Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2015, 16:43   #1306
BHPian

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

1000 calorie = 1 Calorie

The one with the uppercase C is the larger unit.
Old 14th April 2015, 08:05   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysakh View Post
1000 calorie = 1 Calorie

The one with the uppercase C is the larger unit.

Nope that isn't followed strictly. When in doubt say dietary calorie.
Old 14th April 2015, 10:31   #1308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
^^

rajushank84, congrats on your weight loss. great job!

I will make 2 comments -
1> 16 kilos in 4 months is pretty fast.. 2 kilos a month is a better/safer option
2> You talked a lot about tracking all details etc .. - think about the long term sustainability.

To me, weight loss is a change is lifestyle.
You need to become more active (some cardio), cut out some of the excess junk.
Focus on the process and not the goal.
You will reach your goal and become healthy.
Keep it simple!
Thanks! 16kilos over 4 months is not linear. Initially it will be a lot of loss and it will taper down. Initially lot of water loss. I am pretty sure it won't be another 16 kilos over the next 4 months (probably more like another 10 kilos if I am lucky)

Tracking is not so difficult! It becomes a habit once you get used to it. We are using our smartphones so much these days, checking Facebook and texting every hour. Doing this in addition to it is nothing, and at least its useful .

But yeah my plan is not to calorie-count for ever. I want to do it till I reach the desired shape. By then (hopefully) eating in the right quantities will come naturally to me. But long way to go before I get to that stage.

One small step first, one day at a time.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:32   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to share this super-inspirational story. I got goosebumps reading this. Respect! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en...evenge-pics/p1

Also, the same person has written a guide to fat loss: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en...ice-stomach/p1
Old 15th April 2015, 18:49   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Just wanted to share this super-inspirational story. I got goosebumps reading this. Respect! http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en...evenge-pics/p1

Also, the same person has written a guide to fat loss: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en...ice-stomach/p1
It was all nice till there was a mention about "I have competed in two bodybuilding competitions, placing second and first respectively, as well as two powerlifting competitions, one of which set a world record for deadlift for my weight class"

*BUZZZZ*
Very strong possibility of chemicals.
(Make that a certainty, the more I see those abs)

Let me dissect her points:
1. Slight calorie deficit: will not make much difference.Your body weight and fat levels do not keep dropping with constant calorific deficit. Your body adapt to the calorific deficit, and the only way farther is to reduce the calories even further and increase the physical activities significantly. Therefore it should be ever increasing calorific deficit.

2. Strength training: No issue with this point. Except that chemicals work better and faster. And that a normal un-assisted person will die doing strength training with caloric deficit while setting powerlifting records. Therefore it should be weight training. And be sensible while being on deficit.

3. Muscle insurance: Sorry, she should've just mentioned about chemicals here. This should be: if you are taking assistance, and if you don't take extra proteins, you won't see the benefit. If you take extra proteins, along with chemicals, you will see the moon and the stars.

4. Cardio: I don't completely agree that it wont make difference. If someone was a manual laborer, he will definitely burn more cals than someone like me who just lazes around near TV. But in general it is easier to eat 100 kcal less than to expend 100 kcal more. Therefore it should be: doing high duration cardio is hard, it is easier eating less. Take your pick - both will lead to same results.

Boss, you live in the US of A, and you still don't realize how much importance people give to looks and achievements that they will go any lengths. I am not trying to take any winds out of her sails, but a normal fatso girl expecting the same results is like a normal college guy in India expecting Hritick Roshan physique by doing what he tells.

Last edited by alpha1 : 15th April 2015 at 19:14.
Old 27th April 2015, 21:09   #1311
Senior - BHPian

I wish every school will have this! It will show how much sugar in every drink. Show and tell!
Attached Thumbnails
The Weight Loss Thread-11156121_10202687009695507_8067538654673327754_n.jpg  

vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2015, 12:30   #1312
BHPian

Hello,

Just came across this thread & thought will share my weight loss story.

I lost 55 kgs in a span of 18 months. Had to diet like hell! But, in hindsight, wouldn't recommend it at all to anyone. It created a lot of health problems, some so serious I was advised not to drive from 6 months due to the brain having a "system shutdown" for 15~20 minutes every few days.

But I've recently after a lot of health problem asked to eat proper now. I've again back approximately 15 kgs over the 55 loss. Try to get back down another 5~10 kgs, but slowly & steadily with eating right.

Regards,
Rohan
Old 28th April 2015, 12:32   #1313
BHPian

Scientists have cracked the science behind failure (or difficulty) of diets. A perfect diet control mechanism may be just a decade away.

http://time.com/3836378/why-diets-fail/
Old 28th April 2015, 16:31   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Scientists have cracked the science behind failure (or difficulty) of diets. A perfect diet control mechanism may be just a decade away.

http://time.com/3836378/why-diets-fail/
We've had a lot of drugs since quote some time now that kill appetite, effectively eliminating the cravings.
We also have have chemicals like *** which literally burn the fat away from the body (you will feel the rise in body temperature).

But the problem remains only one: discipline. If one doesn't have discipline one cannot ever achieve any goal.

On the other hand, regarding the AGRP neuron theory, I am not sure if my personal experience mirrors what is written on the article.
I remember when I was over eating 5 times a day just so that I press 1 kg more every week in my lifts - I was hungry ALL the time.

Today I eat only once mainly, I have broken the shackles of progressive lifting, and surprisingly I feel less hungry, and almost nil hunger pangs.

Last edited by alpha1 : 28th April 2015 at 16:33.
Old 28th April 2015, 16:55   #1315
BHPian

HI Alpha, you must be talking about Fat burners that are available over the counter. The latest rave is Lipo 6 black ultra concentrate. But word of advice is not to go for these, other than raising the body temperature you can feel, there are so many side effects like irritation, concentration loss, migraine etc, and system shutdown as @rohan has stated. Frankly I would suggest not to go for these kinds of chemicals. It is always better to eat healthy, do regular exercise ( both aerobic and anaerobic), and naturally reduce.
But yes I personally do take protein supplements ( whey protein shake) after weight training, and it is effective. Reduced 10 kgs in 6 months, and getting back to proper shape, mainly thru diet and exercise and NO chemicals.
Old 28th April 2015, 17:57   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
HI Alpha, you must be talking about Fat burners that are available over the counter. The latest rave is Lipo 6 black ultra concentrate. But word of advice is not to go for these, other than raising the body temperature you can feel, there are so many side effects like irritation, concentration loss, migraine etc, and system shutdown as @rohan has stated. Frankly I would suggest not to go for these kinds of chemicals. It is always better to eat healthy, do regular exercise ( both aerobic and anaerobic), and naturally reduce.
But yes I personally do take protein supplements ( whey protein shake) after weight training, and it is effective. Reduced 10 kgs in 6 months, and getting back to proper shape, mainly thru diet and exercise and NO chemicals.
I would place protein supplements much much lower than chemicals!
At least the chemicals generate tangible, measurable and reproducible results. Protein supplements only generate poverty as a measurable and reproducible result.

Of course I was not really recommending taking any drugs to reach the goal. The post was in response to the scientist's finding miracle cure for hunger.
Old 29th April 2015, 07:43   #1317
BHPian

And how is that? Whey protein and isolates are placed below chemicals?

Last edited by me_sid : 29th April 2015 at 07:44.
Old 29th April 2015, 09:43   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Hello,

Just came across this thread & thought will share my weight loss story.

I lost 55 kgs in a span of 18 months. Had to diet like hell! But, in hindsight, wouldn't recommend it at all to anyone. It created a lot of health problems, some so serious I was advised not to drive from 6 months due to the brain having a "system shutdown" for 15~20 minutes every few days.

But I've recently after a lot of health problem asked to eat proper now. I've again back approximately 15 kgs over the 55 loss. Try to get back down another 5~10 kgs, but slowly & steadily with eating right.

Regards,
Rohan
, did you do any exercise apart from dieting? That stat sounds more like starving than dieting to me. Anyways, happy to hear that you are back to healthy food habits now.
Old 29th April 2015, 10:34   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishyvish View Post
If you need to lose weight, make an agreement with your mind and ensure you follow it to the core. If you look at balancing carbs, proteins, vitamins, you could go bonkers.

I had to lose weight some years back and this is what I did..

A glass of water or more on waking up.

Early morning brisk walk for an hour, followed by light exercise.

Breakfast consisted of cereals with milk, or idli at times (considered most nutritious)

Boiled vegetables, salad or anything seemed for lunch.

Mid morning and afternoon snack would consist of either fruits or khakras.

Dinner used to be soup with salad an maybe a bowl of rice.

I used to carry 3 litres of water everyday and ensure its consumed by evening. An empty stomach could lead to acidity, hence small sips of water helped.

The walk, exercise and controlled diet helped me reduce 10 kilos in two months.

What's important, is not to starve yourself and ensure your walk and exercise daily.

Warning: Would achieve the result, however difficult to maintain in our present lifestyle.

Disclaimer: This is the regimen I followed and helped me, and in no way constitutes as a guarantee towards weight loss.
I have started he same diet with a little change.
I am eating a regular breakfast, lunch is ragi ball and dinner is soup and salad. Mid meal snacks are juice or nutrichoice biscuits. Hope I will lose weight
Old 29th April 2015, 10:58   #1320
BHPian

You will. Just keep focused. Had followed the same regimen year before last and it helped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks