/Kg weight of protein within 30-45 mins of workout for muscle repair.
Thanks. Have been doing that and a reinitiated stricter Keto too. My weight breached 80 and touched 79.8 for the first time in over 12 years yesterday.

Old 17th August 2018, 11:53   #1980
BHPian

I just went off sugar couple of weeks ago and man what a difference has it made! In just two weeks, I can see a visible difference. I had to fight withdrawal symptoms initially but things are been much better now.

By the way, I have made fruits regular part of the diet as opposed to occasional earlier. Since fruits like apple, melon, banana also have natural sugars, how does this impact the body? Are natural sugars in form of fruits fine or should they also be avoided?
P.S: While the near instant result is a great motivation, having to live with ill-fitting trousers makes me want to go back to previous self!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks