Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 13:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Any musicians in the house?

I (used to) play bass guitar. I prefer plectrum over finger picking. I used to play in the official band of my previous employer (SAP India). I also played a few shows in restaurants and events with a few friends.

Since last one year or, I have touched my bass guitar only 2 - 3 times :-(
Old 11th November 2013, 18:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Free (audio) recording software for amateur musicians

Some of the Bhpians are musicians/play the guitar and so on I notice. For those of you interested in recording and mixing your music (vocal/instrumental) here is a wonderful software that you can use. It is called Audacity and while it is pretty basic compared to the more fancy stuff, it will not cost you a bomb like them. In fact being freeware, it will cost you nothing. And it will do the job pretty well believe me. I've used it for quite sometime now.
Here is the link -
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Old 12th November 2013, 10:52   #48
BHPian

re: Free (audio) recording software for amateur musicians

Hey Bro, thanks for that link. I strum once in a while and casually written some lyrics and composed few songs. I'm gonna try recording it.
Since this is from TBHP, I feel like recording and mixing various engine start/ vroom sounds and try a new combo of music their. Elsewhere in the world someone would have done already but yet.......... let me know if amy TBHPian is interested in building an anthem for TEAM BHP
Old 12th November 2013, 12:31   #49
BHPian

The software is just the platform. There are many excellent free audio workstations like Presonus Studio One, Goldwave etc, apart from Audacity, and they all do a great job as far as streamlining your music writing workflow is concerned. However, sound quality isn't related to software used at all. The High End Protools will also record crap sound if the sound engine, signal chain, & microphones are crappy. What really matters is the quality of the outboard gear (preamps, and AD/DA converters).
Hence, if anyone is a music making enthusiast and wants to record his guitars lines, vocals, etc, in acceptable sound quality, it is advisable to invest in an entry level sound engine at least, that would take in 96Khz/24bit inputs. Once that's done, anyone can do a killer high fidelity broadcast wav 48Khz/24bit recording in the default 'windows sound recorder' too

Last edited by RevvMusic : 12th November 2013 at 12:37.
Old 12th November 2013, 14:03   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevvMusic View Post
The software is just the platform. There are many excellent free audio workstations like Presonus Studio One, Goldwave etc, apart from Audacity, and they all do a great job as far as streamlining your music writing workflow is concerned. However, sound quality isn't related to software used at all. The High End Protools will also record crap sound if the sound engine, signal chain, & microphones are crappy. What really matters is the quality of the outboard gear (preamps, and AD/DA converters).
Hence, if anyone is a music making enthusiast and wants to record his guitars lines, vocals, etc, in acceptable sound quality, it is advisable to invest in an entry level sound engine at least, that would take in 96Khz/24bit inputs. Once that's done, anyone can do a killer high fidelity broadcast wav 48Khz/24bit recording in the default 'windows sound recorder' too
As I mentioned in my post, it's pretty basic. But it is a good software for casual hobbyists. And yes of course the sound quality will depend on the equipment one uses. For instance, being that 'casual hobbyist', I use a chat mic for recording stuff on my humble netbook quite often and it sounds ordinary while some of my friends use high quality software like Nuendo, Cubase and stuff on their Macs, superb Shure mics etc and sure they sound fabulous. In the end it boils down to your passion and willingness to spend.
Old 12th November 2013, 23:12   #51

I play the harmonica and the flute. Strictly Hindi filmy music though. Am not trained, but can play quite OK.
Old 13th November 2013, 08:50   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Free (audio) recording software for amateur musicians

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
recording stuff on my humble netbook quite often and it sounds ordinary while some of my friends use high quality software like Nuendo, Cubase and stuff on their Macs, superb Shure mics etc and sure they sound fabulous. In the end it boils down to your passion and willingness to spend.
Think if you use a good quality condenser microphone, the recording quality will be miles ahead of using a headset based mic. That too given brands like Shure, Studiomaster etc their SQ is really good and so is the fidelity. If the recorded sound is reproduced by an equally good set of speakers, you can feel each and every detail in the content. Audacity is best suited for mixing and modifying tracks and it does its job well in that regard. But if we have to 'make' music then yes its obviously pointing towards Cubase, Protools etc. Even FLstudio is a good tool I have been using. You can create music entirely within the software environment.
Old 10th December 2013, 00:49   #53
BHPian

Just bumped into this thread. Having stayed and studied in a missionary school cum hostel, I learnt the key board at the age of 13. I used to play the key board in the Church everyday morning for the Mass (for 12 long years) and in the school for any celebration. Its been 5 years since I touched it and my fingers are itching to do it again. But my work load doesn't allow me somehow.
Old 13th June 2017, 18:09   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Think if you use a good quality condenser microphone, the recording quality will be miles ahead of using a headset based mic. That too given brands like Shure, Studiomaster etc their SQ is really good and so is the fidelity. If the recorded sound is reproduced by an equally good set of speakers, you can feel each and every detail in the content. Audacity is best suited for mixing and modifying tracks and it does its job well in that regard.
Your TBHP handle tells that you have answers for my very basic question

I am thinking of setting up a basic home recording set up in few months. Main aim is recording vocals for karaoke (hobby) occasionally. I have no idea about the components needed and its use. Did little bit of google search and found following are required for basic set up. I have no idea whether this list is complete or how to select with minimum budget (for a basic setup).

Microphone
Audio interface
Recording Software (free?)
Studio headphone
XLR cable
Microphone stand
Pop filter

Are they any good vfm bundle set available?

TBHPians inputs please.

Last edited by Latheesh : 13th June 2017 at 18:27.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:16   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Your TBHP handle tells that you have answers for my very basic question

I am thinking of setting up a basic home recording set up in few months. Main aim is recording vocals for karaoke (hobby) occasionally. I have no idea about the components needed and its use. Did little bit of google search and found following are required for basic set up. I have no idea whether this list is complete or how to select with minimum budget (for a basic setup).

Microphone
Audio interface
Recording Software (free?)
Studio headphone
XLR cable
Microphone stand
Pop filter

Are they any good vfm bundle set available?
If you want a setup like this, then you will have to invest a lot of money. A good microphone itself will be in the range of 10-20k. Then a basic audio interface of 2-4 channels will be in the range of 15-20k. Usually the audio interfaces come bundled with a recording software so that wouldnt be an additional cost. Cables can be sourced locally which wouldnt cost significantly.

Check out websites like Furtadosonline.com, Bajaao.com to get an idea of the products and pricing. If you are new to the field of sound engineering, then consider approaching such a shop to set up the hardware for you so that you dont have to spend time making all the connections and will avoid any wrong connections etc.

If you are not planning to make good use of such a setup, then IMO its not worth spending so much money on it. Get a good dynamic mic, a good soundcard and you can do quite a bit of recording using free software like Audacity etc. My cousin does as a weekend activity and the recordings are good enough to be shared on social media, etc if not professional. Hence, do take a second thought on how you would be making use of the whole setup.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are not planning to make good use of such a setup, then IMO its not worth spending so much money on it. Get a good dynamic mic, a good soundcard and you can do quite a bit of recording using free software like Audacity etc.
Thanks!

We are not going to use this set up extensively. This will be used to just to record karaoke songs and sharing with friends and family. Do you have any suggestion for a dynamic mic and sound card?
Old 14th June 2017, 14:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks!

We are not going to use this set up extensively. This will be used to just to record karaoke songs and sharing with friends and family. Do you have any suggestion for a dynamic mic and sound card?
If you're on a Mac, use KJams Lite for the Karaoke, Garageband is great (and built in to Mac) for multichannel recording and mixing, and get just about any external mic (or even use the built-in mic as long as your room is quiet enough).

If you do that, however, make sure you use headphones while singing along to the background tracks.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 14th June 2017 at 14:45.
Old 14th June 2017, 20:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

I have been learning Hindusthani Classical Vocal since 2 years. I also know a bit of tabla.
Old 17th June 2017, 11:31   #59
BHPian

Well I have been learning the harmonium since the last 15 years or so. Passed the sangeet Visharad some years ago and now I play the harmonium professionally for Indian classical vocal concerts and non classical programs too.
Old 17th July 2017, 14:07   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you are not planning to make good use of such a setup, then IMO its not worth spending so much money on it. Get a good dynamic mic, a good soundcard and you can do quite a bit of recording using free software like Audacity etc. My cousin does as a weekend activity and the recordings are good enough to be shared on social media, etc if not professional. Hence, do take a second thought on how you would be making use of the whole setup.
I ended up buying Blue Snowball iCE microphone and a pop filter. Using my current Sennheiser headphone with Audacity to start with. Let me experiment with this basic set up for few months. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks