Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2018, 19:47   #1846
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Friends, I need some serious advice on how to cut down the belly flab. I am 46 years, 5' 9", 84 kgs. My work is sitting idle entire UK work hours Monday to Friday, 30 mts to 1 hour walk or running thrice a week (irregular lately due to winter), bit of weight training and stretching few times a week. Diet is everything non-veg and veg, bread or chapati as usual breakfast, half boiled rice and south indian curries for lunch, tea/coffee light snacks for evening, chapati and some veg or non veg curry for dinner.

I consume bit of wine once a month, once or twice a year some freshly brewed beer, I don't touch aerated soft drinks for more than 2 years.

Tried the Keto diet for a week, its tough for me with my kind of work as I feel sleepy whole day and no energy for walk or run ! I dont look for overall weight loss anyway, but have no idea how to concentrate on the belly singled out. Pointers highly appreciated.

Please don't suggest me magic drinks or bottled formulas that are seen on facebook and other food websites

Last edited by shajufx : 5th February 2018 at 19:49.
Old 5th February 2018, 19:54   #1847
Distinguished - BHPian

^^If you are indeed exercising for an hour a day three times a week as you say, you are already kn the right track. Focus on getting your diet right: keto is too extreme for most but practice LCHF where you can. Reduce carbs in your diet and you will immediately see the results.
Old 5th February 2018, 20:57   #1848
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Please don't suggest me magic drinks or bottled formulas that are seen on facebook and other food websites
First read this. Many members here have lost 10-20Kgs in few months, after understanding the concept.
Old 6th February 2018, 09:39   #1849
BHPian

A big thank you to all the gurus on this thread. I was inspired by all the tremendous stories of individuals losing upto 20 KGs in a few months and looking a decade younger in some cases. I started my journey into Keto and IF about 2 weeks ago. But first a little context.

I am 30 years old working a desk job in your regular software company setting. My office provides food and ever since I joined this company a year and a half ago, my waistline and weight had increased by a significant margin. Coupled with long and stressful work, I was not left with much time for exercise. Or so I thought. I have been inside a Gym twice in my life. Once to see and once to try it out. Not for me. I prefer sports and the outside after being cooped up in a cubicle all day.

Eventually, I needed a trigger to change my habits and move to a healthier way of life. This came about, as in most cases, with the photographs of my engagement ceremony. I had not realized how I had let myself go. I had a paunch! I looked rather round, to say the least. I weighed myself the next day and found I weighed 85 kgs. For my height of 5'5", I was bordering obesity. I needed a quick fix to lose a lot of weight and not make me miserable during the process.
I read up on keto (especially this thread and this (The Weight Loss Thread) post by @Samurai), talked to someone who had done it, and decided to do Keto and IF based on the success that BHPian @dhanushs has had.

I started over the Republic day weekend so that I could tide over the Keto flu if it hit me over the first few days. It didn't, but the cravings and hunger pangs!!! Damn!! They were something else that I hadn't accounted for. I went to bed the first couple of days dreaming of Biryani. I didn't weigh myself for the first few days because I knew it would be inconsequential if I didn't follow it through and I didn't want to be content with what I had lost.

The first three days I had 3 meals a day and found it difficult to keep under the 20-25 gms of carbs limit. Even though most of the carbs were from Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables, I didn't want to take a chance with the total and net carbs dilemma. After switching to IF (16-8), it became much easier to manage the calorific intake and include the right macros.

I also introduced exercise in the form of brisk walking (Can't run because of an old motorcycle injury) for about an hour daily or an hour of Badminton. I used to play Badminton earlier as well but my appetite had also increased and thus did not lose any weight during that period.

In just 4 days or so, the results started showing and my mother commented that I looked a little thinner than I was before. A few friends I met remarked that my face looked a little thinner than before. The belt buckle had found a fresh hole to go into on the positive side!!! I was ecstatic. I finally weighed myself after about 10 days and saw I had lost 6Kgs.

I feel fantastic now and I am able to concentrate for a longer period of time. The lethargy and drowsiness that I used to feel during the afternoons are gone! Evenings, which were typically for relaxing and characterized by lack of energy, are now replaced with activities which I enjoy. Listening to a podcast as I walk or a game of competitive sport charges my batteries up.

I plan to continue this lifestyle for the foreseeable future, at least till my wedding in April and aim to lose another 10 kgs by then.

A huge thank you to all the people on this thread and especially to @Samurai for his extremely useful and insightful posts. I am posting this to help people who are still on the fence to take the plunge and get started on improving their health.

Last edited by ampere : 6th February 2018 at 10:23. Reason: 2 Smilies per post please
Old 6th February 2018, 10:50   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

We humans in the current form have been around for 2.5 million years. But agriculture was invented only 10,000 years ago, and it took another 5000 years to spread to rest of the civilized world. Most tribal communities stuck with hunting and foraging until the 20th century. So what were humans eating in the first 99.6% of the time? Meat/Fish and wild berries/plants, whose carb content was less than 10%. They got meat and fat from hunting, and berries/plants from foraging. Our carb intake increased only with the invention of agriculture, that is in the last 0.4% of human history.

We survived as species at least 99.6% of the time eating meat and fat. Yet we blame these modern diseases on meat and fat. Real culprit is sugar, followed by starch and carbs.

Samurai

Thanks for the very informative post.
I have been trying to reduce my carb intake for a few months now and replace that with protein. And also walk/run or work out a bit regularly.

My dilemma is more on the protein source selection.

While I agree low carb high protein diet is great, but where are the healthy protein sources?

Chicken, Mutton - full of antibiotics, hormones, medicines beyond any limits,
Paneer, Milk - growth hormones given to cows unless one has own cow,
Fish - probably safer option, but eating in large quantities (to replace carbs) can leads to heavy metal issues.

Any suggestions on healthy protein sources?

cheers
lazy
Old 6th February 2018, 11:11   #1851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Samurai

Thanks for the very informative post.
I have been trying to reduce my carb intake for a few months now and replace that with protein. And also walk/run or work out a bit regularly.

My dilemma is more on the protein source selection.

While I agree low carb high protein diet is great, but where are the healthy protein sources?

Fish - probably safer option, but eating in large quantities (to replace carbs) can leads to heavy metal issues.

cheers
lazy
I have a suggestion but it is expensive. Whey protein (protein shake.) Many people think that only body builders can have those protein powders but if you stick to regular whey protein, there is no issue whatsoever. Just have a single scoop a day during any meal. Another idea is egg whites. Pour 3 egg whites into the bowl and nuke it in the microwave for 1 min. Can be had with bread (carbs ) for breakfast. Have done this for months when i used to work out and never had an issue.

Protein in good but only protein will leave you feeling hungry. You cannot have main meal with protein as a primary component unless you are having a steak every meal (would be counterproductive because of the animal fat you consume.) So load up on salads during every meal along with eggs or chicken.

And final final opinion. All these specific diet changes are a bomb to handle and you are better off just controlling the quantities, eating less outside food, regular home cooked food. Whoever is cooking can be instructed to use less oil.

Cheers.
Old 6th February 2018, 11:21   #1852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
I plan to continue this lifestyle for the foreseeable future, at least till my wedding in April and aim to lose another 10 kgs by then.
Great to hear it was so effective for you. The initial loss is very quick because of water loss. Fat molecules are surrounded by water molecules. When fat goes, all the surrounding water goes too. Weight loss won't be that dramatic after few weeks, and it will settle down at a point that is determined by your metabolism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post

Replacing rice/wheat based flour to dal based flour is one way. I often have green-gram dosas, urad dal based vadas, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
Another idea is egg whites. Pour 3 egg whites into the bowl and nuke it in the microwave for 1 min.
What is point of having just egg whites without the yoke?

Quote:
having a steak every meal (would be counterproductive because of the animal fat you consume.)
And the problem with animal fat is....?

Quote:
Whoever is cooking can be instructed to use less oil.
Use less oil because...? And what kind of oil?
Old 6th February 2018, 12:41   #1853
BHPian

Quote:

What is point of having just egg whites without the yoke?
Yoke has some protein but lot of cholesterol too. Best avoided. And definitely if you are having more than 2 eggs a day.
Quote:
And the problem with animal fat is....?
The fact that meat has more fat than veges. Hence more meat = more protein but also more fat, which beats the purpose.

Quote:
Use less oil because...? And what kind of oil?
Same thing. More oil is more fat. Use any oil but use less of it. Can be done using newer ceramic/nonstick utensils. Some dishes can be cooked without ANY oil.
Old 6th February 2018, 13:09   #1854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yoke has some protein but lot of cholesterol too. Best avoided. And definitely if you are having more than 2 eggs a day.
Yoke has dietary cholesterol, which is harmless. The cholesterol that causes heart disease is generated within your body. Looks like you are not familiar with recent findings.

Quote:
The fact that meat has more fat than veges. Hence more meat = more protein but also more fat, which beats the purpose.
Beats what purpose? LCHF means Low Carb High Fat. We achieve this weight loss by eating lots of fat. Not eating fat actually beats the purpose.

Quote:
Same thing. More oil is more fat. Use any oil but use less of it. Can be done using newer ceramic/nonstick utensils. Some dishes can be cooked without ANY oil.
Once again, your ideas are based on debunked concepts. Ideas about oil and fat has changed a lot in the last few years. Traditional fat/oil rich in Omega 3 is actually good for you.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2016/01/29/w...s-bad-for-you/
Old 6th February 2018, 13:20   #1855
Senior - BHPian

Only thing is to burn as much calories as possible. The new findings need more time to prove themselves ?
For me fat having more calories itself is a concern, not that it might get deposited in my bloodstream.
Old 6th February 2018, 13:45   #1856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Only thing is to burn as much calories as possible. The new findings need more time to prove themselves ?
A scientific finding is considered a finding, only after it has been proven. Until then it is called a hypothesis.

Calorie counting doesn't work because all calories are not the same. Ignoring calorie counting is at the very basis of why LCHF works.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:28   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yoke has dietary cholesterol, which is harmless. The cholesterol that causes heart disease is generated within your body. Looks like you are not familiar with recent findings.

Beats what purpose? LCHF means Low Carb High Fat. We achieve this weight loss by eating lots of fat. Not eating fat actually beats the purpose.

Once again, your ideas are based on debunked concepts. Ideas about oil and fat has changed a lot in the last few years. Traditional fat/oil rich in Omega 3 is actually good for you.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2016/01/29/w...s-bad-for-you/
I think I can back all of these points from my personal experience over the last 2.5 years.
Not only have I lost 22 kilos, but more importantly have been maintaining that weight for over 18 months now and I have steadily built more muscle and improved my physical strength. At 40 now, I can run, cycle, lift, swim better than what I could do when I was 30!
Over the last 28-30 months, I have been eating an average of 18 eggs a week, daily servings of chicken and fish, lots of nuts, milk, veggies & fruits and loads of Fat. The one and only thing that I restrain is my Carb intake and have been varying my exercising routines to keep jolting the body. I also keep a check on my LFT, KFT, Uric Acid levels and they have all been fine.
Old 6th February 2018, 14:57   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
I have a suggestion but it is expensive. Whey protein (protein shake.) Many people think that only body builders can have those protein powders but if you stick to regular whey protein, there is no issue whatsoever. Just have a single scoop a day during any meal. Another idea is egg whites. Pour 3 egg whites into the bowl and nuke it in the microwave for 1 min. Can be had with bread (carbs ) for breakfast. Have done this for months when i used to work out and never had an issue.

Protein in good but only protein will leave you feeling hungry. You cannot have main meal with protein as a primary component unless you are having a steak every meal (would be counterproductive because of the animal fat you consume.) So load up on salads during every meal along with eggs or chicken.

And final final opinion. All these specific diet changes are a bomb to handle and you are better off just controlling the quantities, eating less outside food, regular home cooked food. Whoever is cooking can be instructed to use less oil.

Cheers.

Thanks for your response.

I am sorry, for I missed mentioning in my previous post that I am actively trying to eliminate milk products from my intake (and my family incl. kid too).
So, that eliminates Whey protein as an option for me.

Eggs, I eat about 2 wholes usually for breakfast. Can't really eat anymore during lunch and dinner. And anyway, same reason as chicken, eggs will also be out of bounds sooner or later. The risks are greater than benefits.

For now, I am doing what you mentioned about portion size - eat less.
But without protein, I get hungry sooner, defeating the purpose.

By the way - eating eggs without the yolks, is neither useful, and nor is it morally correct with so much hunger around (unless you are not wasting the yolk).

Thanks for your suggestions

Quote:
Replacing rice/wheat based flour to dal based flour is one way. I often have green-gram dosas, urad dal based vadas, etc.
Yes, we have been experimenting. The fun part is, since fried food is no longer taboo, it is great experimenting with different pulse-flour pakoras and cheelas (not sure what is it called in English, probably dosa types).

cheers
lazy
Old 6th February 2018, 15:57   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Yoke has dietary cholesterol, which is harmless. The cholesterol that causes heart disease is generated within your body. Looks like you are not familiar withrecent findings.
I went through those articles but will still say, restrict yolk to max 2 a day. This comes is from my personal experience. Years back i tried having more eggs (boiled) but it caused uneasiness hours later. Moreover, i also saw more pimples.

Quote:
Low carb high fat means ketogenic. I wont post any links, but IIRC, such diets take up to a year to take effect and are quite difficult to maintain. Hence not worth going there unless it is an extreme case. High protein, controlled carb/sugar intake and most importantly, meal timings is good enough.
Quote:
Agreed. But cooking food in less oil is better than cooking in more oil. Would you agree? You get Omega 3 from fish, nuts, etc. why rely on cooking oils which contort under heat?

Cheers.
Old 6th February 2018, 16:30   #1860
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I went through those articles but will still say, restrict yolk to max 2 a day. This comes is from my personal experience.
I eat 3 eggs (fried in ghee) for breakfast since 18 months. But I am not going by only my experience. That would be anecdotal, and not scientific. I rely on the current scientific consensus on this matter.

Quote:
Low carb high fat means ketogenic. I wont post any links, but IIRC, such diets take up to a year to take effect and are quite difficult to maintain. Hence not worth going there unless it is an extreme case.
You will find dozens of first hand examples in this thread alone, who reached their goal in 3-6 months. In this page itself, one guy lost 6kgs in 10 days.

Quote:
Agreed. But cooking food in less oil is better than cooking in more oil. Would you agree? You get Omega 3 from fish, nuts, etc. why rely on cooking oils which contort under heat?
Oil does supply the fats I need. Also, I use Coconut oil and Ghee, which have high smoke point. Coconut oil is also part of the traditional diet for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks