Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
I have seen the comments
but you have to remember these comments are coming from Open source fans. Do you expect them to critisize firefox all of sudden?
(I have been active on the website for long time)
besides most of the comments are RANTS nothing else ....
bottom line no matter how much secure your web browser is if the user is dumb he/she will be never secure
The point I am trying to make is that, IE being more popular, most of the attacks will be based on the IE platform. Which makes it sensible for us to use Firefox and/or Opera. Samjhe?

Regarding the rants, we are at version 6.x for IE. It is still 1.x for Firefox. For a free browser developed without the money and muscle of Microsoft, that is commendable. There are bound to be deficiencies with Firefox, but it will be easier and more attractive for a troblemaker to make IE specific code.

P.S. I am an OpenSource fan too. Primarily because I like my stuff free.
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:21   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Cool. Have never worked on Solaris. :( Like Linux. However most of the apps I use run best only on Windows. So I am stuck with it. After I upgrade my comp will go in for Linux. Solaris 10 on the Laptop. Hmmm ....
Yes. Sol 10 on laptop. Sol 10 is still in its nascent stage wrt the desktop environment, but most of the apps i use work well there. There are people in our company who have experimented extensively on this. Anyways, it is also a part of my job to be doing something like this. Otherwise also, if I had this oppurtunity, I would have experimented.

I surely will try Opera too and see how it works.
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The point I am trying to make is that, IE being more popular, most of the attacks will be based on the IE platform. Which makes it sensible for us to use Firefox and/or Opera. Samjhe?
the same point I am making between Firefox & IE

Firefox has LESS THAN 10% market share
IE has ALMOST 90% market share

still Firefox is attacked more
Imagine

Quote:
Regarding the rants, we are at version 6.x for IE. It is still 1.x for Firefox. For a free browser developed without the money and muscle of Microsoft, that is commendable. There are bound to be deficiencies with Firefox, but it will be easier and more attractive for a troblemaker to make IE specific code.
you can not use version numbers for comparision
Firefox is made to compete with IE 6
thats what they are advertising
so your version difference theory makes no sence
it would have made sence when FIREFOX WAS BUILT TO COMPETE with IE Version 1 but its not

Quote:
P.S. I am an OpenSource fan too. Primarily because I like my stuff free.
There are two types of Open source
1. Free as in speech (GPL liecence)
2. Free as in free beer (BSD liecence)

which one are you ?
I am not at all a fan of open source because the whole concept is flawed (but thats another topic for debate)
but I prefer BSD liecence cause thats where free REALLY MEANS FREE
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

You have a point there Adya, I must concede that. But the reason I am not too big a fan of IE is that it took MS a realllyyyyyyyy longgggggggg time to get a decent product up and running despite the giant they are. Is Firefox more bug free than IE? Maybe not. Is Firefox better than IE in terms of look and feel, speed and convenience? Definitely. Is it possible to refine Firefox to the extent that it is better than IE? Most definitely yes. Will I wait? Yes.

I like both types of free. But yeah I too prefer the free beer to free speech.
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

Adya, why dont you see trends? Browser statistics are always different for different surveyors. I have seen some surveys where IE users were less than 50% while Mozilla user had overtaken them. So, take these numbers with pinch of salt. Whether you like it or not, FireFox is increasing its numbers and eating into IE pie. Opera has its own constant fan following.

Coming back to Opera, I tried using it few times and everytime I got bugged with things like advt. bars or crashes :-( So I kept on falling back, earlier to Mozilla and now to FireFox.

@Rtech, about your FireFox being slow question. It is percieved so many times. You can render (display) the page before completing its download or you can choose to defer it till it downloads completely. Tweaks like these can make you feel that your browser is fast, but it is not really the case. There are few tweaks available to speed up your FireFox.
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not too big a fan of IE is that it took MS a realllyyyyyyyy longgggggggg time to get a decent product up and running despite the giant they are.
I was going through interview of one of the IE engineer some time ago
he said MS can get patch out in couple of days but they have to make sure about compatibility across all apps which takes a lot of time
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adya, why dont you see trends? Browser statistics are always different for different surveyors. I have seen some surveys where IE users were less than 50% while Mozilla user had overtaken them. So, take these numbers with pinch of salt. Whether you like it or not, FireFox is increasing its numbers and eating into IE pie. Opera has its own constant fan following.
I was generalizing statistics
which stats will you take?
from website visited by masses or a certain website visited by geeks?
I would take websites which masses visit

Quote:
Coming back to Opera, I tried using it few times and everytime I got bugged with things like advt. bars or crashes :-( So I kept on falling back, earlier to Mozilla and now to FireFox.
version 8.5 is completly free now & stability has also improved
give it a try

Last edited by adya33 : 22nd September 2005 at 15:02.
Old 22nd September 2005, 15:49   #38
BANNED

The reason IE has that market share is quite imminent, most Opera users set it to identify itself as IE for compatibility reasons, also IE is OS embedded.

Opera rules, was the first to bring in data pipelining, I would say the best browser just got better by becoming free.
Old 22nd September 2005, 16:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was generalizing statistics which stats will you take?
from website visited by masses or a certain website visited by geeks?
I would take websites which masses visit
Gurkha already explained the logic behind low numbers for non-IE browsers. But take even most MS biased survey and you will clearly see rise in popularity of Firefox and declining IE numbers over last 1-1.5 year. MS announced plans for new version of IE, further development for which was stopped, as it sees clear threat from FF.
Quote:
version 8.5 is completly free now & stability has also improved
give it a try
I'll try it for sure. Where can I find extensions for Opera? I somehow can't stick with Vanilla browser
Old 22nd September 2005, 16:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gurkha already explained the logic behind low numbers for non-IE browsers. But take even most MS biased survey and you will clearly see rise in popularity of Firefox and declining IE numbers over last 1-1.5 year. MS announced plans for new version of IE, further development for which was stopped, as it sees clear threat from FF.
have I ever denied the firefox popularity?

as for extentions
this is where Opera shines
YOU DON'T NEED EXTENTIONS because its already there
Opera even comes with Voice Integration

have a look at this while downloading opera
http://my.opera.com/community/promote/fans/links/

Last edited by adya33 : 22nd September 2005 at 16:56.
Old 22nd September 2005, 16:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
have I ever denied the firefox popularity?

as for extentions

have a look at this while downloading opera
http://my.opera.com/community/promote/fans/links/
Okay, so without extensions can you tell me how to switch proxies on Opera? I work with different clients, each of whom has a separate proxy setting on their network. With Firefox, I get the Switchproxy extension that allows me to move from one proxy to another with a mouseclick - I couldnt find something similar on Opera.

Again, Download Sorter on Firefox automatically sorts downloaded files into different folders based on the file extension. Cant find that on Opera.

The advantage of an open source effort is that you get solutions for most imaginable problems or issues. If you let the company do the thinking for you, you're pretty much stuck with what the vendor's development team can think of.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd September 2005 at 17:01.
Old 22nd September 2005, 17:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a free browser developed without the money and muscle of Microsoft, that is commendable.
I wouldnt say that, I believe the team behind Firefox is the same which built the Netscape & Mozilla browsers So they had everything readymade and just had to enhance :-) correct me if am wrong.
Old 22nd September 2005, 17:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
I wouldnt say that, I believe the team behind Firefox is the same which built the Netscape & Mozilla browsers So they had everything readymade and just had to enhance :-) correct me if am wrong.
I said money and muscle Techno. Not intellectual capability.
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is nice. But I like to choose extensions for specific features which are not there in vanilla browser. e.g. my favourites are BugMeNot, dictionary search, sessionsaver, bandwidth tester. I can bloat up my browser as much as I want, or I can strip it down to bare minimum. Anyway, I got to try my hands at new Opera. I wouldn't mind switching to it, if it turns out to be better.
Old 22nd September 2005, 20:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

I use opera and find it really good, loads very fast, damn quick and easy to use and has some good features like inbuilt RSS reader. I also use firefox, it takes time to load but has lots of extenions unlike Opera.

Most Viewed