Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2014, 18:31   #121
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Autism Thread

Not sure whether this news item is true, but I am putting it out there anyway. It is pretty sensational though.

http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/mit...utism-by-2025/
Old 30th December 2014, 11:14   #122
BHPian

Thanks for the post Samurai.

Surprisingly the US govt doesn't seems to be doing anything to control the GMO foods. The autistic kids that I have seen in USA is atleast 95% more than what I saw in any other country including India. I believe in the findings, hope some actions will be taken soon.

Last edited by GTO : 14th January 2015 at 14:27. Reason: Typo
Old 19th February 2015, 16:29   #123
Team-BHP Support

Tips for parents to have a normal life with autistic kids.

http://goo.gl/0mhuhX

Last edited by Samurai : 19th February 2015 at 16:32.
Old 27th February 2015, 19:41   #124
BHPian

I have not read through the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been posted before. Intention is to pass on info that may help.

Apparently has helped a lot of kids in the U.S. Helps autism, dyslexia, learning disabilities, Alzheimer's, etc.

Nothing other than "baski" done by Tamilians in front of Lord Ganesha.

There are many videos on the topic on Youtube.
Old 27th February 2015, 19:48   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Nothing other than "baski" done by Tamilians in front of Lord Ganesha.
Not just Tamilians, it is a traditional exercise practiced all over India, called by the same name.

Yes, seen this long back. Even taught our son to do it. In fact, in my school days we were made to do baski as punishment. Turns out it was not a punishment at all, but a brain exercise.
Old 27th February 2015, 20:10   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even taught our son to do it.
Did it help any? If it did, I'd like to pass it on to as many people as I can.
Old 27th February 2015, 20:19   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Samurai : .. it is a traditional exercise practiced all over India, called by the same name.

.. in my school days we were made to do baski as punishment. Turns out it was not a punishment at all, but a brain exercise.
+1.
Added step - holding one's ears (often opposite grip - left hand holds right ear & vice-versa).

There's many such things in traditional "treatment" which are disguised as punishments / practices. Just that we often don't know the reason.
Old 27th February 2015, 20:31   #128
Team-BHP Support

Well, since we don't do this in controlled condition, it is hard to say for sure. Autism parents often do many things together, so it is hard so say which had more impact or no impact.

Between ABA therapy, speech therapy, ayurvedic supplements, oil massages, baski, occupational therapy, playing on iPad & mingling with normal kids, multiple gods his grandmothers are praying to, if you ask me which one is making how much difference, I really don't know.

Still, my wife is a statistician, so she tries to make some sense out of all this by stopping one item at a time to see whether it makes any difference. If not, we get rid of it. That is how we were able to stop many ineffective types of treatment, while retaining things that seem to make a positive difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
+1.
Added step - holding one's ears (often opposite grip - left hand holds right ear & vice-versa).
We always do it opposite grip, the same side grip puts no pressure.

Last edited by Samurai : 27th February 2015 at 20:32.
Old 28th February 2015, 11:37   #129
BHPian

Thanks.

In the video it says to breathe in while going down / squatting, and exhale while coming up. I have to believe that this makes a big difference. As a kid, when we were told to do baskis, I never paid attention to the breathing part.
Old 28th February 2015, 12:10   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
In the video it says to breathe in while going down / squatting, and exhale while coming up. I have to believe that this makes a big difference. As a kid, when we were told to do baskis, I never paid attention to the breathing part.
As a fitness nut I know this part too well. It is exhale while exerting any kind of pressure, and inhale when you preparing for it. In case of pushup or squat, pressure is exerted when pushing up or coming up, so it exhale while coming up, and inhale while dropping back to ground. Not really new information if you into any kind of fitness training.

If you have to push a car or any such large object, notice your breathing. You will inhale big and then automatically exhale as you exert pressure. The doctor is telling what we subconsciously do most of the time.
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:37   #131
Team-BHP Support

Another stunning Autism cure myth, this one is quite dangerous.

http://www.vice.com/read/parents-are...-of-autism-311
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:27   #132
Senior - BHPian

A super-nani in real life:

http://www.mid-day.com/articles/worl...ndson/16107195

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 8th April 2015, 20:49   #133
Team-BHP Support

When our kid was first diagnosed with autism, we read up all kind of materials on the web. Then we bought a book that was most popular on this subject.

Callous Disregard: Autism and Vaccines: The Truth Behind a Tragedy
by Andrew J. Wakefield (Author), Jenny McCarthy (Foreword)

So we thought MMR vaccine must have caused the autism. But over years we found out otherwise. In fact, it turned out Jenny McCarthy's son was not even autistic. Mr.Wakefield's research was based on fudged data. However, it hasn't stopped Baywatch babe Jenny McCarthy from her continued anti-vaccine crusade.

Therefore, never skimp on vaccinating your child based the garbage spewed by the pseudo-scientific charlatans. There is zero proof that vaccine causes autism.

Here is a very important interview with an authority on pediatric medicine.

http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/t...about-vaccines
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2015, 12:12   #134
BHPian

I had read somewhere that Stem cell therapy is helpful in curing / reducing Autism. Anyone has any information about it ?
Old 13th April 2015, 12:32   #135
Team-BHP Support

Look at this post from 2010. After that we have come across 3 more cases among acquaintances who opted for stem cell therapy. In one case it was absolutely against advice by one of the best stem cell expert. In all cases, there was no positive gain that could attributed to solely to stem cell therapy.

There is no proof of stem cell therapy ever curing autism. But there are enough dishonest doctors peddling it and enough desperate autism parents opting for it. When a medical condition has no known cure, every alternative treatment system including religion offers hope. And hope is not the same as cure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks