Team-BHP - The School & College Admissions Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The School & College Admissions Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/71698-school-college-admissions-thread-68.html)

I have a Bangalore specific question.

My son is about to be promoted to Grade 5, and I have been asked to choose a third language for him. The choices are: Hindi, Sanskrit and French.

So far till grade 4, my son has been studying both Hindi and Kannada (because studying Kannada has been mandated by the government). Though, my 8 year old twin nieces haven't had to study Kannada at all so far.

The school is now saying Kannada has been mandated by the government to be taken up as a SECOND language (which is why it does not feature as one of the choices for the third language). It's been daunting enough so far but as a second language I am sure the struggle is only going to increase many folds.

Is there any government rule like this? How are non Kannadiga kids and their parents here coping up with this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxy (Post 5251309)

My son is about to be promoted to Grade 5, and I have been asked to choose a third language for him. The choices are: Hindi, Sanskrit and French.

So far till grade 4, my son has been studying both Hindi and Kannada (because studying Kannada has been mandated by the government). Though, my 8 year old twin nieces haven't had to study Kannada at all so far.

The school is now saying Kannada has been mandated by the government to be taken up as a SECOND language (which is why it does not feature as one of the choices for the third language). It's been daunting enough so far but as a second language I am sure the struggle is only going to increase many folds.

Is there any government rule like this? How are non Kannadiga kids and their parents here coping up with this?

What a coincidence! My wife and I were just discussing this an hour ago. My son is also moving to class 5 from June 2022, and we were discussing what’s to be done.

And yes, Kannada as a language seems to have been made compulsory. Although I think few schools are getting away without doing so ( I presume these are schools that are not the regular crop of CBSE/ ICSE schools )

Actually my son has had Kannada as compulsory for the last 2 years now ( in classes 3 and 4 ), and plus he has had Hindi too. I think they now have an option to choose between French and Hindi, but there is no option to leave out Kannada.

My immediate thought was that it’s better to continue with Hindi rather than French. I have studied French in my school days and it’s a ridiculously easy language to learn. Also, neither my wife and nor I can read or write Hindi, so we felt it is better for him to continue Hindi and Kannada for now.

I just think French as a language is no longer one of the more important global languages. Amongst global languages, Spanish and German are quite relevant in the current context, Chinese too, but that’s way too complicated for now.

Lastly, there is no easy way to learn a language you don’t speak at home. Like I said, my wife and I cannot read or write Hindi, and it’s the same with Kannada as well. So far my wife has managed to help my son with the help of Google at times, and she too has picked up the Kannada alphabets here and there. Secondly, from what I know, the study material of Kannada is a bit more basic, it’s not elaborate as such, and the school doesn’t seem to sort of focus on this much. I have heard that few of my son’s friends have been attending tuitions for Kannada, I don’t know if we will have to take that route when he moves to higher classes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by motorworks (Post 5251332)
Lastly, there is no easy way to learn a language you don’t speak at home. Like I said, my wife and I cannot read or write Hindi, and it’s the same with Kannada as well. So far my wife has managed to help my son with the help of Google at times, and she too has picked up the Kannada alphabets here and there. Secondly, from what I know, the study material of Kannada is a bit more basic, it’s not elaborate as such, and the school doesn’t seem to sort of focus on this much. I have heard that few of my son’s friends have been attending tuitions for Kannada, I don’t know if we will have to take that route when he moves to higher classes.

My mother tongue is Kannada. Though I studied in English medium right from the first standard, my Kannada is very good - thanks partly to my participation in cultural activities in Dharwad during my school days and Sanskrit I studied in +2 years. I even know a little bit about Halegannada. We converse in Dharwad style Kannada dialect in our house.

Despite all this, I found it difficult to teach my son Kannada in high school. He had Natyamayuri prescribed in class 9 / 10 and took quite an effort to explain the story. Language aside, the story itself is quite dense for kids to grasp. Halegannada and Mankuthimanna kagga were not even attempted.

Quote:

Yes this rule is there and has been there since academic year 2017 applicable to all kids starting first standard in 2017 and later. My kid has been studying it as a 2nd language since then. This was applicable to all schools irrespective of the board. My kid's school started implementation once mandated, but I know many schools delayed on it and assumed it won't be enforced. But the department of education has become strict on it and schools are being forced to fall in line. Since your kid would have entered 1st in 2018, the rule would be applicable. Unfortunately since the school delayed it, it now would put some additional avoidable pressure on the kids.

Having said that, the syllabus so far has been pretty ok. We did have an additional tuition arranged for a year, but since the corona times that had to stop, now she manages on her own.

Quote:

We are planning to relocate to Bangalore in next few months.
My daughter will be starting her class 4. As far as I know, there is no escape from Kannada as second language. I don't know how much difference does it make if Kannada is third language. We have been told that with the help of tuitions, kids catch up. Personally I have my own anxiety rather than her. I am not against learning a new language, its just starting it from class 4 might have more burden on her.
Currently we are thinking of DPS East, as we are planning to stay nearby Bellandur area.

Quote:

IGCSE can be an option. This is how it works in Mumbai :
  1. Two languages are mandatory. English and one of French/German/Hindi/Marathi/Mandarin/...
  2. From Class 4 to 8th, Marathi and Hindi are compulsory. There are not graded though. So kids can choose to ignore.
  3. From Class 9th, student needs to pick a stream. Those going for Arts can continue with Hindi and Marathi (for Writing / Media production etc.)

Edit : It seems from school sites; it is similar in Bangalore as well.

https://north.dpsbangalore.edu.in/igcse-curriculum/

The School & College Admissions Thread-screenshot-20220207-6.15.10-pm.png

Basically, they will teach third language; but not grade it or make is really easy.

I was looking at admitting my daughter to pre nursery in some of the old schools in Bangalore CBD (Baldwin's, Sophia, Bishop Cottons, Sacred
Hearts etc). Sophia has already completed the admission for this year (I was late) while Bishop Cottons do not have pre nursery. Baldwin's were eager to have my daughter admitted and were telling me to pay the required OTF by tomorrow but I was skeptical reading the reviews of the school especially from past 3-4 years.

Sacred hearts school has pre nursery program and do not charge any OTF until Nursery. Posting here to get feedback for Baldwin's and Sacred Hearts girls schools. It would really help. Also suggestions about other good ICSE/CBSE schools in and around Lalbagh would be helpful too. Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie (Post 5254307)
I was looking at admitting my daughter to pre nursery in some of the old schools in Bangalore CBD (Baldwin's, Sophia, Bishop Cottons, Sacred
Hearts etc). Sophia has already completed the admission for this year (I was late) while Bishop Cottons do not have pre nursery. Baldwin's were eager to have my daughter admitted and were telling me to pay the required OTF by tomorrow but I was skeptical reading the reviews of the school especially from past 3-4 years.

Sacred hearts school has pre nursery program and do not charge any OTF until Nursery. Posting here to get feedback for Baldwin's and Sacred Hearts girls schools. It would really help. Also suggestions about other good ICSE/CBSE schools in and around Lalbagh would be helpful too. Thanks

Both are well known and well established schools in Bangalore, that have been around for a long time. I feel you will be fine with either one of them. Both have fairly decent size campuses and extra curricular activities.

Quote:

My 8 year daughter is in sacred hearts and unfortunately for her, she's never been to school once because of the pandemic. Fees are reasonable, online coaching has been good. They took some time to adapt to the online coaching system and there are subjects where we feel the teaching can be better but so far at a overall level, we are satisfied. You can try Tenbroek academy for ICSE nera Tagore Circle underpass but they are charging atleast double than what Sacred Heart charges. I didn't see the value of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 5252763)
IGCSE can be an option. This is how it works in Mumbai :

IGCSE will be helpful if one is going to send their ward to a foreign country for bachelors. Saying that bachelors degree is super expensive and typically does not come with any scholarship.

If one's parents does not earn in that country of residence then this becomes super expensive, super fast. In my personal opinion for doing bachelors degree in India (especially in STEM), CBSE is a better choice.

This type of 'second'/'third' language requirement is one of the reasons why I actually prefer transferring out of the country than transferring within the country :Frustrati.

Looking for advice from fellow Parents (specific to Bangalore). What are the parameters based on which a school is shortlisted? Looking out for options for my nephew (1std admission). I can only think of 2 (distance from home and well established/known school)

Thanks in advance

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceman82 (Post 5255218)
IGCSE will be helpful if one is going to send their ward to a foreign country for bachelors....especially in STEM, CBSE is a better choice.

There are few advantages with IGCSE for JEE / NEET prep
  1. Student can exclude third language, history, civics etc and only include science / maths for 10th.
  2. Questions are "application" oriented with minimal rote-learning. This prepares them for STEM from 9th itself
Students preparing for law / humanities /business can similarly customize learning path from 9th itself.

Disadvantage :
  1. It is expensive

Dear all,

Wanted to get some information from the members at Bangalore.

There has been a Karnataka High Court Order and subsequent order from the Department of Education, Karnataka on the topic of refund of school fees (of 15%) for the academic year, for private unaided schools.

Wanted to understand if the schools have either refunded the said amount or adjusted towards the fees payable for the academic year 2021-22.

I have been discussing with the school folks of my daughter and they just brush this off either saying this is only for private aided schools (though the order clearly mentions otherwise) or saying they have not received any letter from the Department of Education.

I also know of some schools which have refunded the amount, but this fact has not helped in my discussion with the school.

Any pointers on this would be helpful. Also attaching the said order (mostly it is in Kannada with few paragraphs in English).

Thanks in advance.
KK

NSFCP19112021.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by akhil_007 (Post 5255251)
Looking for advice from fellow Parents (specific to Bangalore). What are the parameters based on which a school is shortlisted? Looking out for options for my nephew (1std admission). I can only think of 2 (distance from home and well established/known school)

Thanks in advance

Depends on how deep you want to dive in.

Quote:

I was looking at admitting my daughter to pre nursery in some of the old schools in Bangalore CBD

Quoting my own post. After combing through many schools (NPS Jayanagar, RV, Outreach, Sacred Hearts, Baldwin's, Tenbroeck/Chimes) and few montessories (Eurokids, Kidzee etc), have reduced my choices to St. Paul's Jayanagar (pre school only. Main school at JP Nagar 3rd phase) or Greenwood High Pre School (JP Nagar/Jayanagar. Main school at Bannerghatta road). Both have their own pros and cons leaving me confused.

My primary ask is for a complete education (theoretical with practical know how plus emphasis on physical activities too) and in this greenwood high scores more. My only worry is the distance for the main school (~14 kms) plus slightly higher fees. Any first hand reviews about either of these schools would be helpful.