Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2005, 21:59   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
That is nice. But I like to choose extensions for specific features which are not there in vanilla browser. e.g. my favourites are BugMeNot, dictionary search, sessionsaver, bandwidth tester. I can bloat up my browser as much as I want, or I can strip it down to bare minimum. Anyway, I got to try my hands at new Opera. I wouldn't mind switching to it, if it turns out to be better.

you can customize search engines in opera for whatever search engine you want
session sever built in File/sessions/.....
bandwidth tester shown in status bar can be customized to appear on toolbar too

Quote:
I wouldnt say that, I believe the team behind Firefox is the same which built the Netscape & Mozilla browsers So they had everything readymade and just had to enhance :-) correct me if am wrong.
Netscape 4.x code was completly rewritten for Mozilla suit (and Netscape 6)

Quote:
Okay, so without extensions can you tell me how to switch proxies on Opera?
Opera doesn't
I think it is in pipeline
but I found this one for you
http://hiproxy.com/
Old 22nd September 2005, 22:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
Opera doesn't
I think it is in pipeline
but I found this one for you
http://hiproxy.com/
I know, which is why I did not agree with your post that:

as for extentions
this is where Opera shines
YOU DON'T NEED EXTENTIONS because its already there
Opera even comes with Voice Integration

Being one of those who consciously avoid IE or any other MS product if possible (like MSN which I dont use), I have tried Opera but ultimately settled for Firefox. Almost all of Opera's features are available as extensions and then some...plus, it doesnt quite crash on you the way Opera used to.

LIke I said, lets see how this version is - I'd rather wait for others to check out because I'm quite happy with Firefox at the moment.
Old 22nd September 2005, 23:37   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I know, which is why I did not agree with your post that:

as for extentions
this is where Opera shines
YOU DON'T NEED EXTENTIONS because its already there
Opera even comes with Voice Integration

Being one of those who consciously avoid IE or any other MS product if possible (like MSN which I dont use), I have tried Opera but ultimately settled for Firefox. Almost all of Opera's features are available as extensions and then some...plus, it doesnt quite crash on you the way Opera used to.

LIke I said, lets see how this version is - I'd rather wait for others to check out because I'm quite happy with Firefox at the moment.
ok that was one of the examples if you want to go in details then plenty of such points can be made from both sides.
tehre needs to be generalization at some point
which i did
Old 23rd September 2005, 00:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you can customize search engines in opera for whatever search engine you want. session sever built in File/sessions/.....
bandwidth tester shown in status bar can be customized to appear on toolbar too
I was just quoting examples. There are hundreds of such extensions, which I often love to browse and pick up for my use. Just wondering, why can't they make Opera extensible like this? Or, may be there is some way which I don't know of.
Old 23rd September 2005, 00:50   #50
Senior - BHPian

@RX135:

go here for your BUG ME NOT functionality in Opera
http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons#various
Old 23rd September 2005, 00:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Aditya! I'll try my hands on new Opera for few days. Let's see if it can keep me away from FireFox.
Old 10th October 2005, 22:27   #52
Senior - BHPian

given a try

I have given an honest try to Mozilla Firefox latest for about two weeks & here are my observations

The good
It does the things Internet Explorer way rather than trying to impliment its own ways (convinient)
The plugin install dialog is way more convinient
I like the way feeds menus are displayed as bookmark folder
When installed it imported all my bookmarks, settings & even cookies with just one click - awsom
Since firefox is no #2 web browser most websites work with it (for two weeks haven't used user agent)
Allow pop-ups from cetain website option is available

The bad
Every time extension or themes are installed you have to restart web browser
Default download location set to desktop
here is my big concern after downloading exe & then opening it gives you message telling about risks involved & it has a option of disabling this notification
Smooth scrolling doesn't mean smooth
Although Tab browsing is advertised as Firefox's main feature it isn't displayed on navigation bar by default
Navigating through history is slower compared to Opera (1.5Beta2 solves this problem)

Outcome
Once setting up Opera is damn good
Lazy people like me would appreciate Firefox

so at the end of the day
IE will still remain my default web browser with Firefox icon in my quick launch bar (at least for now)

using latest stable version of Firefox downloaded from www.getfirefox.com

user agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050919 Firefox/1.0.7
Old 10th October 2005, 23:10   #53
Senior - BHPian

I am a pure MS techie. Every s/w I use is MS. I earn my bread and butter on MS Technologies. I wish to see MS Windows logo raising in the east tomorrow morning....:lol
Old 11th October 2005, 01:20   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bad
Every time extension or themes are installed you have to restart web browser
Default download location set to desktop
here is my big concern after downloading exe & then opening it gives you message telling about risks involved & it has a option of disabling this notification
Although Tab browsing is advertised as Firefox's main feature it isn't displayed on navigation bar by default
1. How many times do you install extensions or themes?

2. Default location for downloads can be set to any place on your PC using preferences and one would imagine that the first thing a user does is customise the preferences.

3. Doesnt Firefox open in tabbed mode by default?
Old 11th October 2005, 07:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
1. How many times do you install extensions or themes?

2. Default location for downloads can be set to any place on your PC using preferences and one would imagine that the first thing a user does is customise the preferences.

3. Doesnt Firefox open in tabbed mode by default?
answers
1. pretty often atleast themes
with every new release rolling out every other week extensions are broekn & have to reinstall them

2. I know it can be set to but by default it should ask users & not download on desktop itself

3. nope, as far as I remember "force to open windows in" option is set to "the most recent window/tab"
Old 11th October 2005, 10:03   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Dudes, need your help.

As a long time Opera fan, I just upgraded to the latest version while doing a clean install of my computer.

Problems!! Its too slow in scrolling up and down pages. Any suggestions, or should I just revert back to the old (but advertisement laden) pages

GTO
Old 11th October 2005, 10:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Dudes, need your help.

As a long time Opera fan, I just upgraded to the latest version while doing a clean install of my computer.

Problems!! Its too slow in scrolling up and down pages. Any suggestions, or should I just revert back to the old (but advertisement laden) pages

GTO
I have sent you PM (message too short I don't care)
Old 11th October 2005, 10:49   #58
Team-BHP Support

Tried Opera for 2 weeks. It was OK, but I don't see any real advantages over Firefox. And since I'm used to firefox, I guess I'll stick with that.

Only thing I don't like about firefox is the inability to resume downloads.
Old 11th October 2005, 11:34   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Tried Opera for 2 weeks. It was OK, but I don't see any real advantages over Firefox. And since I'm used to firefox, I guess I'll stick with that.

Only thing I don't like about firefox is the inability to resume downloads.
Hey Rtech I'm trying out the Firefox 1.5 Beta version - its quite good, give it a shot.
Old 11th October 2005, 11:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Opera for quite a few days now. Not used any other browser. The only issue that I have faced with Opera (and Firefox) is that they do not open to my official mail server as it is heavy on MS stuff (oh how I hate MS. Sorry Satish. And Adya). So it is the official mail on IE, everything else on Opera. The only grouse I have had on Opera vis-a-vis Firefox is that I cannot drag a link to a tab. In Firefox, I could drag a link to either a tab or to the tab lane and voila, there was my new page.

GTO, this is a problem for a few days I think. Had the same problem - got resolved on its own.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks