Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Name Change on Driving Licence

Can someone guide me on the process for changing the Name of an individual on the Driving License in Mumbai or THane RTO.

My wife's License has to be corrected with her name after our marriage.

I have her updates passport with the changed surname
can someone guide on the process.

Can any of the form listed on the site be used.

Opened RTO forms from link on left on RTO Navi Mumbai Website

It opened
RTO Forms
Old 4th August 2010, 13:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

I got the name corrected from Trivandrum RTO. The process was quite simple. Give request in a plain paper along with name proof and get it verified by the RTO. Once he signs it, submit the same and the original DL at the concerned counter and a self addressed registered post envelop (with the required postage stamp). Pay the required fee and collect the acknowledgment. The DL comes to your home in about a week's time.
If I remember correctly, I paid ~Rs.250 including the agent's service charge. Took the help of an agent cause I wanted to speed up the process since I am in Bangalore but my DL is from Trivandrum and didn't want to return back to Bangy without the DL.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

@leadfoot

I dont think there is a seperate form for the change of name. What Jaguar suggested seems to be the ideal way. Best would be to visit the RTO and enquire and instead of going the agents way get it done on your own.

If your wife's driving licence of the same state, then I dont think you need to go for a change in name, old licence is valid enough till the expiry. Upon expiry you can submit the valid documents and get the name changed on the new licence.
Old 4th August 2010, 14:41   #4
BHPian

IMO your wife can use the license till it gets expired. Once it gets expired you can get ti updated with new name. Your passport is already update so i guess that is more than enough for an documentation/ID proof/Marriage proof purpose
Old 4th August 2010, 15:26   #5
BHPian

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Actually the need of changing name and address on driving license is the fact that when i apply for IDP in the future. i don't want last moment hassles, since visa's passport all would be in her new name.

DL is infact part of my list of documents that should be updated with her name after marraige.

Passport
Pan Card
Ration card
Bank account names are others, which have already been done.

I am going to the RTO to inquire on how to do it. however I wanted to be prepared on what to expect and keep forms ready before i visit.

I understand that she can continue to drive with her old passport but she is too excited to get a new license, since her older one was anyways washed out and can barely read her name.
Old 4th August 2010, 16:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I got the name corrected from Trivandrum RTO.
If I remember correctly, I paid ~Rs.250 including the agent's service charge.
I would like to change my old 'book type' Driving License to 'Laminated Card Type' License (Trivandrum). Any pointers?

Last edited by noopster : 24th September 2013 at 16:10. Reason: Fixed quote tags
Old 4th August 2010, 18:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

@Jino, just go to the RTO office and ask. If you face any issues, there are lots of agents lurking around who would help you for a nominal fee.
Old 5th August 2010, 09:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I got the name corrected from Trivandrum RTO.
If I remember correctly, I paid ~Rs.250 including the agent's service charge.quote]
I would like to change my old 'book type' Driving License to 'Laminated Card Type' License (Trivandrum). Any pointers?
By Laminated card you mean Smart card right? There is a form which needs to be filled (I dont remember the no was it 18 or 21?) and a fee of Rs 750/- needs to be paid. The old book type RC will have be deposited and they would give you a receipt which is valid till you get the Smart card.

Last edited by noopster : 24th September 2013 at 16:10. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 5th August 2010, 11:49   #9
BHPian

the 750 rupees smartcard is pure crap.
MY car's RC is a smart card and just by placing it in a good plastic cover to avoid any damage. the printing on it was rubbed off. Cn abarely read anything now. pure nonsense.
LOoks like some relative of the a minister was in this business and government used to manufacture these cheap quality cards. and 750 for a smart card is daylight robbery.

I would prefer a paper book type license anyday.
Old 24th September 2013, 12:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

re: Name Change on Driving Licence

I am in the same situation. My wife's name, address, signature needs to be changed on her license after our marriage. In our case, her license is issued by Satara RTO, so is it necessary to get an NOC from Satara RTO before we go ahead with changing the name on her license here at Pune RTO?
Old 24th September 2013, 12:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I am in the same situation. My wife's name, address, signature needs to be changed on her license after our marriage. In our case, her license is issued by Satara RTO, so is it necessary to get an NOC from Satara RTO before we go ahead with changing the name on her license here at Pune RTO?
This is same as tranferring the licence, hence NOC from previous RTO is must. I would suggest to make a fresh DL application at Pune RTO once the old DL expires, its much faster than getting the NOC.
Old 24th September 2013, 13:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
This is same as tranferring the licence, hence NOC from previous RTO is must. I would suggest to make a fresh DL application at Pune RTO once the old DL expires, its much faster than getting the NOC.
Thanks. But her license is due to expire sometime in 2025! We were thinking on similar lines however - apply for a fresh license here and once this is issued, get the Satara one cancelled. Would this work out faster?
Old 24th September 2013, 13:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Thanks. But her license is due to expire sometime in 2025! We were thinking on similar lines however - apply for a fresh license here and once this is issued, get the Satara one cancelled. Would this work out faster?
Even to cancel the DL, you will have to visit Satara RTO. Might as well get a NOC in that case. Dont know if the cancellation process takes more than a day or not, but NOC will take a day or two unless you can pull a string or two.
Old 25th September 2013, 22:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

We will go to the RTO this Saturday and let everyone know the outcome. Fingers crossed....
Old 1st October 2013, 22:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

4th Saturday, govt. holiday. Both me & my wife forgot about it. We went to the RTO by afternoon only to see a closed gate. But were still accosted by a few agents asking what we wanted to do. Told them off and returned home. Let's see this coming Saturday. I will update here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks