Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2015, 15:06   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
I intend starting some sort of charity for people suffering from asthma in Mumbai.
Hello, I don't have much knowledge of the actual procedure of setting up an NGO, getting it registered and other formalities, legal & governmental. However since you seem to want to get started on the actual cause quickly, why not start small? As someone with bronchitis myself, I found that most doctors would not hesitate to prescribe bronchodilators like Asthalin or steroidal inhalers like Seroflo etc which are not only very expensive but also come with side-effects like tremors and such. There are also very inexpensive medicines which typically act the same way without the overdose or extra cost.

Hence I think you should begin small, create awareness on natural causes of asthma like allergens, ambient pollution, weather (cold weather is the root cause 99 out of 100 times). There are many people susceptible to asthma bodily, but never feel it if they're in coastal cities because humid, moist air with natural sea salts act as great bronchodilators themselves. There are many things one can do to prevent breathing problems which can range from avoiding milk, learning yoga, exercise, keeping warm & natural homemade medicines like honey+ginger, boiled turmeric milk, raw garlic etc. Sugars & milk associated products are main triggers of breathing problems which will never be raised by the medical community as their job is to cure and not so much to prevent. Of course in severe cases indeed inhalers and/or antibiotics will be needed which are expensive.

I always felt greater awareness is needed about asthma without considering it a major illness. Mostly people will gain immunity by 20/21 and its symptoms will lessen to a vast extent, the rest should be controlled cleverly by lifestyle. Health is always holistic and poor quality air, food & water will do their bit to make such problems seem incurable, I began to understand all this by doing research since I was tired of the same old medicines issued by my doc. Over 50% asthma cases come to light when people change cities and their body cannot cope with sudden atmospheric differences. Maybe a combination of pamphlets, aligning with pre-existing asthma benefit organizations & funding medicines for the needy would be the best way to start.

Last edited by dark.knight : 11th November 2015 at 15:08.
Old 11th November 2015, 16:18   #47
BHPian

Alter.e.go, AFAIK, you will need to register this as a charitable trust so that you do not have the hassle of paying taxes on the donations made and all people who donate can get this tax exempted. You will need an account created and a company registered in the name of the charity. Talk to any lawyer who helps setting up companies and you should be okay.

For traction, social media is the best bet. Talk to the pharma companies who manufacture these drugs and try to partner with them. Or in this world of startups, try partnering with companies like 1mg as this will get them a lot of visibility and goodwill and then work your way forward.

Hi all
Just chanced upon this thread. I work with the Robin Hood army, a volunteer based organization that works to get surplus food from restaurants across to the less fortunate people in cities across Pakistan and India.

We are looking for volunteers and food partners (caterers/restaurants). If anyone is interested to join, send me a PM or register on the website and someone will contact you.

We will also be doing a bunch of blanket drives soon, in case you or your companies want to join.

Its not limited to Delhi and is open to anyone interested. We can work out the details later.

Thanks
Akshay
Old 31st July 2017, 14:28   #48

Team BHP Kolkata - Flood Relief

Dear Team Bhp Kolkata Members , you you all know about the prevailing flood situation in West Bengal , few members have been discussing about what we can do to contribute to people suffering from this devastating floods. Thousands of villagers are under water and people really need our help. Our members are in touch with the BDO of Ghatal and we are trying to find out their requirements so that we can do the needful. I request all Team Bhp members in Kolkata to come together for this urgent call for help. We are a brotherhood and lets help them. Thanks. Here are the contact numbers of some of our members. Dear Admin , sir , This is an urgent post and i might miss Team Bhp handles for most members.

P.S : We would require 4x4 vehicles with high ground clearances as most of the roads are under water.

Thanking you in adcance

Debarshi
(Cloudmobile_deb)

Last edited by GTO : 1st August 2017 at 11:21. Reason: Sorry, we cannot allow the public posting of the cellphone numbers of others
Old 26th March 2018, 18:09   #49
BHPian

About Initiative "Talk To Me!" - Help Improve English Language Skills in Children - Become a Mentor!

Hi fellow Bhpians,

I wanted to share my experience as a mentor on the TALK TO ME! initiative. A few months back, a close family friend got in touch and introduced me to this bunch of people.

TALK TO ME! is an initiative aimed at improving both conversational English and social skills of young people who have had limited exposure to a rapidly changing world. English fluency broadens their horizons so they are able to compete with confidence in an increasingly global environment.

Find Out More about TALK TO ME on their website.

My Experience as a Mentor
I have been putting some time in as a mentor over the last few months. This platform is particularly unique in the sense that a 1:1 ratio is maintained between mentors and mentees. And all the work is done over the phone (usually on Whatsapp calls). Generally, about 2 hours a week are spent by the mentor with the mentee, helping them along with their language fluency.
It's been an incredible experience so far, contributing positively to a young person's future, with very little time needed from my side. With the structured lesson plans, and the support system available via Group Heads, many of whom are established English teachers, TALK TO ME has been a learning experience for me as much as it has been for my mentee.

The interesting bit about TALK TO ME! is that it's not a regular NGO. Instead, its a group of like minded people working as volunteers together towards a common goal.

Want to Become a Mentor?
Currently, TTM is looking to recruit more volunteers who can become mentors to these young minds, helping shape their future, and the future of our society.

In case anyone is interested in applying as a mentor, they can reach TALK TO ME! on their website Contact Us Page (click the link) OR reach me via Private Message.

Feel free to reach me for Questions!

TALK TO ME!
Let's Talk English. Let's Talk Empowerment.
___

Cheers,
Sam
Old 6th June 2019, 19:34   #50
Team-BHP Support

Had first come across their website when the focus was just on education through play. Neat concept, and sounds fun.

Now they have a lot more initiatives.

Project KHEL
http://www.projectkhel.org/
Old 7th July 2019, 22:43   #51
BHPian

Calling the BHPians to the rescue

Hello all,
This will be my first thread on TBHP and I will try my best to maintain the standards of the forum. However, If I miss anything, or put up a thread which has room for improvement, do let me know. Learning is a life long process and I will love to be corrected.

A few days ago, I was using Facebook and came across a post shared by one of my friends who is a die hard animal lover. The post did leave a lasting impact on me and I could not get over it. I am an animal lover myself and always make sure to treat them the best I can.

We all are aware of the fact that there are many NGOs and individuals who work for a cause and help bringing a change in the society. In most cases, they are backed by reliable sources for money and depend heavily upon donations to manage their expenses.There are a category of NGOs who work for animal welfare. Similarly there are individuals working to bring a change on a smaller level. Some of them establish their own small NGOs, some decide to volunteer at animal shelters or other NGOs working for the same cause and some decide to help the animals in other smaller yet significant ways. Caring for animals is not an easy or cheap task and requires a lot of labour and expensive procedures to keep the animals in the best condition possible. The NGOs have a larger infrastructure and have a better exposure when it comes to advertising their efforts in order to get donations and other forms of help from the people. However, this may not be the case for the individuals as their efforts go largely unnoticed and thus, they have a limited access to resources and donations made by the people.

So coming back to the post, there was a lady, who goes by the name of Simmi Malhotra on FB and runs a small NGO called HELP AND HEAL ANIMAL TRUST in Delhi. Aware about the type of scams people indulge in nowadays, I decided to verify the authenticity of the post and finally it was confirmed that she is actually working really hard for dogs who are with her. I have attached the snip shots of the FB post along with my post.

In the due process, I came across many other NGOs and similar organisations who are working for a social cause.

I am sure that we all BHPians, as a community can bring in a huge change by helping such NGOs, individuals or other organisations working for any cause. Animal welfare, orphanage houses, shelters, etc are some of the areas where these organisations and individuals work very hard. I am sure that at our personal level, we all can help bring in a small change.

HOW can we help?
  • In form of money donations
  • Being a volunteer at such places
  • Sharing about these organisations on various whatsapp groups, Facebook groups or at any other platform where it gets a considerable amount of exposure.
  • Sharing the issue with the RWA of the society which in turn can bring up programs for donations where all the members of the residential area or society can come forward to help.
  • Sharing the idea at you office where the employees can come together and help in any form possible.
  • Help by putting up more ideas on how to help as I am running out of ideas.
Where can we help?

Any NGO across the globe but I will prefer if you pick up smaller NGOs and individuals as they are the ones who do not have stable sources for donations.
Make a google search and I am sure you will find plenty of such NGOs and individuals who need help.

Thanks
Regards
MrBeast
Attached Thumbnails
Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities-1.jpg  

Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities-2.jpg  

Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities-3.jpg  

Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities-4.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 4th November 2019, 09:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Would you like to participate in saving the lives of poor and deserving children :: Heart to Heart Foundation www.h2h.foundation

Dear BHPians,

In February this year, along with two close friends, I set up a charitable organization, to pay for expensive life saving surgery needed by children from poor families. We focus on one type of surgery - Congenital Heart Disease i.e. defects in the heart the child is born with. This is rampant in India - a disease of the poor - caused by, among other reasons, malnutrition of the expectant mother. ~250,000 children in India are born each year with this disorder and about 200,000+ die each year. Most do not survive into adulthood.

We are using the Tata Mumbai Marathon event to raise funds from retail donors. My foundation is called Heart to Heart Foundation www.h2h.foundation . On an average we sponsor 40 to 45 paediatric cardiac surgeries a month and have done around 350+ in the 8 months since we were formed. We treat kids of all religions and castes. The entire treatment including post operative care is fully free of cost to the parents. Our patients are treated in missionary/semi-charitable hospitals so that we get maximum mileage for each rupee spent.

The Tata Marathon link to my page is here https://www.unitedwaymumbai.org/tmm-fundraiser-12547 . If you feel so inclined please donate any sum you are comfortable with.

All amounts donated go straight to medical costs as all admin expenses of the organization are borne by the three founder trustees of whom I am one.

A surgery costs between Rs 85,000 and Rs 400,000. The average is about Rs 1.5 lakhs. These numbers are only for reference. Those sponsoring an entire surgery or half a surgery get details of the child their contribution touched.

Earlier this month we raised funds via the Delhi Airtel Half Marathon. One of the kids who ran was one of my first patients. His video is attached here.

I look forward to your support. Please feel free to ask questions.

Best wishes,

Vivek Narayan

V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 13:30   #53
Team-BHP Support

Just came across Make A Difference (https://makeadiff.in/)

They help give under-privileged youth the opportunity to reach middle class outcomes when they grow up (through education, community, etc).

Watch the video on their homepage - very nicely made & has some interactivity worked in too.
Old 5th November 2019, 13:57   #54
Team-BHP Support

Heart to Heart Foundation - www.h2h.foundation
  • Raises money to pay for expensive life saving surgery needed by children from poor families.
  • Focus on one type of surgery: Congenital Heart Disease i.e. defects in the heart the child is born with.
  • This is rampant in India - caused by, among other reasons, malnutrition of the expectant mother.
  • ~250,000 children in India are born each year with this disorder and about 200,000+ die each year. Most do not survive into adulthood.
  • On an average H2H sponsors 40 to 45 paediatric cardiac surgeries a month and has done around 350+ in the 8 months since they were formed.
  • The entire treatment including post operative care is fully free of cost to the parents.
Old 6th November 2019, 10:41   #55
BHPian

Folks - This is great thread. I must say some of the work that you guys are doing are awe inspiring. I am planning to start some work in this space early next year. The idea is to focus on education for children. For this, i am planning to start a Trust fund. Initially i am planning to touch my family members and once we gather momentum will expand it.

I need some advice on how to start a trust fund. What are the typical process, procedures that need to be taken into consideration, regsitrations, tax benefits etc. Please do let me know
Old 6th November 2019, 10:57   #56
BHPian

Recently I learned about SSSIHMS in Bangalore. It's not too far from my previous office in whitefield area.

Apparently, they perform free (to patients and their families) surgeries and offer various other medical services at no cost to the patients.

Quote:
Over the last 15 years, the Hospital has been successful in performing over 21,000 Neurosurgeries, 17,000 cardiac surgeries, over 46,000 diagnostic and interventional cardiac catheterizations and more than 10,40,000 outpatients have received outpatient consultations.
Leaving aside different proclivities people may have on the founder of the hospital, it is a stellar service. I have read quite a few reports on this - appears to be a good one.
Old 6th November 2019, 11:25   #57
BHPian

https://www.ishaoutreach.org/en/cauvery-calling

Help plant trees.
Old 9th December 2019, 19:20   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Heart to Heart Foundation - www.h2h.foundation
  • Raises money to pay for expensive life saving surgery needed by children from poor families.
  • Focus on one type of surgery: Congenital Heart Disease i.e. defects in the heart the child is born with.
  • This is rampant in India - caused by, among other reasons, malnutrition of the expectant mother.
  • ~250,000 children in India are born each year with this disorder and about 200,000+ die each year. Most do not survive into adulthood.
  • On an average H2H sponsors 40 to 45 paediatric cardiac surgeries a month and has done around 350+ in the 8 months since they were formed.
  • The entire treatment including post operative care is fully free of cost to the parents.
Dear Turbanator,

Thank you for fully sponsoring the paediatric cardiac surgery of one child. Gurienderjit Singh of Amritsar, son of a security guard and housewife underwent an open heart surgery that gave him a new life. His photo & details are in the pdf attached. Thank you Brother. Your generosity will enable this child to lead a normal healthy life. But for this surgery his chances of surviving beyond another 2 to 4 years were almost negligible.

You embody the phrase - The hands that help are holier than the lips that pray.

Warm regards & best wishes,

V.Narayan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Readers,

Those who wish to contribute can do so through the Tata Mumbai Marathon link to my page is here https://www.unitedwaymumbai.org/tmm-fundraiser-12547 . If you feel so inclined please donate any sum you are comfortable with.

All amounts donated go straight to medical costs as all admin expenses of the organization are borne by the three founder trustees of whom I am one.

A surgery costs between Rs 85,000 and Rs 400,000. The average is about Rs 1.5 lakhs. These numbers are only for reference. Those sponsoring an entire surgery or half a surgery get details of the child their contribution touched.

With best wishes to all,

V.Narayan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Premier- Gift of Life- Gurienderjit.pdf (225.4 KB, 115 views)
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 22:28   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

My thanks to all BHPians who have in their own special way helped the Heart to Heart Foundation sponsor 1000+ paediatric cardiac surgeries. In February 2020 we completed our first year of operations and also completed our 1000th surgery.
Attached Thumbnails
Helping the needy - Donation / Voluntary Work / Charities-img20200218wa0019-002.jpg  

Old 26th March 2020, 19:01   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

In these turbulent times when folks are worried about their families and jobs one person still found the time and energy to go out of his way to sponsor the life giving paediatric cardiac surgery of a 10-month old girl child from Madhya Pradesh. This is none other than our very own brother Turbanator. This is the second child he has sponsored in toto. The child is well and recovering back to good health. This surgery will give the child a full chance to live a normal life to old age like any of us. But for this intervention she was almost sure to die a slow death before the age of three. Please do click on the attachment and see the details and the photo. Turbanator is a true Sardar - strong and generous.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Gift of life (003).pdf (240.6 KB, 116 views)
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks