Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2010, 11:29   #1
BHPian

Will CWG 2010 help or hamper our prospects of an Olympic in India?

Dear BHPians.

My sincere wish was that a very successfully arranged Commonwealth Games in Delhi would enhance our chances of hosting an Olympic Games in India in the near future. To tell you honestly, I am aghast by all the negative press that these games have generated till now. The latest is this:

Knockout before Games: Boxer's bed collapses - The Times of India

Do you think in the last few days all the blemishes would be erased and we will see a super successful CW Games?
Old 26th September 2010, 11:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

How does it matter?

There has been colossal loot and mis-spending of public money. We will take years to recover from this and you wonder about the Olympics?

Sir, frankly as an NCR resident I don't care two hoots.

PS: Let's see quality infra being built in India first, then we can talk of anything else - if we build the same crapshod forever late infrastructure, then the olympics truly should be the least of our worries.
Old 26th September 2010, 12:05   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Why so serious?

Whether or not the CWG left us red in the face, whether the Games are successful or not, whether the guilty are brought to book or not, whether India manages to bag another international event in the next 30 years or not, I must appreciate one fallout of the CWG - the plethora of CWG jokes and fun literature that are flying around thick and fast.

Examples:

1. At the start of the swimming championships, the teams go to the pool and find there's no water. The MCD came along in the morning, found mosquito larvae breeding in the pool, slapped a fine on the OC and forced the officials to drain the pool.

2. Baa Baa Kalmadi
Have you any shame?
No Sir, no Sir, we're playing the Crime+Wealth Game
Crores for my partners,
Crores for my dame,
And crores for me too,
Money wipes away the shame.

3. Suresh tried hanging himself in shame one day. The ceiling collapsed and he continues to live.

4. The newly recruited traffic cops managing the CWG lanes are not being paid a salary. They've been told to raise their own tax-free remunerations by stopping motorists who venture into the Games lane. Aapka 2000 rupiah fine banta hai; 1000 dey doh, aur chalta bano, parchi nahin milegi. (Your fine is 2000 rupees; pay up 1000 rupees and go, you won't get a receipt).

5. Dogs and snakes have been recruited into the OC to check out the living conditions at the Games Village. They very much approve of the hygiene standards there, whatever the others might say. Lalit Bhanot bases his comment on the reports submitted by these new recruits.

6. The truth behind bulk sms banning is to stop kalmadi jokes and not Ayodhya.

7. Prince Charles is actively convincing the Queen to visit dengue hit Delhi, this may be his last chance to become the king!

8. Amazing but true: If you re-arrange the letters "Sir U made lakhs" you get "SURESH KALMADI".

and of course, this cartoon...
Will CWG 2010 help or hamper our prospects of an Olympic in India?-kalmadi_cwg_joke.jpg
Old 26th September 2010, 12:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

LOL, That as welll.

and TnH saab - we have to first get to the point where we start earning some medals in a respectable number. Else we'd have a new record for the host with the least medals tally in recent times
Old 26th September 2010, 12:27   #5
BHPian

Thanks phamilyman and SS.

Now l'll rather relish the CWG jokes.
Old 26th September 2010, 20:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

The security concerns of participating nations is utterly unfounded.

Terrorists boycott Delhi Commonwealth Games citing safety reasons

Will CWG 2010 help or hamper our prospects of an Olympic in India?-cwgmessterroristattackboycott.jpg

Edit : One more...

Overheard on the Delhi party circuit -"pity that Korea is not part of the Commonwealth... we could have explained the dogs in the Commonwealth Village as Breakfast in Bed"

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 26th September 2010 at 20:20.
Old 26th September 2010, 20:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

When we take years to complete a simple flyover/under passes/4lane road works and in most cases goof up in planning and realize is only after completion. i think the same is shown in "CWG" preparation till now...

Did we really need this event is my question? when there are so many pressing issues which needs to be taken car and some morons are trying to show off by hosting this game, however that went all off in other direction now it is going to act opposite!

Also India proved to the world that we can beat any nation in corruption, no matter if we can win a gold in any of the games but in corruption none can match us!

Olympics??? already tax payers money has been wasted a lot i dont think we needs do it again.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Snakes in the village - the latest headlines making news from the CWG. A snake was found in the room of the S. African contingent.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:41   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

See, now we are getting into the right spirit and frame of mind about the CWG.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
The newspapers kept harping that this was a 56-kg category boxer, not a heavyweight. Aren't we glad the Japs are not a part of the Commonwealth, ans sumo wrestling is not an event in the CWG? Maybe we'd have found one of the sumo contingent members landing up in the basement...
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Snakes in the village - the latest headlines making news from the CWG. A snake was found in the room of the S. African contingent.
Aha... breakfast in bed again? No, Taiwan is not a Commonwealth member AFAIK.
Old 26th September 2010, 21:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
The security concerns of participating nations is utterly unfounded.

Terrorists boycott Delhi Commonwealth Games citing safety reasons

One more...

Overheard on the Delhi party circuit -"pity that Korea is not part of the Commonwealth... we could have explained the dogs in the Commonwealth Village as Breakfast in Bed"
SS, these were really funny!
Old 26th September 2010, 22:48   #11
BHPian

Ha ha... seeing this thread.. at least there is something to be happy about the CWG.

These are some of the best jokes..
Old 26th September 2010, 22:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

One thing that really zonked me was the final budget.India has spent 71,000 crores!! on the CWG.I am not sure if this includes the delhi airport terminal or not,but still a collosal amount of money.
The original cost was estimated to be 655 crores.
Just to give you an idea in the 2010 budget the allocation for school education in india was 31,000 crore whereas health and welfare for the entire country was 22,000.And as we all know these targets are seldom meet.

Last edited by avishar : 26th September 2010 at 22:55.
Old 26th September 2010, 23:03   #13
BANNED

It has already boosted our dirty image of corruption and bureaucracy to the whole of the globe.

Nothing can be done to save the humiliation.

Sadly the politicians are scot free after all this.

I wonder what will be the fate of F1 in Delhi.

Delhi never deserves to be the F1 Venue. Bangalore or Chennai suited best.
Old 27th September 2010, 00:21   #14
Senior - BHPian

If CWG@77000 crores features dogs rolling on beds then I do not want Olympics. It pains me to even think that few dimes in that 77000 crores were from the taxes which were deducted from my salary.

I feel like the stupidest person on this planet working my @$$ to bone fixing bugs and meeting deadlines. While these guys happily loot.

No Olympics please. Hopefully the way CWG turned out, Olympic committee will jump off the roof as soon as they see Suresh Kalmadi within 100 km radius.

What really nettles me is the PM and CM of Delhi harping about Indian Pride and appealing to us to make it a success.
Why us? Have we eaten that money?
Does it not make one feel like a dishwasher in a Restaurant? Cleaning up after guest had their fill???

That 77000 crores had dimes in it from taxes I paid.
My tax money bought a bed for dog.
Old 27th September 2010, 00:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

It was an opportunity which could have reshaped Delhi & made it a truly world class city, had the people involved were even slightly patriotic & that too in a lesser cost. The kind of money that they are showing being spent on CWG was enough to develop a new city with good & modern infrastructure.

And I also agree with one of the members here who earlier questioned about the need to host these games. There are already a plethora of issues at hand & spending such huge amounts on such tournaments then shouldn't be on the list. This has been a wasteful expenditure of OUR money.

I hope the other nations take a serious note & decide against India for any future tournaments, at least in the near future. The reason is because I don't want to pay for dog ****, snakes, dengue, malaria, falling ceilings etc, which the govt. considers minor incidents.

In this smiley, I see our govt. members on the ground in place of the dead horse & the citizens as the guy beating it up with a bat.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 27th September 2010 at 00:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks