Team-BHP - Campa Cola still available?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Campa Cola still available? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/74070-campa-cola-still-available-5.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinukm (Post 2094847)
I remember having Bovento in 2002. Its a product of some Coimbatore based company. Apart from that they also have Ginger Beer etc. Not sure if it still survives.

They do. Both are now available widely in Tamilnadu. I just stack up my vehicle with Bovonto PET bottles as soon as I enter TN from Bangalore.

The company which manufactures them is called Kali Mark and they have bottling plants at multiple places in Tamilnadu.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanher (Post 1695934)
BTW, I thought it was Morarji Desai who'd banned Coke back then?

Nope, it was George Fernandez who kicked Coke out of the country.
Then they introduced 77 as a cola to replace Coke and assuage aggrieved persons like me.

Moraji was the PM then, and used to have his own 'home-made Cola' :uncontrol.

My class-mate in school took us to a free tour of his dad's Coca Cola factory in Cuttack in the early 70s. I missed Coke badly till it came back in the early 90s. But Campa and Thums Up really filled the void.

I still prefer Thums Up to Coke. Wish Campa was still around.

Wish it was !

My top favorite areated drinks are :-

1. Thumbs Up ( I never order Pepsi and Coke)

2. Gold Spot ( Sad its no more available). Miranda is nowhere close. Fanta is sugar water

3. Limca ( Fizzy and perfect thirst quencher). It is very tough to get Limca everywhere. I know a place in Hyderabad that sells Limca and actually stock this beverage at home. Alternatives like Sprite etc are so bad no words can explain my plight of their taste.

Brilliant thread, brings back memories.

Btw, anyone remember "Sipso"? It was an orange (ish) flavor drink, available in a pouch (pilaastik kee thhailee). I think it retailed for a buck. Great thirst quencher. It was available right outside our school. Colas and all aside, I still love the "kanche ki botal" aka "nimbu lemon" (LOL) aka "Bantey waali botal".

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 2097463)
Moraji was the PM then, and used to have his own 'home-made Cola' :uncontrol.

lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2097569)
3. Limca ( Fizzy and perfect thirst quencher). It is very tough to get Limca everywhere. I know a place in Hyderabad that sells Limca and actually stock this beverage at home. Alternatives like Sprite etc are so bad no words can explain my plight of their taste.

Mobike, here in the North Limca's availability isn't an issue. It's truly shocking to know that a city like Hyderabad has such issues for a famous brand.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk13 (Post 2097902)
Mobike, here in the North Limca's availability isn't an issue. It's truly shocking to know that a city like Hyderabad has such issues for a famous brand.

limca is available every where in Chandigarh and Punjab and Amritsar it available at rs 3-2 for a 300 ml bottle about 2 years back

I used to enjoy Limca during the 80's by adding a pinch of salt to it! This was what I used to drink along with my food whenever I visited small eateries, where the quality of drinking water can't be trusted. There was no mineral water those days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! (Post 1695298)
Thril, along with Sprint and Rush (or was it Crush?) was launched by McDowell's in the late 80s with the idea of using them for surrogate advertising. You must say it certainly beats playing cards or cut glasses.[...]

Sprint is Still Manufactured and is My Favourite drink even Today.It is Manufactured by Dual,Pulluvazhy(Perumbavoor,Cochin) Who are known for their set of soft drinks(forgot the names!) and Contract Manufacturing(for Manorama-Mr.Butlers etc).I think Sprint is Easily Available in Kerala.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 2094193)

The family that owned Campa Cola (Sardar Charanjeet Singh if I remember correctly, could be wrong though) also owns the hotel Le Meridien at Janpath apart from several other businesses in the Capital.

Yes you are right. Charanjeet Singh passed away many years ago. He was a good friend of the author Kushwant Singh who mentions him in his autobiography. He mentions he used to give Mont Blanc pens out as gifts and had a Rolls Royce in the 80's etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantom76 (Post 2097260)
They do. Both are now available widely in Tamilnadu. I just stack up my vehicle with Bovonto PET bottles as soon as I enter TN from Bangalore.

The company which manufactures them is called Kali Mark and they have bottling plants at multiple places in Tamilnadu.

I remember Kali Cola sold in Tamilnadu long back. Is it available even today?

Following may interest some of you fellow soft drink enthusiasts.

Bovonto Cola - Brands Of Cola

Campa Cola - Brands Of Cola

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk13 (Post 2097024)
The cans and tonic bottles are very popular here. But I miss the Lemon Schweppes, it tasted refreshingly good. Tangy Lemon!

tsk that is what the lemonade is just go to Bansal store or Defence store in the Defence colony market and they are available there. A little further away at INA market you can get it in cartloads.

Quote:

Thanks for info, Khoj. Your handle suits you, very informative. I think you meant Rama Road,

Rama Road is correct.

Quote:

Khoj, I'm shocked to know that Campa was way ahead of its times.

Khoj, is the CP plant still there? Moreover, can you shed more light on the exact location?

It was the owner's mind set that was far ahead of his time.
The CP plant was on the same road as Shankar market. From outer circle you take a left over Shankar market and proceed down approx 300 mts and as you go past Mayur Bhavan (Income tax office)on your right, Shankar market ends and shares its boundry with the lot of the erstwhile CC plant. The road itself would go down the length of the plant then turn right along the building to turn left, left and right again and proceed further towards Bengali market well known for Nathus & Bengali Sweets. I believe they pulled down the structure or altered it for redevelopment

Quote:

Campa is still there but with different owners and limited availability. In this thread, there is a link posted which talks of new owners, Satya Beverages and where it is available in Delhi.

Quote:

The 'Marble' aka 'Banta' is easily available now. Prince Paan Corner in M-Block Market, Greater Kailash-1 is known for his Nimbu Masala drinks.

Arrey yaar kya yaad kara diya. Prince ka meetha frozen paan at 1.00 am and bottled water ke golgappe anytime during the day are to die for. Good thing that I will be driving back to Delhi later this month.:)

Quote:

Quote:

tsk business opportunity right there!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by manikjeet (Post 2097939)
limca is available every where in Chandigarh and Punjab and Amritsar it available at rs 3-2 for a 300 ml bottle about 2 years back

CORRECTION at Rs3 a bottle huge business opportunity!!!!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman (Post 2098191)
Yes you are right. Charanjeet Singh passed away many years ago. He was a good friend of the author Kushwant Singh who mentions him in his autobiography. He mentions he used to give Mont Blanc pens out as gifts and had a Rolls Royce in the 80's etc.

Yaara Dildara! Ab waisey log kahaan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman (Post 2098215)
Following may interest some of you fellow soft drink enthusiasts.

Bovonto Cola - Brands Of Cola

Campa Cola - Brands Of Cola

Thanks Bigman, informative writeup about Campa.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 2098333)
tsk that is what the lemonade is just go to Bansal store or Defence store in the Defence colony market and they are available there. A little further away at INA market you can get it in cartloads.

Shall check soon, thanks for the stores info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj
It was the owner's mind set that was far ahead of his time.

Inspirational.

Quote:

The CP plant was on the same road as Shankar market.

Thanks for the exact location. Shall check for this soon, CP's roads are driver friendly again.

Quote:

Arrey yaar kya yaad kara diya. Prince ka meetha frozen paan at 1.00 am and bottled water ke golgappe anytime during the day are to die for. Good thing that I will be driving back to Delhi later this month.:)

:)

Quote:

CORRECTION at Rs3 a bottle huge business opportunity!!!!:D

Coca Cola Amritsar bottlers have 2 shops just outside Sri Harmandir Sahib (The Golden Temple) selling 300ml glass bottles for Rs.5 ONLY for so many years. The last I had from them was in January this year for Rs.5. Crates keep on coming and going.

Quote:

Yaara Dildara! Ab waisey log kahaan.

True.

Quote:

Yes, even i am surprised, maybe other hyderabad folks can correct me if i am wrong. Wherever i ask for Limca i get a negative response.

Perhaps folks out here prefer the sugary sprite more than the Limca. if thats true, there is something seriously wrong with the palate of hydeez:D

P.S: I satiate my wish for Limca in office ( which is another place stock is always kept of 300ml bottles) as its freely available along with other popular sodas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2098596)
Perhaps folks out here prefer the sugary sprite more than the Limca. if thats true, there is something seriously wrong with the palate of hydeez:D

With the amount of chillies that go into a typical Hyderabadi Biryani, the need for sugar is a given:D

Try Limca with a pinch of salt. It cuts through the sugary taste and what you have is a very nice, clean tasting thirst quencher, the sticky after taste is completely eliminated. Be careful though as when you mix the salt with Limca or vice versa a copious amount of fizz is generated so add slowly and enjoy leisurely.