Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 09:56   #16
BHPian

Just came to know 2 of my far relatives have expired in the plane crash. They had gone to meet thier son abroad and were coming back to Mangalore.

Also came to know a lot of North Kerela passengers were on board.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very sad news to start the weekend.
The runaway was considered fine until this accident. Typical Indian way of management. This is where we need to do things, bigger and more than required.
The title needs a correction.

Last edited by srishiva : 22nd May 2010 at 10:30.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:36   #18
Team-BHP Support

Earlier there was only one short runway and only highly experienced pilots were supposed to fly to Mangalore. But now there is another runway, so I guess now they allow less experienced pilots.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:41   #19
BHPian

Woke up to this tragic news. My heart goes out to the families who have lost their near and dear. My brother lives in Kuwait and regularly uses this airport.
I hope we learn our lessons from this tragedy and make the airport safer in future.
Old 22nd May 2010, 10:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Damn!
May the departed souls rest in peace...
Hope the survived people recover well...
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:04   #21
BHPian

Shocking news early morning today, may all the departed soul RIP
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

I had plans of flying to Mangalore Bajpe Airport (22-05-2010) on my way to Kerala, somehow plans changed and I got tickets for 23rd morning to Cochin Nedumbassery Airport (AI-690). I am shocked and tensed after hearing about this incident.

May the departed souls RIP.

Pratheesh
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

i was shocked when i heard the news on tv.

May their souls rest in peace.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Very sad news to start the weekend.
The runaway was considered fine until this accident. Typical Indian way of management. This is where we need to do things, bigger and more than required.
The title needs a correction.
@srishiva, what's wrong with the title?

there's nothing wrong with the runway, the Serbian pilot was trying to land in the new runway which is fully capable to accommodate a B737-800.

Sadly, it seems that he overshot the runway by at least 2000 feet.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:37   #25
BHPian

Sad news to hear.

Heart felt condolences to the families and may souls RIP.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:38   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
It should be "Air India Express flight from Dubai ....".

I will be using the "report post" feature on this post, so that the mods get the idea.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

there's nothing wrong with the runway, the Serbian pilot was trying to land in the new runway which is fully capable to accommodate a B737-800.
The title should read Mangalore bound flight, shouldn't it?

An aviation expert on NDTV remarked that most runways have a 1000yard overshoot area but this runway did not. Hence, there is zero room for error while landing planes on this runway.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
An aviation expert on NDTV remarked that most runways have a 1000yard overshoot area but this runway did not. Hence, there is zero room for error while landing planes on this runway.
Looking at wikimapia bajpe airport, there is no scope for even 100 yard overshoot area.
Very sad accident.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Looking at wikimapia bajpe airport, there is no scope for even 100 yard overshoot area.
Very sad accident.
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sadly, it seems that he overshot the runway by at least 2000 feet.
The title reads "Dubai bound plane....." which means the plane was going to Dubai. The plane in fact came from Dubai. Therefore the title needs to be edited.

A lot of journalists have jumped at the fact that the pilot of the ill-fated plane was a Serbian. It does not matter whether he was Indian or Serbian or Russian or American or African. No pilot will intentionally crash a plane furthermore, no pilot is given command of a plane until he has flown several hundreds of hours on that type of aircraft and is competent to fly that type of aircraft. When one harps at the fact that he was not Indian the implication is that the crash would not have happened if the pilot was an Indian, certainly not right.

News reports and visuals show that Mangalore airport had/has rain and bad weather. Rain or thundershowers can muck up a landing due to poor visibility, sudden gusts of wind can play havoc with the plane.

I just went through the news channels and found the guy on Times lamblasting the AI official for not being briefed and prepared adequately for the press meet. Rather than the AI official, it was the journalists who were not prepared adequately. The AI official clearly stated that it is too early to pin-point the reason for the crash, this is true, no one has examined the wreckage or the systems, so no conclusions can be drawn. He also informed the journalists that there are regulatory authorities who are mandated to investigate the crash and pending their inquiry it would not be proper for him to comment or speculate on the reason for the crash. This is perfectly correct, if he comments on the possible reasons for the crash, he and AI can be taken to task by the national and international regulatory bodies. To a question on the help-line numbers - he held up the press note and told the reporter that all of the numbers were printed in that sheet. It is not necessary for him to read out the numbers unless the reporter(s) are incapable of reading. If the printed press note was not available in adequate numbers, the reporter should have said so instead of badgering the AI guy for the number.

I pray that the deceased rest in peace. My condolences to the bereaved families.

Last edited by Ravveendrra : 22nd May 2010 at 11:55.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks