Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2013, 11:17   #316
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Some opinions here compelled me to put forth something I've noticed first-hand since the past 4 -5 years of my career. Some bubbles just NEED to be broken.

VERY MANY of these schools aren't half as worthy as claimed to be while boasting of their alumni and having 'Glorious' histories. ALOT of it is just the management’s bloated ego. I happen to be in the Garment sector, and have done business with some of these "Reputed" institutions.

It'd scare you to deal with the peasant-like mindsets of the very principals of some such schools. Not only do they show no regard for the effort of labour or the risks of the entrepreneur, they often don't even care for laws or safety standards.

So, whichever 'Reputed' school you send your kid to, don't believe in hearsay, SPEAK to the principal. It’s the principal’s attitude that eventually gives shape to the schools atmosphere - how the management works, how the students behave.

P.S.: All you're looking for is a happy kid who studies abit, plays scarily hell alot and still manages a decent score at school.
Old 27th September 2013, 12:46   #317
BHPian

Does anyone have feedback on the following schools in/around Malleswaram?
  • Brigade school at Gateway in Rajajinagar. I've heard some good things from friends, but is it really worth the exorbitant fees?
  • Air Force school at Hebbal. They have some seats for civilians & it is rated among the top schools, but I have no first hand feedback. Being from non armed forces, dont know if it will be a good fit though
  • Kendriya Vidyalaya at IISC & Malleswaram. My peers who studied there rated it well but that is very much dated now.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:33   #318
Senior - BHPian

I am considering Euro School Whitefield for my daughter next year (LKG). Any feedback on the same will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:37   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
Does anyone have feedback on the following schools in/around Malleswaram?
  • Brigade school at Gateway in Rajajinagar. I've heard some good things from friends, but is it really worth the exorbitant fees?
  • Air Force school at Hebbal. They have some seats for civilians & it is rated among the top schools, but I have no first hand feedback. Being from non armed forces, dont know if it will be a good fit though
  • Kendriya Vidyalaya at IISC & Malleswaram. My peers who studied there rated it well but that is very much dated now.
KV at IISC is marvellous. I have friends who studied there. I always wanted to study there but couldnt get an admission. What does very much dated mean?
If you have a girl child you could consider Cluny Convent and Stella Maris too.
Old 27th September 2013, 16:42   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
KV at IISC is marvellous. I have friends who studied there. I always wanted to study there but couldnt get an admission. What does very much dated mean?
If you have a girl child you could consider Cluny Convent and Stella Maris too.
By dated I meant very old information from decades ago! Those days many KVs were very good. Do you have recent info on how good KV at IISC is?
Cluny is close by but they're too strict on the 4 yr age limit for LKG from what I've heard.
Old 27th September 2013, 17:04   #321
BHPian

Quote:
By dated I meant very old information from decades ago! Those days many KVs were very good. Do you have recent info on how good KV at IISC is?
Cluny is close by but they're too strict on the 4 yr age limit for LKG from what I've heard.
KVs will always remain good. My manager and friend's parents taught at KV IISC till about 4 yrs back and they have very high opinion of the school.KVs admit from 1st standard, so for time being should be ruled out for you.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:33   #322
BHPian

Quote:
KVs will always remain good. My manager and friend's parents taught at KV IISC till about 4 yrs back and they have very high opinion of the school.KVs admit from 1st standard, so for time being should be ruled out for you.
I knew that KVs start from 1st standard only, but someone told me they're planning to start from LKG next year. When I called them they confirmed that KVs start from 1st standard only as you mention.
About Cluny, they're too strict on the date of birth & wont even issue application forms if 1 day younger than their cutoff of 31-May!
Old 30th September 2013, 11:48   #323
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a query related to ICSE pattern schools.
My kid is a student of ICSE school in Bangalore & I want to know how it works when we are transferred from one city to another.
There are chances that, I may get posted to Pune during next year March2014.
Hence, if I take some kind of recommendation letter from ICSE Bangalore school & approach Pune's ICSE school, will they accomodate my kid??
As my transfer is scheduled after completion of previous acedamic year, it will not be a mid-acedamic year transfer for my kid. My kid will join after completing his 1st STD final exam.
Looking forward to inputs from you all.
BR,
//Dev
Old 30th September 2013, 11:52   #324
BHPian

Quote:
About Cluny, they're too strict on the date of birth & wont even issue application forms if 1 day younger than their cutoff of 31-May!
Some other schools that you could consider -
1 -> Poorna Prajna in Sadashivnagar
2 -> Stella Maris (100% sure they are very strict on age, but you could check)
3 -> MES Kishore Kendra (I believe they are state syllabus, so could be a deal breaker for you)
4 -> VVS Sardar Patel (Rajajinagar First Block) -> Very old school which I believe now offers CBSE or ICSE. Its a conservative school which puts most emphasis on studies. I am a VVS product (though not Sardar Patel)
5 -> NPS Rajajinagar would be about 8-9 kms from Malleshwaram. (NAFL in Basaveshwarnagar is also a good option)
6 -> Srividya Mandir in Malleswaram also had a good reputation some time back. Dont know too many details today though.
I hope I did not add to your confusion.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:03   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Some other schools that you could consider -
1 -> Poorna Prajna in Sadashivnagar
2 -> Stella Maris (100% sure they are very strict on age, but you could check)
3 -> MES Kishore Kendra (I believe they are state syllabus, so could be a deal breaker for you)
4 -> VVS Sardar Patel (Rajajinagar First Block) -> Very old school which I believe now offers CBSE or ICSE. Its a conservative school which puts most emphasis on studies. I am a VVS product (though not Sardar Patel)
5 -> NPS Rajajinagar would be about 8-9 kms from Malleshwaram. (NAFL in Basaveshwarnagar is also a good option)
6 -> Srividya Mandir in Malleswaram also had a good reputation some time back. Dont know too many details today though.
I hope I did not add to your confusion.
Just to make myself more clear, my daughter is already in Sindhi school in Kumara Park in Nursery. We faced a few issues which may be temporary but it made me think whether I need to look for a new school for LKG. Looking at CBSE or ICSE schools only so 1, 3, 4, 6 are ruled out! VVS Sardar Patel is a state school but said to be good. Most other state schools here dont have such a good reputation these days. Tried NPS Rajajinagar but didnt get admit last year for montessori. Nearby options are limited unfortunately.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:52   #326
Senior - BHPian

While our apartment is getting completed at Uttarahalli, we are looking for schools in the vicinity of this area for my son.

We will be shifting next year, after this year's school term for my son is complete.

My son is currently in UKG and will be joining I std. next year and we have shortlisted the below schools, in order of priority and preference:

1. Insight Academy (ICSE). Link.
Seems to be a nice school. Spoke to a couple of kids and they like the school.
2. Bangalore International Public School (Uttarahalli main road, near Brigade Komarla apts.) ; Link. ISCE and State syllabus.
No playground :( My perception is that it's too focused on academics and we are looking for a balanced approach with academics and other areas such as music, arts, etc.
3. Jnana Sweekar Public School (CBSE). Link.
Annual tuition fees - 62k plus donation and other charges for uniform, etc. Expensive but has a big campus.
I am looking for reviews, feedback and whatever little level of detail you could provide to help me decide between these 3 schools.

Our apartment is located 1km from the Brigade Komarla apartment complex, Uttarahalli main road.

So if you have any other good school in mind (excluding SSLC syllabus), within a 4km radius or a max travel time of 20-25 mins by school bus, one way, please let me know.

Eagerly awaiting your valuable replies. Thanks in advance.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:15   #327
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
While our apartment is getting completed at Uttarahalli, we are looking for schools in the vicinity of this area for my son.

We will be shifting next year, after this year's school term for my son is complete.

My son is currently in UKG and will be joining I std. next year and we have shortlisted the below schools, in order of priority and preference:
Our apartment is located 1km from the Brigade Komarla apartment complex, Uttarahalli main road.

So if you have any other good school in mind (excluding SSLC syllabus), within a 4km radius or a max travel time of 20-25 mins by school bus, one way, please let me know.
Hey Aditya - I think Deccan International or some similar named school is also nearby, isn't that on your list ? Not a recommendation but had a friend whose kids were studying there but they moved out of the country 5 years ago.
I'm not very familiar with the area and schools but I've heard from friends that these are good, not sure if they meet your criteria as well as distance from your apartment.

Aurobindo Memorial School, Banashankari 2nd stage (old, well known school)

National Hill View Public School, Rajarajeshwari nagar (have some friends whose children study here).

Apollo National Public school, Banashankari 3rd stage

Last edited by NPV : 30th September 2013 at 23:24. Reason: Adding one more Apollo NPS
Old 30th September 2013, 23:21   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Insight Academy (ICSE). Link.
Seems to be a nice school. Spoke to a couple of kids and they like the school.
2. Bangalore International Public School (Uttarahalli main road, near Brigade Komarla apts.) ; Link. ISCE and State syllabus.
No playground :( My perception is that it's too focused on academics and we are looking for a balanced approach with academics and other areas such as music, arts, etc.
3. Jnana Sweekar Public School (CBSE). Link.
Annual tuition fees - 62k plus donation and other charges for uniform, etc. Expensive but has a big campus.
I am looking for reviews, feedback and whatever little level of detail you could provide to help me decide between these 3 schools.

I live in BSK 2nd Stage, and my son has just got a place in Deccan International - nursery. Definitely recommended. Seems to be a nice school, and there is plenty of space.
Aurobindo is old, well known, and stuck in a time warp. I would not recommend it.
Old 30th September 2013, 23:35   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sri Kumaran's Childrens Home is also a good school - covering State, CBSE and ICSE syllabus , a very large campus as well. It might not come in the 4 KM distance, but suggesting this since you have thought of Jnana Sweekar school, and Kumarans isnt too far away from Jnana sweekar.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:02   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Hey Aditya - I think Deccan International or some similar named school is also nearby, isn't that on your list ?

National Hill View Public School, Rajarajeshwari nagar (have some friends whose children study here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
I live in BSK 2nd Stage, and my son has just got a place in Deccan International - nursery. Definitely recommended. Seems to be a nice school, and there is plenty of space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Sri Kumaran's Childrens Home is also a good school - covering State, CBSE and ICSE syllabus , a very large campus as well.
Thanks for your suggestions and feedback.

Will be heading over to Deccan Intl. and Kumaran's this saturday.

National Hill View has a sprawling campus and looks awesome but kinda expensive. Also they open admissions only in June which is very late since most schools open up admissions during Oct-Nov.

Most Viewed