Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2010, 22:54   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho View Post
By the way, I checked with a native speaker of English, an Indian-American friend whose wife's name is Preeti (he spells it that way, ) who said the 't' of Pree't'i and the 'th' of thing are the same. Not that it proves anything, but I wanted to put it out there
Yeah, it does prove something, --- that your friend didn't know what he was talking about, I'm afraid, his being a "native speaker of English" not withstanding! Is he of South Indian origin, by any chance?

Why go to an Indian-American? You claim to be in VA. You must receive 'thanks' millions of times from people all around you. Does the 'th' sound the same as the 't' in teen (3) to your ear? Wait, You've already given us the answer, I think (thin, thing, thaw). i.e. teen (3) and thin both sound the same to your ear!

This has been an eye opener to me. Never thought of the possibility that for whatever reason, some ears may not in fact be able to distinguish between the two sounds (the first ('ta') and the second ('tha') letters in the second 'ta' varga), and therein may lie the whole reason behind usages like 'Maruthi'.

Last edited by meerkat : 4th May 2010 at 22:56.
Old 4th May 2010, 23:03   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The way I see it, I use the second 'ta' only if there is a fairly strong 'h' sound.

If North Indians unequivocally use the second 'ta' for North, South, path, froth etc., I need to hand it to you guys, at least for your consistency

now that we understand the difference, this lack of a strong 'h' may explain why many of our south indian friends insist on 'kana kayega' instead of 'khana khayega'.

'h' seems to be a major pain point here.
here is another trivia. In tamilnadu, most of 'h' is converted to 'g'. so mahesh kumar often is pronounced as magesh kumar. I discussed it with a friend and he said how you are going to pronounce mahesh, you can't just make an 'h' (made a hissing noise) sound.

then I asked him, do you say 'gi' or 'gello' instead of 'hi' or 'hello'
Old 5th May 2010, 01:20   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Yeah, it does prove something, --- that your friend didn't know what he was talking about, I'm afraid, his being a "native speaker of English" not withstanding! Is he of South Indian origin, by any chance?
Punjabi.

Quote:
Why go to an Indian-American? You claim to be in VA. You must receive 'thanks' millions of times from people all around you. Does the 'th' sound the same as the 't' in teen (3) to your ear? Wait, You've already given us the answer, I think (thin, thing, thaw). i.e. teen (3) and thin both sound the same to your ear!
Post No 50. Sentence 2.

Quote:
This has been an eye opener to me. Never thought of the possibility that for whatever reason, some ears may not in fact be able to distinguish between the two sounds (the first ('ta') and the second ('tha') letters in the second 'ta' varga), and therein may lie the whole reason behind usages like 'Maruthi'.
If this is for me, where did I say I can't distinguish between 'ta' and 'tha' (of 2nd varga)
Old 5th May 2010, 18:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
where did I say I can't distinguish between 'ta' and 'tha' (of 2nd varga)
Okay, from one of your earlier posts:

Quote:
On the other hand, there are plenty of English words with 'th' which are pronounced like the 't' of Maruti.
When I'd asked for examples, you responded

Quote:
thin, thing, thaw
Did I somehow misinterpret the simple English?
Old 6th May 2010, 05:30   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, from one of your earlier posts:

When I'd asked for examples, you responded

Did I somehow misinterpret the simple English?

Sounds like a native English speaker to me. You really think the way she says 'th'ink is unambiguously the second 'tha' and cannot be the first 'ta' (of second varga)?
Old 6th May 2010, 21:13   #66
BHPian

So you finally chose someone on youtube as your authority, eh? Being a 'native English speaker' adds a godlike aura, I guess. Thankfully you didn't choose Geoff Boycott!

How about a source a little more authoritative, like:

Definition of thank you exclamation from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

So you've listened carefully, right? Thank you.

The 'th' really sounds like the 't' in Maruti, right?

Last edited by meerkat : 6th May 2010 at 21:18.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:38   #67
BHPian

Quote:
So you finally chose someone on Youtube as your authority, eh? Being a 'native English speaker' adds a godlike aura, I guess. Thankfully you didn't choose Geoff Boycott!

Definition of thank you exclamation from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

First, answer my question in the previous post.

That's the way people around me speak. So, you still accuse me of not being able to differentiate the ta and tha?
Old 6th May 2010, 21:39   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So you finally chose someone on Youtube as your authority, eh? Being a 'native English speaker' adds a godlike aura, I guess. Thankfully you didn't choose Geoff Boycott!

now that really depends on how we pronounce maruti/maruthi.
Old 8th May 2010, 14:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

The 'tha' as pronounced in North India is not available in English. Or for that matter neither does kha, jha and so on. What 'h' does to a vowel is make it soft. T as in teen is considered 'hard', and pronounced sharply and whereas in thanks with a 'H' makes it soft - these are called aspirated consonants, if am right.

Equivalent of hindi kha, tha, jha etc cannot be pronounced in English or by the western people, but the closest pronouciation would be the above. But that doesn't make the southern usage of 'tha' anyway incorrect since the pronounciation is anyway going to be the same

For clarity please check out the book 'The country that was India' by AL Bashim, where he takes pain to introduce the difference between ka and kha as pronounced in Sanskrit/Hindi - ends up saying that it will be very difficuilt to spot the difference for an untrained Western ear

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks