Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2020, 18:42   #181
BHPian

Re: The Autism Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
HRBR center. Some times when trainer changes, his progress gets affected. But overall our experience has been positive.
Thanks for all the info and good to know about his progress. By the way I don't see the thanks button.

I forgot to ask you which school does he go to? Is it an inclusive school.

Last edited by sreejinair : 3rd January 2020 at 19:10.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2021, 11:24   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When he was 3, a famous neurologist in Bangalore told us he will never speak. He did have random words, but he would never use them to speak. So at first BMI taught him sign language, which he used to communicate. After he turned 8, he started using words to communicate along with the signs. Now he uses words alone, sign is rarely used. He can recite some nursery rhymes from memory now. He can say his name, parent's names and our home address, etc.
Sign language is in the past. He doesn't use them at all. Now he is fully verbal, but typically uses one or two word in every conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I forgot to ask you which school does he go to? Is it an inclusive school.
He has never been to school.

Pandemic had a crippling affect on his progress for over 1.5 years, when in-person therapy had to be suspended. Now most parents know how ineffective online teaching is for younger children, say below 5 years. Children can ignore the teacher very easily. Autistic kids fall into the same category, and in their case it is even worse. He had 2 hours of skype based therapy everyday, which meant one person had to stand behind him to enforce his attention to the therapist on screen. The in-person therapy resumed only in October this year, when the government removed the restriction. If omicron starts raging, we will be back in the same soup.

In addition, pandemic started when he had just turned teenager and all the hormonals changes that comes with it. None of the usual coping techniques with regular teens could be used here. So we had some horrible times with it. Right now we are using a cocktail of ayurvedic medicines to keep him calm.

So when I saw this marijuana based treatment for autistic kids, it gave hope. Lots of folks in the comment sections are vouching for the effectiveness. However, the legality of that in India is still very iffy.

Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 22:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading an article about autistic savants several years back.

Have any of you noticed extra-ordinary gifts or talents is your kids?

Please forgive me if I have asked something inappropriate.
Old 9th April 2022, 07:34   #184
Senior - BHPian

Have been hearing bits and pieces about an autism centric Kannada movie called Varnapatala. The movie has now been released and is getting good reviews. I have not seen it yet; but here’s what Kannadaprabha has to say about the movie.
Attached Thumbnails
The Autism Thread-b081d468d9a64b149058c05a4549dfd7.jpeg  

Old 9th April 2022, 09:42   #185
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Sign language is in the past. He doesn't use them at all. Now he is fully verbal, but typically uses one or two word in every conversation.

He has never been to school.
my kid is 3.5 yrs old and was also diagnosed with ASD, after searching and getting tests from multiple places we finally settled on spastics society, would you recommend this place?

i saw the behaviormomentum website per your recommendation but it says they use ABA which we do not want to use. if you are comfortable i can message you details as well( if this is allowed).

Thanks!
Old 9th April 2022, 11:26   #186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by salluks View Post
i saw the behaviormomentum website per your recommendation but it says they use ABA which we do not want to use. if you are comfortable i can message you details as well( if this is allowed).

Thanks!
I have mailed you on your registered email, send the details via email.
Old 10th April 2022, 07:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But USA has a labeling syndrome.
I hope you don't mind me asking (I'm very new to the topic), would you consider the classification of Asperger's syndrome as 'high-functioning autism' another case of this? Thanks.
Old 10th April 2022, 09:17   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron178 View Post
I hope you don't mind me asking (I'm very new to the topic), would you consider the classification of Asperger's syndrome as 'high-functioning autism' another case of this? Thanks.
Yes, I had the chance to watch an aspy kid everyday for many years, he didn't talk until 6 years. He was guided very carefully even as a teenager. He finally did BS in electrical engineering (Rutgers Uni) and is now a working professional. Now you would only think he is a shy or introvert person.

Last edited by Samurai : 10th April 2022 at 09:19.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 15:45   #189
BHPian

How do I know if my child has autism?

I've twins (11 yrs) and one is a bit smarter than the other. The other kids who show some symptoms of autism are as follows:

1. He is not able to pay attention to his teacher in the class and doesn't remember what the teacher said in class, like what topics the teacher taught and what H/W is given that day.

2. He forgets what we (parents) told him a few minutes back. Eg my wife asks him to get sugar from the kitchen, he goes there but comes empty-handed with question about what was asked to him.

3. He gets bored too quickly with things, but when he is engaged is addicted to them.

4. He is mostly seen fiddling with his hands and legs, making repetitive knocking noises, repetitive dialogues, and constantly fingers his brother annoying him while sitting with him.

5. He knows we will scold him and give punishment, but still he will do a nuisance with his brother and other kids.

A few things that contradict autism nature are:

6. He has friends and he mingles and plays with them, he goes to parties and is very vocal.

7. He is good in studies, but as a 6th grader struggles to calculate things simply by multiplying/dividing numbers.

8. He is not hyperactive but active at home, watches kids' movies and shows, listens to the latest songs, and also enjoys them.

So, at times we think he is ok, but there are times we get worried by seeing his careless nature. What are the best indicators that would help us identify if he is autistic or not?

Thanks!
Old 13th April 2022, 19:38   #190
Team-BHP Support

Autism is a broad spectrum. It varies from very severe to very mild. The very mild often manifests as learning disability, ADHD, dyslexia, etc.

Your kid appears to have LD or ADHD, which lots of people do have. One can have normal life with that condition. You can have it diagnosed correctly by speech/behavior therapists. Lots of therapy options are available for it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 19:12   #191
Senior - BHPian

What is the procedure for getting an ASD diagnosis in India? What kind of professional should one start with? Sorry to bother you, most instructions available online don't seem to apply for India.

Last edited by ron178 : 5th August 2022 at 19:14.
Old 5th August 2022, 19:20   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry to bother you, most instructions available online don't seem to apply for India.
Well, most metros have Speech and Hearing Institutes where they can do the initial diagnosis.
Old 5th August 2022, 20:01   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, most metros have Speech and Hearing Institutes where they can do the initial diagnosis.
Thanks, will this also apply for an adult who has no speech/hearing-related difficulties?
Old 5th August 2022, 20:21   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks, will this also apply for an adult who has no speech/hearing-related difficulties?
Yes, they go much beyond just speech and hearing. They all deal with autism and other related issues.
Old 22nd November 2022, 20:47   #195
BHPian

I suspect that my son might be autistic. He is ~2.5 years old. His paediatrician has recommended us to consult Dr. Sameer Dalwai of “New Horizon Child Development Centre”.

Any feedback on him? Any other recommended doctors in Mumbai, esp. western suburbs or South Mumbai?

My wife and I are just bombarded with too much information, and are trying to chart the correct course of action. We’ve already enrolled him in speech and occupational therapy since last week, but don’t have complete faith in the centre yet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by mpthy : 22nd November 2022 at 20:48. Reason: Grammar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks