Team-BHP - Gardening experts in Team BHP?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Gardening experts in Team BHP? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89939-gardening-experts-team-bhp-21.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortis (Post 4625706)
You get grass seeds on Amazon in 1/2-1kg packs. Just turn the soil and sprinkle the seeds.

Have you had any success with these ?
I bought a small pack of lawn grass seeds from Amazon costing about Rs.150 and it just didn't work :Frustrati
What actually worked to some extent was to get the thick Indian variety grass (requested a gardener at a nearby building's campus and he was kind enough to give some). This is now spreading slowly but of course I didn't have enough to make it dense like the grass mats.

Only managed to do one small test patch before monsoons and it worked well. I'm going to continue getting rid of the old grass and weeds once the monsoon is over. Working on one garden at a time starting with the smallest one

Hydroponically grown mustard greens (lai xaak) in my balcony :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbus (Post 4639869)
Hydroponically grown mustard greens (lai xaak) in my balcony :)

Very nice.
Did you face any issue wrt pests like aphids etc with this method.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet (Post 4639937)
Did you face any issue wrt pests like aphids etc with this method.

I have not seen aphids on my leafy vegetables yet. But have seen them on Chilli leaves.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-p.jpg

Some of my friends (agricultural professionals) suggested home remedies to control aphids. I am spraying water mixed with detergent or shampoo once a week on Chilli leaves. Water soaked with Tobacco can also be used.

But above may not be suitable for leafy vegetables and I was advised to spray starch (obtained by draining boiled rice).

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGA (Post 4582696)
Consider indigenous varieties, such as Lantana which can be pruned into a nice hedge or can be left as a wild shrub. Screening bamboo may also be a good idea.

Lantana is not indigenous shrub , its an invasive species just like parthanium ( gajar ghas) . Though lantana flowers look attractive but soon it takes over the whole area and is hard to get rid off. Screening using golden bamboo or mehendi hedge is better. Aracia palm is also good option and looks elegant and works well in places with good moisture such as Bangalore or coastal areas. However if you are short on time nothing can match growth rate of bamboo.

If you are in hot dry areas of north and central India Bogainnvelia trained and shaped as hedge works best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 4640088)
Lantana is not indigenous shrub , its an invasive species just like parthanium ( gajar ghas) . T

If you are in hot dry areas of north and central India Bogainnvelia trained and shaped as hedge works best.

Seeing from last 50 years I took it for granted that lantana was native to India, one can see similar shrubs of same family all the way up to Lahaul Spiti as well. Thanks for enlightening, it is no doubt invasive if not controlled.

Parthenium is also called congress grass as it is all pervasive in any open space but I think its time to change its name. :)

Guys please suggest some good Gardening channels on Youtube etc. that you follow for your gardening needs/suggestions and ideas.

Thanks.

Does anyone have information about petrol based brush cutters ? Looking for one, even if used. I think the ones which used fixed blades to cut (and not the wire type cutter) would be better

Here's an innovative way to tackle e-waste: upcycling the e-waste into flower pots.

Gardening experts in Team BHP?-ewaste.jpg

Note: the "BuyNow" is from the image on this page. Not put intentionally

https://www.thebetterindia.com/19509...TB9PVwYzUiYQSc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikalp (Post 4642961)
Guys please suggest some good Gardening channels on Youtube etc. that you follow for your gardening needs/suggestions and ideas.

Thanks.

I have occasionally watched "Gardening is my passion".
He is a horticulturist and also Indian so the advice is more tuned to our environment/ plants.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet (Post 4659754)
I have occasionally watched "Gardening is my passion".
He is a horticulturist and also Indian so the advice is more tuned to our environment/ plants.

Yes, I watch his videos as well. Good information.

Mom has these white bugs attacking her plants. I used a bit of neem oil and it seems under control. Theyre all over, like some coating. What do you experts use for pests?

Sebring, neem oil all the way. Spray diligently every day. And you can continue with the neem oil as a deterrent.

We have had an attack too. I think it’s to coincide with the change of seasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 4582931)
A petrol-head's DIY Fruit-plucker basket:

Finally got a chance yesterday to try it out - and it worked well. Plucked some Chiku/Sapota from a tree. 3-4 fruits at one go before empyting the holding net.

May not work for Mangoes, though.