Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2013, 22:30   #916
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Weight Loss Thread

Great that you are keeping it up.

The gel seat however is a bad idea. Discard it.

It tends to pinch your nerves and blood vessels instead of getting your weight on your sit bones.
The bones will be sore for the first few days but in the long run that is what should be holding your weight.

If you are really uncomfortable on a long ride, you can consider cycling shorts. The gel seat is bad for the man parts.
Old 13th November 2013, 08:33   #917
Team-BHP Support

Can 1 hour of brisk walk and good eating habit help in shedding weight? How many kilos can one expect to lose in a month?
Old 13th November 2013, 08:47   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Can 1 hour of brisk walk and good eating habit help in shedding weight? How many kilos can one expect to lose in a month?
Ask me boy, I lost 20kgs in about 5months by just brisk walking/running.I was not really following a strict diet regime,but I had cut down on junk and all kind of fatty food,and how do you define brisk?,how many Kms do you think you can cover in 60 mins?
Old 13th November 2013, 20:55   #919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Ask me boy, I lost 20kgs in about 5months by just brisk walking/running.I was not really following a strict diet regime,but I had cut down on junk and all kind of fatty food
That is heartening to know. And 20kgs? I would be happy if I lose 10.

Quote:
and how do you define brisk?,how many Kms do you think you can cover in 60 mins?
Brisk - As fast I can walk with varying my speed a bit for some 60 mins.

I haven't measured the kilometers, but it should be somewhere around 4+
Old 13th November 2013, 21:51   #920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That is heartening to know. And 20kgs? I would be happy if I lose 10.
Brisk - As fast I can walk with varying my speed a bit for some 60 mins.
I think brisk speed should be about 6/6.5 km an hour and not 4. Walking is one thing which I dont leave even for a day (well almost). Been walking at least 5-7 km every day for about 15+ years down. If may or maynot does bring down the weight, but, at least it maintains it. I think the only way to get it down, is to streamline food habits. Most important fact is what ever you do, you need to have it in your daily schedule of things. Else it won't work out. Same goes for food habits too.
Old 13th November 2013, 22:29   #921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I think brisk speed should be about 6/6.5 km an hour and not 4.
4 km covered in an hour if done 5 or 6 times a week is ample. There really is no point aiming for an unrealistic target and then giving up. ANY exercise is better than no exercise
Quote:
Walking is one thing which I dont leave even for a day (well almost). Been walking at least 5-7 km every day for about 15+ years down. If may or maynot does bring down the weight, but, at least it maintains it. I think the only way to get it down, is to streamline food habits. Most important fact is what ever you do, you need to have it in your daily schedule of things. Else it won't work out. Same goes for food habits too.
I envy you, Amp! That is quite an achievement. And you answered your own question. As your body gets habituated to exercise you need more of it or at least the same amount at higher intensity to reduce weight. And as you grow older your metabolism slows down so you do need to eat less and eat healthier. Junk food, alcohol, simple carbohydrates...all get digested a lot faster in your 20s than your 40s!
Old 14th November 2013, 00:43   #922
BHPian

Day 3: slipped a bit. Rode to work and boy were my man parts sore. At some point I just stood up and rode as there was a burning sensation down there.

No junk, well almost no junk (diwali is the worst season to be on a diet). Got a box of chocolate and ate 4 of 12 pieces before I just gave the box away.

In the evening, I left the bike at the office and walked for about 3 km and then took a taxi home.
Plan to drive to work tomorrow and bundle the bike into the xuv. Ordered a pair of Btwin gel shorts. Let's see how they help.

Any idea for relieving the soreness? Balm seems like a bad idea.

Also: discovered that Friday is a holiday so thinking about a long ride (maybe Bandra to Nariman Point and back), depending on the soreness down there.

Now, I need to find a way to get more sleep. Running at about 6 hours at the moment. Read an article that claimed that lack of sleep causes weight gain.
Old 14th November 2013, 11:25   #923
BHPian

Quote:
The focus should be on loosing fat instead of "weight" because muscles and water also add weight to the body . Just be aware that in this process of only brisk walking you will be loosing muscles as well .

Best approach is -

1. Create a calorie deficit , a deficit of 3500 calories will help you in loosing 1 pound of fat . So lets say you create a deficit of 500 calories per day so in 7 days you should be loosing 1 pound.

You can calculate calorie requirement for your body here

http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Ca...Calculator.asp

2. Do weight training at least 3 times a week. This will ensure that you don't loose those precious muscles in the whole process .

3. Eat 1 gram of protein per kg of your body weight . If you weigh 80 Kgs then you should target to eat 80 grams of protein everyday.

No matter what body type you belong to success is GUARANTEED if you follow this approach

Regards

Last edited by prashant.dinkar : 14th November 2013 at 11:32.
Old 14th November 2013, 11:26   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
2. Do weight training at least 3 times a day
Did you mean 3 times a week? 3 times a day seems slightly excessive

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 14th November 2013, 11:31   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Did you mean 3 times a week? 3 times a day seems slightly excessive

Cheers,
Vikram
My bad yes 3 times a week is what I meant
Old 15th November 2013, 07:11   #926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
The focus should be on loosing fat instead of "weight" because muscles and water also add weight to the body . Just be aware that in this process of only brisk walking you will be loosing muscles as well .
Thanks for this post

I am walking and trying to lose weight, because -

1. I get breathless when walking up the stairs.

2. After any moderate physical exercise, I pant a bit.

3. I wish to build stamina

And lastly,

4. I love my Motorcycle and riding long distances on it aches my thigh muscles as well as the entire body. That day of riding & the day preceding it isn't good & I have to get an oil massage to get rid of pain.

Now, which approach would be the best? Stamina, leaner, but fitter body. I am not into muscles
Old 15th November 2013, 08:51   #927
Team-BHP Support

Do what I do.
Cycle to work.

My reasons were pretty much the same.
Old 15th November 2013, 08:54   #928
Team-BHP Support

I cannot cycle to work. Any other way?
Old 15th November 2013, 09:44   #929
BHPian

Quote:
I cannot cycle to work. Any other way?
That's what I said for three years until I began doing it on Monday.

But if you want to make a beginning, I guess you could start by walking for thirty minutes everyday. And then gradually build it up.

My only issue with gym trainers is that they make you go crazy on day one and day two and net result is an injury or such fatigue that you stop on day three. The key (and I am nowhere near being fit at my present weight) is to go slowly.

Friday weight now 128 from 131.5 on Sunday. Gotta make sure that I don't mess it up this weekend.
Old 15th November 2013, 10:09   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

My only issue with gym trainers is that they make you go crazy on day one and day two and net result is an injury or such fatigue that you stop on day three. The key (and I am nowhere near being fit at my present weight) is to go slowly.
My friend (and fitness idol) has a simple rule of thumb: if your trainer doesn't respect your body and its limitations, find another. Remember, nobody understands your body better than yourself. Lower intensity exercise that is sustainable over longer duration is much preferable to something crazy that can and will cause injury. You are on the right track.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks