Team-BHP - The School & College Admissions Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The School & College Admissions Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/71698-school-college-admissions-thread-73.html)

Hi, A few words from a person who is in class 10. I know both sides of the story so hear me out
I previously studied in Singapore until grade 4 and shifted to India for my sister's studies. After coming to India I was admitted in a CBSE school as there were only 2 schools which provided ICSE and No IB schools at all. Me being accustomed to IB and application based learning I could not deal with CBSE and the rote learning at all. My teachers were like you are from S'pore and all that why cant you learn here :Frustrati I was fed up with this and I stood my ground and gave the teacher's a piece of my mind and told my parents very seriously that I will not go to that school anymore and I ended uo shifting to another school long story short I am still in the same school and have had the best experiences. My parents really do not emphasise on rote learning and want me to pursue subjects which I like and have never forced me or questioned me for not performing well in a subject. I am blessed to have such caring parents and teachers who can teach me in a way I understand, although there are short comings in every school my school is a tad better. Overall I would reccomend IB or IGSE syllabus. If not CBSE is good but it is oriented for people who just want to go with IIT, JEE and NEET. Just my two cents.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_skyliner (Post 5356191)
We recently switched from SSB to IGCSE board for our son who is in 4th Grade. Just in two weeks we observed that his whole attitude towards school and overall learning changed. He is now more eager to go to school and shares with us what all he learned in a very open and conceptual way.

It is still too early to conclude but we are already happy with our decision.

It's almost the end of this academic year and can confidently say that shifting our kid from SSB to IGCSE was one of our best decisions ever. We can clearly see the difference in our son's understanding of basics of science, maths and english. There is absolutely no rote learning and pressure to complete multiple pages of assignments without using one's brain.

Now, based on this experience we have decided to shift our younger one too to the same school.

One thing we observed is that changing the education pattern in 4th standard could be a little daunting for kids. Earlier the better. :thumbs up

Hi, quick question does anyone know of a good college for Inter and CLAT combined or any other law exam coaching combined colleges. Intermediate in the sense 10+2. Preferred state is AP and TS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayans80 (Post 5433506)
My daughter did IGCSE over the last 2 years and IB now. Its like a relative vacation in IB over IGCSE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 5434101)
My experience with IGCSE that I am extrapolating for IB:

A follow up question on IB Syllabus.

About to put my Kid in Grade 1 (PYP1) - IB for the next academic year. There seems to be a mis conception w.r.t language subject in IB, which I am not able to find out a proper answer.

The question is, in IB, will the kid get enough learning and exposure on how to read, write, speak (English and probably a second language) just like how someone in CSBSE, ICSE would be knowledgeable of. Because IB is a proponent of more of a practical and intellectual learning, wondering if the kid will get a proper and scientific learning of how to do basic reading/writing or will it be only a practical project work type of curriculum that he will be going through out with very little focus on reading and writing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by balenoed_ (Post 5503274)
A follow up question on IB Syllabus.

About to put my Kid in Grade 1 (PYP1) - IB for the next academic year. There seems to be a mis conception w.r.t language subject in IB, which I am not able to find out a proper answer.

The question is, in IB, will the kid get enough learning and exposure on how to read, write, speak (English and probably a second language) just like how someone in CSBSE, ICSE would be knowledgeable of. Because IB is a proponent of more of a practical and intellectual learning, wondering if the kid will get a proper and scientific learning of how to do basic reading/writing or will it be only a practical project work type of curriculum that he will be going through out with very little focus on reading and writing.

IB schools do have a facility for two languages English and mother tongue and also the language of the host country according to the IB website. To be fair the project learning for IB in english would actually accustom your kid to speak more fluently as english teachers are better in IB schools than CBSE. Any child can read and write in english but having a knock for communicating is something that I mostly see in IB school children. I will correct you though, your interpretation that CBSE and ICSE children are knowledgable in english is a blatant lie, just come to my school, a class 1 to 5 kid barely knows how to phrase a sentence and english and other languages are rote learnimg to them. The teachers are not any better I am sharing a picture below of a notes of a grade 3 student from my school, I think there is a problem with the primary teachers only which is a big issue but the secondary level teachers are better. The answer was given by the teacher on the board. Believe it or not it is true. So my advice would be stick to IB or IGCSE thats it. Dont worry about the language they are bound to be fluent speakers as IB kids are given more opportunities to learn and exoress their ideas and feelings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drivaholic@2727 (Post 5503158)
Hi, quick question does anyone know of a good college for Inter and CLAT combined or any other law exam coaching combined colleges. Intermediate in the sense 10+2. Preferred state is AP and TS.

Would appreciate if members answering this would also kindly throw light on such facilities available in Karnataka too.

Quote:

The question is, in IB, will the kid get enough learning and exposure on how to read, write, speak (English

Typical IB student will perform significantly better in English; in compared to Sate Board and CBSE .

To substantiate this, look at past 4- 5 years English question papers of 9th and 10th from these boards.

IB and IGCSE discourage "flowery" language and focus on language as an instrument to communicate ideas.

On more practical level; students who switch to state board / CBSE in 11th; can practically ignore English subject since 12th English is these boards is easier as compared to 10th English in IGCSE / IB.

E.g.: essay that is required in IB : https://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/...xampleA_en.pdf , Evaluation : https://xmltwo.ibo.org/publications/...eA_RPPF_en.pdf

Quote:

and probably a second language)

Second language is mandatory, however almost no one will pick Hindi / Marathi in Mumbai. Most students can't read / write the languages comfortably. They will pick French (most popular) / German / Spanish or Mandarin. Local languages are taught for namesake (exams are not conducted)

Hi, small question here, as you all probably know that CBSE offers many subjects in Class 11 and Automobiles as one of them, I would like to know if any Bhpian's or Bhpian's kids or relatives have opted for this subject. If yes who teaches/coaches them. Also if I do end up taking Automobiles as an optional subject are there any Bhpian's who can teach me the course. [ It's just basic Car repairs, Components, how to maintain your car etc. PS I already know some bare basic components. Also If I do take it will there be a practical exam as in like where you are handed a car which has a repair and you have to repair it. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drivaholic@2727 (Post 5508789)
CBSE offers many subjects in Class 11 and Automobiles as one of them....

CBSE offer that in theory... not in practise. To offer that :
  1. School will have to hire teachers to teach just 1 student [Not commercially feasible]
  2. School will have to "conduct" internal exams
  3. School will have to arrange a lab
  4. Regional CBSE office will have to "arrange" external examiner for practical exams

So, in reality only few subjects can be taught for which infrastructure already exists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 5509334)
CBSE offer that in theory... not in practise. To offer that :
  1. School will have to hire teachers to teach just 1 student [Not commercially feasible]
  2. School will have to "conduct" internal exams
  3. School will have to arrange a lab
  4. Regional CBSE office will have to "arrange" external examiner for practical exams

So, in reality only few subjects can be taught for which infrastructure already exists.

Thanks for your insight @netfreak. Such subjects are just a joke just like AI and Psychology offered in class 11. The internals are a joke they dont conduct them and just pass students eith flying colours. I think if CBSE does offer a subject then it is mandatory for them to arrange the exam even if it is juat for one student just like the EC does for one single voter in the Gir forest. The school doesnt have any specific teacher for AI too the teacher is the computer teacher himself. Anyways it was just a small query to check if such subjects are even being implemented as stated. I do understand that these subjects are not even offered in practical, heck I had to fight with my school management just to change from mathematics "Standard" to mathematics "Basic".

Hello everyone, I need your help. My son has now completed Jr. Kg. (LKG) in an English medium school attached with Maharashtra board. For the next academic year, we plan to change his school as admission to the current school was taken in emergency.

We have two options-
Option 1- A State grant Marathi medium school with a large student strength.
Option 2- An English medium CBSE school

Me and my wife have both completed schooling in Marathi schools and will be involved in his studies. We prefer option 1 as there will be less time commitment and therefore, we would be able to take him to extra-curricular activities and he can develop other hobbies. Options 2 is also a good school but is heavy on homework and other academic activities.

We are asking because many of our relatives have told us that studying in CBSE English school is necessary in colleges and he won't be capable enough for any competitive exams.

Advice and suggestions please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grosserimperial (Post 5519462)
Hello everyone, I need your help. My son has now completed Jr. Kg. (LKG) in an English medium school attached with Maharashtra board. For the next academic year, we plan to change his school as admission to the current school was taken in emergency.

We have two options-
Option 1- A State grant Marathi medium school with a large student strength.
Option 2- An English medium CBSE school

Me and my wife have both completed schooling in Marathi schools and will be involved in his studies. We prefer option 1 as there will be less time commitment and therefore, we would be able to take him to extra-curricular activities and he can develop other hobbies. Options 2 is also a good school but is heavy on homework and other academic activities.

We are asking because many of our relatives have told us that studying in CBSE English school is necessary in colleges and he won't be capable enough for any competitive exams.

Advice and suggestions please.

If the Marathi medium school practises spoken english strictly within the school then it may not be much of a problem, however if the medium of instruction in the school is purely Marathi and there is no english spoken within the school, then yes the child would face difficulties as and when the child comes out into the world outside of the school, not to mention the insecurities and complexes that the child would go through in an otherwise English dominant world .Also if tomorrow there is a need to shift to a non-marathi speaking location,then the child would be at a disadvantage as there would be no common language for the child to feel familiar with.My vote would be for the child to go to an English medium school and opt for Marathi as a second language (be it state board or cbse or icse or igcse ).You could also consider NIOS as you go up the ladder and thereby give your child the option to choose what he or she wants and concentrate only on those.All the above boards are given equal weightage.

Since you have an option to opt for a CBSE English medium school,that would be a better option.

Also please note CBSE is changing the curriculum and the way it approaches the whole education beginning this academic year.It is becoming a lot more child-friendly and child centric.You might want to read up on the NEP (new education policy) that CBSE is implementing https://cbseacademic.nic.in/web_mate...ess_of_NEP.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by grosserimperial (Post 5519462)
Options 2 is also a good school but is heavy on homework and other academic activities.

This is not quite true as far as I know. CBSE has issued circulars to the school regarding homework. IIRC there should be no homework till Class II, but as a workaround schools send worksheets to be done at home, but this is nothing much. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a school with a right mix of everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 5519492)
If the Marathi medium school practises spoken english strictly within the school then it may not be much of a problem, however if the medium of instruction in the school is purely Marathi and there is no english spoken within the school, then yes the child would face difficulties as and when the child comes out into the world outside of the school, not to mention the insecurities and complexes that the child would go through in an otherwise English dominant world .Also if tomorrow there is a need to shift to a non-marathi speaking location,then the child would be at a disadvantage as there would be no common language for the child to feel familiar with.My vote would be for the child to go to an English medium school and opt for Marathi as a second language (be it state board or cbse or icse or igcse ).You could also consider NIOS as you go up the ladder and thereby give your child the option to choose what he or she wants and concentrate only on those.All the above boards are given equal weightage.

Since you have an option to opt for a CBSE English medium school,that would be a better option.

Also please note CBSE is changing the curriculum and the way it approaches the whole education beginning this academic year.It is becoming a lot more child-friendly and child centric.You might want to read up on the NEP (new education policy) that CBSE is implementing https://cbseacademic.nic.in/web_mate...ess_of_NEP.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by d.w.w. (Post 5519603)
This is not quite true as far as I know. CBSE has issued circulars to the school regarding homework. IIRC there should be no homework till Class II, but as a workaround schools send worksheets to be done at home, but this is nothing much. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a school with a right mix of everything.

Thank you, members, for your advice. We are going ahead with Option 2, i.e., a CBSE English medium school. CBSE curriculum will help him be on the same level as other students and an English Medium school will help him in communication.

Once again thanks for your support, Team-BHP members.

Have a query but did not know where to post, this seems to be the closest thread I can think of.

I don’t have kids but my cousins and colleagues do. From multiple conversations, it seems the life of school going kids is so hectic now a days.

I have been told that kids as young as 7-8 years wake up at 5-6 am in the morning so that they can reach school in time and typically come back by 4 pm in the evening. In some cases or few days, there are tuition or hobby classes after school. Now this is not an isolated household I am taking about but observations across tier-1 and tier-2 cities with kids ranging from 6 years to 15 years old.

In every such conversation, I just cannot stop wondering on the stress level these kids are enduring. My childhood was no way half busy as this.

So what is the deal with school nowadays that makes it so different from what people of my age experienced in their school life (1990’s and early 2000). Or is my observation around the hectic schedules of school going kids wrong?