Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 14:02   #1
BHPian

PCC - Police Clearance Certificate

hello team-bhpians,

has anybody ever tried to get a PCC.

i know we need to fill a form-2 or something.

but what's the process like?

how much time does it take?

are there any "Not to Do's" during the whole process?

and how much do we need to pay under the table? (sadly)

thanks.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 20th November 2009 at 14:06.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I got a PCC done for my Philippines visa in 2004. IIRC, the process was pretty simple, straight forward and I didnt pay a single bribe Re.

Just visited the Passport Office, obtained an application form and filled it as per specifications. I think the fees that time in New Delhi was Rs 300. Deposited the passport along with it.

I got my passport back with the PCC stamp the next day.

The only glitch - you have to reach early in order to secure your place in the queue for obtaining the application form. And be sure to carry all relevant documents. Form filling would be a breeze then and you get to stand in the first few spots of the queue to submit your application.
Old 20th November 2009, 15:10   #3
BHPian

ok.

but i read somewhere that you have to go to the police station in your area and submit the form there.

you got your passport the next day?

i thought when you submit the form some policeman will visit your place and confirm you identity, and it will take a month. it is not the case?

and did you get any certificate?
Old 20th November 2009, 18:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
ok.

but i read somewhere that you have to go to the police station in your area and submit the form there.
This is a very common misconception. A police clearance certificate is issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, which means that if the applicant is present in India then he / she has to apply for a PCC at the local Passport office. If an Indian national is overseas and requires a PCC, he/ she has to apply to the nearest Indian Embassy / Consulate.
Old 20th November 2009, 19:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I applied for a PCC for my UK visa.. it was a day's process at the RPO. Nothing much!
Old 28th December 2009, 15:51   #6
BHPian

Listing out some useful web-sites here:-

Downloaded forms - Passport Applications in all Passport offices, District Passport Centers and Speed Post Centers.

Check list
Old 29th December 2009, 15:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

I went for my PCC in Chennai today - very bad timing. Due to the extended holidays (25th to 28th) and the fact that there was some computer problems on 24th, the crowd was the worst in recent times. And I went in a little late - the queues were terrible and when I neared the counter they said all further applicants would have their passports despatched in 2-3 days. Unfortunately I will not be at home for the next few days to receive it
Decided to go back tomorrow as the process is simple and it was sheer bad luck that I went on a bad day!
You will need to apply for a PCC in the RPO where you got your passport.
Fill form 2, affix photo and sign in necessary places.
Carry a xerox of your passport.
If you already have had a police verification at the present address when you got your passport pay the 300 Rs, get the receipt and collect your passport in the evening of the same day.
If the computer does not show a police verification then you will have to submit the passport, A form called Personal particulars form and wait for the police to verify you at your address.
If you have resided at multiple addresses it's a little more complicated.
I hope the queues are not as mad as they were today!
Old 30th December 2009, 18:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Lot of queue today, but got the PCC without a problem today.
Hurrying off now to catch a bus.
Old 30th December 2009, 18:26   #9
BHPian

guys, Can you share more gyan on PCC.. when , what and why its needed.
Old 16th January 2010, 17:29   #10
BHPian

@yatinchoubal:
I've had gotten one. AFAIK, it's usually asked for during immigration purposes (but not limited to). I applied for one when I was in the USA. I went to the consulate (in fact one of its camps) and applied for. Hope that answers.
Old 19th January 2010, 16:17   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
@yatinchoubal:
I've had gotten one. AFAIK, it's usually asked for during immigration purposes (but not limited to). I applied for one when I was in the USA. I went to the consulate (in fact one of its camps) and applied for. Hope that answers.
Ah ok, b'coz I didnt require one when I in USA. So was wondering what exactly it was. ?
Old 19th January 2010, 18:45   #12
BHPian

Maybe it matters what were you in the USA as - immigrant or non-immigrant?
Old 11th May 2010, 14:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

What exactly is a PCC? Is it a separate piece of paper issued by the RPO? Or is it just a stamp on your passport?
If i were to get a PCC, i'll need to go to the passport office that issued my passport?
Old 11th May 2010, 14:53   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
What exactly is a PCC? Is it a separate piece of paper issued by the RPO? Or is it just a stamp on your passport?
If i were to get a PCC, i'll need to go to the passport office that issued my passport?

amit

A PCC is more of an NOC from the police department stating that there is no cases or complaints against your name and you are free to travel abroad.

The verification is done by your local PS.
The PCC is provided in a seperate sheet and will not be stamped in your passport and is usually valid for a period of 6 months or 1 year.

Procedure in Bangalore
In Bangalore you will have to fill a form (has to be taken from the xerox shop opposite to the bank) at the State Bank of Mysore opposite bowring hospital, guess pay Rs.200 and take the challan and head to the commissioner of police office and fill another form (be clear that it is for PCC, the person sitting at the counter will confuse you between PCC and police verification and both are different) there.
Submit your form and after a verification by the local PS in some days time you will have to collect the PCC from the commissioners office on the mentioned date.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:02   #15
BANNED

And this is required when applying for a visa only or for every travel abroad?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks