Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2017, 19:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Stand-up Comedy - Who's Your Favourite?

Reviving an old thread.

As far as stand-up comedy is concerned I watch only the Indian comedians mostly because their shows are very relatable.

My favourites in no particular order:

* Aravind SA ( Watch his Madrasi Da)

* Kenny Sebastian (This guy is just )

* Rohan Joshi and Tanmay Bhat ( In On air with AIB although it is not exactly stand-up comedy)
* Karthik Kumar

* Sorabh Pant

* Varun Thakur( Although the Vicky Malhotra part is not as funny)
* Russell Peters( He is the one that got me hooked to stand-up comedy. Red, White and Brown is my favourite show of his)
* Praveen Kumar
* Zakir Khan

* Abish Mathew

Watched my first ever live stand-up comedy today at Museum theatre, Egmore. Second decoction by Karthik Kumar. It was a laugh riot. The shows theme is "stuck in middle class", he totally lived up to my expectations having watched tons of his performance clips online. Bangalore guys definitely attend this show if possible, he is performing towards the end of June there.

The opening act was by a new stand-up comedian named Jegan, his views on weight loss and green tea was .

This was also his last performance in Chennai so the show was being taped to be released digitally.

Stand-up Comedy - Who's Your Favourite?-img_20170527_183715_335.jpg

Last edited by Shanksta : 27th May 2017 at 19:40.
Old 29th May 2017, 09:09   #62
BHPian

Thanks to Vir Das, there is now a spurt of stand up comedians in the Indian Circuit and you have rightly recognised the biggest names currently.

There is one guy you have missed though. Biswa kalyan rath has a distinct style and is enjoyable. I hope you enjoy the channel that i have included in the link.
Old 29th May 2017, 09:49   #63
BHPian

Check out Amit Tandon. This guy is really hilarious and is going places
Old 8th June 2017, 00:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
Thanks to Vir Das, there is now a spurt of stand up comedians in the Indian Circuit and you have rightly recognised the biggest names currently.

There is one guy you have missed though. Biswa kalyan rath has a distinct style and is enjoyable. I hope you enjoy the channel that i have included in the link.
He definitely does have a distinctive style and is funny in a whole new way.

A new favourite of mine is Baggy AKA Bharghav Ramakrishnan. He manages to keep you splits throughout his performance.

Alexander Babu is also another stand-up comedian who is coming up in a huge way. Baggy and Alex are famous for their Yogi and the bear shows.

Recently saw Azeem Banatwalla's Cometh the hour on Amazon prime, it is quite entertaining and some of his jokes hit the right spot and you find yourself rolling on the floor.

Also saw Neville Shah's What are you laughing at?. Here's the thing any stand-up comic that starts of by saying 'My mom recently passed away' kills the humour immediately, how can you laugh after knowing his mom passed away recently. His jokes do pick up after 20minutes but you just end up feeling for the guy.

Sapan Verma's Obcessive Comedic disorder is also hilarious.

Last edited by Shanksta : 8th June 2017 at 00:43.
Old 8th June 2017, 14:32   #65
BHPian

I love watching the various Indian stand ups comics who are available on Youtube. Russel Peters is the Man! Loved his various show. He did get a bit repetitive for a while, but his newer show are fresh and funny.

While i try not to have any particular favorites (I don't want to be biased! ), there are a few whose videos/clips i never miss. These are: Most of the EIC gang, esp Atul Khatri (i still laugh every time I see his segment on the India-Pakistan border), Karthik Kumar (i love his style. At time, a bit difficult for all to follow as he uses Tamil phrases/words, but nevertheless very enjoyable), Biswa Kalyan (one of the best stand up comedian from the East), Kenny Sebastian (always funny!).

Some of the others who have some really funny material but needs to have more videos in Youtube, are: Rajneesh Kapoor, Vikramjit Singh and Abhishek Upmanyu.
Old 22nd July 2017, 20:59   #66
BHPian

My favorite Kannada stand-up comedian is Gangavathi Pranesh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gangavathi_Pranesh

Hailing from Gangavathi in Koppal district of North Karnataka, most of his shows are interspersed with mild jibes delivered in typical North Karnataka dialect. His take on ladies watching endless soaps on TV and overprotecting the children in the name of safety is hilarious.

Many of his shows are available on Youtube. One such latest show:

Last edited by AltoLXI : 22nd July 2017 at 21:01.
Old 26th October 2017, 23:33   #67
BHPian

My favourite is Daniel Fernandez. The way he takes up many serious issues with a pinch of humour is sublime.

As we all love cars, here is a video of him talking about NCAP and safety in general. This is the best I have seen from any Indian stand-up comedian.

Old 27th October 2017, 01:12   #68
BHPian

Recently I have been binge watching old videos of George Carlin on youtube. He changed my outlook to stand up comedy, and how it can be used to highlight social and political issues.
Old 27th October 2017, 03:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

I am suprised no one has mentioned Kunal Kamra. The guy is pretty good especially the content. It has social commentry but done in comedy. I especially like these
"Agar pakistan nahin hota, to kya tu patriotic hota" Translation: If Pakistan did not exist, will you still be patriotic.
"JNU wale anti national hai, yeh desh ko girayenge.... yeh students hai, inka canteen mein udhaari chalta hai, isko koi bendu wada nahin de raha aur tere paas nuclear weapon hai"
Old 27th October 2017, 13:12   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
Recently saw Azeem Banatwalla's Cometh the hour on Amazon prime, it is quite entertaining and some of his jokes hit the right spot and you find yourself rolling on the floor.
Got bored of watching 5 min videos on YouTube and hence got hooked to the Amazon prime videos. Just search standup and there's a bunch of them. Needless to say, watched them all.
Stand-up Comedy - Who's Your Favourite?-1_editefsad1.jpg
Stand-up Comedy - Who's Your Favourite?-3_editdsded1.jpg

Apart from the names mentioned here among the English comics, there's Jim Carrey. Worth checking out if you haven't already.

If you enjoy some dark humour, do check out "The Stand NYC" YouTube channel for Roast battles. Crazy level of insults
Old 28th October 2017, 10:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

The new Jeff Dunham show was pretty good as well though i felt it was a bit short and rushed.
Old 4th June 2019, 22:49   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Chris Rock's got a new show on. Well, it's actually from 2018,but it just popped up.
It's called Tambourine, and it's available on Netflix. Brilliant stuff.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:53   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Chris Rock's got a new show on. Well, it's actually from 2018,but it just popped up.
It's called Tambourine, and it's available on Netflix. Brilliant stuff.
I had watched it, but somehow i feel him and dave chappelle sort of lost the edge. guess age does that to people

Kevin hart is a funny dude but needs better jokes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks