Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2022, 20:19   #1051
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need inputs on coaching classes and taking a drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeinpune View Post
I figured that he is not good at self learning and needs a good teacher.

1. Is it ok to take a drop of 1 year with the aim of being better prepared in the entrance exams? He says that many students do it.
Yes, this is a good plan. Realistically; he can aim for MH-CET to get a place in top 10 collages in MH (Like VJIT, COEP). Stretch goal could be JEE Main for IIIT , Newer NITs etc. With state Quota, VNIT Nagpur can be another stretch goal.

Quote:
2. What are some of the good coaching institutes in Pune for engineering entrance exams?
Usual FITJEE and other National institutes are pretty good. They have specific batches for students who are not targeting IITs. Specifically for Pune and Mumbai; PACE is pretty good (but expensive). They have very good plan for MH-CET prep.

For example, one of the video lectures during on-line classes :

Quote:
Would it be wrong to expect these institutes to improve the learning and understanding in addition to getting good scores in the entrance exams?
They do try, but it is not realistic to expect that for droppers. They have just one year to cover 20 chapters in P, C and M each. Best they can do is to motivate him for solving 100 - 200 questions every day on average.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 16:04   #1052
BHPian

Re: The School & College Admissions Thread

TBHP amazes me every single day. We have a thread for everything, from a pen to schools!

I'll be moving to Namma Bengaluru soon. Wife and kid will follow me next year before the next academic year starts. My office will be in Whitefield area, so I am looking for schools there.

My son is in 5th grade. He presently studies at Chirec, CBSE. He doesn't seem very much inclined towards academics right now, but its too early to make an assessment. He absolutely LOVES playing outdoors, especially basketball.

Any suggestions for CBSE schools in that area? We are looking for something that is similar to Chirec - no exams until mid-school, good balance between academics and sports, and also a good basketball team.

Based on hearsay, I contacted Chrysalis High. But looks like they don't have French as a second language yet. Its only Hindi or Kannada. 6th grade is probably too late for him to change the language now. So looking for options where French is a 2nd language.
Old 10th August 2022, 16:15   #1053
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Any suggestions for CBSE schools in that area?
I've heard that Deens Academy is a good CBSE school in Whitefield. Not sure about the other criteria that you mentioned like French, opportunities for sports, etc.

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2022 at 16:16.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 18:33   #1054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Based on hearsay, I contacted Chrysalis High. But looks like they don't have French as a second language yet. Its only Hindi or Kannada. 6th grade is probably too late for him to change the language now. So looking for options where French is a 2nd language.
Not too familiar with the schools in Whitefield area, but if you stay closer to the area around Forum Neighborhood Mall, it opens up the possibilities of schools on Varthur Road(Varthur town is a massive traffic jam point though) - Just look it up on maps.

On the 2nd language, the Karnataka Government had made Kannada mandatory as a second language for children starting 1st standard on or after the 2017 academic start. My kid's school follows it an only offer Kannada as 2nd language. This year a new kid who relocated from Delhi had to also start Kannada as 2nd language-The school had a special class and syllabus for such students starting late.

Many schools follow this rule, many do not- Something you should check.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 22:04   #1055
BHPian

Hi,

I had a small question for experts here. My son is 14 months old and we are in the process of selecting a school for him. We stay in Mumbai and there are a number of school options (IB / ICSE / CBSE / IGCSE) in our area (Goregaon West). While I was researching about IGCSE, I came across the website of one of the local schools. The website highlights the following point (source: link)

"The IGCSE board examinations are held in May-June and the results are announced online in the 2nd week of August every year, with the print copies of results available in the School by the 3rd week of August. The certificates are issued mid-October. These timelines do not synchronize with the admissions schedules of the Indian +2 boards (ISC/CBSE/HSC).

Thus, the time-lag between the announcement of IGCSE results and the Class XI admissions timelines in India acts, to some extent, as a limiting factor with respect to options within the Indian curriculum. IGCSE students are eligible for admission to Junior Colleges in Mumbai on the basis of published results only"

I am a little confused regarding the above point. Do they mean to say that the delay in results of IGCSE can cause issues with admissions in Indian colleges?
Old 23rd August 2022, 10:31   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi,

I had a small question for experts here. My son is 14 months old and we are in the process of selecting a school for him. We stay in Mumbai and there are a number of school options (IB / ICSE / CBSE / IGCSE) in our area (Goregaon West).
I grew up in Goregaon West- I don't suppose parents these days want to send their kids to STA or Vivek Vidyalaya eh?

Seriously though, there are plenty of parents who opt for IGCSE- in my kids' school in Pune it is offered as an option after Class 7 if I'm not mistaken. And though parents usually opt for it with an objective to send their kids overseas to continue their education, am pretty sure the system is not so inflexible as to preculde IGCSE kids from local junior colleges. Your worry is misplaced IMHO.

Also, your kids is 14 months old. You have plenty of time- if one school or board doesn't work for you, you can change! Just relax, choose a reputable school with progressive management who engage well with parents. From my experience, the Board doesn't make much of a difference at primary level: maybe later on you can explore IGCSE or IB. Good luck!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 11:36   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But looks like they don't have French as a second language yet.
If your son is newly taking up French. I would suggest against it. This choice would heavily limit schools you can switch to. We did this mistake with my daughter during her 6th grade, when we had to move earlier this year as she was getting into grade 8, there was only one school in 15 km radius we could enroll her.
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:19   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
If your son is newly taking up French. I would suggest against it. This choice would heavily limit schools you can switch to. We did this mistake with my daughter during her 6th grade, when we had to move earlier this year as she was getting into grade 8, there was only one school in 15 km radius we could enroll her.
Is it possible for a school to deny the option of any language that the board conducts exams for?

I had a classmate (this is from 20 years earlier) who chose French as the second language. The school did not have a French teacher since no other student chose that language. He would go to the library and read something while others had their second language classes. His parents had arranged a tutor who would teach him French at home.
Old 23rd August 2022, 13:55   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Is it possible for a school to deny the option of any language that the board conducts exams for?

His parents had arranged a tutor who would teach him French at home.
My son's school didn't have a concern to admit my daughter. We did. This is an additional academic burden on top of school timings. Add to that, additional pressure of new language in Class 10 boards. Not to forget, monetarily its almost half the school fee for a year.

Am fine with her learning a new language (she did formal schooling in Italian until grade 2 while we were a resident), just don't want to add these life-deciding board exam nonsense into the mix.
Old 23rd August 2022, 14:45   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
No, my son has been learning French since 1st Grade. So don't want to switch to a new language now.

Any feedback on Jain Heritage School? That seems to be the front runner now.

Thanks!
shifu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 09:00   #1061
BHPian

Hi All,
My daughter is almost 3, and we're planning to admit her to nursery from next academic year.

I'm looking for school recommendations in Bangalore North (Hebbal/Kempapura, RT Nagar area). I've shortlisted Sindhi, Jain Heritage, Vidyaniketan, Kensri, Vidyanjali, Presidency, and Florence in this area.

We're ok with CBSE or ICSE. We want good academics as well as co-curriculars/extra-curriculars, sports etc.Which among these is the best in terms of academics and extra curriculars? Are there any other schools we can consider in the area?

Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 12:41   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Abhaya Waldorf Hyderabad-Admissions 2023-24

Admissions for next academic year are open. Parents desirous of attending the orientation session are requested to send details such as Name, Date of Birth and contact number by mail to schooladmin@abhayaschool.com to enable the school to schedule assessments.

The Orientation Date is Saturday 5th November 2022 at 10.30 am , after the orientation, the registration form will be issued. .

http://www.abhayaschool.com
Old 19th October 2022, 13:49   #1063
BHPian

Hi All,

This academic year we relocated to Bangalore. My daughter studies in class 4. We were little late in admission process as we started looking for school in March. It limited our options. After lot of deliberation and feedback from my colleagues and friends, we admitted her in DPS East.

While taking admission I had many concerns, but couple of our close friends assured that its good school. After 6 months, we did not have much concerns and we were finding school to be decent. But recently her mid term exams were concluded and we realized that school only covered 30-40% of the syllabus for almost all of the subjects. This is really shocking for me. As I do not think they will be able to cover full syllabus. I checked with my friends and they confirmed that every year they do the same. Apparently they skips 2-3 chapters from all subjects. In fact some parents finding it as positive point for school as kids have to study less and it makes their job easier.

While I can compromise on many of the concerns which I had earlier, I can not make peace with the fact that full syllabus will not be covered.

Can members from Bangalore confirm, if other schools as well follow the same pattern of not covering the full syllabus? In Pune, my daughters school used to cover full syllabus even in standard 1.

Last edited by VaibhaoT : 19th October 2022 at 13:51.
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:28   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Any experts here with insights on IB curriculum?

In the process of choosing whether ICSE or IB syllabus to go for from Class 1 onwards. Would like to opt for IB but not sure exactly on what is that we need to be aware of if we do that. And not much information available on that. And there is no option for CBSE in the particular school and we do not want to change the school.
  • Does opting for IB makes sense?
  • What is that we will loose out when compared to CBSE or ICSE? and what is that we gain?
  • Can we switch from IB to ICSE midway, say in case if we want to after couple of years or later?
  • What sort of board exams are there for IB and are those students eligible for the competitive exams down the line, just like other syllabus's?

Last edited by balenoed_ : 3rd November 2022 at 23:30.
Old 4th November 2022, 06:13   #1065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
  • Does opting for IB makes sense?
  • What is that we will loose out when compared to CBSE or ICSE? and what is that we gain?
  • Can we switch from IB to ICSE midway, say in case if we want to after couple of years or later?
  • What sort of board exams are there for IB and are those students eligible for the competitive exams down the line, just like other syllabus's?
I am not sure how popular IB is in India, but from our experience, it is pretty good. My daughter is in IB from Grade 1 onwards (now in Grade 9). The learning is inquiry-based and it doesn't load the child from a young age. And for that reason, I have seen one of our friends moving their child to CBSE school, because they felt the kid is too free, and the school is not feeding enough content.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks