Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2010, 10:37   #61
Team-BHP Support

Recently we met a parent of an autistic kid who had tried all kind of treatments in USA. One of the treatment she mentioned was Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. As of now only two hospitals in India offer it, neither in Bangalore.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy India,Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment,Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Center Delhi,Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Delhi Ncr,India

Since the therapy involves 80 sessions over 45-60 days, one has to temporarily to move to the above cities.
Old 28th October 2010, 11:36   #62
Team-BHP Support

Did it work at all in their case?
Old 29th October 2010, 14:00   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Did it work at all in their case?
My wife wanted to answer this:

The child is about 12 now and seems fine in every way to me. His mom says his grades are low in school but other than that everything else is only a bad dream now! She had tried so many things that it’s hard to credit only HBOT. She says a 21-day Ayurveda treatment done at Kerala was life changing for her son. HBOT was the next best thing to happen to him.

Recently I also spoke to a parent who tried stem cell treatment. The results are mixed, his learning and verbal skills really shot up however he has also become violent with many behavioral issues. He was aggressive to start with but now it is no longer possible to keep him in school because of his unpredictable temper.
So please do your own due diligence, I’m just posting up the options.
Old 16th November 2010, 19:08   #64
Team-BHP Support

An update about our son from my wife.

It’s been seven months since we started homeopathy for my son. I don’t have miracles to report but along with therapy it has worked like any good medicine.
  1. My son has become compliant (he was very stubborn to start with)
  2. He no longer prefers to stay alone, in fact demands attention!
  3. Eye contact is good even with strangers
  4. At least in school he eats by himself with a spoon
  5. Likes to meet people, he readily gives a hug and a kiss
  6. Able to do eye-hand co-ordination activities as well as any kid
  7. Only recently he seems to understand sequence i.e., after I put his shoes he is ready by the door or when I remove his clothes he runs to the bathroom.
  8. He has also started pointing out to things or people when asked to show them. This must mean that he understands us and it has given me a lot of hope.

The docs/ therapists (grim people I must say) only see him as being nowhere near a 4 year old, ready with a list of all the things that are missing. Anyway for him, compared to where he was last year he has come a long way. We’ll chug along!

Last edited by Samurai : 16th November 2010 at 19:09.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2010, 19:26   #65
BHPian

^^^
HI Samurai
I think, boy is making tremendous progress .

I would suggest you not to read too much into doctor's suggestions. listen to them wrt to Medicines / therapy etc but let him develop his own behavior. Don;t enforce a kind of behavior onto him based on Doctors recommendations. let him be what he likes to be . that will help him develop more coupled with therapy / medicines . As he now listens and abide by your orders , always let him know what;s right and wrong.

In medical terms every habit of human species is a disease / disorder.

All the point's you have mentioned above in bold suggest a vast progress . I would suggest you to keep him in other kids company as much as possible. He will learn best from his peers.

In the End my best wishes for you and boy . God Bless you ..
Old 16th November 2010, 19:58   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
In medical terms every habit of human species is a disease / disorder.
perfect, I always wanted to say that.
Old 16th November 2010, 21:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Lots of positives there Samurai. Keep going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
ready with a list of all the things that are missing.
I hope this "should-be" list is not being discussed in your son's presence.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:31   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi Samurai,

Your son is 4 years old ? I guess you didnt mention it all along.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:38   #69
Team-BHP Support

I couldn't have told earlier, he turned 4 today.
Old 24th December 2010, 15:48   #70
BHPian

Re: The Autism Thread

We have a member who runs the 'Purti' centre in Delhi:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2185577
Old 24th December 2010, 15:58   #71
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyway for him, compared to where he was last year he has come a long way. We’ll chug along![/i]
This is all that matters. As long as he improves he will slowly but surely catch up with his peers.
Old 24th December 2010, 18:20   #72
BHPian

Samurai,

I am aware about your son's condition from your restoration thread, but never knew there is a complete thread on this.

Glad to see the progress of the kid and more importantly I must appreicate the efforts of you both.

Quote:
Relatives and friends often treat us with long faces and unhealthy amount of tch tch thrown our way. It is strange to find ourselves more cheerful than them.
I am experiencing the same from lot of friends and relatives about the sorry state of health condition of my parents. TRUE. We find us more cheerful than them. I tried to understand why they make all those signs when they come to see us. May be they feel that they should act upon such way according to the situation.

I dont intent to take this OT, but just want to give my best wishes to you and your family.
Old 15th January 2011, 00:09   #73
Team-BHP Support

My wife wanted to update this:

Today I met a parent with a six year old boy. The child was well behaved and verbal. So when his mom mentioned that he doesn’t go to a regular school I was taken aback. The child has psychomotor difficulties hence he has only been attending special schools.
I urged the mother to put him into a Montessori school (i.e. one where they follow the method, not the numerous ones which append the word to their name) with regular children. She was hesitant; she had approached a playschool 2-3 years back, but their attitude towards the child had turned her off. She never tried for normal schools again.
She was surprised to find out that Montessori Method was designed for children with psychomotor disabilities.
So I think this is worth a mention:

Quote:
THE MONTESSORI ELEMENTARY MATERIAL
“Maria Montessori was born in 1870, and she was the first woman ever granted a medical degree by an Italian university. As a child, she showed great ability in mathematics and originally intended to become an engineer. She did post- graduate work in psychiatry. At the age of 28, Montessori became directress of a tax-supported school for defective children. Working thirteen hours a day with the children, she developed materials and methods which allowed them to perform reasonably well on school problems previously considered far beyond their capacity. Her great triumph, in reality and in the newspapers, came when she presented children from mental institutions at the public examinations for primary certificates, which was as far as the average Italian ever went in formal education and her children passed the exam.
Typically, she drew from her experience the vigorous conclusion - that if these children could be brought to the academic levels reached by normal children, then there had to be something horribly wrong with the education of normal children. And so she moved on to the normal children of the slums. Thereafter, by her own desire and by public demand, she was an educator, not a medical doctor.”
Source: Read the ebook The Montessori elementary material by Maria Montessori
Old 15th January 2011, 04:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

@samurai, it is very heartening to know that your child is progressing and developing. I pray to God that he continues on this path of progress.
From my very limited knowledge on this topic, I hope I dont sound very selfish when I say that in this situation, it is not only him, but also the parents and other siblings who are affected. Each of you must be putting in superhuman efforts while caring for him, so you also need to ensure that you guys also get adequate mental stimulation and rest so that you can continue to care for him with the same dedication as before.
Your post here is an eye opener. I look forward to hearing further milestones in your childs progress.
Old 2nd February 2011, 02:05   #75
Senior - BHPian

Something for us parents and future parents. We need to know why so many vaccinations and what is coming through those needles.
Quote:
Countless children have developed autism and there is strong evidence that their
brains were injured by the preservative thimerosal.... Thousands of parents who
have experienced first-hand the consequences of vaccination, including autism,
are not looking for “something to blame.” They are begging other parents to
learn about the risks before they proceed.
An interesting perspective here:
Sherri Tenpenny -- Reasons to Just Say No to Vaccines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks