Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 13:59   #106
Senior - BHPian

MSD - Its supposed to be orange - not this charred color!! Interesting.

Here are some more thoughts/theories:
Air India Express B738 crash! - Page 9 - PPRuNe Forums

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/4...ml#post5711196 has even more background info
Reading the responses on PPRune help clear up alot of background info

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th May 2010 at 14:00.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:43   #107
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
MSD - Its supposed to be orange - not this charred color!! Interesting.

Here are some more thoughts/theories:
Air India Express B738 crash! - Page 9 - PPRuNe Forums

Air India Express B738 crash! - Page 9 - PPRuNe Forums has even more background info
Reading the responses on PPRune help clear up alot of background info
What I heard this morning is that the pilot tried to do a touch and go according to the communication from ATC.

This is supposedly backed up by the thrust levers in forward position.

The plane allegedly carried at touch down roughly 5 tons of fuel, which is well above what it needs to carry by regulation, which didn't help.

Aslo it is said that the runway has no lighting at either end (because of the geographical conditions)

But from the communication it is unlikely that the pilot made a distress call.

The pilot supposedly landed 5 days earlier at Mangalore and he has done at least 19 landings before.

Civial aviation authorities are looking now into 2 more 737-800 incidents that might have a link leading to the three fatal crashes.

Aircraft safety and training might not be the bestaccording to the AI B777 trainer, but 10,000 hours of flying no Pilot would have survived especially repeatedly landing at places like Mangalore.

I am not sure about Mangalore, but usually at tricky airports a special license for landing is needed, which make sure that the pilot is aware of the added risks.

I know from Gatwick airport, which was once the second busiest airport in the world (although some time agao) running the operation on one runway, which was well above the capacity. ATS were repeatedly mentioning that they are being forced to have to short intervals between take offs and/or touch downs, which eventually would lead to disaster.

The dead pilot can't defend himself anymore, but it seems to be rather convenient to blame a dead person rather than finding the guilt ones that are alive.

Unlike the pilot who hasn't got to loose anything anymore the people who divulge themselves in their profit greed and carelessness when it comes to losses of lifes, they have to lose a lot.

Crashes like the on of flight IX812 will be only another one in the crash statistics till people realise that human error, technical error and all other errors are money related.

I personally have once grounded an aircraft once as a passenger, because it was not up to standards.

It is within reason in our hands to control safety. The lives lost have been lost in vane. We can't get them back, but we possibly can draw conclusions and force the carriers to increase safety and/or stand up for their carelessness and arrogance.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:56   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
I personally have once grounded an aircraft once as a passenger, because it was not up to standards.
Meaning you refused to fly (travel) in some plane? Where was it and what plane & airline?
With the recent crash, my fear of flying has increased. Statistics can't do anything to remove that feeling.

The Mangalore airport runway is only 1.6 Kms.. is that shorter than normal?

Last edited by clevermax : 28th May 2010 at 15:09.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:01   #109
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Meaning you refused to fly (travel) in some plane? Where was it and what plane & airline?

With the recent crash, my fear of flying has increased. Statistics can't do anything to remove that feeling.
I forced them to rectify the problem before the plane takes off.

It was a British Airways 757.
Old 28th May 2010, 15:06   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What problem? They were trying to operate an airplane with a defect?

Old 28th May 2010, 15:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:

Could you specify what the problem was?
Old 29th May 2010, 02:26   #112
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Could you specify what the problem was?
Cover over engine number 2 wasn't screwed down properly. I only saw it because of sitting down right next to it. It had some consequnces.
Old 29th May 2010, 10:18   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Heard that the passengers were NOT informed about landing, and no warnings were given to put on seat belts. How could that happen?
One passenger who escaped by jumping through the gap is believed to have said this.
that is hard to believe and besides i have personally seen that even after several announcements people dont fasten their seatbelts
Old 29th May 2010, 13:27   #114
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
that is hard to believe and besides i have personally seen that even after several announcements people dont fasten their seatbelts
I can't believe it either.

Did the passenger expect to be thrown out with a parachute rather than landing?
Old 29th May 2010, 14:04   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Read that they prolong the touchdown to make a smoother landing. But it is actually not safer than touching down at the right point as suggested by ILS but it will not be a smoother touch down, but considered to be safer.
Its all about coming in at the right speed.if he is fast he has to level of and bleed his speed before he touches down.

and fuel requirements vary .but basically it is fuel req + fuel req to alternate + extra depending on weather conditions.
and it is common to ferry fuel from a location where it is available cheaper

Last edited by revtech : 29th May 2010 at 14:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks