Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:35   #1
BHPian

Ration card in Bangalore

Hello,
Anyone here has a Ration Card? I know it sounds out-dated in the current scenario, but my father has been asking me to get one soon, since Ration card seems to be an important document for school admissions, proof of locality, etc.

I have the following queries on it:
1. Am i eligible for one? I heard in bangalore a ration card is issued to BPL (below poverty line) families only?
2. If iam eligible, how do i procure one?

Fellow-bangaloreans, who have successfully navigated the govt corridors and obtained this rare document, please help me out.

Thanks,
WR

Last edited by WindRide : 3rd May 2010 at 17:53.
Old 3rd May 2010, 17:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

imo, it is general rule that if your name is there in the family ration card, then you will have to get it deleted through rationing office (for which they will issue a deletion certificate) and with that alongwith a proof of residence and proof of income, one can apply for a new card in his/her own name. In every state, I believe there are APL/BPL level cards.
(In maharashtra I think it is low income/middle Income and High Income group and
in kerala it is Below poverty line/ Above poverty line. Believe Tamil Nadu also have similar category. Incase one's name is not included in the family ration card, then the proceedure to get a new ration card is not that easy (need to check with the concerned rationing authority).?
Old 3rd May 2010, 18:35   #3
BHPian

Good topic WindRide. It's not like only BPL gets Ration Card. Also, the process mentioned by nairrk is correct.
But the fact is: To get Ration Card in Bangalore is a real tough job specially if you are from other state. Also, since quite long time it's not been distributed that's what I heard from the person who assists in almost all things related to government babus.
Guys, please share your experience.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

If your name is in the ration card of your family, please get it deleted and obtain an acknowledgment for the same. Bring the acknowledgment to local office and submit it with a filled form (you will get the form at the office) along with an address proof. You should receive a letter from the office asking you to come for the card. When you go to the office, they will photograph you and take a thumb print and then issue a new ration card. This process takes mostly 15 days-1 month IIRC.

This was how I got my card. Although, this is not exactly a 'ration' card, it is very important, because cooking gas connections are issued only on producing a ration card. This can also be used as address proof, ID proof etc (same as voter's ID)

I'm not sure how it works for the inter-state transfers.
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:14   #5
BHPian

The procedure that I am currently following to get a Ration Card for myself and my wife is as follows. This is simple but can be a little time consuming depending on the specific office where you apply.

To apply for a Ration Card, follow the below steps:

1. Get your name deleted from your ration card in your native place (if applicable) and get a Surrender Certificate. For this, you have to visit the Food & Civil Supplies office in your native place. You need not go there personally - even your parents can do it on your behalf. If your name was never added to your family ration card, then approach the municipal office in your native place and get a letter certifying that you don't have a ration card there.

2. Based on your area of residence in Bangalore, approach the nearest Food & Civil Supplies office.

Karnataka Food & Civil Supplies Corporation Ltd offices:

Bangalore South:
No. 4, Opp To RNR Catering Services, 5th Mn Rd, Chamarajpet, Bangalore - 560018
Phone: +91-80-26613531

Bangalore East:
Corporation Bldg, Nr RBANMS College, St John's Rd, Bangalore - 560042
Phone: +91-80-25360750

Bangalore North:
No. 3, Nr Police Station, Vyalikaval Extension, 11th C Crs, Bangalore - 560003
Phone: +91-80-23445702

No.101, Bellary Rd, Ganganagar, Bangalore - 560032
Phone: +91-80-23332550

Bangalore Central:
Central Range Mohan Bldg, Opp Visveswaraiah Museum, Kasturba Rd, Bangalore - 560001
Phone: +91-80-22214431

Bangalore West:
No. 16/I, Vasanth Nagar, Miller Tank Bund Rd, Bangalore - 560052
Phone: +91-80-22260932, 22200660, 22260752, 22353423, 22096557

Commissioner's office, Dept. of Food & Civil Supplies
No. 8, Sahakari Bldg, Nr Chandrika Hotel, Cunningham Rd, Bangalore - 560052
Phone: +91-80-22262187, 22267205, 22264062
Email: bngfcs@kar.nic.in

If you're not sure, call them first to confirm which office your area of residence comes under (better to ask in Kannada, or get a localite to ask them).

3. Go to the appropriate office with the following documents:

- Copy of residence proof (such as rent agreement, BSNL phone bill, latest property tax paid receipt for own house in Bangalore, etc.)

- Copy of identity proof (such as Passport, PAN card, Driving License, etc.)

- Surrender Certificate from your native place, or the municipal letter

You need to pay Rs. 10 and get an application form. It will be in Kannada, but you may fill it in English too. So in case you don't know Kannada, get it filled by someone else or take a localite friend along. Fill it and submit it. If the officer asks you the purpose of applying, tell him it's for applying for a LPG connection.

4. Wait for the Food Inspector to come to your residence for inspection. This should happen in about a week or so. Note that for some people, the Ration Card is given on the spot without any inspection being conducted. So it seems to be on a case by case basis.

5. Once the inspection is done, call them again and ask when you should come to get the Ration Card. On the appointed date, go there and take your form from the person to whom you submitted it, and go to the computer room. There you need to pay Rs. 45 as charges for making the Ration Card. The operator will then enter your details into their software, take your picture with a webcam, and will give you an original color print-out of the Ration Card. You then need to go to another desk where a person will laminate it for you.

Here the process is complete. Things at the Food & Civil Supplies offices usually move fast (at least in the Chamrajpet office) and most of the officers are straightforward.

Souvik

Source for the information : www.VijayPadiyar.in

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2010 at 16:17. Reason: Please do NOT cut-copy-paste from other websites without providing due credit to the source
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

I got my card done at KFCSC office in Rajajinagar, near Bhashyam Circle.

I was not told anything about the inspection. I was just given an acknowledgment for the submitted form and later I got the letter.

In case you cannot fill the form, you can try asking the Xerox shops around the office. They generally fill out forms for the applicants for Rs.10
Old 3rd May 2010, 19:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is good info for getting you ration card.

In Bangalore the primary reason for Ration card is to get a Gas connection. For Proof of Identity you may have many other documents available with you.

Although , If this is only for a Gas connection, get it in your name at your Home town and then get it transferred to Bangalore, its much simpler.
Old 3rd May 2010, 22:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Lucky for me, when I applied for gas, the only requirement was the address proof and identity proof. Rental agreement and passport copy did the trick.

But now, yes, for LPG connection, ration card is required.

The other way is as Dadu mentioned, transfers.
Old 4th May 2010, 10:48   #9
BANNED

I wanted to share my experience here:

1. Going through the proper channel and it was pain and time consuming.

2. I have gone through an agent who charged Rs.2000/- for this and i got my Ration Card in under 5 days. The only thing i have given to him is money and the name of the persons who i wanted to include in the ration card and my residential address where i'm staying.

You won't be eligible for getting ration from the ration shop as this is only can use for as Address-proof.

Also find out your nearest ration shop location and its code as it will be helpful for the operator to find the correct one of your locality.

You will get a call from the agent for taking the picture and at that time make sure that you bring every one who wants the picture in the ration card. The husband & wife picture will be at the front of the Ration card.

At the time of taking picture you need to pass the tips to the person there (Rs.50 each)

Its weired that Karnataka still insist Ration Card for Gas connection. Earlier Tamilnadu was also insisting the same but not now.
Old 4th May 2010, 11:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

You won't be eligible for getting ration from the ration shop as this is only can use for as Address-proof.

Its weired that Karnataka still insist Ration Card for Gas connection. Earlier Tamilnadu was also insisting the same but not now.
I think, there are 2 types of Ration Card, in that one of them can be used for getting the Gas connection.

Usually the nearby Govt. School will have compain for Ration card once in a year or so. My friend got his ration card like this, but it was stamped as "Not for Gas Connection"

I also heard there is one Civil Supplies office near to Halasuru Police Station in Hudson Circle, which is the central point for Bangalorians to apply ration card. Not sure on this.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 4th May 2010, 12:26   #11
BHPian

Do surrender certificates expire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Its weired that Karnataka still insist Ration Card for Gas connection.
It actually depends on the situation. When I got my LPG connection in Bangalore, I had to 'bribe' the Government (in the name of 'Tatkal' connection) Rs. 4000/-, and got an immediate connection ( in those days one had to wait for ever otherwise), --- no need for a Ration Card!

Talking of which, I have my Ration Card surrender certificate from many years back. Does it have an expiry date or something? Just in case I need to get a Ration Card (for whatever reason), I wonder whether this will be accepted!
Old 4th May 2010, 21:07   #12
BHPian

Souvik - Thanks, i will follow the same.
Old 21st January 2011, 17:42   #13
BHPian

Furnish papers to keep your LPG tap on

Hi,
Important News for us Bangalore TBHPians, please follow up this news and action accordingly to avoid disconnection of your LPG supply.

Furnish papers to keep your LPG tap on
LPG refill only if you furnish ration card - The Times of India
Old 21st January 2011, 17:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ration card in Bangalore

So what happens if you don't have a ration card? So many people simply do not have it.
Old 21st January 2011, 17:55   #15
BANNED

Re: Ration card in Bangalore

Quote:
This is not applicable to citizens who don't have ration cards but have LPG Connection
Is this rule some sort of a joke? The more I think about the governance of this place the more screwed up I find it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks