Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 17:53   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Any feedback on Vidya Niketan Hebbal ?
Among the best schools in Bangalore, I think!
Old 26th June 2013, 23:24   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Any feedback on Vidya Niketan Hebbal ?
I studied in VNS. Its a wonderful school! Awesome teaching faculty and infrastructure. Its got two basketball courts, a table tennis room and a huge field for football and cricket! And I'm guessing more things have come up after I passed out. Its super VFM too. It has been listed in the top 10 day schools in India or something like that. I recommend it 100%!
If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!
Old 30th June 2013, 11:45   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post

I studied in VNS. Its a wonderful school! Awesome teaching faculty and infrastructure. Its got two basketball courts, a table tennis room and a huge field for football and cricket! And I'm guessing more things have come up after I passed out. Its super VFM too. It has been listed in the top 10 day schools in India or something like that. I recommend it 100%!
If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!
Thanks for the pointers. What about performance in academics like IIT JEE, Medical entrance exams ?
Old 30th June 2013, 16:08   #304
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the pointers. What about performance in academics like IIT JEE, Medical entrance exams ?
The performance in 10th and 12th board exams are really good. About entrance exams, I'm not too sure. I studied there only till 10th.
Old 5th July 2013, 22:36   #305
Senior - BHPian

re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Any of you have any recent experiences with the playhomes near Marathalli-Doddanekundi on the ORR? My son is 2.2y and i am planning to start with a play home admission for him around November, when he would have atleast attained the age of 2.6Y. Do let me know if any of you have personal contacts as well.
Old 25th July 2013, 10:59   #306
BHPian

Re: Employability of Indian Technical Graduates

Steve Job's take on the role of technology in education:

Could technology help by improving education?

I used to think that technology could help education. I've probably spearheaded giving away more computer equipment to schools than anybody else on the planet. But I've had to come to the inevitable conclusion that the problem is not one that technology can hope to solve. What's wrong with education cannot be fixed with technology. No amount of technology will make a dent.

It's a political problem. The problems are sociopolitical. The problems are unions. You plot the growth of the NEA [National Education Association] and the dropping of SAT scores, and they're inversely proportional. The problems are unions in the schools. The problem is bureaucracy. I'm one of these people who believes the best thing we could ever do is go to the full voucher system.

I have a 17-year-old daughter who went to a private school for a few years before high school. This private school is the best school I've seen in my life. It was judged one of the 100 best schools in America. It was phenomenal. The tuition was $5,500 a year, which is a lot of money for most parents. But the teachers were paid less than public school teachers - so it's not about money at the teacher level. I asked the state treasurer that year what California pays on average to send kids to school, and I believe it was $4,400. While there are not many parents who could come up with $5,500 a year, there are many who could come up with $1,000 a year.

If we gave vouchers to parents for $4,400 a year, schools would be starting right and left. People would get out of college and say, "Let's start a school." You could have a track at Stanford within the MBA program on how to be the businessperson of a school. And that MBA would get together with somebody else, and they'd start schools. And you'd have these young, idealistic people starting schools, working for pennies.

They'd do it because they'd be able to set the curriculum. When you have kids you think, What exactly do I want them to learn? Most of the stuff they study in school is completely useless. But some incredibly valuable things you don't learn until you're older - yet you could learn them when you're younger. And you start to think, What would I do if I set a curriculum for a school?

God, how exciting that could be! But you can't do it today. You'd be crazy to work in a school today. You don't get to do what you want. You don't get to pick your books, your curriculum. You get to teach one narrow specialization. Who would ever want to do that?

These are the solutions to our problems in education. Unfortunately, technology isn't it. You're not going to solve the problems by putting all knowledge onto CD-ROMs. We can put a Web site in every school - none of this is bad. It's bad only if it lulls us into thinking we're doing something to solve the problem with education.

Lincoln did not have a Web site at the log cabin where his parents home-schooled him, and he turned out pretty interesting. Historical precedent shows that we can turn out amazing human beings without technology. Precedent also shows that we can turn out very uninteresting human beings with technology.

It's not as simple as you think when you're in your 20s - that technology's going to change the world. In some ways it will, in some ways it won't.

Link for complete interview below:

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/4.02/jobs_pr.html
Old 18th August 2013, 21:54   #307
BHPian

Hi,

I guess the feedback on BGS NPS is good.

I was looking at their admissions criteria : http://bgsnps.com/admission.php

It mentions for 2014-2015, the age criteria is 3 years as on June 30th 2014.

Just wanted to check whether this is minimum age or maximum age ?

Thanks !
Old 18th August 2013, 22:02   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavm View Post
Hi,

I guess the feedback on BGS NPS is good.

I was looking at their admissions criteria : http://bgsnps.com/admission.php

It mentions for 2014-2015, the age criteria is 3 years as on June 30th 2014.

Just wanted to check whether this is minimum age or maximum age ?

Thanks !
It would be the minimum age.Lesser than 3 no school admits kids afaik unless its one of those playschools or admission into prekg/nursery.If its kindergarten minimum age is 3-3.5yrs
Old 18th August 2013, 22:07   #309
BHPian

^^

Thanks Ranjitp1

It is actually PP-I - so it might be pre-kg/nursery. Hence the query.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:19   #310
BHPian

My son is turning 2 this November and I am planning to start his career then on. Any good play schools/schools in and around Kukatpally, Hyderabad.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:35   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
My son is turning 2 this November and I am planning to start his career then on. Any good play schools/schools in and around Kukatpally, Hyderabad.
My daughter started off with her nursery followed by kindergarten at Abhaya Waldorf.Its worked excellent for us till now.Plenty of kids from Kukatpally as well.What worked well for us was that there was no change of structure or friends which is usually the case when moving from a playschool to a proper school www.abhayaschool.org
Old 19th August 2013, 17:49   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
My daughter started off with her nursery followed by kindergarten at Abhaya Waldorf.Its worked excellent for us till now.Plenty of kids from Kukatpally as well.What worked well for us was that there was no change of structure or friends which is usually the case when moving from a playschool to a proper school www.abhayaschool.org
I stay behind patel kunta park, by lane to south india shopping mall. When checking on maps, it shows 13km. Do you think for a startup travelling this much is wise.
BTW, gone through the website and the curriculum looks impressive.
Old 19th August 2013, 17:55   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I stay behind patel kunta park, by lane to south india shopping mall. When checking on maps, it shows 13km. Do you think for a startup travelling this much is wise.
BTW, gone through the website and the curriculum looks impressive.
Distance and travelling are purely an individualistic decision I guessFor us the school is 21kms away.stay at Sainikpuri.Yes the school follows the waldorf/steiner method,the other school following the same curriculum is Sloka.
Old 19th August 2013, 18:22   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Distance and travelling are purely an individualistic decision I guessFor us the school is 21kms away.stay at Sainikpuri.Yes the school follows the waldorf/steiner method,the other school following the same curriculum is Sloka.
Very much agree on the individual opinion. First time leaving my kid very long is some what not getting digested in to me. But will travel to the school and have a look, because when people like you are willing to leave your kids in that school even though distance is not a hindrance makes me think how valuable would be the school.
Old 19th August 2013, 23:41   #315
BHPian

Any feedback on Genesis Global School, Sec 132, Noida? Considering for my son for 2014/15 session. Please let me know if you have any first hand experience with this school from your friend/ family circle and we can possibly speak on phone for a few minutes. Will be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

http://www.genesisglobalschool.com/

Most Viewed