Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2010, 22:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
But on a serious note, I somehow feel that it'll be for the betterment of the nation that this CWG fails and it fails measurably. As it said in some movie/book that sometime you need a bang to shook someone up who is in deep slumber or in the state of ignorance. This might be the one.
Sorry, our politicos are too thick skinned for this. They and the wannabes will look for such opportunities in the future to rake in money for themselves. People are saying, that this money could have been used for many other things, sorry, that was not the intention. It was the games to be held.

I shudder to imagine what would happen if there is a security lapse or a structure failure hurting players of powerful countries. we will go back to the confirmed third world status in no time again. This money ploughed will be used during elections next time around and the cycle will continue. I will not be surprised that even if God forbid the games fail some officials might declare the games as a success in India.

I am reminded of the Asian Games held probably more than a decade ago in Balewadi, Pune. Hon'able Sri Sharad Pawar changed the face of Pune overnight with excellent progress in no time and made Pune proud. He was having a tough time getting funds and he used pure muscle power to make the games' facilities available in time if not before. The important point is, even if he raked in profits he atleast had some positive intentions of making the games a success.
I agree that the magnitude of the CWG is much larger, but so is the money & resources available too.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 27th September 2010 at 23:04.
Old 27th September 2010, 23:06   #32
AWD
BHPian

"Olympics", I think we can forget about that! CWG are just friendly games but Olympics are top of the top competitive sports.
Moreover the question should be "do we need to host Olympics"? Yes, if we want to see our Politicians, officials concerned become Kings, only one City/State get developed by consuming entire Nations funds & the rest of the Country can go to dogs, as already!

The focus, thrust has to be on developing sports rather than hosting large events. Players should be adequately paid, looked after & reared. Imagine hosting Olympics & not winning a single Bronze!

Its more important to feed the Nation first.
Old 27th September 2010, 23:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
The important point is, even if he raked in profits he atleast had some positive intentions of making the games a success.
This is exactly why there is such huge dissapointment this time. We all expect our dear ministers to siphon off the money in every project (that is a given). However the least the country expected was to deliver the games to a standard which would be impressive and recognised all over the World (especially after how well the Chinese did with the Olympics). However after the nonsense that has happened with the CM of the state publicly "praying to God" that everything goes well, the dissapointment has turned into embarrassment for the whole country. I think the Olympics should take place about 150 years later, once we achieve freedom the second time round (this time not from the British but our own Ministers)..
Old 28th September 2010, 13:22   #34
BHPian

Why to read jokes about common wealth games, CWGs itself is a joke. Three noted buffoons (Jaipal Reddy, Kalmadi and Delhi CM) showed to the entire world that we are a third world country and we deserve to retain this tagline safe and secure with us for ever. As per Islamic countries law, Kalmadi and the entire organizing committee deserve hunter whips in public.
Old 29th September 2010, 14:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

BTW, on a side-note, read this about the alleged hoax bomb threat story that the Australian media aired. Another Australian media has unearthed the ugly truth it seems, Media Watch: Defusing an explosive story (27/09/2010)

Last edited by kaushik_s : 29th September 2010 at 14:43.
Old 29th September 2010, 23:04   #36
Senior - BHPian

A link to ponder - Does An hour of glory justify all? (hard hitting pov) Compared with a lootfest like London or Beijing, Delhi is just an also-ran | Simon Jenkins | Comment is free | The Guardian
Old 30th September 2010, 11:53   #37
BHPian

I know this is OT but one of my friend has been campaigning and has a vision that the Commonwealth becomes a success. Their group has been featured in various dailies and that has encouraged them to make a short film on CWG

Do check it out if you have some time.

Old 30th September 2010, 12:29   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Dear BHPians.

My sincere wish was that a very successfully arranged Commonwealth Games in Delhi would enhance our chances of hosting an Olympic Games in India in the near future. To tell you honestly, I am aghast by all the negative press that these games have generated till now. The latest is this:

Knockout before Games: Boxer's bed collapses - The Times of India

Do you think in the last few days all the blemishes would be erased and we will see a super successful CW Games?
We NCR people , are not interesting in the same. neither should you. not all of the 70k cr came from delhi taxpayers, you see. and when a small event like CWG costs that much (thanks to kalmadi), I don't feel like trying to budget for olympics. tyvm.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:06   #39
BHPian

Some good news, right when it was needed!

Commonwealth Games: Finally, Delhi dazzles - The Times of India
Old 4th October 2010, 12:37   #40
Senior - BHPian

So it is finally under way, the games M.J.Akbar so aptly called "the championship of the also rans" in the TOI. India can hope to pick-up a few medals, after all!
Old 4th October 2010, 14:48   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Some good news, right when it was needed!

Commonwealth Games: Finally, Delhi dazzles - The Times of India

Was expecting many congragulatory messages for the opening ceremony in T-BHP. Many didn't see it in TV, i guess.

It was stunning and the same world media that wrote all those bad things about dellhi were bowled over this time. From UK to New Zealand everyone has praised the opening ceremony.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Yes the opening ceremony was indeed stunning! I saw it from start to end and if you missed it, let me tell you HAVE missed something.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

I missed part of it but it was really a spectacular show. Some really good news after all these debacle. Best part is that India's cultural heritage was showcased instead of some laser/light show things. Great going.
Old 4th October 2010, 19:44   #44
BHPian

How about the audience turn around for the events? I heard the stadiums are empty and already rumor has surfaced that the locals are boycotting the events. :-) I think it is rubbish and expected. To me it is very hard to attract a crowd in India for any other games except cricket.
Old 4th October 2010, 21:50   #45
Senior - BHPian

no no, enough junta are buying the tickets. Today, many may not be there, but even in office, junta are talking and buying.

However, expecting them to take a day off from work to go see events - not really delhi culture. if it was India-Pakistan cricket match - NowTHAT would see crowds

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks