Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2010, 19:20   #61
Senior - BHPian

What a way to start the Saturday morning ? I am speechless!! Both me and wife are glued to youtube and news-website. This is real pathetic. May the souls RIP. Hard to believe such a safe jet is down to dust in a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
One report suggests the wing hit a tree!!!...now unless the aircraft veered from its path ...what is a tree doing close to a runway !!!
if the crash site is 10km from airport then I think the pilot may have tried to fly again (abort landing) when he realized he cant stop within the range. While in that process of throttle it didnt get that enough thrust (mind you the flaps are fully down after landing). Plus the runway length had no room for him to do so. then its wing might have slammed/brushed the trees. (my 2 cents experience from watching ACI )

Anyway the real cause will come out only after investigation.

Abhi
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Almost all the media is now saying that the tragedy happened due to Pilot's fault. Is AAI influencing the media?

Is the new runway just into 10 days of operation?
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
if the crash site is 10km from airport then I think the pilot may have tried to fly again (abort landing) when he realized he cant stop within the range. While in that process of throttle it didnt get that enough thrust (mind you the flaps are fully down after landing). Plus the runway length had no room for him to do so. then its wing might have slammed/brushed the trees.
I guess you are talking about a situation like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Commissioned on 10 May 2006. However, "Union minister of state for civil aviation Praful Patel announced on 15 May, 2010 that work order of extending the runway to the 9,000 ft would be issued soon."
Old 22nd May 2010, 20:45   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is my local Airport, the one I have used the most. So it is kind of spine chilling to hear this news.

The airport is on a hill, with valley on most sides. Once the aircraft overshot the runway, it would be coming down the valley and may have hit the wing on to a hillock.
Is the terrian like that everywhere in Mangalore? I wonder why they did't pick a better location to build an airport.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:12   #65
BHPian

horrible crash this :( praying for the departed souls to rest in peace.

going by what's being reported, it looks like pilot error? I do'nt want to speculate anything right now but just a thought, why attempt the landing if he knew he was going to land in the middle of the runway, esp if he knew it was a short one? it would've been a wiser choice to 'go-around' the moment he realized he was going to touchdown far ahead of where he was supposed to.

Last edited by raamki : 22nd May 2010 at 21:14.
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Oh God... It was a sobering moment when I first read about it. So much death... :(
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:43   #67
BHPian

here's a video link that shows the mangalore airport approach and the 'table-top' effect.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Courtesy: CNN.com
Old 22nd May 2010, 21:44   #68
BHPian

Very Sad! So many Kids. Cant they have nets at the end of the runways? or some sort of grab hook or something? Why not Chutes as a last min attempt? Drag cars have that!? Very Sad, all gone in a few secs. R.I.P. May God give their loved ones strength to go on.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:01   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Another brilliant piece of imaginative reporting from the media. No, I have been flying off the the new runaway for years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is the terrian like that everywhere in Mangalore? I wonder why they did't pick a better location to build an airport.
This is pretty old airport, not sure why they picked this place few decades back.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:26   #70
Senior - BHPian

Very sad news, i just reached mangalore from bangalore in the morning to hear this news first.
May the survivors of this tragedy get enough strength to get back to normal life.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:26   #71
Senior - BHPian

1) How come Media conclude it was driver error ? Any proof or data ? A popular news channel claimed that there was a tyre burst out. I dont this that is true.

2) The minister ( Praful Patel ) claimed that the runways is 1000 units short and expansion was going on or expansion of runway was about to be competed. If they knew that the runway is not long enough, why run flights ?
I am not sure if this news of short runway is true or not.

3) One news channel also showed some clips of some committee who studied the feasibility of having the airport where it currently is. The committee member said that it was clear no for an airport at such a place.

4) Even the External Affairs Minister claimed that " This was bound to happen one day ".

Really bad on our part. Right now at this point of time, people think that the pilots decided to go around, but their decision came in too late. May be its true, but we cannot say its Pilot error. I am sure that any pilot would do his best to save the plane and passengers.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 22nd May 2010 at 22:27.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:52   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Really bad on our part. Right now at this point of time, people think that the pilots decided to go around, but their decision came in too late. May be its true, but we cannot say its Pilot error. I am sure that any pilot would do his best to save the plane and passengers.
With 10k hrs of flying exp, am certain the Pilot did his best! one of the survivors believed the plane veered off course after a tyre had burst, possible.

I made that statement about landing in the middle of the runway after reading a related news piece on the web. now that both the recorders have been recovered, lets hope the investigators are able to piece together what went horribly wrong, and soon.
Old 22nd May 2010, 22:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

Be it Pilot error or not, the hasty claims by the ministry and the media that the accident occurred due to pilot error was totally uncalled for, at least after considering his flying hours. On the other hand, this is the safest reasoning they can give... anyway he is no more.
Old 23rd May 2010, 00:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

The airport staff would know if he did land in the middle of the runway or not. Anyway thats pure speculation and that too when he was on ILS. The loss of lives is tragic and may the souls RIP. Experience or not all it takes is one second of a miscalculation and thats it but lets not jump to conclusions until the report comes in.
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:00   #75
BHPian

Very sad incident. Read that a guy who was dead in the tragic incident actually traveling back to india to attend his father's funeral.

May all souls RIP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks