Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 06:08   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: The School & College Admissions Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
So the problem is not with the CBSE curriculum but the way it's taught and the way the assessment is carried out. I am not criticising it. We don't have the infrastructure and "will of the society" to deliver a high quality education across the country. I'm not sure it would do any good to conduct high quality exams and fail a majority of the kids that do not have access to quality schooling to start with. That's the harsh reality.

I'm not suggesting IGCSE is better than CBSE - different ecosystems with different objectives.
Couldn't agree more.

CBSE and IGCSE are solving different problems. CBSE has to deal with schools without good teachers and with kids where family can't afford expensive tuitions.

IGCSE is for "rich" families in India/Pakistan/Hong Kong/Indonesia
  1. Only available in metros and some large cities
  2. At least 2 lakh per year for School AND
  3. 1 Lakh for tuitions

In absence of tuitions, it is difficult to pass verbal exams (Students hear 20 minute clips of audio, have to comprehend it and then answer questions)

Similarly, questions like this are just not feasible in final exams unless teachers are really good:

The School & College Admissions Thread-igcse-english-example.png
NetfreakBombay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 23:08   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Don't know about IB since my kids did not take that., they chose IGCSE.
My mistake, I (wrongly) misunderstood IGCSE to be the exam and IB to be the general curriculum (e.g. difference between CBSE and AISSE/10th)

I now get that IGCSE is different from IB.

Quote:
IGCSE is more difficult than CBSE primarily due to application of knowledge. As an example, look at 2022 question paper https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com...0(v3)%20QP.pdf . It does not have questions that require rote learning.
Yes, loved the question paper . I wish these kinds of things were more common in the Indian question papers.

However, I still feel that the basics/fundamentals of concept used to answer the question paper is already being addressed in CBSE 11th & 12th curriculum along with the Physical lab. It is just that most schools and teachers are not interested in following that path because numbers matter in India, not just highest marks but also the highest population with decent marks, and the teacher's approach is something that works to get most number of people most marks - knowing the set pattern of the exam papers.

I can say this since I studied in one of the "decent" schools in Delhi, and most teachers there were indeed quite serious about getting students to understand the stuff, rather than cram for the exams (exams that follow the same set pattern). However, the students were more concerned with what has been the exam pattern and what could be studied with least effort to yield highest marks.

Quote:
So the problem is not with the CBSE curriculum but the way it's taught and the way the assessment is carried out. I am not criticising it. We don't have the infrastructure and "will of the society" to deliver a high quality education across the country. I'm not sure it would do any good to conduct high quality exams and fail a majority of the kids that do not have access to quality schooling to start with. That's the harsh reality.
Agreed, that is my assessment about education in general and 10th & 12th exams (AISSE and AISSCE) vs personal experience at my alma mater.

Last edited by alpha1 : 9th January 2024 at 23:12.
Old 18th January 2024, 03:31   #1158
BHPian

Guys,

Any coaching center do you know for cracking Karnataka CET and COMEDK with a good rank for engineering colleges in Bangalore?

Thanks,
Old 18th January 2024, 10:56   #1159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnaveen21 View Post
Guys,

Any coaching center do you know for cracking Karnataka CET and COMEDK with a good rank for engineering colleges in Bangalore?

Thanks,
There are plenty. The corporate type ones are BASE (https://baseedu.in/), Allen (https://www.allen.ac.in/), Akash (https://www.aakash.ac.in/). They have long-duration, short-duration, online, and offline courses for IIT Mains, which cover KCET.

Quote:
It costs a LOT to setup a school.
There is business disruption happening in 11th & 12th grades. The coaching centers have convinced the parents that their teaching is better than colleges for both board & entrance exams. Parents are willing to pay both coaching & college fees. The colleges have *outsourced* teaching PCMB subjects to the coaching centers. Colleges teach languages and satisfy lab requirements for the board exam. Students need not visit colleges daily. They can go to college for a few hours weekly for languages and labs. The rest of the week, including weekends is spent in coaching centers.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 11:06   #1160
Team-BHP Support

How "elite" colleges have rigged the system in USA...

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2024, 21:59   #1161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There are plenty. The corporate type ones are BASE (https://baseedu.in/), Allen (https://www.allen.ac.in/), Akash (https://www.aakash.ac.in/). They have long-duration, short-duration, online, and offline courses for IIT Mains, which cover KCET.
Thank you for the reply, any suggestion for this coaching center,
Gate Indian Institute of Tutorial(GATEIIT) ,2nd Phase, J. P. Nagar, Bengaluru

Thanks,
Old 6th April 2024, 15:51   #1162
BHPian

Hello All,

I am relocating to Bangalore north due to work. I am admitting my son to first standard. Have shortlisted Sindhi high school (cbse) and Vishwa Vidyapeeth (icse). As admissions are closed in most schools these are the only two options available now.

If any member's children are attending one of the schools, please provide insight on both schools.
Old 6th April 2024, 16:41   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Mysoreans,

What is a good place (non residential) to study for a 9th standard Karnataka state syllabus, english medium student? The requirement is of a school that encourages participation in co-curricular activities along with academics.

Not particular about location or distance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks