Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2010, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

All of us must have real life friends most of whom are not interested in cars even though they have them. Let us discuss the light hearted and idiotic comments our friends have said.

I start with my friends' comments:

1. On seeing a NANO: " This would break if i just punch it". According to him a NANO is as safe as an OMNI.

2. On seeing an Ambassador: "The strongest car in the world, almost death proof."

3. On fuel: "Diesel is only for lorries and petrol is only for the rich. Way to go: Risky domestic LPG cylinder fuel."

4: Comment about an Innova after a trip in a taxi innova: " The fastest car in the world. Even faster than an Ambassador."

5. On hearing the price of a civic: " The buyer of the civic is stupid. Why he spends 14L for a car that seats only 4 passengers. A scorpio/innova/safari would be better. Another wild suggestion: I would buy 7OMNI's. "
petroguzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2010, 15:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

The best comment was when colleague of mine saw my car in the office parking and asked what i paid, as i told him the price his immediately response was you could have got a swift. I had not clue what to say lol
Old 17th July 2010, 15:13   #3
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Premier Padmini/Fiat 1100 is always referred to as a Taxi.

Even if its a private car (non black and yellow) some one will call it a Taxi.
Old 17th July 2010, 15:20   #4
BHPian

my ex boss told me, He's looking for VFM car, according to him Santro diesel was better choice than Indica diesel, he didn't wanted to buy one just because hyundai doesn't make diesel engines, they buy it from TATA's
Old 17th July 2010, 15:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ignorance takes many forms, and some of them are really funny.

1. My relative, looking at my brand new Pulsar: "150cc is too powerful. Are you going racing on a track or something? By the time you put 5 gears, you would have passed your destination."

2. "Tata Nano is like a Pulsar with four wheels" - my colleague. He has no idea about the specifications of either vehicle.

3. "Seat belt is not needed in our country, it is just for show. Only those who returned from abroad and want to show that they returned from abroad, will use seat belts. They will also use words like 'awesome', 'cool' and 'dude'" - my colleague. This resulted in the nodding of many heads and the exasperated shaking of mine.

4. "Only L-board drivers drive with side mirrors unfolded. If the left side mirror is also unfolded, it means he is on LLR and hasnt even got his license yet. Overtake these people." - my colleague who prides himself on being a 'good driver'.

5. "Only L-board people drive WagonR" - colleague.

6. "I drive very safe. I never use fifth gear." - colleague

7. "Disc is always risk" (referring to disc brakes) - friend, advising another to avoid any bike that has a disc brake.

8. "Pulsar 220 sucks. It doesn't even have a carburettor." - same friend as above, trying to influence another friend to buy a Splendor instead.

9. "TVS Excel is the fastest bike off signals, because it doesn't take time to slot gears. By the time other bikers have pressed the clutch and slotted first gear, I am already at the next signal" - a proud TVS Excel owner. I didn't say anything - why spoil his party?

10. But this is the best one I have heard till date: "Diesel cars are anyday better. Whenever you run out of diesel, you can run it on kerosene." - a colleague, looking at my Figo. I plan to keep my car keys far, far away from him!
rajushank84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2010, 15:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
The best comment was when colleague of mine saw my car in the office parking and asked what i paid, as i told him the price his immediately response was you could have got a swift. I had not clue what to say lol
Which car, dude?

1. One from a friend of mine who loves to drive.
"If you accidentally put reverse gear while you are moving forward, your axle will break because of sudden reverse rotation"

2. This one I have read on a forum, not T-BHP, mind it.
"I got a mileage of @# kmpl with 100% AC and music system"
Old 17th July 2010, 16:23   #7
BHPian

My aunt fits into every category you guys mention.

She drives an indica 2000/01 model diesel (hard on clutch and is a dead car) and was convinced to pick up an i10 automatic kappa. For a month she kept cribbing that the i10 is slower off the signals and her indica was so fast off the blocks.

I was

Off the topic,

she was presented a panasonic LCD tv, migrating from their 98 philips. She still claims the lcd tv clarity is poorer compared to her philips.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
Which car, dude?

Your friend's statement is not stupid. Usage of electrical/electronic equirments affect fuel efficiency. The electrical power comes from the battery and the battery in turn is charged by the engine.
Old 17th July 2010, 16:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

When you come to my locality, you will see only a single (or two) jazzes and 20 dzires. Most dzires are LXI or VDI models.

When my dad bought the jazz, and we told the price as 7,50,000, many people scratched their heads and started quibbling about the car. They said-dzire le lete..badi gaddi hai..

My reply," you call dzire a badi gaddi? I mean come on, it looks like a swift with an unhatched egg....like I call-pregnented cars which will never deliver and ultimately suffer from miscarriage....I asked them-does your so called dzie have magic seats? audio controls on steering? Tilt steering? or defogger with wiper for safety? or ABS and airbags? or even 90 horses from 1.2....your nannys just have underpowered 1.3s with 87 horses and some of your cars didn't even have wheelcaps...really looks like a villagers "badi gaddi" etc...."

and there you go, people running away quibbling their heads..feeling embarrassed on if I would stop a hapless owner of a dzire lxi or ldi and want to ask him, poor guy will roll down windows sweating and will feel shortchanged....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team :
Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules.
Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 17th July 2010 at 22:30. Reason: ... post.
Old 17th July 2010, 17:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haithereitsme View Post
My aunt fits into every category you guys mention.

She drives an indica 2000/01 model diesel (hard on clutch and is a dead car) and was convinced to pick up an i10 automatic kappa. For a month she kept cribbing that the i10 is slower off the signals and her indica was so fast off the blocks.

I was

Off the topic,

she was presented a panasonic LCD tv, migrating from their 98 philips. She still claims the lcd tv clarity is poorer compared to her philips.
Both the things she said could potentially be atleast partially true. All low end automatics are slow off the block and that coupled with the fact that the indica diesel has decent low end torque, one can easily mistake the indica to be faster.

Philips CRTs - especially the matchline/pixel plus series ones had excellent SD image quality and panasonic LCDs have horrible SD image quality. If all she watches on the LCD is standard definition, then the philips CRT is definitely gonna look better.
reignofchaos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2010, 17:17   #11
BHPian

One of my colleagues as he sat in the passenger seat in my car: "How long have you been driving?" as I asked him to open the ORVM on my Safari. "I have been driving for X years and use only the inside RVM, dont need the OVRM." I seriously didnt know what to say, just mumbled that I am a safe driver.

Another colleague, impressed with his new purchased of i20 Asta petrol: "I bought the Asta instead of the Magna because if has electrically operable hatch door opening." Ok great, I said, what about the other features that make it cost 50k more than the Magna??
Old 17th July 2010, 17:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

OT: Indeed, not using the fifth gear is safer, the engine revs hold the speed the moment you take the foot off the accelerator.

Some of the questions which come in newspaper's car sections are indeed devoid of logic. And the answers surpass the question's stupidity.
Old 17th July 2010, 17:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateek99 View Post
Which car, dude?

1. One from a friend of mine who loves to drive.
"If you accidentally put reverse gear while you are moving forward, your axle will break because of sudden reverse rotation"

Sorry forgot to mention its Palio stile 1.6 .....
Old 17th July 2010, 17:36   #14
Senior - BHPian

One of my ex-Colleagues referring to one of the Director's manual 2008 Verna " It is a Automatic car, "uska reverse aagey lagta hai ".

Few months back found a lady in i10 automatic stuck in middle of road near my place, desperately revving the i10, after waiting for few minutes i went to her, asked what was the problem.Here came the reply " i think there is a problem in gearbox, normally my car takes off when i slide down the shift to N.

Friend decided to buy a Wagon R , as his family would object if he goes for the "Sports car" read Swift Lxi.

"Be it Tata Qualis , Pi-jaro and other 30-40 lac ki gaadi" are very uncomfortable because " aakhir saari Jeep hi to hai", One of the fellow customer at a Garage.

When you put a engine at the rear in the bus, "bus ka speed kam ho jata hai yaar, kyunki power aagey tak jaaney mey time leta hai" according to one of my fathers
ex-staff.

Last one was overheard by me from a group of youths visiting Auto Expo 2002 at Tempo( now Force motors) stall on seeing a Trax/Gurkha equipped with a Snorkel,
"Yeh wala system bada wrong, hai issey saara dhuan(smoke) mooh par ata hai aur aap khidki se bahar bhi nahi dekh sakte". Apart from theseof would have heard Claims/Stories at some point of time about driving a Maruti 800 @ 140-150 kmph and how astonishing mileages there vehicles give( one family friend Uncle claiming a mileage of 20+ from his Jeep DI.)
Old 17th July 2010, 17:46   #15
BHPian

Off-Topic:

@prateek99 / anyone,
What does happen when the reverse gear is engaged by accident? Ive never really known this...

Most Viewed