Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2010, 23:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I have been to every beach in chennai.
Probably you need to go to ECR beaches again, unless it has stopped now.

I have seen police patrol car loading couples from beach assuming all of them are hookers and clients, and talking to them in exactly the same tone and language. I distinctly remember a policeman saying "american college aaaa?" with a stick ready to hit them when told that they were just friends.
Old 21st January 2010, 00:22   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyaprakash View Post
I am in chennai for more than 30 years born & living here and i can honestly vouch that message made about chennai is absloutely wrong & i strongly condem it.

I have been to every beach in chennai and parks and only seen people behaving sencibly without crossing the line of decency but as u know there may be some isoloated cases and never once seen BIG BROTHER attitude by individuals but at the same time there is a strict policing for people who cross there limits in the public space.

At the same time as some one here pointed about enginerring colloges its true they have a strict rules which they enforce on the students & the primary aim is to make the students gain more marks & not to let them distract themselves into love or passion as every eng cologes in TN is a co-ed & i personally don't support this kind of attitude buy the eng colloges.
Can you please tell me what you think is the 'Line of decency'? What is meant by 'crossing the limits'? What do you mean by 'strict policing'? I don't know your definitions but do you think it is OK for the cops to use their Lathi, extorting money, threatening to take them to the police station (arresting them, in other words), asking for dad's number etc if they see a couple kissing in a public space?

I believe there is some law in India which prohibits "indecent behavior in public". So, it is important we define what indecent behavior means. (Not that I agree with such laws)

One more thing, if the views of the article are absolutely wrong, what do you mean by "as you know there may be isolated cases"? Should the scenes described in the article happen to every single couple for the article to hold weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Absolutely Satyaprakash!

This Article is blasphemous as it is highly irritating.

Well yeah, you get caught making out with your girlfriend in a parked car then god help you.

But holding hands and heads on shoulders don't attract any attention from the police (from the general public maybe).

Agreed that engineering colleges are taking this boy-girl divide too far, but that's the only problem as far as i can see.

At least it's not as bad as the

1) extremist nutjobs in J&K who flog couples on Valentines Day

2) Shiv Sena in Maharashtra (how far they take moral policing, i'm not sure, maybe Mumbaikar Tbhpians can clear that up)

3) Ram Sena attacking hapless girls at a pub for being 'morally deviant'

So for those who have bought in to the article, please understand that it's just random musings of someone who hasn't even lived in Chennai
OK, it seems you are irritated that Chennai is wrongly depicted as one of the worst cities in India when it comes to moral policing. I don't know and I don't care. My question to you is, what do you mean by 'making out with a girlfriend'? Sex, Kissing, Cuddling? Why should 'God help them'? So, you are OK with the punishment meted out to them if they are caught kissing in their own car?
Old 28th January 2010, 23:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

[quote=//M;1686586]Its not only just about Chennai. Its about the whole Tamil Nadu specially the southern part. I study in an engineering college in Madurai and the rules of my college strictly state that no usage of mobile phones should be done (if caught a fine of Rs.4000 must be paid even if your phone costs 1000 bucks), only formal shirt and trousers for boys and salwar suit for girls

Hi desperate Guy,

You are right. Madurai is behind a century. I do agree all your points. It is difficult to change the people even in a century. But one thing I wonder is that how did you reach to Madurai for studies from North. Was it any special reason to go there. Why did you not with BITS or KIIT or IIT in Kanpur etc and reached Madurai. Where you not told and got a bond by the college authorities. You could have escaped at that time rather than complaining now. I do agree that these people are not good in Spoken English but they score better and they too get placed. How does it happen. I lived 30 years in the North I know the difference is like everest and the foot hills. I adjusted with all and it is better you too adjust to get something you intend to get in Maduari.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks