Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 17:51   #121
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
CPH,

I agree with you on many counts and believe that good driving is a combined balance of speed, skill and judgement and should be backed by good decision making capabilities (a subset of the skill category but important where split second decisions can avert mishaps on the road).
Good that we can agree on this, but I would like to go a bit further than this.

My life and lively hood hinges around cars. I am for over thirty years in the industry from developing components, doing testing and consultancy for car and truck manufacturers and being involved in racing. I had to try to keep accidents victims alive with failure and success. And last but not least I care for life and people (even when some annoy me to the point that I want to kill them).

Out of the experience I have the points you touched and agree with me are not enough.

Driving a car is a massive responsibility that demands more than skill. It also demands a reasonable attitude, which women and men lack equally but in different aspects.

Obviously it is difficult to accuse the man (except some strange samples) of using the car while driving for a make up desk. Nor should the phone be used while driving (both sexes are guilty). Neither should alcohol come in to driving to mention a few.

But also preparation is needed, which means knowing where to fill in the oil and water and the tyre pressure is not enough. Knowing the personal limits is another point.

Having lived many years in the mountains I have sweat a lot going down the serpentines getting the car to slow down and getting to standstill without the use of brakes. It saved me on three occasions my life.

My point is to be constructive in fighting against the casualties caused by men and women as well as putting the idiots in their place who have nothing better to do than being sexist. But just because men are sexist, the women should not retaliate with sexism. Quality alone proves the point.

I still look for a female to sponsor for racing and some other automotive related jobs. Unfortunately a lot of women do not come forward because of the male pressure in the industries.

@ Mr. Nobody - The fact that women are in the minority in racing does not say anything about their capabilities.

Michelle Mouton was WRC winner. She clearly was better with the combination of her choice, skills and strategy than her male competitors.

@ SS-Traveller - I am a taurean and I ask regularly for places.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:29   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
(...some strange samples)

I am a taurean and I ask regularly for places.
LOL. My previous post was in jest, and I'm sure there are equally as many men who ask for directions as women who drive well (yes, I'm one of those strange examples too! I ask for directions - have done so over the last 25 years...).

Hope you (any one else) wouldn't take things personally.

That said, this thread is utterly entertaining.
Old 30th July 2010, 18:57   #123
BHPian

I think we can all agree driving involves Decision-making ,quick reflexes ,spatial awareness , being calm in calamity , road etiquette , knowledge of car ,not panicking . better drivers have these qualities and use them . men just have it a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
@ Mr. Nobody - The fact that women are in the minority in racing does not say anything about their capabilities.

Michelle Mouton was WRC winner. She clearly was better with the combination of her choice, skills and strategy than her male competitors.
If it did not matter why did you mention this driver ? a few exceptional women are there in motor sports who have won a few races but they are just too few in number .

@promod -sure

Last edited by bblost : 31st July 2010 at 21:57. Reason: There is a limit of 2 smileys per post. Refer to forum rules before proceeding. Thanks.
Old 30th July 2010, 21:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

Well here's some great driving from the ladies: Login | Facebook
Old 30th July 2010, 23:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

My car has been lying idle at home for a few months, now that I'm not there. My sister is dying to take it out. We used to love our drives alone ( with dad, I'd have to be on my best behavior ).
She's started her driving classes with a lady instructor. despite having taken 10 sessions, her instructor tells her that she's not ready to drive yet. The same goes for the girls in her batch ( their college just ended an a bunch of them decided to get driving licenses). The guys mostly were good to go by the 7th session. We were talking on IM the other day and my sister told me that it's been so frustrating for her and her friends that they all hate it.

The only advice I could give her was that it is hard to learn first, just like learning to ride a bike. But I really dont know what to tell her when she tells me that the boys in her group are doing better. I just tell her that she too will, eventually. I had been trying to get her to share my interest in cars, and had been making progress, but this might ruin it

My parents are old, and I don't think they can walk/use a two wheeler for long distances/go by bus, and my sister shares my concern. But right now, both of us wish she were better at it.

Last edited by greenhorn : 30th July 2010 at 23:50.
Old 31st July 2010, 03:22   #126
Senior - BHPian

This thread is entertainment on the outside, but deep down it makes one think of many things:

1. Driving, before anything else, is a matter of great responsibility and also a matter of sensitivity. From knowing where to use the horn to save a life, to knowing why one can manage without it 99% of the time that Indians honk!

2. In order to achieve (1) above, driving teaching standards have to be high instead of the current abyssmal.

3. I am not generalising, but most women drivers I know look upon driving as an aweful chore that has to be done because of lack of choices. Maybe I have a bad sample set for my survey. If you don't like doing something, your chances of doing it right are lesser, automatically. Many men I know are excellent cooks, but most of them are like me. Bad. Blame it on hormones or on poor social conditioning.

4. Despite (3) above, it is a bad idea to generalise. It only creates unnecessary pressure on a woman driver right from her driving school days.
It is important to emphasise the difference between good driving and bad driving, that's all.

5. In a country where the average woman is not safe from the creeps who inhabit buses and trains, how does one expect the same kind of creeps (who have a bigger ego because they are driving their vehicles on the road instead of being in the bus) to behave any better with women drivers? There are incidents where being overtaken by a women is the cause for sudden display of machismo and rash driving. It's the equivalent of passing a lewd remark or pinching a bottom in the bus.

I have two objectives:
a. To make myself a better driver, improve myself everyday.
b. To teach driving correctly to anyone who I ever end up teaching.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:06   #127
BHPian

My wife is a real good Driver..... she drives me up the wall all the time!
Old 31st July 2010, 21:53   #128
BHPian

Women or men, whoever is on the driver seat must keep one thing in mind before cranking that when you drive a vehicle, not only you but life of other people on road also depend on your ability of controlling vehicle.

Women drivers are having bad impression because they drive less and any woman who drives car regularly like for example going to office in her car daily driven by herself will be equally good driver. Professional drivers who have spent their life driving are champ we all know. On discovery channel it was shown that big trucks used in mines are driven mostly by lady drivers because they are found better and they take care of trucks better than men. BTW these trucks are monsters, almost the size of a small home!!

@greenhorn: sometimes these driving instructors are not good in teaching, when I learned after 15 days I was still nervous to take car on road but gained confidence only when I started driving my own car without the instructor. Obviously I took the car on lonely roads first then moved to busy roads.

Last edited by Hashim : 31st July 2010 at 21:58.
Old 31st July 2010, 22:07   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
cant believe the men who are dominated by their manly wives are defending their driving . speaking the truth is not insecurity .
most women cant take any criticism in any field let alone driving . if someone criticizes their driving we are chauvinist ?
I don't know the kind of men you have been around. But not everyone who supports women's right to drive is hen pecked. Please do not make sweeping general statements based on your own (limited) life experiences. I mentioned limited because all of us including me have a very limited view of life. At least till we are really free from the grind of day to day life. You as a Student and me as a working professional. We still need to see a lot more before we start passing such statements. Hope you take this in a good spirit.

Quote:
The earth is ruled by us MEN . an average man is always a better driver than a avg man . when men drive the car is a extension of his self . he his self aware of surrounding . for women its just a box of metal that can magically take them from A to B .
You wish. But alas the days of Men deciding everything is numbered.
As an average man, if you are unable to see for yourself the grand contribution of women. You are just blind.

Quote:
I think we can all agree driving involves Decision-making ,quick reflexes ,spatial awareness , being calm in calamity , road etiquette , knowledge of car ,not panicking . better drivers have these qualities and use them . men just have it a bit more
All that for driving a car within city limits, adhering to prescribed speed limits!
Take a break.
Old 31st July 2010, 22:46   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I am not generalising, but most women drivers I know look upon driving as an aweful chore that has to be done because of lack of choices.
I have seen women handling the sedans and SUVs extremely well. One thing I can vouch for is that women dont drive offensive. They may be slow to cause irritation to few but they drive safe. They follow rules. Very rarely I have seen some one jumping a red light.

All said and done I have seen some panicky rivers too. The reason is as quoted. The women who drive as a person who likes to drive, they drive very well. But then some are forced by circumstances to drive against their wishes, and they appear bit panicky.

As a forum member we all should endeavor and teach the ladies in our houses to drive. I love driving but at times when I am tired of driving or dont wish to drive, my wife takes on the steering and I relax.

As far as servicing, maintenance etc are concerned; we men are to be blamed. Because we dont feel comfortable with a lady going alone to workshop. So, we discourage them or just take it for granted that its not their cup of tea. We all men learned as we grew. So, will a women without doubts!

To take things further.. few men find it very UNMANLY that the man is sitting in passengers seat and a lady is driving. Somehow it is in the psyche that in case a man and woman have to travel then the driver would be the man. I let my wife drive whenever she desires to.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 31st July 2010 at 22:47.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:16   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
1)I don't know the kind of men you have been around. But not everyone who supports women's right to drive is hen pecked. Please do not make sweeping general statements based on your own (limited) life experiences. I mentioned limited because all of us including me have a very limited view of life. At least till we are really free from the grind of day to day life. You as a Student and me as a working professional. We still need to see a lot more before we start passing such statements. Hope you take this in a good spirit.

2)You wish. But alas the days of Men deciding everything is numbered.
As an average man, if you are unable to see for yourself the grand contribution of women. You are just blind.

3)All that for driving a car within city limits, adhering to prescribed speed limits!
Take a break.
I never said only Henpecked Husbands support "women's right to drive " .Please do not make sweeping general statements about me.

as for second part you quoted - well i don't need to wish for it , its there . politics ,economics ,sports , religion ,corporate sector ,education who makes the decisions ? . heck even 70%+ people of the world worship gods who are men . even the almighty is a man in most cases .
ps - dont think of me as a sexist/chauvinist person . i'm am only stating a true fact and if not you are welcome to correct me .im all for more representation of women in fields they are suited for and appropriate at and bridging the gender disparities in society . i dislike though radical views by people who call themselves feminists when the ideas they project cannot bring change in thinking . The thing women have to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:17   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
As far as servicing, maintenance etc are concerned; we men are to be blamed. Because we dont feel comfortable with a lady going alone to workshop. So, we discourage them or just take it for granted that its not their cup of tea. We all men learned as we grew.
What if things change and only women take cars to service centers? It will be like:

Lady: Car me pickup nahi hai aur clutch bohot hard ho gaya hai

Mechanic: Madam ji clutch gaya iska, 3500 lagega.

Lady: Bhaiiya meri padosan ne to 2000 me karwaya tha clutch mein to itna hi dungi

Mechanic:

Jokes apart but since ladies are good at bargain can get serviced done at local garage for much cheeper.

Also Auth. Service centers will become a hub for chit chats and kitty parties
Old 31st July 2010, 23:33   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please do not make sweeping general statements about me.

dont think of me as a sexist/chauvinist person
Mr. Nobody, your statements appear to be sweeping generalisations on their own.

In addition, your posts come across as
  1. immature,
  2. provocative,
  3. puerile,
  4. chauvinistic,
  5. sexist,
  6. over-confident and
  7. irrational.
Your posts reflect the likelihood that no lady member in your family drives a car (I am open to being corrected on this), and gallantry towards the fairer sex is not your forte.

On this forum, what you write reflects who you are, and we hope you will attempt to subsequently correct our (mis?)perception of your persona.
Old 31st July 2010, 23:51   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very true of what you said about requirements of driving! But what makes you think men have a bit more? Just because you think that. If that be so you can help yourself and continue thinking so. All these are requirements and can very well be possessed by a male or female.

Some of the male chauvinist thinking:-

I wear pants so I will drive.

How can a woman driving a Land Cruiser overtake my Scooty pep? or how can she be faster than a man? It a do die situation to prove my worth. She is challenging my manliness!

Please overcome the narrow thinking and grow up. Even if a woman drives because of compulsion and dont feel comfortable driving, I have full regards for her. She is tough enough to take additional responsibilities!
Old 31st July 2010, 23:56   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Nine pages later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugeeta View Post
PROLOGUE : This had to happen one day!! I HAD to write about women drivers (in the Indian context). So here I go.

Hi Guys!!

I would like to take up the cause of women drivers on our roads.
I didn't read the nine pages, because I've done my bit of 'feminist activism' on the site and I can imagine some of the replies! I didn't want to get angry
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks