Team-BHP - Gardening experts in Team BHP?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   Gardening experts in Team BHP? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/89939-gardening-experts-team-bhp-12.html)

Can any Gardening Expert help me out? I have 2 queries which i need help with.

1. Can you specify which plant can survive indoors if i want to keep one in my room and also which is easily available in Bengaluru.

2. Need to know a flowering creeper to plant which can survive the sun as well as can be planted in a pot (large size).

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calypsoGT (Post 3676789)
Can any Gardening Expert help me out? I have 2 queries which i need help with.

1. Can you specify which plant can survive indoors if i want to keep one in my room and also which is easily available in Bengaluru.

2. Need to know a flowering creeper to plant which can survive the sun as well as can be planted in a pot (large size).

Thanks in advance.

Money plants are popular indoors, but they may require a bit of sun, say once a week.

Crotons also keep well indoors.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/hous...ton-plants.htm

Just remember, that excepting moss, all plants need a bit of sunshine once in a while. So be prepared to "Sun" the plants every SUnday for a couple of hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aroy (Post 3677037)
Money plants are popular indoors, but they may require a bit of sun, say once a week.

Crotons also keep well indoors.
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/hous...ton-plants.htm

Just remember, that excepting moss, all plants need a bit of sunshine once in a while. So be prepared to "Sun" the plants every SUnday for a couple of hours.

I wish to place the plant on a table. Need something smaller than a croton and not as general as a feng shui plant.

Also, can you help me out with the creeper query? Need a creeper that blossoms flower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by calypsoGT (Post 3677250)
I wish to place the plant on a table. Need something smaller than a croton and not as general as a feng shui plant.

Also, can you help me out with the creeper query? Need a creeper that blossoms flower.

In that case go to a couple of nurseries and have a look at the pots on display with them. They may have croton in a small pot.

Quote:

... Also, can you help me out with the creeper query? Need a creeper that blossoms flower.

Since you are in Bangalore, try visiting Krishnendra Nursery (deep inside Siddapura, opposite Lalbagh East gate). They have a lot of varieties of flowering creepers. One is Morning Glory - purple flowers. I love 2 other varieties they have, but don't remember names. Perhaps you will recognize them having seen them on compound walls of houses. One bears yellow trumpet-like flowers, and the other one bears bunches of orange flowers that look like fingers of a hand.

For a tabletop plant, you can consider a Hosta like Pleioblastus Fortunei / Dwarf Whitestripe. It is a very hardy plant which grows well indoors, though you should show it sunlight a day each week. Will grow decently in a 6" pot. These are also available with Krishnendra and other nurseries in Siddapura. Maybe even at the Nurserymen's Cooperative in Lalbagh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 3676224)
You can try Garden Care - Ulsoor
Here is the contact number - 25566881

Thank you Volkman.

I had been to that place over the weekend. He doesn't have any stock anymore and won't be having anytime soon. He said most of the folks go out some wooded area and collect it from there and nobody is interested in buying from him. He also said nobody stocks it anymore in the whole of Bangalore.

Tough luck :(

does someone know where I can get food grade h2o2 (hydrogen peroxide)?
any local store or online?

I find that chemists don't keep food grade ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avimal (Post 3894500)
grade ones.

In my city I got this from a local chemist to speed up germination. Other place I will have inquired is at Lab suppliers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 3894528)
In my city I got this from a local chemist to speed up germination. Other place I will have inquired is at Lab suppliers.

I also require it for aiding germination. Local chemists dont keep food grade ones. I think the one you used is also not food graded. I have heard that one should only use food grades on plants. Did that solution worked for you earlier?

Quote:

If you are not looking for anything exotic, how about Mint?

I put 2-3 stems of Pudina in a 100 ml glass bottle, added water and changed the water every 2 days. left it on the South facing window pane which gets lots of Sunlight in winter months.

In 1 week, it had developed roots and started showing leaf growth. You will need to expose it to sunshine to keep it healthy.

Mint is a creeper, but nothing stops you from chopping it when it grow too long and put the chopped stem back into water. If growing in Water, please use an amber/bottle green glass or an opaque container to avoid algae.

Quote:

Originally Posted by avimal (Post 3894536)
?

I got Strawberry + Kiwi + Dragonfruit seeds via eBay.
Am yet to get any success, have heard of Peroxide 1/10 part with rest water, of 3% concentration, eliminating stress in plants or seeds during germination. I used this 6% drops, raw on wet coco peet.
I have filtered another batch of strawberry seeds from fruits and are presently hibernating in deepfreezer for two weeks.

How do you kill the small Peepal trees that start growing in the cracks/crevices of walls/pillars?
I tried to wrench it out using pliers:
1. I realized that it is quite deep+wide rooted and not easy to pull out like grass.
2. The damn thing sprays some chemical in self defense that causes rashes on my exposed skin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 3895293)
How do you kill the small Peepal trees that start growing in the cracks/crevices of walls/pillars?
I tried to wrench it out using pliers:
1. I realized that it is quite deep+wide rooted and not easy to pull out like grass.
2. The damn thing sprays some chemical in self defense that causes rashes on my exposed skin.

Search the net for specific herbicide. If you do not find any, then spray anti-termite chemicals, they work every time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ritz3645 (Post 3895010)
I got Strawberry + Kiwi + Dragonfruit seeds via eBay.
Am yet to get any success, have heard of Peroxide 1/10 part with rest water, of 3% concentration, eliminating stress in plants or seeds during germination. I used this 6% drops, raw on wet coco peet.
I have filtered another batch of strawberry seeds from fruits and are presently hibernating in deepfreezer for two weeks.

I could not find food grade one anywhere. So I am trying 6% solution ( from chemist shop), diluted with water on existing plants to see if this helps first. Then I may try it for germination as well.

Hi Guys,

I live in Bangalore outskirts near Gottigere, Bannerghatta road, in a layout where there are hardly any trees and our site is West facing.
Our house is in the same lane as electric pole and sewage line. But i want to plant two saplings in front of our house only which can grow during a period of time to trees and which can provide shelter and nice breeze during summers.

Kindly guide me on which plant saplings should i grow and any guide as to where i can get it would also be helpful.

Many thanks.